• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C3 MD/VA brawl tournament thread upcoming 5/23 saturday

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
ah ok maybe i'll "take the day off"

twins tourney??? I can only go in the evening strangely enough

Jon do you work on sat? We could both go if you don't, but i'm guessing you do.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
is azen coming? I been wanting to see him play I have only heard he Is the best lucario player in the U.S.
if he does go I wanna see how good my lucario is compared to his. lucario and fox rule

anyone wanna be on teams with me

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
D.amn this tourney might be in the single digits now :laugh:

Sorry G-Reg... you're cool and a great TO, but no one likes C3.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
i'm gonna try to make silver spring tourney

I think H2YL is going that way as well

which leaves, no one...Tope you may want to cancel this event :(

TheYoster

Smash Journeyman
Tope maybe you should lower the entry fee to attract more people if you're thinking of competing with Deez 'tournament which is on the same date as this. Either that or cancel

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i dont think thats an option. C3 isnt going to change the venue fee, iit's a business that tries to accommodate gamers, and a $5 entrance fee tourney with a $10 venue fee isnt going to work. C3 is just higher stakes at a higher class facility complete with TVs in a video game center atmosphere. Apparently people would rather pay a venue fee under 5$ with and play for lower stakes in someones cramped house. I think $10 to hang out all day in a place designed to accommodate a large group of gamers is pretty fair, but the smash community has been spoiled by lower entrance fees and playing at peoples houses. IMO people don't get better playing for lower stakes, and paying a few bucks to be cramped in someones basement isn't as good a value as $10 in an actual gaming center. If that's how tournaments are going to be for now on, then C3 will probably be no more.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
i dont think thats an option. C3 isnt going to change the venue fee, iit's a business that tries to accommodate gamers, and a $5 entrance fee tourney with a $10 venue fee isnt going to work. C3 is just higher stakes at a higher class facility complete with TVs in a video game center atmosphere. Apparently people would rather pay a venue fee under 5$ with and play for lower stakes in someones cramped house. I think $10 to hang out all day in a place designed to accommodate a large group of gamers is pretty fair, but the smash community has been spoiled by lower entrance fees and playing at peoples houses. IMO people don't get better playing for lower stakes, and paying a few bucks to be cramped in someones basement isn't as good a value as $10 in an actual gaming center. If that's how tournaments are going to be for now on, then C3 will probably be no more.
I would rather go to a venue as well- but the pocket hurts right now Greg, and this is for everyone. Plus people like H2YL and Originals will go to the house tourneys over the lan centers since the venue fee is cheaper- therefore the competition doesn't suffer at all.

Also, the DC metro area doesn't like leaving DC, and that's where you get a bulk of competition.

Also- no one ever beats the elite players anyways- it's always H2YL/Orig/Cooters at the top of the results, so to me its more like "why should i give them 10 bucks when i can give them 5" since my placings aren't that good...

Just my $0.02

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's just a matter of convenience for me. C3 is in VA, while Evil Twinz is down the street. A 5 or 10 dollar difference isn't too big of a tradeoff for bigger stakes and better competition, but I can't get there.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I being a 4 year old preschooler means I does not have a 10$ venue fee and a 10$ entry fee because then I have no moneys :( but I would go but I can't this weekend due to other stuff but all you other peoples that has jobs and **** go god dammit no johns open your wallet and pull out a few extra bucks for the great venue especially if you live in VA also C3 is better then Cyberden WAS because they had laggy TV and you had to bring your own at C3 there are plenty of TV most of the time too many so you don't even have to bring one so lets bring C3 back.

TheYoster

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if its just me but I would definitely chose 20+tv in a spacious area with comfortable chairs, enough walking space and ventilation over 4-7 tv in 2 normal living rooms with low ceiling for that extra 5 bucks.

The thing I notice about going to tournaments for the past 10 months is that I have way more fun playing them at a venue then at someone's house because you will get more time to play friendlies and you can be as loud as you want. Plus you don't have to tell people to "move the hell out of the way!!" when you're playing your tournament match due the the lack of space.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
That's fine, I understand people don't want to fork over the money. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just saying you get what you pay for. Cheap venue fee = cheap venue, and if people want to save $5 by having to stand up all day in a cramped basement than that's fine.

A venue that is equipped with the things needed for a functional and comfortable brawl tournament might cost around $10 to be there all day playing, and the closest thing MD/VA has to that now is C3. Something of that price will only happen every 1-2 months, it's not like you are shelling out $10 every 2 weeks, whereas you are giving $3-$5 every 1-2 weeks with basement tourneys. Something inside or close to the beltway would be more convenient, sure, but until that happens C3 is all we have, and if C3 is gone than all were gonna have is $5 entry basement tourneys, which are fun but inconsistent and somewhat uncomfortable (no offense to chu, chus has kept smashers in our area together for years when we havent had venues), and that's all the community will ever be.

However, if you have that "h2yl/cooters/etc. will just get the money anyway, so why enter" mindset, you'll never improve, guaranteed. Higher entry fee DOES attract more and better competition, and it's not the "better" players that always win, it's the "most competitive" players that always win. And you're wrong, I know that H2YL would much rather go to the lan center tourneys because the ENTRANCE fee is higher, meaning better payouts.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Part of the reason might be because C3s keep starting at like 6pm, and some of us feel like we're getting gypped paying more for a lot less smash. I liked Cyberden because it was always an all-day event (not to mention a lot closer to me).

Also from what I've seen, apart from the ECRC C3, Chu's biweeklies, cheap and in a basement, have been attracting more/better competition than C3 has.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Greg I might be able to make this due to the fact that it is a night tourney and its 10 minutes away from my house

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
However, if you have that "h2yl/cooters/etc. will just get the money anyway, so why enter" mindset, you'll never improve, guaranteed. Higher entry fee DOES attract more and better competition, and it's not the "better" players that always win, it's the "most competitive" players that always win. And you're wrong, I know that H2YL would much rather go to the lan center tourneys because the ENTRANCE fee is higher, meaning better payouts.
Yeah, i'd rather see them do that too- but even Azen likes the cheap tourneys at the people's houses. Dunno why but those attract him better.

I agree with JCaesar if it were all day it would be better because you can enjoy the day there and eat lunch with friends and a great day of smash. The $10 venue fee wouldn't be a bother to me at all.

but yeah you're right Greg, i should step my attitude, that was a scrub line and that's probably why i'm not improving as much as the other smashers.

MattyP

Smash Apprentice
I'm bringing some Fredericksburg Brawlers to this. We came to the last C3 event and got handled, but we want some revenge.. :) Been practicing since. Also, probably picking Kojin up and bringing him with us.

TheYoster

Smash Journeyman
That's fine, I understand people don't want to fork over the money. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just saying you get what you pay for. Cheap venue fee = cheap venue, and if people want to save $5 by having to stand up all day in a cramped basement than that's fine.

A venue that is equipped with the things needed for a functional and comfortable brawl tournament might cost around $10 to be there all day playing, and the closest thing MD/VA has to that now is C3. Something of that price will only happen every 1-2 months, it's not like you are shelling out $10 every 2 weeks, whereas you are giving $3-$5 every 1-2 weeks with basement tourneys. Something inside or close to the beltway would be more convenient, sure, but until that happens C3 is all we have, and if C3 is gone than all were gonna have is $5 entry basement tourneys, which are fun but inconsistent and somewhat uncomfortable (no offense to chu, chus has kept smashers in our area together for years when we havent had venues), and that's all the community will ever be.

In other words...Come help support the best venue in MD/VA instead of the twin's pocket money.

Edit: Also I need to teammate

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
The reason it's been pushed back starting so late IS because we keep having low attendence.

Why clear an entire day for 30 people when you can do a decent tournament in 7 hours?

If more people start showing up we go back to all day events.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
In other words...Come help support the best venue in MD/VA instead of the twin's pocket money.

Edit: Also I need to teammate
The reason it's been pushed back starting so late IS because we keep having low attendence.

Why clear an entire day for 30 people when you can do a decent tournament in 7 hours?

If more people start showing up we go back to all day events.
^^ see more people start joining it goes back to all day events :O

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'd show up if it was closer/near metro/ had a ride. I'm tired of cramped tournaments where I spend most of my time waiting due to a lack of setups, especially since I need to practice instead of watching others play or learning from others since I think I got the basics down.

I'd totally go to this tournament over the Twin's (not that I have anything against them) since I'm tired of being in people's basements. I don't have a ride and the twin's tournament is close to metro so... >_>;

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
A venue that is equipped with the things needed for a functional and comfortable brawl tournament might cost around $10 to be there all day playing, and the closest thing MD/VA has to that now is C3. Something of that price will only happen every 1-2 months, it's not .
Why not try Game Over in St. Charles Mall in Waldorf or is that too far from everyone?

OO and C3 RULES! (tries not to seem like I'm trying to steal business from C3.) Just trying to give another option.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Waldorf is further than C3 for me actually :\ although i know someone who lives right there. Waldorf is about 1hr. 30mins from westminster

I can get to this in an hour if I do things right, which I will

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Also GIMR and his bro Apostle found a venue in Maryland about a 45 minute drive from NoVA and if they start hosting hopefully people go to those a lot and they won't have to stop them I <3 venues

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i'm not coming cus i kinda just follow the crowd.... i went to like the last 3 or 4 C3 tournies... but attendance just keeps getting smaller and smaller..., there products for sale are kinda high, and my friend got ****** outta money (mighta been a mistake but it was still kinda gay on the staffs part) it stopped seeming worth it to me lol... but if more people start showing up again, i would come

Deez.

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to compete with C3. And honestly who likes paying more for the same enjoyment that you can get at a someones house. and whats the stakes have to do with anything with people getting better? so your telling me if H2YL all showed up at mine and a bunch of random scrubs showed up at C3 you would get better just by paying more money? Surrree what ever you say G-reg. I understand that your trying to vouch for C3 because your sort of like the co-host there. and there's nothing wrong with that. I just want to take over and keep the small friendly tournaments going on since Chu might be stopping for a while. and keep the smash community in effect. If people just wait for C3 to host those really big expensive tournaments we would get less and less people imo. But like i said im just trying to host those small tournaments for the smash community that love those cheap tournaments and like to have fun. and btw my house isnt cramped or small.:chuckle:

boss8

Smash Hero

listen to yourself ma dude...you'd rather pay for luxary then getting the better things in life handed to your for alot less......some people can go to C3...but others have hard times and dont like spending alot of money for unfair reasons...as to not eating inside the venue..pizza 3 bucks a slice and sodas being 1,25 for a can!! wow...id rather go where the money is but at the same time pay a lower fee while having fun...yes C3 has its moments....but other then that...its WAYYYYYY to expensive....i guess a small basement is worth morr to some then others....

forute

Smash Ace
If you want to help the smash community now that Chu's not doing biweeklies for the time being, you should start by not hosting a tournament on the same day as another nearby one... I don't think Chu's ever done that at least since he started doing Brawl tournaments

Not beefing or anything, just pointing out that it really just splits the community up and cuts attendance at both tournaments.

listen to yourself ma dude...you'd rather pay for luxary then getting the better things in life handed to your for alot less......some people can go to C3...but others have hard times and dont like spending alot of money for unfair reasons...as to not eating inside the venue..pizza 3 bucks a slice and sodas being 1,25 for a can!! wow...id rather go where the money is but at the same time pay a lower fee while having fun...yes C3 has its moments....but other then that...its WAYYYYYY to expensive....i guess a small basement is worth morr to some then others....
Maybe some people like big venues with lots of seats and setups and others like saving money, and although I prefer the former, most of all I like not having to choose between them

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Honestly deez I think it was a bad idea to host on the same day of a tourney that was planned a month in advance that pretty much screws over tope and that's kinda ****ed up as it is. You could of tried to host it on like the week after CH5 and planks but hosting it on the same day as another tourney is kinda stupid and it won't help you get more attendance. I have nothing against you or your tourneys and I never said you intentionally did that but if you want to help the community don't host on the same day as previously planned tourneys.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well, some people weren't going to go to C3 regardless (I know I wasn't). For the last few months, C3 has had pretty poor attendance even without direct competition (excluding the ECRC one of course).

It's nice to have a closer, cheaper option.

forute

Smash Ace
It's fine for people who weren't going to go to one (Although the attendance of the tournament they did plan on going to will still suffer), but the option would've been there for those people regardless of whether the tournaments were on the same day, whereas people who would've liked to go to both now have to choose

Deez.

Smash Lord
If you want to help the smash community now that Chu's not doing biweeklies for the time being, you should start by not hosting a tournament on the same day as another nearby one... I don't think Chu's ever done that at least since he started doing Brawl tournaments

Not beefing or anything, just pointing out that it really just splits the community up and cuts attendance at both tournaments.

Maybe some people like big venues with lots of seats and setups and others like saving money, and although I prefer the former, most of all I like not having to choose between them
This was a last minute thing, a lot of people asked if i would host a tournament this weekend. I won't say any names but enough people asked me so I did it. In the future i won't hold a tournament on the same day as C3.:(
Honestly deez I think it was a bad idea to host on the same day of a tourney that was planned a month in advance that pretty much screws over tope and that's kinda ****ed up as it is. You could of tried to host it on like the week after CH5 and planks but hosting it on the same day as another tourney is kinda stupid and it won't help you get more attendance. I have nothing against you or your tourneys and I never said you intentionally did that but if you want to help the community don't host on the same day as previously planned tourneys.
Lil B you keep flip floppin and its quite annoying. I didn't plan on having a tournament this weekend until several people asked me to. and you to say its fuxxed up like i did it on purpose or something which isnt true at all. as i said before im not trying to compete with C3 or anything. And I'm pretty sure C3 will still have a good turnout. I'm not forcing anyone to come to mine instead of C3's.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i agree Jcaesar, it is nice to have a closer, cheaper option. There's deez, chus, planks, and that pegachris tourney which theres supposed to be more of; basement tourneys happen all the time. C3 is like every month and a half on average, it's designed to be for higher stakes at a venue to accommodate gamers, its a more serious tournament. BUT, people dont want to go, because they dont want to spend the money, and they think they are just filling H2YL's pockets. they basically assume they arent going to win money and would rather not spend the money, which is WHY people don't get better, because that's a scrubby attitude that acts subconsciously, and is a huge reason why people don't win more, they dont believe that they can, a lack of confidence. thats fine, those people can go to $5 entry fee tourneys in basements, but now those basement tourneys are being announced on the same day of big ones, 4 days in advance, and taking all the entrants. If it keeps going like that there wont be any bigger ones left.

the top 6 players at C3 get their entrace fee back, as well as top 3 teams. If you assume that you wont get that far, then you wont. stick to basement tournies. thats why the competition suffers, people would rather replace higher stakes for lower stakes because they arent confident in themselves. basement tournies are fine, but its lame to replace C3 and other venues with lower stakes basement tournies.

MattyP

Smash Apprentice
Just my 2 cents:
I've been a serious brawler for less than a year, but I'm beginning to take it pretty seriously. I went to my first big tourney last year at C3 and got whooped. But I learned... A LOT. I knew I was going to probably lose, but I went to learn. So, on Saturday, I'm going to C3 again with the same crew of fellas who went with me last time. We're not expecting to be serious threats, but we've learned a lot, and I want to see where my skills are. I'm not expecting to win. Now, I'm not knocking Chu's or anything similar to that (especially 'cause I'm new here), but when I went to one of his bi-weeklies with Kojin, I didn't really learn. Everyone wanted MM, and with so many people in a small area I couldn't actually learn.
It sounds like there are two groups of people, and neither group is right or wrong.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I wasnt one of the people that told you to hold it on the same day so how am i flip flopping all i said was i thought it was stupid to hold it on the same day as a previous planned tourney.

Top Bottom