• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 ('Terminal' - the 17th for Elite / 18th for non-Elite)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
The time it takes to draw your shot in black ops is the main problem. It's better in the IW games because you can get the shot out quicker.
I guess I'm just used to Black Op's lethargic visual stimulus requirements; it gives me more time to confirm the target in my crosshairs and fire the shot. My accuracy is rather high on BO's sniping for that very reason, just under 50%. Quickdraw renders MW3's sniping viable; most maps are far too up close and combative for traditional sniping to be reliable all the time. That's possibly one of my peeves with MW3, incidentally.

Was the draw time for snipers really that bad in BO? It feels super manageable, if not perfect for sniping, in my opinion. MW3's draw time on snipers without Quickdraw is hilariously slow. Brings me to question the correlation of Quickscoping to sniping potency, as lack of either of these would make the other near innocuous, in many instances of MW3. Without Quickscoping, snipers would lose almost every encounter when they aren't already ADS. Without potency, quickscopers would have to put more effort into their shots to get the OHK, essentially a neck or headshot, which takes more time than an AR or other gun needs to fire multiple shots, if not kill you. Hence, pistol secondaries would be more prevalent, for finishing the job if you get a hit marker, or you're caught while traditionally sniping.:applejack:

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Eh, that's been my experience with it. Run into a famas user and I just don't have time to get my scope up before I die. I'm not saying it's "horrible" but the extra time means the difference between living and dying a lot. Of course a lot of people on BO are bad now so sniping might be easier than ever.

Edit: Of course you all are probably better snipers than me. I'm interested in seeing how well you'd be able to snipe against me though, since I always destroy snipers pretty easily.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Eh, that's been my experience with it. Run into a famas user and I just don't have time to get my scope up before I die. I'm not saying it's "horrible" but the extra time means the difference between living and dying a lot. Of course a lot of people on BO are bad now so sniping might be easier than ever.

Edit: Of course you all are probably better snipers than me. I'm interested in seeing how well you'd be able to snipe against me though, since I always destroy snipers pretty easily.
Well.....if you run into a Famas user, you are supposed to die if you are at mid to close range.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I stopped using SoH in BO and went with Steady Aim pro. Helps a lot for the pro version, since I don't notice a massive change in no-scoping accuracy, with or without it. Variable Zoom is amazing in that game.

L96 is more consistent against single targets, I'd strongly recommend it, Saudi. Dragonov in BO is somewhat similar to MW2 WA2000 with Stopping Power. Pretty excellent when having to snipe multiple targets.

Also, I explained that the extra draw time has its benefits and detriments. Trying to popshot in BO is a bad idea if they enemy isn't in any range where you could just draw a pistol with better luck.:applejack:

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah when I did snipe in BO I used the L96. I never used it very much, as I died a lot to general slowness and hit markers. It just doesn't fit my playstyle of constant flanking and being aggressive. But people I have run into sniping in BO have never given me much trouble. They will kill me for sure, but much less than I usually get them.

Like I said I would be interested in playing against you since I don't expect much out of people sniping, but I don't even know if I can play BO anymore. My disc managed to get a crack in it and it won't recognize it anymore. I could download the game from my brother's disc I guess.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Well.....if you run into a Famas user, you are supposed to die if you are at mid to close range.
Black Ops is a mid to close range game. There are rarely open areas like in the IW games.
You're basically saying that snipers should lose under every circumstance
(just noticed this post Beeteedubs)

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Mobile browser destroyed my text.

Anyway, Wretched, I wouldn't know, in all my months of playing MW2, I have always used Stopping Power. It's potent range felt like the upper chest and above, that's where I am for the OHK with the WA2000. I could be aiming so high as to just be hitting their neck, but I can't tell for sure.:applejack:

L96 is not felicitous for flanking, it's bolt cycling is too time-consuming. Though I don't find it too difficult to play offensive and aggro with the L96; of course it's risky and perilous. Dragonov or PSG seem more apt for that duty. I'm compelled to say more-so Dragonov, however; the clip size is remarkable, if I recall correctly. Necessary for flanking and having to down multiple targets at a time with little or no time to reload. Whenever I did find myself in an ominous situation with L96, I'd just run away with my pistol after getting a kill or two. I'd rather take my leave with my life than getting 2-3 kills and dying. By the time I escaped, my team would typically be approaching the enemy spawn already; I try to stay moving and support them as best I can, don't play the solo sniper role with the L96 too often.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've had my best experiences with the Dragunov at mid range.

Zatch, the Wazoo killed Chest and up without stopping power. SP only helps when you put a silencer on it.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I love making people in this thread mad.

So butt hurt about someone's opinion on sniper rifles in a video game LOOOOOOOL ytho.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Black Ops is a mid to close range game. There are rarely open areas like in the IW games.
You're basically saying that snipers should lose under every circumstance
(just noticed this post Beeteedubs)
Nah, there are a decent number of sniping spots. Though i'd prefer they nerf quickscoping a little bit more in Black Ops. Don't worry Wretched, I'm sure snipers will be even more op in MW4 though.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Thanks for clarifying, Delta. Like I said, I've never played without Stopping Power in MW2, so I wouldn't know much about that one.

Nathan, when you say "nerf quickscoping", what do you mean? Only reliable form of "quickscoping" in Black Ops is dragscoping, and that requires more time to get better accuracy on the shot than trying to popshot.:applejack:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Drag Scoping is incredibly potent anyways if you know how to position yourself for it.

I like sniper balance in Black Ops because you couldn't use a Sniper well at close range (reliably, anyways). At mid range, you definitely had the capability to popshot/drag scope, depending on how well you were lined up before the shot.

Long range, you just had to aim well.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I rely on my sniper at almost every range, save for knifing ranges, most of the time. I use the M-whatever as my pistol secondary, I either draw it to run faster, or when I feel the situation is too tight for my sniper.:applejack:

I have gotten to the point where I win most encounters when I see my opponent first, and rival snipers are so easy to deal with nowadays. It also helps to know the maps to differentiate between an object and the silhouette of an enemy player.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'd be fine with sniping in Black ops if the hit detection wasn't complete trash.
Black Ops doesn't have terrible hit detection though.

I rely on my sniper at almost every range, save for knifing ranges, most of the time. I use the M-whatever as my pistol secondary, I either draw it to run faster, or when I feel the situation is too tight for my sniper.:applejack:

I have gotten to the point where I win most encounters when I see my opponent first, and rival snipers are so easy to deal with nowadays. It also helps to know the maps to differentiate between an object and the silhouette of an enemy player.
That purist.

I like to use my pistol if someone gets too close (or if I miss). I'm pretty good with the them.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Just my luck. Won't be on until next week, most likely.:applejack:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good news: I can play.

Bad news: I have to go to bed at 10:30, which is 2 hours and 9 minutes from now.:applejack:

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Couple away from a moab.

We triple cap for no reason whatsoever on dome.

Like clockwork, I kill a guy and he respawns two feet behind me and kills me.

Why are people so god damn stupid?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Joined 3 games in a row of my entire team being spawn killed and dominated. Couldn't even stay alive for 5 seconds. Went like 1-6 within a minute of my first game. Left. Joined another game. Went 5-5. Got killed by Last Stand even though every player on the other team was positive. Left. Join the third game and be killed in the first second of spawning. Other player sees me spawn in the killcam. Happens 3 more times. Throw controller.

Broke part of my controller.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Damn, this game just never favors you, Wretched. You should play with us in a party. If it doesn't lessen the stupid stuff, it'll at least seem a bit more tolerable.:applejack:

Enjoyed the games tonight, I'm beginning to understand the spawns a lot more, and exploit them with ease. Got lots of kills during that Carbon game at the C flag in the back. I haven't been killed by someone spawning on me in a while, though it was agonizing not knowing where the enemy team was spawning on Dome, it's dumb. Some spawn on B flag, and some spawn behind me at C flag, so sickening to die from that when I feel competent of the spawn system.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I love losing games because of two randoms. You'd think just two wouldn't be that big a deal, but no, we've lost at least 5 games tonight! Yay! I love losing and not going for the objective whatsoever because that's fun.

If you play domination and you're losing get your stupid *** on a flag. So irritating.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
In my experience, it's pretty bad. Far worse than Modern Warfare 2 in my opinion. wanted Pro was also pretty rage inducing. But this is not the thread to talk about it.
Hit Detection is pretty bad in MW2 as well, coming from someone who's played a lot of it recently. You just notice it more in Black Ops because people take longer to die.

My cousin may end up coercing me into playing this game sometime this week. Not really looking forward to it...

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Hit Detection is pretty bad in MW2 as well, coming from someone who's played a lot of it recently. You just notice it more in Black Ops because people take longer to die.

My cousin may end up coercing me into playing this game sometime this week. Not really looking forward to it...
I'm looking forward to it. <33333333

DSTP

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, I will most likely be unable to play with you gents, as my cousin tends to run with a full party of his own friends...
If he doesn't, have your cousin roll with us. He will experience a new echelon of awesome.

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
Hey gents, wish I could play more xbox these days, but I have exams and recently suffered a concussion, soo bright lights and monitors arent the best thing for me at the moment. TBH im pretty tired of this game, and as much as i hate Blops, if i want a good old FPS without too much BS, i'd rather play Blops barebones than any gametype on mw3.

**** RC-XD's.

Top Bottom