• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Can Smash 4 save the Wii U?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yh for Real the Galaxy series imo was garbage.

SM64 & Sunshine were galaxies better.

But no doubt....they will be a Galaxy 3 im as sure as i
Am that either one of Palutena/Lil Mac/Mewtwo will be playable.
lolno, Galaxy was more streamlined, it cut the massive amount of bull**** SM64 and Sunshine had and went straight to the platforming, anyone who thinks the Galaxy series was garbage should seriously stop playing videogames.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I really couldn't care less what the critics think/say. Top rated by them, but not by me.

Besides, that is beside the point entirely. If the next 3D Mario platformer for the Wii U really is Galaxy 3, it will make the Wii U really feel like a mere recycling of past successes. The Wii U needs titles it can call its own, especially in the case of 3D Mario platforming, as it will be the very first 3D Nintendo home console without an 'original' (as opposed to sequels) 3D Mario platformer otherwise, and that can not look good. It certainly wouldn't to me.
Super Mario 3D World isn't original? Just because it has similarities with SM3DL that doesn't mean they're the same game. First 3D Mario with local multiplayer support sounds pretty original to me.

And pulling out Metacritic as "evidence" is laughable and always has been.
I'd love to hear what game source you primarily use when it comes to game scores and reviews. The point of the metacritic list was to highlight how successful the Galaxy series has been by both critics and gamers alike, sales aside.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Super Mario 3D World isn't original? Just because it has similarities with SM3DL that doesn't mean they're the same game. First 3D Mario with local multiplayer support sounds pretty original to me.
I specifically went out of my way in the post to clarify that what I meant by the use of the word 'original' in this case, so please reread it.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I'd love to hear what game source you primarily use when it comes to game scores and reviews. The point of the metacritic list was to highlight how successful the Galaxy series has been by both critics and gamers alike, sales aside.
Metacritic, and game reviews in general, are totally unreliable for many, many reasons. A lot of the time, reviewers don't get to actually finish the games before they have to write reviews. Games will get unreasonably high scores just because they're overhyped or from a big-name series. Games will get unfairly low scores because they're difficult, the reviewer just doesn't understand the game, or they're reviewing a game from a genre they don't usually like. Some reviewers only use the 7-10 scale (coughIGNcough), while others actually use the full 0-10 range. Reviewers can be bribed. Competitive games like fighting games or MOBAs are usually only judged by their presentation and content, while the core gameplay (i.e. the single most important part) will just get a "Yeah, it's good" regardless of if it actually is or not. The list goes on and on. In the end, when you try to compile all of this into one score, what you end up with is a number that ultimately means nothing.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
lolno, Galaxy was more streamlined, it cut the massive amount of bull**** SM64 and Sunshine had and went straight to the platforming, anyone who thinks the Galaxy series was garbage should seriously stop playing videogames.
I dropped galaxy 2 within 30 or so stars.....

SM64 & Sunshine completed 100/

I think that says alot...

''In my Opnion'' :)

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I dropped galaxy 2 within 30 or so stars.....

SM64 & Sunshine completed 100/

I think that says alot...

''In my Opnion'' :)
I think that says your opinion. You've literally just said that in your own opinion your opinion says a lot. That opinion is wrong, man. Galaxy is fine, and allows a lot of versatility.

I don't they should keep pumping out sequels, but I don't see any valid reasons to trash it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I specifically went out of my way in the post to clarify that what I meant by the use of the word 'original' in this case, so please reread it.
Let me ask you this then... If the Wii U weren't struggling as it is currently sales wise would you support the idea of a Galaxy 3? Yes or no?

Metacritic, and game reviews in general, are totally unreliable for many, many reasons. A lot of the time, reviewers don't get to actually finish the games before they have to write reviews. Games will get unreasonably high scores just because they're overhyped or from a big-name series. Games will get unfairly low scores because they're difficult, the reviewer just doesn't understand the game, or they're reviewing a game from a genre they don't usually like. Some reviewers only use the 7-10 scale (coughIGNcough), while others actually use the full 0-10 range. Reviewers can be bribed. Competitive games like fighting games or MOBAs are usually only judged by their presentation and content, while the core gameplay (i.e. the single most important part) will just get a "Yeah, it's good" regardless of if it actually is or not. The list goes on and on. In the end, when you try to compile all of this into one score, what you end up with is a number that ultimately means nothing.
Nobody's stupid enough to look at a Metacritic score and immediately say "WOW THAT'S AN AMAZING/TERRIBLE GAME." That's not my point. Metacritic scores are good to look at when you need to know what the general public thinks about a game since the score is based on a compilation of multiple reviews from both big game reviewers that could possibly be bribed and smaller ones alike, NOT how good the game is itself. Most of the time the scores reflect this pretty accurately. Even if you don't trust professional reviewers you can check out the "User Scores" as well which are scored by regular peeps like us. My example is just one of many that proves how well received the Galaxy series is. Bottom line is that even if you don't trust Metacritic or whatever my point still stands, Mario Galaxy is one of the highest acclaimed games of all time.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Nobody's stupid enough to look at a Metacritic score and immediately say "WOW THAT'S AN AMAZING/TERRIBLE GAME." That's not my point. Metacritic scores are good to look at when you need to know what the general public thinks about a game since the score is based on a compilation of multiple reviews from both big game reviewers that could possibly be bribed and smaller ones alike, NOT how good the game is itself. Most of the time the scores reflect this pretty accurately. Even if you don't trust professional reviewers you can check out the "User Scores" as well which are scored by regular peeps like us. My example is just one of many that proves how well received the Galaxy series is. Bottom line is that even if you don't trust Metacritic or whatever my point still stands, Mario Galaxy is one of the highest acclaimed games of all time.
The user scores are even worse. :/

But I do understand what you're saying. It's pretty well known that most people like the Galaxy games and Metacritic supports that.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Well if smash can't if sonic boom does well, it could save the wii u. Think about all those sonic fans, who want a terrific Sonic game for once. And once they release, X, and Zelda Wii U, and Metroid, the Wii U will be just fine

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Let me ask you this then... If the Wii U weren't struggling as it is currently sales wise would you support the idea of a Galaxy 3? Yes or no?
I would never support the idea of Galaxy 3.

Not only would it only work to make the Wii U look even more like a recycled console, it would not even begin to be able to 'save' the Wii U financially. I believe that NSMB games have always sold a ton more, and guess what? The Wii U launched with a NSMB title, and it didn't do much.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I would never support the idea of Galaxy 3.

Not only would it only work to make the Wii U look even more like a recycled console, it would not even begin to be able to 'save' the Wii U financially. I believe that NSMB games have always sold a ton more, and guess what? The Wii U launched with a NSMB title, and it didn't do much.
NSMB is notorious. They even directly copy pasted some cover art over.
I don't understand how a company with all these amazing ips gets stuck in a rut with making the same damn Super Mario game over and over.

Regardless, Nintendo needs a new slate now.
Gen 2 introduced 3D. Gen 3 introduced online. Gen 4 has introduced ????/****ty gimmicks no one really likes and few devs incorporate well.

Nintendo needs to become the leaders of the home console again by really breaking the mold with Gen 5. And hopefully they've learned from the 3DS and WiiU that STARTING with a strong library really helps those critical early hype sales.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you look closer, you can see that Nintendo has basically done that with almost every Mario game since 2005ish.

I can't even specify how much I have seen this piece.
http://www.mariowiki.com/images/9/9a/Mario_Artwork_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros.png
Really though, how many ways can you put four characters in a 2D area? Unless you put them in a 3D plane, (which would be false advertising as far as casual Mario fans are concerned) they're pretty much doomed to look the same.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
NSMB is notorious. They even directly copy pasted some cover art over.
I don't understand how a company with all these amazing ips gets stuck in a rut with making the same damn Super Mario game over and over.

Regardless, Nintendo needs a new slate now.
Gen 2 introduced 3D. Gen 3 introduced online. Gen 4 has introduced ????/****ty gimmicks no one really likes and few devs incorporate well.

Nintendo needs to become the leaders of the home console again by really breaking the mold with Gen 5. And hopefully they've learned from the 3DS and WiiU that STARTING with a strong library really helps those critical early hype sales.
The Wiimote isn't a gimmick, neither is the GamePad.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well, you're the only one that thinks that.
No, I don't see what's the problem with new control methods, the Wiimote wasn't for everyone, but the GamePad offers one amazing experience, it's just so smooth and pleasing to use it. Also, 'no one really likes'? I liked the Wiimote a lot, and I LOVE the Gamepad, I've loved it from the moment it was announced.

Last edited:

JediLink

Smash Ace
No, I don't see what's the problem with new control methods, the Wiimote wasn't for everyone, but the GamePad offers one amazing experience, it's just so smooth and pleasing to use it. Also, 'no one really likes'? I liked the Wiimote a lot, and I LOVE the Gamepad, I've loved it from the moment it was announced.
gimmick
noun
noun: gimmick; plural noun: gimmicks
. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.

You know why so many people bought a Wii? It wasn't because it had a great line-up of games, or convenient features. The thing couldn't even play DVDs. It was because "Look, you can swing your arm to hit the ball! You can steer the car by moving the wheel!" That's a textbook example of a gimmick. Motion controls were the Wii's gimmick. The Wii U tried the same thing ("Look, the controller has a screen on it!") but unfortunately that didn't quite have the success they were expecting. The gimmick was simply unappealing (I know you love it, I'm talking about the general public here), and the console didn't really have much to fall back on after that. It still doesn't even play DVDs.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
gimmick
noun
. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.

You know why so many people bought a Wii? It wasn't because it had a great line-up of games, or convenient features. The thing couldn't even play DVDs. It was because "Look, you can swing your arm to hit the ball! You can steer the car by moving the wheel!" That's a textbook example of a gimmick. Motion controls were the Wii's gimmick. The Wii U tried the same thing ("Look, the controller has a screen on it!") but unfortunately that didn't quite have the success they were expecting. The gimmick was simply unappealing (I know you love it, I'm talking about the general public here), and the console didn't really have much to fall back on after that. It still doesn't even play DVDs.
I don't normally like to side with D-idara, But you walked right into that one.
Staying 'normal' is just as much a gimmick as changing.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Ignoring that both the wiimote and the game pad have alienated many 3rd party devs from producing for Nintendo consoles?
I just can't think of any quality game where motion controls have been a defining merit. I think the only game with motion controls I've ever enjoyed was Wiisports.

I'll state right out that the game pad has many merits. Probably enough to warrant it's existence. But it's a gimmick and it isn't a good enough one to attract buyers.
For years Nintendo has been trying to tap into a market of gamers that simply isn't very lucrative. The WiiU is the price they pay.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Can it save the wii u? Will it save the wii u? Pointless question Super smash bros U HAVE to save the wii u that's it if that game doesn't meet its expectations its game over. If they fail miserably then Mario kart 8 will mostly fail.

If smash bros does average then mario K8 can give the wii u sales a little shove placing nintendo in the safe zone. Sakurai is under immense pressure this game will decide the wii u's future.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Ignoring that both the wiimote and the game pad have alienated many 3rd party devs from producing for Nintendo consoles?
I just can't think of any quality game where motion controls have been a defining merit. I think the only game with motion controls I've ever enjoyed was Wiisports.

I'll state right out that the game pad has many merits. Probably enough to warrant it's existence. But it's a gimmick and it isn't a good enough one to attract buyers.
For years Nintendo has been trying to tap into a market of gamers that simply isn't very lucrative. The WiiU is the price they pay.
Cough cough Mario Galaxy one and two, and Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword cough cough

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Cough cough Mario Galaxy one and two, and Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword cough cough
Skyward Sword wasn't really particularly great though.

Anyway, the problem with the Wii U wasn't necessarily any particular hardware choices, there's only one thing that really matters in this business and that's marketing, and Nintendo dropped the ball HARD on that one this gen.

Nintendo marketed the DS and Wii aggressively with stuff like Touch Generation and all those ads with celebrities. You may not be in agreement with the targeted demographic with such a campaign, but the marketing made sure Nintendo had a very strong presence out there with the public and that's very important. Wii U just never really marketed itself right, and obviously there's been the whole fiasco where they haven't really released ANYTHING worth buying a $300+ piece of hardware for. Unlike Apple, Nintendo hasn't built itself an army of mindless zombies (well... not enough), so it still has to *gasp* make its consoles worth buying.

I definitely see Smash 4 moving a lot more Wii Us, but its fate is already sealed tbh, and Nintendo will just have to ride this out until the next gen, which I think they could do well to usher in a little early with capable hardware (not necessarily fast GPUs and ****, but a lot of internal memory would be a good starting point), and some actual release titles, 3rd party support to the point that they at LEAST start getting **** like FIFA and Madden I mean good God man.

So yeah, Smash 4 will do what the Wii U needs, incentivise the purchase of the console which even for hardcore Nintendo fans has been sort of difficult to do. Honestly I like the console's concept, and I will pick it up when Smash comes out (see Nintendo?), but you have to get out the gates early to win, and Nintendo didn't do that, so uhhhh

Also Nintendo built like no new iconic Nintendo characters on Wii, that's sort of a sad though, I kinda like how a couple GC stars were present in Brawl, highlighting Nintendo's continued evolution and new ground. Having said that, kinda love the Wii Fit trainer lmao.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Say what you will about Skyward Sword, but the controls were definitely one of its greatest strengths.
No they kinda weren't though because they had a tendency not to register every now and again. You may think that's acceptable, but if someone were to tell you Mario wouldn't jump 1 time out of 10 when you pressed A, you would probably consider that to be totally unacceptable, because it sort of is.

JediLink

Smash Ace
No they kinda weren't though because they had a tendency not to register every now and again. You may think that's acceptable, but if someone were to tell you Mario wouldn't jump 1 time out of 10 when you pressed A, you would probably consider that to be totally unacceptable, because it sort of is.
Any problems with the controls were on your end, and same goes with whoever else complains about it. They were perfect for me 100% of the time.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Any problems with the controls were on your end, and same goes with whoever else complains about it. They were perfect for me 100% of the time.
The fact that problems exist on many people's ends is cause enough for concern, stop being obtuse.

JediLink

Smash Ace
The fact that problems exist on many people's ends is cause enough for concern, stop being obtuse.
If the sensor bar is on top of the TV and aligned in the middle, you're sitting aligned with the sensor bar and a reasonable distance from the TV, there's no source of IR interference, you put the Wiimote on a flat surface when it asks you to calibrate it, and you don't do anything stupid like hold the Wiimote upside down, then the controls will work. Of course, that is a lot of setting-up required compared to just using a controller, and that is an understandable complaint, but when the controls work they feel natural and intuitive in a way that would have never been possible with a controller.

Or maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones that had the controls work for them, who knows.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I agree with the video

Even though smash bris wii u and mario kart 8 will help but it's going to take a lot more than that to get the wii u back on top

By the way I think. The real reason this system crashed is because all of those company changed there mind of supporting the wii u system (overall good job with the video)

Ps I can probably give you info on how many mutiplayer guys there are in wii u version of smash bros I have a wii u

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I agree with the video

Even though smash bris wii u and mario kart 8 will help but it's going to take a lot more than that to get the wii u back on top

By the way I think. The real reason this system crashed is because all of those company changed there mind of supporting the wii u system (overall good job with the video)

Ps I can probably give you info on how many mutiplayer guys there are in wii u version of smash bros I have a wii u
If sega makes an actually critically acclaimed sonic game with sonic boom. Well that would help a ton

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

ITT: No one knows what the word gimmick means.
gimmick
noun
1. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.

You think sony's 'normal' controllers aren't attracting attention?

Do you really think Nintendo will ever win back third parties? Yamuchi pretty much sealed Nintendo's fate with the N64's intentionally backwards design.

Jackson

Smash Lord
SAVING it might be a bit of a stretch, but it will definitely attract a lot of sales. Smash is a popular series, we all know that, and even if the 3DS one might be more appealing to some, many people will definitely want the console experience. Me? I will get both, of course :)

Trust me guys, I have a Wii U, and even though it's missing many key titles, it's still a fun console. Give it a chance.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Almost everyone owns a Wii, but the problem is, that most of the games on the Wii were really unbearable to play.

This made the Wii U not attractive to a lot of people, because people think they'll get the same experience as with the Wii...
The Wii U has to put itself more out there... Show how it plays games like Call of Duty for example... Showcase that HD a bit, you know!
No first party Nintendo game will ever work if the Wii U won't get rid of it's Wii reputation.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
They just need to release Nintendo news. This is how I feel, because of the lack of news.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If the sensor bar is on top of the TV and aligned in the middle, you're sitting aligned with the sensor bar and a reasonable distance from the TV, there's no source of IR interference, you put the Wiimote on a flat surface when it asks you to calibrate it, and you don't do anything stupid like hold the Wiimote upside down, then the controls will work. Of course, that is a lot of setting-up required compared to just using a controller, and that is an understandable complaint, but when the controls work they feel natural and intuitive in a way that would have never been possible with a controller.

Or maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones that had the controls work for them, who knows.
It's a shaky business. It's not to say that you can't get a seamless experience, but there can often be factors in a household that hamper this. It's not always about distance, there's all kinds of noise going on with devices and sometimes no matter how well you seem to calibrate, things go awry. Nintendo did a great job of making the best of it, but when you look at it from a basic standard, consistent failure to register inputs is just something that shouldn't fly in a game, and that's more down to the limitations of the tech.

It's a shame, because in a lot of ways I do actually enjoy motion controls.

funnily enough I actually like the tablet idea more, I think it's way more practical, but they've made pretty much no use of it and it's the main contributor to the cost of the console (and why the console itself is so underpowered).

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
the entire smash community will buy a wii u for smash. Will that save a struggling console? who knows. The wii u just needs games and it needs to keep up with its competition. I will be buying a wii u when a smash release date is announced guaranteed.

Hoodlumz

Smash Rookie
Personally, I wont be buying it for my 3DS because I play way too aggressive and I would probably bust the analog stick right off because of how flimsy it is. definitely don't plan on buying another 3DS XL in the near future so I'll just stick to the console version. i'm sure other players like myself will feel the same way, it just wouldnt be the same on the 3DS.
NO 3DS VERSION HUH? HE LIES LADIES AND GENTLEMEN HE PRE ORDERED BOTH YESTERDAY! :p

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Unless Smash Bros does something amazing (and no, that doesn't mean putting Ridley in the game), if MK8 doesn't push sales, smash won't do jack, or will hardly do jack at best to the Wii U.

Quote me on this. Especially if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Almost everyone owns a Wii, but the problem is, that most of the games on the Wii were really unbearable to play.

This made the Wii U not attractive to a lot of people, because people think they'll get the same experience as with the Wii...
The Wii U has to put itself more out there... Show how it plays games like Call of Duty for example... Showcase that HD a bit, you know!
No first party Nintendo game will ever work if the Wii U won't get rid of it's Wii reputation.
Most of the games on the Wii were really unbearable to play...? We must've played different Super Mario Galaxies, Skyward Swords, Twilight Princesses, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Return to Dreamlands, New Super Mario Bros. Wiis, Super Smash Bros. Brawls, No More Heroes, Madworlds...

Last edited:
Top Bottom