• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Can Smash 4 save the Wii U?

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
One game saving a console is extremely hard to do. I'm doubting Nintendo can even handle the demand needed for Smash to save itself.

T

Trick or Treat

The major thing I disagree with, from the video, is already looking to the next console. Sure, I'm mostly saying that because I just ordered my Wii U this week and was hoping it'd last for a few years.

But still. I think the Wii U can be saved, but not by SSB4 alone. I found this just a few minutes ago:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/20550/1/...8-super-smash-bros-and-more.html#.UwelJF4_SCI

Not like it's anything new, or anything, but it's a nice rundown of some of the titles to expect in the near future. I think all of those, combined, could really give the Wii U a large boost. And beyond that, continuing good series/franchises. A new Metroid game, maybe even a new Animal Crossing, a new Mario Party, and improved sequels to sports spin-offs like Mario Strikers and Sluggers. Another Pokemon game could be cool, too. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

To stick with Mario for a second, I'd personally love to see another large-scale Mario game along the lines of Galaxy or Sunshine. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out now.

Also, something new needs to be done. Whether it's more support for third-parties, or some new idea for a game, anything could work.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Most of the games on the Wii were really unbearable to play...? We must've played different Super Mario Galaxies, Skyward Swords, Twilight Princesses, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Return to Dreamlands, New Super Mario Bros. Wiis, Super Smash Bros. Brawls, No More Heroes, Madworlds...
Half of those are extremely underground, in my country, at least

I take back my statement though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not sure Smash 4 will save the WiiU but I have no doubts that Nintendo will at least last as long as it takes to release the game. I hope and even expect it does but if not, I hope it's a beautiful swan song.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
At best, I think Smash Bros U will be very much like Melee, meaning pretty everyone who owns the console, also owns the game. I'm not sure if it will win over newcomers though.The Smash series has always been a love letter to Nintendo fans, so if you have no interest in Nintendo, chances are you'll have no interest in the game. I hope it does do well though and I have heard stories that people play Smash Bros at a friends house and suddenly they become fans. I myself was turned on to Melee after playing it at someone else's house (though I did already own a Gamecube).

mynameisdog4

Smash Apprentice
I think a limited edtion bundle with pro controllers and what have you could seriously help the wii U, but to save it they need to step up their advertising. The Wii was probably the best advertised console ever, everybody knew what it was, but the Wii U hasn't had near that level of advertising. Most of the casual market they generally target have no idea the thing even exists, thats why its failing so hard.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx

For anyone who can't watch the video Max basically summarizes why the Wii U has most likely been doing such a terrible job in the market in terms of console sales. The system is selling so terribly it's doing even worse than the Gamecube, which was one of Nintendo's most unsuccessful systems (one again only in terms of profits and sales... I love my GC <3).

Max attributes most of the Wii U's failures thanks to the lack of quality first party content post launch. The system has been out for over a year and yet most of the highly anticipated next gen titles either:
a) haven't even been given a release date yet or aren't expected to be launched until later this year(Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, Bayonetta 2, etc.)
or
b) haven't even been announced yet (Zelda Wii U, Metroid Wii U, etc.)

You know things are bad when New Super Mario Bros U, the 2nd best selling game in the entire Wii U library, is struggling to barely sell 2 million units while New Super Mario Bros Wii is currently sitting pretty at nearly 28 million units sold. Of course the latter has been out for about 3-4 years longer but there's no way the former will even come close to those sales numbers at the rate the Wii U is selling at.

Will Smash 4 be able to keep the Wii U afloat? Or will the Wii U go down as one of the most unsuccessful Nintendo consoles ever?

I used to remain optimistic in terms of the Wii U's chances but I'm not so positive anymore. Although we all love Smash and will buy Wii U's just for the game we have to remember that we only make up a small minority... Most of the target audience buying this game are the casuals that will be looking for other quality titles to buy along with Smash 4, and right now the current library clearly isn't cutting it. I'm even more worried that the 3DS version will severely hinder the amount of sales that the Wii U version can achieve since the 3DS is currently looking like the cheaper and superior alternative since it actually has a quality library of 1st party titles unlike the Wii U as it currently stands.

The Wii U is not a failure just because it didn't "catch" on yet.

They failed advertising and supporting the product, but that's it. They console needs to be out for its entire lifetime before it can be dubbed a failure.

Furthermore, you addressing and comparing New Super Mario Bros is irrelevant: Mario Bros Wii has different factors helping its goal: It was the first recreation/revival for a home console, not to mention the fact the Wii was far more established. It had been out MUCH longer, people had the system already, not to mention the bundles they offered. But Mario Bros U was a launch title for an entirely new system that 80% of my customers at GameStop had never heard of.

I personally think the name is to Blame.

Nintendo has changed their name with ever new console in some form (for a save few)

64 > GameCube > Wii

So Nintendo basically taught its customer base new consoles have new names. With the Wii, they stuck to accessories like "Wii Motion Pro" "Wii This" "Wii That".

So then here comes the Wii U (and I ****ing LOVE my Wii U. Got it on launch day.)

By keeping the name the same as the predecessor console, not to mention the LOOK and color of the second most recent offered Wii model, they confused the public.

Given, smart people understand its a different console, and that its a great one, too. Everyone I know, customers or anyone, always have asked me if the Wii U is just an attachment controller.

I feel sorry for companies like this. You really have to dumb it down.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
They failed advertising and supporting the product, but that's it. They console needs to be out for its entire lifetime before it can be dubbed a failure.
I never said the console is doomed to be considered a failure for the remainder of its lifespan, I was stating why I think the console has been a failure thus far, which is why I (and Max as well) are asking people whether they think Smash 4 can "save" the WiiU.

Furthermore, you addressing and comparing New Super Mario Bros is irrelevant: Mario Bros Wii has different factors helping its goal: It was the first recreation/revival for a home console, not to mention the fact the Wii was far more established. It had been out MUCH longer, people had the system already, not to mention the bundles they offered. But Mario Bros U was a launch title for an entirely new system that 80% of my customers at GameStop had never heard of.
That was just one of many examples I could have used to illustrate how terrible the console is doing in terms of sales when compared to it's extremely successful predecessor. I just used that particular one thanks to the large disparity in the numbers (can't remember the difference without looking at the OP but I think the number was somewhere around 20 million units?).

Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I am reminded of an old tale, "The Boy Who Cried "Nintendo is DOOOOOOOMED"

bengamen

Smash Rookie
I feel like they may end up making a bundle with the Wii U and SSB4. I would buy a Wii U just for SSB4. Did it with my Wii and I still play Brawl.

R0Y

Smash Master
Don't forget that there are actually people who think that the 3DS version will be superior in some way.

"Hurr durr Link doesn't look messed up in the 3DS version, therefore it's better."

I'm paraphrasing but the more expensive version is more important to the big N, on more powerful hardware, and with more work hours put into it. They're going to make it superior regardless of what "retro" gamers think makes a game important.

Bottom line, not wanting or being able to afford the Wii U does not make the 3DS version better, it is what it is, a cash cow with different stages and trophies.

Nintendo doomed the Wii U version to not have as big an impact when they announced Smash was coming to both. Smash 64 and Melee sold extremely well on Nintendo's 2 worst-selling consoles (until barring an insane comeback, Wii U.) It seems a lot of people even bought a GameCube for Melee primarily, I know I did. Even though the better Smash will be on Wii U, it won't be exclusive. If anything can save Wii U it's an exclusive, but I suspect after the promised titles (minus maybe Zelda U, Yarn Yoshi, X, and SMT X FE) Nintendo will stop making Wii U titles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom