• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can VS CPU Teach You Anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Definitely get the Wii+game. And DON'T USE A ****ING WIIMOTE+et cetera configuration. IT WILL SCREW YOU FOREVER. Make sure to get a GCC as well.

yani_

Smash Ace
You can learn a lot of basic stuff from the CPU's. How to dodge certain attacks, what attacks clash, when to shield, when to roll, match ups, etc. It would obviously be better to vs. other people, but the CPU's are definitely worth experimenting with

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
RD already seems to get the basics. CPUs are for tech practice and trying out new characters only.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I have no idea why people hate on the Classic Controllers, I used to before I sat down and played my brother using it as a "handicap", soon enough I mastered it and I have played against people online better than I ever have. People just aren't willing to learn how to use it, it is deadly easy to do.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
^ It's easy to learn, but it is still inferior to the GCC in terms of comfort, button placing, AND the fact it doesn't need two AAs all the time. I'm going to give adjusting to the GCC another try, but it seems like I always float back to the Wiichuck.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, definitely, but it can me mastered all the same. Interesting that people use the Wiichuck, I guess that is the same but with an even greater learning curve, or maybe not, haven't tried that too much. Looks dangerous.

Zybertech

Smash Rookie
lol @ life-threatening nunchucks. Just got a flash of Chuck Norris. From experience, I wouldn't recommend the Wii remote/nunchuck. The GCC is MUCH better. btw, Ive been all over this site, I'm a little new. Can someone tell me where I post to find people to play against?

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Yeah, definitely, but it can me mastered all the same. Interesting that people use the Wiichuck, I guess that is the same but with an even greater learning curve, or maybe not, haven't tried that too much. Looks dangerous.
I actually found it very easy to learn.....and hard to change from. -_-

lol @ life-threatening nunchucks. Just got a flash of Chuck Norris. From experience, I wouldn't recommend the Wii remote/nunchuck. The GCC is MUCH better. btw, Ive been all over this site, I'm a little new. Can someone tell me where I post to find people to play against?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275524

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately I can't contribute to the controller discussion... Afterall I'm using keyboard >.<

The same discussion type is always had in other games, such as SF4 where people debate Stick vs Pad - At the end of the day, it's always best to just use what you're comfortable with - Hell there used to be highly competative players in the tourny scene who'd had modified sticks made to be keyboards.

As for me and my CPU practice, just had another funny match while trying out some different stages.

Never really actually had a set versus Mario or Luigi so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone (Well, new stage and Mario).

As usual, me being a newb I make a lot of mistakes but some of it is a bit weird.

For one I can't seem to find a consistant way to Bowser Bomb on the edge - Wether I tap Down+Smash, or hold Down+Smash, he occasionally just drops too far down and Bombs into the void (Can see in the movie).

Another is that the Warioware stage keeps throwing me occasionally in a random direction - Many times in games I'd be dashing towards someone and do the running headbutt, but he'd turn the other way for the headbutt, or when I jump into firebreath, he just turns around and spews fire in the other direction - Very weird... it's not something to do with the buffs from the mini-games, is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFSBgjwSRg

Anyhow, think I'm doing a bit better - But just a little bit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
CPUs can't really teach you much, but the one thing that they can show you, is that they can perform actions that even human players can't initiate correctly; those shield-grabs are a major example.

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Yep, I decided to stop playing 2xCPU L9's because I'd be endlessly grabbed and hit with specials that no person could react to.

Even against that Mario (In a different game) during the "Don't Move" thing, we landed next to eachother and stood still - Near the midway I thought, no, screw this and went for a Side-B (Body Slam) from neutral standing... And, of course, CPU being CPU, it dodged it instantly.

Was funny at least :glare:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Wow! I gotta admit im kinda surprised how consistently you were able to bowser bomb and grab the ledge. I only saw you fall once for being to low. Bowser's ledge grab hitbox is lowered somewhat when hes bowser bombing. But, you probably already know this. =p

and yea, fighting one dude at a time is totally better. Helps you focus on your opponent easier and learn to space your moves.

Do you have a vid of bowser switching directions on the warioware stage? I never seen or heard of that happening. It could be some wonky emulator exclusive glitch.

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Thank you, just another thing I'm trying to learn - One of many things I see the pro's do and just wish I could do as well, saves me relying so much on down-jump grabbing ^^

As for the change of direction, it's hard to explain. I dumped all my recordings once I picked one but maybe I'll be able to find the issue somewhere, or maybe play the stage again with a different Character / Opponent and take note when it happens. I record everything with FRAPS so if it happens again it'll be recorded.

And also I agree - I figured it'd be more 'learn worthy' to take on at least 2xCPU L9 but the fact is with them having godlike reaction to everything and ganging up on you it's just not worth the hassle.

Have a lot more fun and a higher chance of practice and learning with just one opponent.

Either way I'm very likely to play some more later so once I get a recording of the bug / glitch / random occurance I'll report back.

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Come to think of it, in above movie (Will relink here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFSBgjwSRg) at the 1:36 mark I think it showed it - It seems to be when you execute a move but also take a hit. I went to try and dash//headbutt Mario but he hit me, yet I still performed the attack and did so in the opposite direction.

Whatever it was it happened relatively often, but only ever on that stage for some reason. Normally if I get stuffed by a move, the move you were doing is stopped, but in this case it'd reverse my direction and perform it even though I took a hit. This is obviously a big deal for Bowser considering almost all his moves have disgustingly long recovery but I'd only worry about it versus people so I suppose it's not too bad.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Ooooh THAT?!

Ropey dood~! Thats not a glitch. =p Mario's side-b "the cape" does damage and flips the opponent around. Its a very powerful edgegaurding move for them. A few other moves do that too like pits down-b.

Against computers its not much to worry about, but look out for it when playing real mario players. They love that move for recovery and edgegaurding. it can be devistating if you try and recover and get flipped in the opposite direction. ._.

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Ah, that explains it then - Happens again in the same movie at 2:15 - Never knew about it so I thought it was a weird bug or whatnot, thanks for clearing it up ^^

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Honestly, though, I feel like being a Bowser main has a fairly steep learning curve so unless you had some sort of attachment to Bowser before you started playing I would at least recommend testing the waters with DDD or even Donkey Kong, both heavyweights that are vastly superior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKWOmicTXVg

Me failing with DDD - I find him far more awkward to play than Bowser and don't enjoy him half as much.

DDD requires a lot of backward moves it seems and that takes practice all in itself, plus with Keyboard I find it weird that sometimes going for X move gives Y. For example, I find DDD tries the Forward Hammer smash sometimes when I press Forward Attack, when all I want him to do is that spinning hammer thing.

I'm sure it's just lack of practice/experience but Bowser seems a lot easier to grasp. Considering the whole reason I got so into watching SSBB was Bowsers BowserSlam, I don't think I'd drop him for any other heavyweight, he's just too much fun.

But I suppose it's ok for me considering I'm only able to play CPU anyway :urg:

ninjaalex

Smash Apprentice
give yourself a 200-300% handicap.. u need to practice spacing, that's one thing CPU's are good for.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
The only good thing CPUs can teach you is how long you can hold your frustration for their perfect shield grabbing, power shielding, ground dodging, and CPU Zelda's perfect Lightning kicks. I don't bother because of those reasons and that you cannot mind game them like you can with real players.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
^LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Like all of us haven't gotten near-invincible **** punished by a perfect shielding CPUs. You obviously missed what SZ7 said.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
lolprepubescence

]Facepalm* Yes, I have. I believe there are two boxes to think out of. The one that you should think out of, which requires Creativity, and the one that is what humans call Sanity...
So, we should just take a broken *** game and be "creative"? That's what caused this ****ty, spammy, campy metagame. Hackers are the only ones who should be getting creative with Brawl.

REAL Gamers (Kids about 6-12) do not suck nowadays. YOU have made the standards too high.
LOL the majority of gamers are in the 15-30 year age bracket. Where the hell did you THINK the Butthurt Dweller memes came from? The standards are as high as competitive play makes them, not the item filled FFAs elementary-middle schoolers play. You can't ****ing tell me ANY kid could beat a game like Battletoads or Contra. Probably not even Zelda OoT's Water Temple.

Videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88bc7Jl-g8 make me lose faith not only in the Smash community but in humanity. When people can't realize how much they truly suck at something, it shows us our declining world very lucidly. The comments are mostly as stupid as the video itself.

Moreover, you're being a hypocrite since most "hardcore" gamers are kids that think playing an extra hour after bedtime makes them "true gamers". A true hardcore gamer is someone who's dedicated their life on a game/gaming in general, not some noob accurses Internet play with their prescence before getting bored and ****ing up another title afterward. See Idiot Gamer Girl memes.

Elitist fanboys took it too far. Now Nintendo can't make what they're imaginations decide without being universally hated for being "easy" when back in the day it would be considered hard.
That's because Brawl was very obviously competitively and casually superior to Melee. Not starting a debate.

I'm guessing SOPA/PIPA would be a good thing, because then we could return to what gaming was MEANT to be.
SOPA is an anti-piracy act. It's totally irrelevant to competitive gaming. You're just being ******** now.

THIS IS MY OPINION. NOT YOURS. I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU'RE REPLY SAYING "ur wrng" OR ANY OF THAT. IF YOU SO MUCH AS REPLY WITH THE SLIGHTEST SIGN OF ELITISM, I'LL KNOW.
Yeah, I'm REALLY going to be sad to have lost your friendship.

If you have any intelligent thought about CPUs and the programming they were given, go right ahead and respond. If you're just going to exemplify your own immaturity and ***** about more non-felicitous crap, just do everyone a favor and say nothing.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
To sum it up:

Brawl+, PM, bBrawl, and Brawl- are no excuse for the disgrace Sakurai created.

Most of that generation was alive when the Internet just was for text documents.

Have you actually played either of those games? Maybe they could beat it - by college graduation. And it's not like I'm the one making the guides.

That tourney was legit, at least for Wifi, but that was just when the metagame was extremely primitive.
You're also throwing **** at fighting game pros without any evidence. Most gamers, even the ones that practice excessively, are not social rejects or Butthurt Dweller wannabes. Ask anyone on these boards.

That's the thing. YT trolls DO have nothing better to do.

And a few other points,

See? This right here proves my instincts right: That coming to this garbage website has served no practical purpose...
I wouldn't suppose it's fun when your arguments are practically dog****.

And walk through the streets of NYC sometime. If people don't swear, then Jesus has already returned.

Here is the focal point of my argument. I quote,

Casual gamer (noob, scrub)

"Casual Gamer's are the bane of the current gaming industry. Most Casual Gamers are fans of only Sports and racing games as anything with a fantasy or sci-fi setting is "nerdy" to them. To them gaming isn't a hobby but just something you do for fun so games should never be complicated because that would require thinking on their part and would not be fun for them.

Causual Gamers attitude towards games causes them to only buy simplistic sports and action titles. This harms the development and evolution of the industry as a whole because hartless publishers like EA, Ubi-soft and Sega will use their influence to crush new and innovative ideas and push foreward titles which will sell faster to the unwashed masses."

Hardcore gamer-

"Someone who plays video games as a primary hobby. They tend to spend large amounts of time playing games, often in excess of two or three hours a day.

Hardcore gamers tend to care less about graphics then casual gamers. While some specialize in a single genre, they typically have fairly diverse taste in games, frequently playing a wide variety of games from different genres. They'll often seek out obscure and older games, based on word of mouth or positive critical reception. Hardcore gamers put good gameplay above all else, and don't mind if a good game has poor (or even nonexistent) graphics, sound, characters and plot."

And a very good example,

"One who claims to play a game casually, without a strong desire to compete against others, but actually calls themselves casual as an excuse for often repeated failure to complete novice level tasks within games."

There are many great titles - particularly pioneer shooters like Perfect Dark and MGS1 - that dumb kids could give a **** about. Even slightly more recent greats like RE4 and MGS:TTS. I doubt you'll ever play something like Zelda 2, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, or Castelvania NES titles because they're hard and painful. That is why they were created. True gamers want a challenge. Not a dumb,broken game that benefits the loser ( Smash and Mario Kart. )

P.S. - for the assault on language, you can suck my mother****ing ***** *** ********** ****. :troll:

Alses

Smash Apprentice
Well skipping loads of fighting and other posts in these pages I'll just say my opinion on brawl and its CPUs:

Brawl is far too slow and boring without hacking, it used to be fun back when I was so happy about there being a new smash bros. that I didn't care much for its slow pace. I use B+ and its faster action (especially with Bowser and DK) made it funner and more balanced.. (although perfect balance is impossible) But getting more on topic with what you can learn with CPUs:
You can learn bad dodge habits but you can also learn good grab strategies which can be a real game changer. Another thing you can learn is patterns, CPU patterns are easy but if you play a lot with them you'll notice that every human brawl player also has patterns, so you could take advantage of these weaknesses. One of my weaknesses with Samus is my up and down gameplay, if you notice how to counter it I have to completely change the playstyle to something more defensive.
Brawl is a game of strategy, Hacked brawl is a game of strategy, skill and timing. CPUs are the masters of timing even though they are predictable, so if you see what they do in different situations you might just learn how to get out of an annoying attack... Looking at you Pit and Metaknight >_>

This is just what I think, and I've been playing brawl without other players for almost 2 years now (due to people disliking brawl and playing with me .____.) and I've been using modifications on it since 2009 to improve it (no more tripping FTW!) So its completely uncompetitive, its just saying: You CAN learn from CPUs, but its not something you wouldn't learn eventually playing with other people anyway.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
@OP - Something I like to use CPUs for is to integrate an Advanced Tech into my game play. It's a little different to do something in training mmode with a character standing still and a tad trickier when you make a spur of the moment decision to use a tech. I will play Classic Mode on normal and say, "Okay, i'm going to use Sheik's DACUS for all of my kills" or "I'm going to Dolphin Slash everyone that touches my shield OoS until it's reflex". And I work on the tech and associated habits. I find it useful.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Dear FoxBlaze71,

I haven't been here in a long time. Why? Because I found something better to do.

Also, I don't care about you anymore, because Elitist Melee fanboys can't treat me like garbage when they're dead. :glare:

So in other words, goodbye. Don't bother attacking me with reports for making an "I'm Leaving" topic, because you'll just be doing me a favor. :awesome:

And just so you can't say it,

Good Riddance! :troll:
Paraphrase:

12 year old kid is irate that he can't debate any sh*t in an intelligent manner so he just says, " I'm going to give a subtle reference to killing you even though you could kick my *** because you're probably twice my size. I'm just going to try to vindicate myself by being a troll and dumb*ss in general and making no since. "

"Not to mention I'm still not talking about anything pertinent to the thread. "

You see, children don't think like adults or even teenagers. They have a mind that merely tries to rationalize their behavior in a way that seems positive to them.

F*ggots like you are the reason no one in the FGC can take Smash seriously.

If you're just going to quit it shows you are totally uniformed and unable to debate anything. You've just shown that by how you just keep jumping from irrelelvant topic to irrelevant topic, trying to gain higher ground to no avail. If you're just going to be more and more immature and more and more stupid and trollish with every post, just go to hell.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
BOTH OF YOU STFU!

i am not gonna bother reading through either of those ****storm WoT flamebait posts.

all i got from each was one non-competitive butthurt player who doesn't like that some of us like to play a game competitively, and from the other an elitist short tempered competitive who got butthurt from the fact that brawl's gameplay was watered down from a competitive standpoint and made as anti competitive as possible.

both of you just stop and get back on topic of whether or not you can learn anything from cpus.

on topic...

other then the timing for things like ice climbers chaingrab, or footstool setups, i personally can't see cpus teaching players much.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
"One who claims to play a game casually, without a strong desire to compete against others, but actually calls themselves casual as an excuse for often repeated failure to complete novice level tasks within games. " This is called a noob, as you earlier inquired. Noobs just like to think of themselves as casual to make up for their consistent failures.

You also said sci-fi games are nerdy. MGS, is, in some ways, a sci-fi game in the way it really stretches its timeline into the future and past and it's unrealistic combat ( see Gray Fox ) Watch this.

Sci-fi games aren't just about ****-talking prepubescent Halo players. They emanate REAL emotion. If the Ninja didn't die a boss's death, I don't know who did.

FGC means fighting game community. This means SF/Tekken/etc players that think, and think correctly, that smash isn't a true fighting game ( except for Melee, which I've found many true fighter players enjoy ).

Since you never steer the topic back to CPUs, I will. They can often predict almost unpunishable things because they're inhuman. They're programmed to respond to your inputs as soon as they are done. The CPUs also have limitations in the way that they're stuck doing the same ******** patterns forever. They use attacks whether or not they're easily predictable, because they can't adapt. They just stick to the coding and never variate in their playstyle. They are just as boring as they are uneffective. They can be used to space, learn ATs, practice combos on, and help learn a little in an MU you're not used to. But they're not competitive practice partners.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
"One who claims to play a game casually, without a strong desire to compete against others, but actually calls themselves casual as an excuse for often repeated failure to complete novice level tasks within games. " This is called a noob, as you earlier inquired. Noobs just like to think of themselves as casual to make up for their consistent failures. So how does one get better?

You also said sci-fi games are nerdy. I meant in the eyes of Casual Gamers... That was my fault for not being more clear on that

FGC means fighting game community. This means SF/Tekken/etc players that think, and think correctly, that smash isn't a true fighting game (except for Melee, which I've found many true fighter players enjoy I'm not sure you heard correctly).

Since you never steer the topic back to CPUs, I will. They can often predict almost nonpunishable things because they're inhuman. They're programmed to respond to your inputs as soon as they are done. The CPUs also have limitations in the way that they're stuck doing the same dang patterns forever. They use attacks whether or not they're easily predictable, because they can't adapt. They just stick to the coding and never variate in their play-style. They are just as boring as they are ineffective. They can be used to space, learn ATs, practice combos on, and help learn a little in an MU you're not used to. But they're not competitive practice partners. :) *No Comment*
Comments are the garbage statements that are in bold...

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
One gets better with years of playing and careful, analyzed thoughts. Is using an unsilenced pistol a good idea in a building filled with soldiers? Is not checking every place possible for items going to hurt me later on? Is not distributing power-ups wisely going to cause problems when my party battles? It's thoughts like these that help one figure out a game. Thinking like a noob gets you screwed like a noob.

The problem is that you AREN'T arguing. If you want to talk **** about someone's opinion, you ought to be able to back up your statements. Not just be an evasive troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom