• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can VS CPU Teach You Anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
If you're insinuating you can't beat a Level 9....Then there's little hope for you in fighters.

Gaming skill comes with lots of practice. You learn to act strategically, think quickly, and use all of the advantages you have to win. This is why serious gaming is a turnoff to noobs because, as you said before, serious gaming is for "junkies". Putting lots of effort into gaming is the only way to become skilled.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
How to stop thinking like a noob?!
Seriously man? ,:3

Just have a conviction to win. Play against stronger foes and analyze what you could have done better or why you were getting hit. Make sure your stuff is safe, or tricky. Ect ect~

Really it just comes down to having motivation to get better and taking action. If you find yourself frequently looking up tecniques for your character, or hopping into training mode you'll get better over time.

Oh also fight stronger players then you. Seriously. Nothing helps you learn quicker then getting the floor mopped with ya. If there willing to, ask on what you can improve on or what your weak spot was.

Lets see what else...
Be willing to take advice from those who are more knowledgable then you. Ther- theres really no nice way to phrase this but like.. Alot of what you know will be wrong when you first start. Be willing to change your playstyle.

Also find a character and stick with em. Alot of what I said is vague because its character depended. Go top tier bro. No joke.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Well playing for the hell of it certainly won't get ya anywhere. :V M2K (The former best player of brawl) lost his conviction and slowly got worse and worse at this game.

Motivation will lead to practice and practice makes perfect.

I should probably clarify against fighting tougher oppoents. Fight humans dude. Cpus are only good for practicing combo's or getting use to tricky inputs during the heat of battle. I say ect ect because really, your playstyle will be dependent on your character. For example, I play pika, who has a serious bob n weave kinda playstyle that makes use of his great mobilty. So tell me, who do ya feel most comfortable with? =w=

And don't be afraid of losing. You learn more when you lose then you win. Just think of what you did that could have been better. Analyze if your being predictable or not, or perhaps you wern't punishing something properly.

Yes. Top is cheap and cheap gets you wins. If your playing for money forget what you know about honor or whatever your gaming morals are and play to win no matter what. As long as its legal of course. :V You don't have to pick top tier, pick whoever you play the best as. Generally speaking though, top tier tends to get the most results done. I play snake, falco, pika, and lucario. All very strong solid characters.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Well, you're character analysis was total bull****. Even looking at your signature makes me laugh. You pick a high tier character ( NOT god tier ) and stay with it if you want to get better. Brawl is just an inferior Melee, with slower gameplay are a few more competitively viable characters.

If I were you I would drop Brawl and start learning Melee and going to tourneys because Melee is a great teacher of fast reactions and technical skill. Or, if you still wanted to sort of cling to Brawl, try Project M.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
You have to want to win to get better. No drive = no improvement. As for Melee, it's only boring until you learn Melee's gameplay well. I don't think there's a more orgasmic feeling in the world than nailing a flashy Falcon Knee combo or Fox Uthrow CG to JCS to waveland edgehog when near the edge of a stage.

Anyway, fanboys don't win in Bawrl. If you want to play competitively, you play the tiers and you play cheap.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
*facepalm facepalm facepalm*

*sigh* i thought the flamewar would of been over by now....

BSP

Smash Legend
Dang, a triple post in here.

Sol9000, lay off the edit button lol. Just say what you want.

To try to get this thing back on topic, I still think that the most you can learn from CPs is the basic stuff about your character. Learn your character's range, speed, lag, and how to space to keep yourself safe.

Do not fool yourself into thinking you are learning anything about MUs when you play CPUs. They do not play like humans. Only use the CPU to learn more about yourself and your character's capabilities.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@Sol9000: If you're going to keep editing your posts like that, then you probably shouldn't be posting at all.

As for the topic, you can only learn so much from fighting a CPU, but the thing that generally happens is the player will end up gaining bad habits, like excessive rolling, etc.. Also, CPUs don't know how to mindgame, and cannot be mindgamed either, and seeing as they don't know advanced techniques, like Falco's short-hopped double laser, or Snake's DACUS, you really can't get the experience that would otherwise prepare you for what you actually will face in a tournament. So while vs. CPU is good for - say - target practice, it's impractical to use that as a means to getting competitively better.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
If you're trying to get competitive it definitely isn't good to work with CPU opponents no matter what difficulty grade you put them on. Like the previous posters said you can't mind game them nor can they mind game you. They're programmed to have perfect reaction based on your inputs to power shield, dodge, and shield grab you perfectly. Also a character like Zelda for say that can always perfectly sweet spot you with her forward aerial attack (Fair lightning kicks.) every time.

The consistent being ganged up on in free for all and even team battles despite another CPU being a KO percentages. Their behaviors will just cause frustrations and as was mention cause bad habits which can develop more if you constantly play them to try and out smart them and then become extremely predictable against an experienced human players.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
^Everything that above poster is true; however-

I use training against computers to land spikes and chain grabs. Practicing these sort of things, like spacings of tipper and sweet spots IS a universal thing and computers, while predictable, have pretty standard recovery trajectories for you to practice.

I also use it to practice new controller layouts.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't value CPU's for anything much. The only thing I've been using them for is learning how to muscle memory my spikes. I main Mr. G & W, so landing a d-air spike is very tricky and I simply don't get enough practice in real matches to learn how to effectively land it every time.

Night Shade

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Necropost. I don't care. I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a few days, so don't mind me.

This is also my first post. Feel free to troll it if that's all the fun you can have, you dried out corpse.

My Next Couple of Posts are Garbage
Yes, they are. How do I know? Simple, I did a little bit of research on this conversation (only took a few minutes of my free time, so shut up) and came to a few conclusions.

This post, in a nutshell is "I'm a noob who's friends don't play competitively, if at all, so all I have is buggy, watered down computers to teach me how to stare at a screen and press buttons."

At least that's how he should've phrased it.

^LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Like all of us haven't gotten near-invincible **** punished by a perfect shielding CPUs. You obviously missed what SZ7 said.
He probably relates to SZ7, because both players have a bad temper with the CPUs.

But more importantly, this is too harsh. Get on a kid's good side before you criticize them like they were an alcoholic.

Garbage post.
Pfft. "Creativity and Insanity aren't the same thing" a subtle jab at competitive gaming. Where's the problem? TOO SUBTLE.

Next part? Even worse, since the guy wants to return to a time he wasn't even alive (yet) in. You know your a moron who aged badly when you rant about your life before getting a job.

The rest I deal with Sol in later replies

lolprepubescence
lolelitist

So, we should just take a broken *** game and be "creative"? That's what caused this ****ty, spammy, campy metagame. Hackers are the only ones who should be getting creative with Brawl.
Oh, so your on the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" guys. I see. But wait, without creativity, all games would be pretty much the same. And when everything's the same, regardless of quality, people stop buying games because it's pointless. Maybe that's why Kirby and Sonic have such a huge (and stupid, in the case of the Hedgehog) fanbase.

LOL the majority of gamers are in the 15-30 year age bracket. Where the hell did you THINK the Butthurt Dweller memes came from? The standards are as high as competitive play makes them, not the item filled FFAs elementary-middle schoolers play. You can't ****ing tell me ANY kid could beat a game like Battletoads or Contra. Probably not even Zelda OoT's Water Temple.
Sol's fault again, but this time wording couldn't save him from this guy. If he blamed the escalation of the maturity required rather then the actual age of the people who played video games, this reply simply wouldn't exist.

Fox, just to clarify: weren't you an immature brat who sucked at something they loved to do at one point? Maybe not that last part, since your closed-minded toward anything you didn't start getting good at doing at age 7.

Videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88bc7Jl-g8 make me lose faith not only in the Smash community but in humanity. When people can't realize how much they truly suck at something, it shows us our declining world very lucidly. The comments are mostly as stupid as the video itself.
I can understand you bashing the video and it's comments, but the bolded part confuses me. Who in they're right mind

Moreover, you're being a hypocrite since most "hardcore" gamers are kids that think playing an extra hour after bedtime makes them "true gamers". A true hardcore gamer is someone who's dedicated their life on a game/gaming in general, not some noob accurses Internet play with their prescence before getting bored and ****ing up another title afterward. See Idiot Gamer Girl memes.
Dedicated their life? This kid seems pretty addicted to gaming considering how much he posts here. Maybe he just has too much free-time because he bulldozes over school-work because he goes to an online school. And while that's probably socially unacceptable because he's not being bullied constantly, I think he's getting that here.

That's because Brawl was very obviously competitively and casually superior to Melee. Not starting a debate.
Remember this quote. the irony gets hilarious later on.

SOPA is an anti-piracy act. It's totally irrelevant to competitive gaming. You're just being ******** now.
Two things. One: He was mentioning it as a threat, and a pretty stupid one at that. Two: Your direct insult toward Sol is nothing compared to the insult toward people with special needs. Pathetic.

Yeah, I'm REALLY going to be sad to have lost your friendship.
You never liked him to begin with

If you have any intelligent thought about CPUs and the programming they were given, go right ahead and respond. If you're just going to exemplify your own immaturity and ***** about more non-felicitous crap, just do everyone a favor and say nothing.
This sounds like bullying. Not that Sol doesn't deserve to be called out for his garbage, but could you (Foxblaze) maybe calm down a little?

this.[/URL]
I don't have to watch it to know your a Metal Gear Fanboy.

Sci-fi games aren't just about ****-talking prepubescent Halo players. They emanate REAL emotion. If the Ninja didn't die a boss's death, I don't know who did.
It hurts your credibility to bash games the person your calling out despises as well.

FGC means fighting game community. This means SF/Tekken/etc players that think, and think correctly, that smash isn't a true fighting game (except for Melee, which I've found many true fighter players enjoy).
If it's not a "true fighting game" like you say, then how come there's a forum dedicated to it being a fighting game?

Since you never steer the topic back to CPUs, I will.
Thank You.
They can often predict almost unpunishable things because they're inhuman.
Duh.
They're programmed to respond to your inputs as soon as they are done.
Duh.
The CPUs also have limitations in the way that they're stuck doing the same ******** patterns forever. They use attacks whether or not they're easily predictable, because they can't adapt. They just stick to the coding and never variate in their playstyle.
1. Consider the target audience (ie Morons like Sol)
2. Melee has this problem as well.
They are just as boring as they are uneffective. They can be used to space, learn ATs, practice combos on, and help learn a little in an MU you're not used to. But they're not competitive practice partners.
Duh.

One gets better with years of playing and careful, analyzed thoughts.
The games Sol plays (with the exception of one), all require "RITE NUOW" thinking. Careful, analyzed thoughts can't save you in Platformers.

Is using an unsilenced pistol a good idea in a building filled with soldiers?
See above.

Is not checking every place possible for items going to hurt me later on?
See above.

Is not distributing power-ups wisely going to cause problems when my party battles?
Wha? Oh, and the first two are dead obvious and don't require careful thought. Just thought.

It's thoughts like these that help one figure out a game. Thinking like a noob gets you screwed like a noob.
Think like a pro, lose respect from your parents.

If you're insinuating you can't beat a Level 9....Then there's little hope for you in fighters.
He can beat them now, but no thanks to you.

Gaming skill comes with lots of practice. You learn to act strategically, think quickly, and use all of the advantages you have to win. This is why serious gaming is a turnoff to noobs because, as you said before, serious gaming is for "junkies". Putting lots of effort into gaming is the only way to become skilled.
He's put effort into the game, only to fail regardless. It's not his fault for not thinking. It's his fault for not being born in a horrible time (ie before 1991).

Well, you're character analysis was total bull****. Even looking at your signature makes me laugh. You pick a high tier character ( NOT god tier ) and stay with it if you want to get better. Brawl is just an inferior Melee, with slower gameplay are a few more competitively viable characters.
they kicked MK from God Tier. Looks like you have some explaining to do.

If I were you I would drop Brawl and start learning Melee and going to tourneys because Melee is a great teacher of fast reactions and technical skill. Or, if you still wanted to sort of cling to Brawl, try Project M.
And he's said numerous times that his GCC is garbage.

You have to want to win to get better. No drive = no improvement. As for Melee, it's only boring until you learn Melee's gameplay well. I don't think there's a more orgasmic feeling in the world than nailing a flashy Falcon Knee combo or Fox Uthrow CG to JCS to waveland edgehog when near the edge of a stage.
of Super Smash Brothers :troll:

Anyway, fanboys don't win in Bawrl. If you want to play competitively, you play the tiers and you play cheap.[/QUOTE]

If he plays that way (and gets used to it), he'll be out of options if they change the rules to balance the game.

Dang, a triple post in here.

Sol9000, lay off the edit button lol. Just say what you want.
That's the problem: he's not saying what he wants. That's why he's editing out his posts.

And in conclusion:

Sol9000: You need to learn to stand up for yourself, and more importantly, do it logically.
FoxBlaze71: Just... Calm down. Jeez.

Now that I'm done beating a dead horse with another dead horse, it's back to lurking for me.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
That wasn't even close to being necessary. Don't bump old threads again, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom