• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Stage Discussion Stage 25- Green Hill Zone

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I love the water. A lot. Work on your water spike game. Once you get your opponent in the water, it should almost always be a kill.

As with Halberd, the landing sequences can allow you to do crazy stuff with your offstage game. Learn to recognize them.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
i love spiking in the water too, its great. i always like hanging on the edge, going under them, then using
up-b too.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Here's what happens for me when I try to spike in the water:

DAir: If I try to DAir them in the water, they just jump out and they're above my DAir, which they can see coming. If I try to DAir above them in the water (to hit them when they jump) they just wait for me to land in the water (which is unavoidable due to DAir's lag) and then jump out (and sometimes spike me).

Raptor Boost: Pretty much exactly the same thing; they jump if I'm low enough to hit them in the water, and they just stay in the water a bit longer if I am at their jump height.

So how do you spike them when in the water? (I have this problem on TL's stage too)
It only seems to work if they've just landed in the water and can't jump yet, at least for me.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
yeah,you can only spike them when they first hit the water ,so it doesnt work most of the time. It still is great though

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Water is the only time that Falcon really can take advantage of his Dair. Therefore, Delfino Plaza is his second best stage right behind Pirate Ship.

If you guys want Falcon to succeed at tourneys, I suggest we collectively push to make Pirate Ship a counterpick. It is hands down his best stage the way I see it.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I don't like the first phase because it is so small, the second stage because of the statues and the walkoff, and the third stage is alright, although the transition stage annoys me because I can't tell where I'm going to be when the next stage materializes, which is especially a problem if you are put offstage in the first and third stages and arn't expecting it.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
bumped
sorry cant really help you with this one
i hate third phase though, sometimes i fall right through the stage when it finishes its transaction

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Man, no love for Castle Siege? I'll leave the "When Playing Here" section blank, since not enough was said about it, IMO.

Anyway, today's stage is Brinstar

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
brinstar is a VERY GOOD level for capn against spacies ive found. take a wolf here and it forces them to move more, which puts a lot of wolf players in a position that they are not familiar with. the platforms give capn plenty of positioning for sh aerials, utilts, and usmashes. As ive said before, this is an AWESOME counterpick stage for capn, simply because people ARE NOT used to being at brinstar, and when you have your opponent in an unfamiliar setting, you have already got a mental head start against them. Play this level like a combination of Rainbow cruise and battlefield, capitalizing on moments of confusion (lava, stage splitting, etc.), use platforms to your advantage, all while playing a smart and survival type match.

Noob Question: In a tourney setting, when both people sit down for the first match of their series, who picks character first or what are the rules? I was recently at a tourney where for our first match, my opponent selected peach. in my mind i said "ok. cap falcon it is." My friend asked me a question and i turned my head to respond, and when i looked back we were already in map selection. When the game started, HE WAS OLIMAR. I lost this match (barely but i still lost). I ended up losing in our third match and theres no johns, he beat me, but i am still kind of salty about how our first match was played out before we began.

edit: My summer resolution is to be more active on these boards.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I agree 100% with Testament27, this level owns against the spacies, And is too good against Snake, cooking grenades don't really help much against Falcon on the stage, however Falcon is really effected by Mines, but I think his Grenades are worse to deal with, so I usually counter pick to Brinstar.

And no he can't select his character then switch at the last second for a better match up until you both have reached your final decision

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
you have a better chance of getting those plant things to throw(speed) and in this stage i think you can go under and use upB too. common sense -i suggest you never jump on the animal, you would never know if it will open its mouth and flip you over.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you can use the bottom of the slug thing's mouth as a ledge to grab, and you can go through the bottom of the stage, which is alright for waiting for your opponent on the bottom of the water ramp (when it's not raining) since they basically have to come at you from above (Falcon Dive or UAir makes it a pretty defensible position, and since it's a low point and below the main platform, most projectiles won't get you unless they are coming from the left side). The flower things don't seem too useful to me except if you can do a gliding one and get them to block, an up-B should land well (if they spot dodge or roll you should be able to punish, and don't throw it at them if they are in the air since it's easily caught with airdodge/aerials; just retreat and wait for them to come back down).
And the leaves annoy me how they sink when you stand on them. That's all I can think of.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I love how when it rains, anyone standing on the hill is forced onto the center of the stage. I take this to my atvantage and let the rain force them into my ATTACKs instead. It has even allowed me to land a suprize falcon punch becuase my opponent really had little choice.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Frigate Orpheon is the stage of the day.

Another thing: Do you guys think you need the description of the stage? Because it can take awhile to write those descriptions and you guys know what the stages are like already. I'll keep making them if you want me to, but I just want to know if they're just a waste of time.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I read the stage descriptions once in a while. You may as well finish. And as for Frigate Orpheon... I find the first tier of the stage to be great for edgeguarding on the right side. There is no edge to grap. Yummy.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
For the descriptions, I didn't know you had them because I havn't been checking the first post, and they would be more helpful to jog my memory if you put the description in the post in which you declare a new stage for discussion (I don't remember all the stages by name). That being said, I think a picture of the level would be more helpful (multiple pictures if there are multiple phases), with a brief description of anything special about the level (like destructable parts or traps) underneath.

I don't like the stage because of the ungrabbable moving platform, although it's not a bad choice if your opponent has tether recovery, as it messes them up more. As for the stage-flipping, it will help if you remember what the other side of the stage looks like so that you know where you will land.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
I like Wogrim's suggestion. I'll do that.

Day 12: Luigi's Mansion

Breakable parts: Pillars--->house falls if destroyed.
Under the stage: Yes
Walkoffs: No
Pits: Yes

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I actually like luigi's mansion becuase it provides alot of cover from projectile spam. And then when it eventually flatens out, it is like Final Destination.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The platform nature of the stage is pretty useful, and the pillars block a lot of ranged attacks, but if you have an advantage on this level a lot of opponents will evade you and go around breaking pillars, so you will have to be somewhat aggressive if they want to destroy the house. Don't try to Falcon Kick or Raptor Boost through the pillars. The very bottom level isn't too good to fight on, since you can't approach in the air with the non-fallthrough parts. If the house gets destroyed, you can try to play defensively until it rebuilds.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I found out today that this is a good one for DK... no lip for stagespike. Other than that I don't like the stage, as certain variations make it harder to approach (as if we had enough trouble with that) or interrupt a chase.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Thread is dead.

Day 14- Rainbow Cruise

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qPc6yLynnCU <-- Should go through the whole stage. Not sure because youtube isn't working for me.

Edit: I almost forgot. I'm going to be out of counterpick stages relatively soon. Should I do the stages that might be counterpicks but probably banned (in other words, it's up to the host)?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Rainbow Cruise is scary since it puts you really close to the sides sometimes. However, it is a good choice against characters with bad recoveries that you can punish easily when they do it onto a platform and especially good against ZSS and Ivysaur, who can tether onto almost nothing on the stage. It's also nice against really slow characters, who will spend a lot of the time trying to keep up with the stage.

I don't have any tips for playing on it though, except that you probably want your opponent to climb the left side first so that you can UAir/Falcon Dive them.

Edit: For your question, yes, and then go through all the stages again or the ones that need more input since if you just say you'll take suggestions on any of them no one's going to post anything.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing nobody's posting because nobody likes these stages. :ohwell: They are counterpick, though, so discuss we must.

Day 15- Onett

Hazards: Cars
Edges: Walkoffs
Destructable: Awnings

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The most important thing to do is learn the timing of the cars. They give you longer warning than you'd expect.
To play safe you want to be in the middle on the bottom, and try to walltech if you get hit to the left.
Avoid getting grabbed, as you don't want to get caught in a wall infinite.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
...Avoid getting grabbed, as you don't want to get caught in a wall infinite.
yeah,there arent really tips for this place just avoid the cars.maybe you can swicth it around and wall infinite them .(wall infinites are great,to bad you cant use them in tourneys)

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
if there are bombs on the side of the wall then you can throw them into it,it will blow up.you have an advantage,since captain falcon is fast,than you can grab the apple and destoy them with it.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
its easy to pull the knee if they are standing on the platform or u-tilt them.watch yourself when you are falcon diving into the the legde,its easy to land right under it and leave yourself to die.

Top Bottom