• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Celestial Archives: The Samus Video & Critique Thread (Updated October 4th, 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not ready/prepared for another community video yet, we will definatly release a sequal in the future, but as of right now, I'm working on my second combo video before I begin editing for anybody else.

Okay updated the Archives with IsmaR's and Xyro's submissions.

Apologies for the wait, just got back from my smashfest ^^.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
The Samus video thread? :o
KJ, can you record some replays and post them here if i send?

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I liked those matches Xyro. Especially on smashville you spaced fair really nicely.
Brinstar was perfect

If there is one thing I can think of immediately is watch a little more for opportunities to UpB OOS. But you still did it a lot and was really unpredictable. Also great turnip game lol

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I can't beat a lot of Peach players, and Xyro made it look easy? Gaaaaaaaawd.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I liked those matches Xyro. Especially on smashville you spaced fair really nicely.
Brinstar was perfect

If there is one thing I can think of immediately is watch a little more for opportunities to UpB OOS. But you still did it a lot and was really unpredictable. Also great turnip game lol
I was afraid to UP+B cause if i miss then he gets to punish me. Hes capable of doing 42% combos so i had to be a bit more cautious.

Xyro77

KillerJawz (Samus) vs. Siri (Peach) (7/13/10)

Other than the peach player not knowing the MU, those matches were pretty good. The only thing i can say to u is that if you ever hit peach in the air with zair, you can do it a 2nd time before she hits the ground and it works 98% of the time. Its just a free 8% or more(depends on if u space either zair) and that ALWAYS helps. Oh also, when peach shield gets low try and aim zair at her head instead of shooting more missles. These are just small free % gainss im mentioning and not really harsh critiques. Over all you did good.

PS: the ledge stalling on match 2 makes me happy. As you can see, peach CANNOT punish you unless YOU mess it up. This is why i believe the ledge is where samus needs to be. THANK YOU!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Sweet stuff KJ, loved the ending of the first match, and the second match ledge stalling was too good :laugh:

Xyro77

its also odd how i get up peach vids then YOU get up peach vids.....................

Xyro77

This friday, im playing the ike that is considered the worlds best(the one consistently taking games from ally and beating impossible MUs like olimar...ect). I lost to him at whobo(it was saved then deleted) and now im gonna rematch him. Those should be up saturday.

Xyro77

For how much this time? :laugh:

I'm actually excited for vids of this because I feel like Ike is a deceptive matchup.
I feel it can be hard solely because once he gets anywhere near us its jab jab jab or grab... same with snake actually

It's stupid
Nah it wont be for money but the "stress" is kinda all on him cause he is defending his streak/title vs me(which is just 1-0). He accepted the rematch and lets just say for some reason he loses...we would be 1-1 so in reality he doesnt lose ANYTHING and i dont GAIN anything. Its still a wash.

Though i lost to San at whobo i still feel samus wins the MU and here is why:

1. I have fought MANY MANY medium to HIGH level ikes that have different styles/mindsets and vary in skill. Doom/Mr Doom/Bored/Burrito/Inui/M2k have all lost to me but San. He is also the BEST ike. I fell i lost to his MIND(how he read me/predicted...ect) and not his character.

2. Ike does not(in any way) shut down samus. A situation of "shutting down" a character is DDD vs dk/Samus vs ganon(in other words, there is no hope). Ike has certain things he does may reduce your options but never put u in a lose-lose situation(2 examples are above). I feel that if ANYTHING, samus is the one that can literally shutdown a certain aspect of ike(recovery) and combine that with the fact(opinion) that Samus should be played on/near the ledge it increases the chances of ike coming after you and thus being put off the ledge where u can captialize on shutting down his recovery(which we should be decent/good at by now).

EDIT: again, ill play him friday and get some vids up.

Muz

Smash Apprentice

PS: the ledge stalling on match 2 makes me happy. As you can see, peach CANNOT punish you unless YOU mess it up. This is why i believe the ledge is where samus needs to be. THANK YOU!
Sorry but this may seem douchy, but he grabbed the ledge ~80 times the second match. 80 times in a tourney match would get you a loss usually. I would recommend not doing tether regrabs so soon after grabbing the ledge the first time, and switching them up with release->up B, to buy more time. But still, don't you think its a bit excessive in a friendly match? Sure it may get you "the win" but I think most opponents would not want to ever friendly you again lol.
EDIT -especially with no timer! That match was practically 8 minutes, and siri would have won if he stayed away from the ledge.

Xyro77

Sorry but this may seem douchy, but he grabbed the ledge ~80 times the second match. 80 times in a tourney match would get you a loss usually. I would recommend not doing tether regrabs so soon after grabbing the ledge the first time, and switching them up with release->up B, to buy more time. But still, don't you think its a bit excessive in a friendly match? Sure it may get you "the win" but I think most opponents would not want to ever friendly you again lol.
EDIT -especially with no timer! That match was practically 8 minutes, and siri would have won if he stayed away from the ledge.
It is possible to run the time without being on the ledge. getting into that mind set(running the time) and staying near or on the ledge is what im complimenting him on. it will make your samus better in the long run.

Muz, we don't have a LGL here in the UK because we're scrubs, and the timer wasn't on for some matches, as you can see later on, the timer is put on because we didn't expect the matches to last that long.

wifiwarriorslolol<3

Muz

Smash Apprentice
lol my bad, I only watched the first, second, 8th and last videos and didnt realize the timer was on most of the games.
By the way, I agree that taking your time when fighting peach is generally the best strategy as she can combo you so quick and outprioritize you otherwise. The reason taking your time helps because your opponent tends to get impatient and rush foolishly, which you can capitalize on. And if they try to camp back, then they'll lose because samus' camping game is greater.
For me personally, I try not to do it too much in friendlies, because otherwise people know you as "the spammy,campy samus", and who really wants that title even if you win alot? Watching your other vids now KJ shows me that you don't overdo it so keep it up, and follow Xyro's advice.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I watched some more of your vids, KJ, in some recent ones, you use Dsmash a lot in close combat, and you get punished for it. :/
Might want to work a way around that, but whenever i use Dsmash, i normally charge it to bait a dodge, since it's has some hefty cool-down.

Xyro77

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
1st: GG, he hopped the ledge a lot and i saw you trying to take advantage with Utilt, so nice work done there.
As for when you were trying to KO, i saw Dodge > Fsmash a lot, but try to bait out one of his attacks so the Fsmash gets a chance to land. The OoS Screw Attacks were too good.

2: Sweet stalling, and the FF Uairs were awesome, but keep in mind that Peach will try to kill you with Fair.
The Utilt ending was funny XD

3. Needs some OoS Screw Attacks like the first game; That shield was being eaten. DI needs a bit of work, you should be living longer(Not by a lot, but it makes a difference). I've taken notes from the past videos, and it seems the Ill Jumps the ledge when you're up close and gets up normally when you're away. Don't know what that means, but knowing your opponent's habits = Punishment. GG too.

4. Your first KO on him was just ****, nice spike. Keep the OoS Screw Attack handy whenever you get Dair'd by a Peach, it's prob. the best option.(Unless you want a broken shield) 2nd KO, still ****. Last KO, Mindgamez.

5. lol at the music. Try to camp a bit more when they get you to the ledge, Zair, retreating Fair, and Uaiar work marvels. 2nd kill, more Mindgames. Good Game, notice his only chosen options from the ledge were Standard Get-Up, and Jumping.

6. First CS was just pure ****. You died to the same thing twice, gay. You were doind much better with the OoS Screw Attacks. Needs moar FF Uair. The suspense in the end was just KILLER. GGs, nice triumph.

I watched some more of your vids, KJ, in some recent ones, you use Dsmash a lot in close combat, and you get punished for it. :/
Might want to work a way around that, but whenever i use Dsmash, i normally charge it to bait a dodge, since it's has some hefty cool-down.
Dsmash is her quickest smash and her most damaging one outside of usmash (LOL) so I tend to start off strings with it. I really should use it more cautiously however, thanks.

Xyro77

1st: GG, he hopped the ledge a lot and i saw you trying to take advantage with Utilt, so nice work done there.
As for when you were trying to KO, i saw Dodge > Fsmash a lot, but try to bait out one of his attacks so the Fsmash gets a chance to land. The OoS Screw Attacks were too good.

2: Sweet stalling, and the FF Uairs were awesome, but keep in mind that Peach will try to kill you with Fair.
The Utilt ending was funny XD

3. Needs some OoS Screw Attacks like the first game; That shield was being eaten. DI needs a bit of work, you should be living longer(Not by a lot, but it makes a difference). I've taken notes from the past videos, and it seems the Ill Jumps the ledge when you're up close and gets up normally when you're away. Don't know what that means, but knowing your opponent's habits = Punishment. GG too.

4. Your first KO on him was just ****, nice spike. Keep the OoS Screw Attack handy whenever you get Dair'd by a Peach, it's prob. the best option.(Unless you want a broken shield) 2nd KO, still ****. Last KO, Mindgamez.

5. lol at the music. Try to camp a bit more when they get you to the ledge, Zair, retreating Fair, and Uaiar work marvels. 2nd kill, more Mindgames. Good Game, notice his only chosen options from the ledge were Standard Get-Up, and Jumping.

6. First CS was just pure ****. You died to the same thing twice, gay. You were doind much better with the OoS Screw Attacks. Needs moar FF Uair. The suspense in the end was just KILLER. GGs, nice triumph.

UP+B oos isnt always the best options because if peach retreats dair and i miss with the screw attack then she can land OBSCENE combos or powerful attacks due to me missing. Its one of those things where sometimes im not sure if i wanna go for an up+b or just shield it and gtfo of there.

Either way im sure i could have used up+b more than i did so thanks for the advice.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I guess i might as well get started uploading more Samus matches.
Help is always a good thing anyway so it certainly wouldn't hurt me.

Omega (Samus) vs Denver (Snake) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8yxTS6ejQ

A couple of notes though:
1.I apologize for the stage hack, i did not realize that it would be that much of an eye-sore once uploaded. I have scraped that hack and it won't be seen from here-on

2.Realize that this is almost 3-months old. I have corrected a lot of the the things i did wrong in this vid and have improved since then.

3.I play this particular Snake a LOT so he knows my playstyle pretty much inside and out, plus his general skill is good >_>

Any/all advice is deeply appreciated. I will get more matches up at a later time.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
I guess i might as well get started uploading more Samus matches.
Help is always a good thing anyway so it certainly wouldn't hurt me.

Omega (Samus) vs Denver (Snake) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8yxTS6ejQ

A couple of notes though:
1.I apologize for the stage hack, i did not realize that it would be that much of an eye-sore once uploaded. I have scraped that hack and it won't be seen from here-on

2.Realize that this is almost 3-months old. I have corrected a lot of the the things i did wrong in this vid and have improved since then.

3.I play this particular Snake a LOT so he knows my playstyle pretty much inside and out, plus his general skill is good >_>

Any/all advice is deeply appreciated. I will get more matches up at a later time.
If you can get any more recent videos of your Samus that would be better for critique, since now I might only be pointing things out you have already improved or not. But anyways.

I didn't see allot of stuff that was wrong, but the main problem is that you were on auto-pilot. You didn't seem to watch your opponents enough to punish him for stuff he does, or when he got close up you could've punished him at some point.

Try to missile cancel a bit more, it works great vs tall characters and super missile cancel > super missile is a great shield pressure from far away. You did nice with missile cancel mindgame > grab. Throw the Snake upward after that, follow his exact movements and predict his wavebounce grenade. This helped me take a game off Ally's Snake.

Also, when you're in a bad position try to reset the whole situation by going to the ledge and starting all over again. Get inside your opponents head because that is important if you want to win with basicly any character. Except Meat Knight

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
If you can get any more recent videos of your Samus that would be better for critique, since now I might only be pointing things out you have already improved or not. But anyways.

I didn't see allot of stuff that was wrong, but the main problem is that you were on auto-pilot. You didn't seem to watch your opponents enough to punish him for stuff he does, or when he got close up you could've punished him at some point.

Try to missile cancel a bit more, it works great vs tall characters and super missile cancel > super missile is a great shield pressure from far away. You did nice with missile cancel mindgame > grab. Throw the Snake upward after that, follow his exact movements and predict his wavebounce grenade. This helped me take a game off Ally's Snake.

Also, when you're in a bad position try to reset the whole situation by going to the ledge and starting all over again. Get inside your opponents head because that is important if you want to win with basicly any character. Except Meat Knight
I will be sure to get more videos. Likely by tomarrow actually.
But you are very observant, as i remember it, i was on auto-pilot for most of the match, and i also notcied some things i should have done like punishing this or that instead of doing this or that.

There is actually a reason that i didn't MC as much in this match than i do normally, the reason being that this particular player knows exactly how to punish my landing lag, so i saw MCing at that point as a high risk medium reward scenario.

Back then i didn't use Samus's ledge abilities very often, i do it more now to reset the scenario, but i don't think i do it enough, so thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom