• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chaingrabbing EVERYBODY

Blind

Honorbound
I talked about this awhile ago in the Nanagrab thread, but nobody really seemed to care. However, since it's so cool that now everybody can be combo'd 0 to death ^_^ and everybody's looking for a way to chaingrab Jigglypuff (what, just me?) I thought I'd post on the subject again.

This chaingrab is a bit stage specific, but I'm almost completely certain it will work even against a DI'ing opponent.

First off, you need your opponent near the edge. Like, pretty close. Second, you need to be facing OFF the stage (as in, away from the center. Or, if you were on the right side of FD, the IC's must be facing to the right). Simply, down-throw with Popo, then time another grab such that Nana grabs them the moment they leave the ground. If you are close enough to the edge, then Nana will always forward-throw. You can simply grab the opponent right afterwards with Popo. Hit them with a blizzard or something, d-throw, have Nana catch them, and do this all again.

The timing varies tremendously across some of the characters; the heavier ones make you need to wait for their weight, and some of the lighter characters throw so fast that they're like... umm... well, it's really fast :p You'll have to practice, but it can be done, and the results are quite nice.

Here's one of the problems; you throw some light characters SO fast that half the time Nana will jab instead of grab, and since those characters also bounces up really quickly so you can't afford to do it too late.

The solution to this problem is almost stupid in its simplicity. Simply press down VERY LIGHTLY. Nana will not crouch as you throw, and you can grab right away. Done right, this will even work against Pichu.

Yay for the IC's ^_^ If you feel like chaingrabbing instead of doing the infinite, this should make you a happy ******.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
I've actually pulled 2 repetitions of the Nanagrab chain off in a match against my friend's Samus, but I haven't practiced it enough to where I can do it whenever I grab someone near the edge. It definitely provoked a "WTF?!?" from him though. :)

The big problem that I have with it, though, is that Nana sometimes throws in one or multiple grab attacks before fthrowing, which keeps me from getting a sense of timing and forces me to react the yell she makes before throwing instead.

Also, on an aside, I was under the impression that Peach had high enough traction where she could be dthrow -> dair chained, and I've done it before to Peaches I've faced. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, if I remember correctly from the Nanagrabs thread, isn't this really hard to pull of on Marth because he twists around your grab range when thrown?

Blind

Honorbound
Yes, Marth is quite a tricky one to land this chain grab on. Also, I know that Peach can DI out of the d-throw d-air. It wouldn't surprise me if she could n-air out of it since her hit stun recovery is so fast. I'm certain d-throw d-air is not guaranteed though. Maybe I'm wrong? :p That would be nice.

Yeah, Nana tends to add grab attacks when you don't expect her to. Just remember to watch for it though, and you shouldn't be caught off guard. Your reflexes improve significantly if you are paying close attention.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I'm confused; why would being on enge of a level change icies inability to chain-throw these lighter characters if they are DI'ing properly? I haven't seen this work, and I'm not convinced it would - but I don't fully grasp it. Could we have a demo video?

Edit: UberIce says this is BS. Refute?

Blind

Honorbound
This is because those characters are simply too floaty to be chaingrabbed at all. However, Nana can catch them, guaranteed, when they bounce off the ground.

The reason you need to be at the edge of the stage is because normally, Nana's throws are in random directions. When you're at the edge of the stage, however, Nana is guaranteed to throw them off. What is more, as long as you have even the tiniest bit of room in front of Nana to walk, you can catch them from the forward throw.

I'll make a video if I ever have the equipment necessary.

FunkDocOH

Smash Cadet
Yeah I remember hearing about this thing from you, great Post! It's a shame there's no good Samus/Marth/Peach/Jiggs players I play. +rep 4 j00!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Hey Rob, I have a CG I want to show you at CSS, and have you try out against better players. I tried explaining it before, but no one really understood it, so I figure if I show you, and it works, you could let people know.

Blind

Honorbound
Bleh, I've been working on this and it's... incredibly hard to do against Marth. For me, anyhow... maybe I just don't have the timing down yet. If he DI's towards you, then he's very likely to escape. So far I've been able to get it until he's at about 80 percent. D-throw jab also sort of works against him, but if he DI's away and jumps he can get out of it. I recommend against Marth you just d-throw f-air, tech chase. If you dash dance, you can probably catch him with a dash attack, followed by up-air and back air for a pretty nice combo. Or something... if I can actually master this though, I'll give you all a heads up.

deivit

Smash Apprentice
I can´t grab with nana :dizzy: any advice?
It's just that I prefer having nana doing her spike when I'm close to the edge... I need that video urgently.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Be patient. And that jab reset only works 'till certain percentages. Substantially lower ones on Jiggz, I might add...

Blind

Honorbound
1) Opponents can very easily meteor cancel the spike, and then you're not in a position to do much to them.

2) I'd like to add that this chaingrab works magnificently on Shiek, as well. Which is handy when you're at the edge of the stage and you still need 40 or 50 percent to go :)

Blind

Honorbound
Denying until I have means of making them...

Edit: Check the 1st post for more information on chaingrabbing Puff

Also, I have managed to secure for myself a videocamera! ^_^ Of course, it'll be a while before I can actually post any videos, as I lack the equipment for transferring said files to my computer. But there's actually a possibility that I can give you guys some video demonstration.

Blind

Honorbound
::bump:: New information in the first post about CG'ing Jigglypuff.

Blind

Honorbound
Hey, a triple post! Don't warn me, this is important and everybody's ignoring the thread and I promise the edit is relevant.

I decided to get off my butt and test it out, and I learned that you can chaingrab the entire cast with this. I recommend this be stickied, as this rather vicious chaingrab should be a staple of any IC player's game.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow. So I finally got around to trying this, and it seems like there's some awesome potential here. I can't quite get Popo to grab again after Nana grabs, but that will come with practice and familiarity. I'm doing 50% combos here already...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
well, looks like i need to try this out, this could lead to a new level of owning in my IC main.

this is really sweet info and i cant wait to work on it soon.

marth will soon become the IC's biotch

/\/1/\/J4

Smash Journeyman
lol you hope so. Still your guna need more skills then chaining them from 0 to death cus some marths wont let you even get close to em.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
It's really pretty to look at.
I liked watching you do it after the Bluefork bi-weekly and I'm practicing it.

Still can't get it 100% on Marth or Pichu.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just make a video of this without editing. Tomorrow if I'm not doing anything and can figure out how to work a **** video camera...

EDIT2: The more I practice it, the smaller things I note. For grabbing tiny stuff with the fear of crouching, you can press L while popo grabs, dthrow (Nana moves her light shield down), and press A at the right time without having to worry about pressing the control stick too hard or too soft.
What I don't get is why Nana headbutts sometimes and then not on others. It makes timing the CG really annoying.
Lastly, any time you're in the middle of the stage and she does her fthrow/dthrow, you can grab out of that. A handy trick once you get the timing. For Nana's uthrow/bthrow, it's pretty hard to punish. Still, 50% isn't bad.

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
Hey, a triple post! Don't warn me, this is important and everybody's ignoring the thread and I promise the edit is relevant.

I decided to get off my butt and test it out, and I learned that you can chaingrab the entire cast with this. I recommend this be stickied, as this rather vicious chaingrab should be a staple of any IC player's game.
I'm looking into how to get this stickied, among other threads.

Like all of the chainthrows, I'll learn it, but if this is an unescapable one, I'm not sure if I'll feel good about pulling it off on somebody, especially in a tournament.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
It is escapable.

If Nana starts headbutting randomly and the opponent mashes buttons, they can break out and grab the edge. So don't worry about your personal integrity. Besides, dthrow dair is inescapable to many characters if the ICs don't screw up. I promise the timing on this is way harder than dthrow dair. @_@

Pneuma

Smash Ace
//BUMP\\

Blind's Chaingrab:
GOOGLE VIDEO PROOF

Alright, I spent the 5 minutes practicing, recording, chopping, and uploading so here it is.
Sorry about the poor quality and my voice in the background. =P

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I have to try this...although Pneuma, is there any way you'd give me permision to upload your vid onto YouTube? Right now, YouTube is just better than Google Videos.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Wow, I have to try this...although Pneuma, is there any way you'd give me permision to upload your vid onto YouTube? Right now, YouTube is just better than Google Videos.
Knock yourself out, or I'll probably just do it myself tomorrow.

Blind

Honorbound
Actually, yeah, I didn't think about that... if Nana decides to do more than one headbutt, the opponent can PROBABLY break out. But you could always just break the chaingrab when you hear them mashing and f-smash. No DI + f-smash = win?

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's way more flashy than it is practical. After about 40%, you'd wanna fsmash anyway. But good find...

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's way more flashy than it is practical. After about 40%, you'd wanna fsmash anyway. But good find...
Actually I find it VERY practical.

You can get them to the edge very easily by either smashing them and standing where they would tech away from the edge, Nanapulting them, or pushing them closer with a few dthrow/dair hits. It's very useful for what it means: an extra 20%+ damage near the edge leading to a Fsmash. It's the difference between an edgeguard scenario and simply them dying.

Blind

Honorbound
Yeah... so I get my buddy Taj in a grab near the edge at 20 percent, and I'm at 80 percent, last stock for both of us. Me versus his Shiek; he wiggles too fast for me to ever get a decent infinite on him, so I just Nanagrab him to 90 and f-smash him FTW. Or the times I've done it to his M2, or Peach players when a smash would have been useless.

Golly, I didn't just make your post sound pointless did I? Mah bad.

Blind

Honorbound
Actually, depending on the character weight, you can judge the timing by the green flash that occurs when you slam them into the ground. If they're really heavy, wait until the moment you see the flash. If they're mid-weight, time it so that you grab w/ Nana right BEFORE the green flash. Lighter weights you should time it even earlier, about when you do the wind up motion.

It's something like that. I haven't really practiced in a while, lacking the cube + tv + time. I'll get back to you folks on it :D

Pneuma

Smash Ace
The timing is very character dependent.
And it's just: grab, downthrow, nana grab with Z, (wait for Nana to throw) dash jc-grab, downthrow...

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
Could someone post info for grabbing each one? Like...try it in 1/4 and post something that can help with the timing somehow? I'm having trouble doing it consistently.

Top Bottom