• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

Revven

FrankerZ
Well lets see:

Tippers pull in like marth to set up for the strong part of the blade. In melee, the tips had the same (I believe) angle as the hilt except it was much weaker.
Wait wat? No, Marth's tips never pull in... they are only stronger when you tip someone, stronger than the main part of the blade. Marth's tipper has always pushed people like any normal move does. Roy's tippers for this are completely new.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wait wat? No, Marth's tips never pull in... they are only stronger when you tip someone, stronger than the main part of the blade. Marth's tipper has always pushed people like any normal move does. Roy's tippers for this are completely new.
Will you please tell me the difference between marth's fair tipper and non tipper in melee?

In any case, Marth's tippers are generally good and the hilt is general bad. Roy's hilt is generally good but tips are generally bad. Roy+ is a character where both hilt and tips are good. Definitely cool, but not Roy. That is all I'm saying.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Will you please tell me the difference between marth's fair tipper and non tipper in melee?

In any case, Marth's tippers are generally good and the hilt is general bad. Roy's hilt is generally good but tips are generally bad. Roy+ is a character where both hilt and tips are good. Definitely cool, but not Roy. That is all I'm saying.
marths fair tip sent them up

non tip sent them away

wheres the pulling

kupo15

Smash Hero
marths fair tip sent them up

non tip sent them away

wheres the pulling
Some tips were more pull in then away like dash attack for example. I prefer to refer some of his tips acting like they pull in instead of pull up. My bad on not being clear.

EDIT:

Wow, he is really different. Bair is a meteor, Uair is a meteor and Dair is a really easy meteor? (Dair being in melee of course)

Dancing blades is not a meteor like before and Usmash I don't think is one either

Dtilt is super weak and so is nair. Dtilt even at 0 would set up for a full hop Nair.

Up b isn't as controllable (probably unknown how to do it)

Counter angle is much lower making it better

This is all in addition to the other tip changes

I would probably never play Marth over "Roy"

Wave3

Smash Cadet
the difference between marths fair tipper is, on is good while the other is too good

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I am pretty new at Brawl+ (I am very interested in this kind of thing) From what I read in other thread,

That they found a code to make Geno as one of alternate clothing of Toon Link, so did anyone update Roy to be like that?

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for posting up the edited .pac Oni, props for that. Also, Roy's gravity is fine. I can easily switch between Melee Roy and Brawl+ Roy now...it's awesome lol. And what's this I hear about a completed clone engine? Gonna check that **** out :D

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Thanks for posting up the edited .pac Oni, props for that. Also, Roy's gravity is fine. I can easily switch between Melee Roy and Brawl+ Roy now...it's awesome lol. And what's this I hear about a completed clone engine? Gonna check that **** out :D
lul, np maan :D and ohhhh yeah the clone engine... yea about that... still not possible for a roy v.s. marth :( it does look pretty cool though, but too confusing for me lol.

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
EDIT:

Wow, he is really different. Bair is a meteor, Uair is a meteor and Dair is a really easy meteor? (Dair being in melee of course)

Dancing blades is not a meteor like before and Usmash I don't think is one either

Dtilt is super weak and so is nair. Dtilt even at 0 would set up for a full hop Nair.

Up b isn't as controllable (probably unknown how to do it)

Counter angle is much lower making it better

This is all in addition to the other tip changes

I would probably never play Marth over "Roy"
dancing blades and usmash are indeed meteors
uair is barely a meteor - you'll never kill someone off the stage with that, and dair shouldn't be easy to hit with...

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
whoever said he isn't like roy is a n00b.

EDIT: @kupo: JUST PLAY HIM FIRST THEN CRITICIZE HIM!!!!!
Funny how you use the term "n00b". Makes you look more like an idiot than anything else. I'll stick to debating with others I guess.

uair is barely a meteor - you'll never kill someone off the stage with that, and dair shouldn't be easy to hit with...
Yes, but that's meteors after meteors... Which makes it basically ridiculous.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I tested those for meteor properties (last hit of the normal side b) and it didn't yield a meteor and I saw no downward motion during the usmash either. And despite the fact that his dtilt and nair are disgustingly weak, Roy+ acts nothing like Roy, IMO he is a mix of Roy and Marth where both tip and non tip are very useful.

But I hope I am wrong with my assessment of those two moves because then "Roy" has 4 meteors and useful tips which really isn't Roy at all...

Xis66

Smash Cadet
**** Wtf

Who'd think a couple trolls could cause 2 plus pages of unstoppable chaos? (please prove me wrong!)

Ok, Ganon Doesn't play much like his Melee counterpart, would we call HIM "not Gannon at all"? Anyway he's FKN Roy enough for most people on this thread and its a fun project why even argure with this dude? I mean why even try to please everyone? We have tools to edit chars this is like sayin if you make Spider man in a wrestling game is he goin to be EXACTLY like him NO! who the *** cares! This is why he's still being worked on and its just a "How close can we get this" kinda thing. I love Roy I'm satisfied for now when another pac comes dam sure I'll get it Roy is my Fav Nintendo char this pacs all I got. I love MOST of Imatation edited with fire and slower Super Marth's perks from his Melee counterpart especialy the tipper I think there should be a couple more subtle differences but I like it I use him VERY similar to my Roy play style in Melee.

Back onto the productive point This clone Engine was mentioned like 3 time s and was swamped with nonsense anyone know anything? And is the most recent pac up have taunts and vic poses in it? Oh and i second that THAT pac is the one to be tweaked from now on to avoid installing taunts to every new pac.

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
I tested those for meteor properties (last hit of the normal side b) and it didn't yield a meteor and I saw no downward motion during the usmash either. And despite the fact that his dtilt and nair are disgustingly weak, Roy+ acts nothing like Roy, IMO he is a mix of Roy and Marth where both tip and non tip are very useful.

But I hope I am wrong with my assessment of those two moves because then "Roy" has 4 meteors and useful tips which really isn't Roy at all...
it's not the last hit of the side b that is a meteor :dizzy:...it's the third hit upward, like melee
downward motion is programmed into the upsmash, unless camelot has made a change that i don't know about

kupo15

Smash Hero
it's not the last hit of the side b that is a meteor :dizzy:...it's the third hit upward, like melee
downward motion is programmed into the upsmash, unless camelot has made a change that i don't know about
I'm pretty sure its the hack slice of that last hit for Roy that is the meteor. The 3rd hit down is Marth's which I don't think he has as a matter of fact lol

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Coupla things I noticed:

Is Roy's dair supposed to have terrible landing recovery? Also, Oni, you didn't put in the uber down taunt...what the fark? o.O

Ryo242

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure its the hack slice of that last hit for Roy that is the meteor. The 3rd hit down is Marth's which I don't think he has as a matter of fact lol
3rd Down hit of Marth's was a meteor.
3rd Up hit of Roy's was a meteor.

It's easy to see where you got confused, but it is indeed the 3rd Up hit of DED that causes a meteor smash. How far until the next .pac ?

camelot

Smash Ace
Roy+ acts nothing like Roy, IMO he is a mix of Roy and Marth where both tip and non tip are very useful.

I actually made a Roy way back that was more like Melee... weak tips instead of ones that pull in, 2 meteors (3rd up hit of DED, and d-air if the opponent was above Roy), among other things. I was focused on remaking him just how he was in Melee.

This version of mine wasn't related to this current "Roy" at all, but I stopped working on it because people liked the "new" Roy more (with tippers pulling inward, etc.).

I'm not sure what to do with the current Roy. :dizzy:

How far until the next .pac ?
I don't really know.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
I actually made a Roy way back that was more like Melee... weak tips instead of ones that pull in, 2 meteors (3rd up hit of DED, and d-air if the opponent was above Roy), among other things. I was focused on remaking him just how he was in Melee.

This version of mine wasn't related to this current "Roy" at all, but I stopped working on it because people liked the "new" Roy more (with tippers pulling inward, etc.).

I'm not sure what to do with the current Roy. :dizzy:
People like the new Roy because he doesn't suck, and feels unique enough from Marth. *Shrug*

I don't see the point in recreating a bad character to be bad again.

kupo15

Smash Hero
3rd Down hit of Marth's was a meteor.
3rd Up hit of Roy's was a meteor.

It's easy to see where you got confused, but it is indeed the 3rd Up hit of DED that causes a meteor smash. How far until the next .pac ?
So it is. Will you look at that! So I guess the current "Roy" in fact has 2 more meteors than Melee. Learn something new everyday ^_^

I don't see the point in recreating a bad character to be bad again.
I think roy was a good character except the other characters were just too good. Small tweaks to his game to buff would be fine and still call him Roy like what they did with ganon but I feel that Roy was given too much of a overhaul to still be considered Roy. Brawl ganon still plays like ganon even though he is somewhat different. But giving Roy good tips so that his entire blade is useful plus two additional meteors just seems too different to be called Roy IMO.

The same way why I feel Doc isn't doc because his playstyle was considerably changed that he acts like a third version of Mario. 3 meteors I think is a weird for Doc mains I would imagine.

But its w/e

Ryo242

Smash Ace
Moogle. ^-^ -has a omfgcute moment- Roy was indeed a good character, just everyone else had some major gamebreaking **** they could pull to gimp etc.
-Edgehogging with the delayed roll lag
-Reflectors/capes
-Swords with godly tips and faster, which is unbalanced
-Spammy projectiles and turnips

Not to mention some of his moves felt completely useless. Mainly D-air. Easily meteor cancelled and they recover, but Roy can't!? I see no fairness in that.

Xis66

Smash Cadet
Direct Melee chars wouldn't be good or balanced enough in brawl but this "Roy" Is close to what could be imagined if he actually WAS in Brawl Just like what I said about Ganon.

Oh and in Melee Roys down air, 3rd or so hit in his up smash and 3rd up DED were all of my known Meteors either strong or weak

Wave3

Smash Cadet
we aren't changing the tips okay.
i actually dont care, but if we want to avoid the whole "little roy is broken debate" thats bound to happen if we want him tourney official than we need to come up wit at least balancing ideas, cuz he has the sword spawned from ikes sword and mks right now

Rudra

Smash Ace
But unlike those two, he's combo'd much harder and killed easier. If anything, I thought that was his balancing factor. He's pretty good onstage, but getting hit = massive damage/edgeguard opportunity, and he's virtually helpless offstage. I'd say he's similar to Diddy, but lacks the stage control and has a much worse recovery.
:005:

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Read the qualitative description of him in GoG's original post. Roy's the perfect kind of glass canon; he combos and kills like crazy, but he's light (comparatively), easy to edgeguard (by any standards), and his fall speed+weight combo makes him ridiculously easy to combo.

I don't think he's broken at all, but if you do, I'd be willing to hear your reasoning and debate it with you. However, at this point, the tips I don't think are up for debate.

Wave3

Smash Cadet
i'd say anything to keep my character too. again it doesnt bother me none how he is, in fact i love it but its just like how the game developers got ways to balance characters out. a whole heep of broken characters have these" balance factors" that are more theory than law, because a lot of times you cant use that characters weakness against them. i jus want roy to be accepted as soon as brawl plus goes gold so this needs to be started in a forum asap.

NxtGenFalco93

Smash Apprentice
imo roy is pretty much screwed if he gets hit 1 time. and if that is the case, then every stock will be a rediculous combo and i think that is a good thing. it really takes away the camping factor and will keep the tempo up really well (which is in part wat b+ is trying to do.) and i think "glass cannon" is an understatement; i would say he is more like a tank made of tissues.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
i'd say anything to keep my character too. again it doesnt bother me none how he is, in fact i love it but its just like how the game developers got ways to balance characters out. a whole heep of broken characters have these" balance factors" that are more theory than law, because a lot of times you cant use that characters weakness against them. i jus want roy to be accepted as soon as brawl plus goes gold so this needs to be started in a forum asap.
You sound like you've only heard of Roy, and haven't played as him. He gets combo'd like a mofo, and it's definitely a weakness that can be exploited.

And Roy won't be accepted for a while anyway. Not until he can be made as polished as the original Brawl characters; and by that, I don't mean just balanced. Model hacks, CSPs, a working clone engine, etc. would be necessary.

Rudra

Smash Ace
And Roy won't be accepted for a while anyway. Not until he can be made as polished as the original Brawl characters; and by that, I don't mean just balanced. Model hacks, CSPs, a working clone engine, etc. would be necessary.
Pretty much this. Balance as well as the more "cosmetic" changes are necessary for any character attempting to become official. Its also the TO's decision as to whether or not they want to have the character to be playable at a Tournament.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Wow I feel dumb. Sorry guys, I guess I uploaded the wrong file or something. this has the victory poses AND the dtaunt http://www.mediafire.com/file/v2wnguzyznt/FitMarthRoyRevampV11.pac if that doesnt work Ill eat my printer. btw I tried giving Roy a new Wait1 animation but it didnt do anything, its like I didnt change it X_X I tried giving him the wait from the victory pose... maybe its because the victory pose fixes have Wait1 as the... well, wait? If I set it to Wait2, it might work... idk. anyway use that one^^

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Roy is frikkin' awesome seriously. I also noticed that he gets combo'd like a madass. I played a Wolf Player x.o But i combo'd him a few times aswell. I think it's hard to land a Spike with Roy, i'm still a bit used to Marth =/.

Wave3

Smash Cadet
i played with him, its just that we have to offer more than jus "he gets combo'd easy off stage" TO's would jus laugh

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I wish I could've seen that version of Roy with the sheathed sword. :<

Ah well, it's a great psa regardless.

Top Bottom