• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! - Young Link Returns. [Codeset + Voice Change Included!]

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
^^Not yet, give Zephy a little time :3

I gotta visit this thread more often. I wish I could have zero and yl, I gotta use my other sd card to load him.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Well, he said something about working on recolors first (I think) so it might be a little while... say, if I can hook up my laptop to my wii directly, does that count as a capture card?

Zephron

Smash Ace
Well, he said something about working on recolors first (I think) so it might be a little while... say, if I can hook up my laptop to my wii directly, does that count as a capture card?

I'll do it right now lol.

I also finished the re-colors.

I was trying to fix the audio and waiting for you guys to respond.
The file was in the right place, I thought but I have Link's boomerang so you're right. Put it in the same place you said? K.

EDIT: THE MOTION FILE WON'T WORK! It says the file isn't found! LOAD IT UP AGAIN!

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean it doesn't work. The link is dead? I'll fix that. If it's something else, I don't know. It works fine for me.

Wait a bit for the link.

Edit: New link to the Motion file. http://www.mediafire.com/?owqwdmm5igm

Thanks a lot for the video. really looking forward to it.

Zephron

Smash Ace
I edited the video and finished but my computer shuts off at 11:00pm due to parental controls <_< I'm almost 17. Parents today...

The video is being uploaded to youtube. It'll be like 15 minutes. I'll post the link as soon as I can!

Sorry for taking so long.

EDIT: Youtube didn't accept my .mov file (Wat..?)
I think it was one of my settings. I'm going to fix it.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
That's a shame, I really wanted to see the video. How long do you think it will take for you to fix this?

Tylerelyt

Smash Apprentice
That looks...awesome. I can't wait to get the rest of the recolors. Awesome job.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I really liked the video. Good job showing the model and most (if not all) moves. I really enjoyed it.

Any chance you might upload that texture?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Great job with the vid Zeph. So, what's left is:

*Increase the fire arrow damage.
*tatl texture.
*Third taunt.
*Look for a possible way to make the spawned bunny hood not have any effect.
*Fix the model size change after the fast jabs.

Also, you forgot some moves zeph XD. Like utilt, also usmash looks too slow and needs less knockback. Otherwise, it looks great :).

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Great job with the vid Zeph. So, what's left is:

*Increase the fire arrow damage.
*tatl texture.
*Third taunt.
*Look for a possible way to make the spawned bunny hood not have any effect.
*Fix the model size change after the fast jabs.

I'd like to add sound effects, and possibly new entry/winning animations.

Also, you forgot some moves zeph XD. Like utilt, also usmash looks too slow and needs less knockback. Otherwise, it looks great :).
I don't know about the Usmash. Gonna look at that.

Also, do you guys think he is different enough from the Links or does he need something else. Maybe different attacks, animations, anything?

As for balancing, is he too good? I feel he maybe is but need some input first.

ds22

Smash Lord
If you place Link's Model with the YLink texture on Olimar (the fifth alloy) and port his PSA and his articles over, would that not make it possible to load Link as well as YLink in the same match?
I tried it with my PSA hack and can confirm that it could work (but it takes A LOT of work) and because the pikmin's, his spaceship and his head bobble (weird huh) are articles, it could be possible.
Disregard this if you don't like the idea as for it's a bit farfetch'd and odd.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I don't know about the Usmash. Gonna look at that.

Also, do you guys think he is different enough from the Links or does he need something else. Maybe different attacks, animations, anything?

As for balancing, is he too good? I feel he maybe is but need some input first.
His usmash was super fast in melee and comboe'd like heck. It was one of his highlights in melee imo.

Yes, he is fine.

He isnt anywhere near too good. Pawleeease.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
If you place Link's Model with the YLink texture on Olimar (the fifth alloy) and port his PSA and his articles over, would that not make it possible to load Link as well as YLink in the same match?
I tried it with my PSA hack and can confirm that it could work (but it takes A LOT of work) and because the pikmin's, his spaceship and his head bobble (weird huh) are articles, it could be possible.
Disregard this if you don't like the idea as for it's a bit farfetch'd and odd.
someone do this ASAP! YL VS Zero? Hell yeah.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Well the alloy idea is good, especially if you can confirm it would work. But as you said, it will be a lot of work. If someone has the time and wants to do it, awesome, but I think we're better off just keeping it that way so that no one will have to do a tremendous amount of work only to play against Zero.

Zephron

Smash Ace
I don't know. Seems really iffy.

Also I'm confused the the Olimar stuff.
Not the character but the alloy?

How did you replace the model btw? Just replace Olimar's brres file with Link's?

Also yeah I only forgot 2 moves TLM.

Dash attack, which was noted at the beginning of the video, and utilt.
Which I could've sworn was in there just not in the tilt section... oh well.

Glad you guys liked it.

ds22

Smash Lord
Olimar works like a alloy when it comes to model replacing (replacing the mdl0 file in Olimar's texture), a lot of characters work.
In that way Olimar is even better than using a alloy.

Zephron

Smash Ace
I have a few suggestions for young link:

• Bair: It has too much knockback to be a combo move. It was in Melee and I think it needs to be one. Give it less lag and less knockback to make it more like that.

• Young Link needs more of something to make him unique. I suggested randomized arrows, but since that's apparently impossible at the moment, (Are you guys sure??)
we're going to have to figure out something else.

Preferrably a B move. B moves are the flashy moves anyway. Maybe make his boomerang or bombs do something different.

Suggestions:

1.) Though it's probably impossible, making his bombs bombchu's would be FREAKING AWESOME.

2.) Make his boomerang have some other effect. Like how Link's boomerang had a wind effect on players, perhaps give something else. Not very... Zelda related though.

3.) Maybe not a B move. Lucas has the same B moves as Ness and is an incredibly different character due to some slightly different B moves and immensely different A moves. Maybe we can discuss some alternate moves for Link? :O

Just some suggestions. I want new people to be attracted to this YL, not just old Melee players.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
I have a few suggestions for young link:

• Bair: It has too much knockback to be a combo move. It was in Melee and I think it needs to be one. Give it less lag and less knockback to make it more like that.

• Young Link needs more of something to make him unique. I suggested randomized arrows, but since that's apparently impossible at the moment, (Are you guys sure??)
we're going to have to figure out something else.

Preferrably a B move. B moves are the flashy moves anyway. Maybe make his boomerang or bombs do something different.

Suggestions:

1.) Though it's probably impossible, making his bombs bombchu's would be FREAKING AWESOME.

2.) Make his boomerang have some other effect. Like how Link's boomerang had a wind effect on players, perhaps give something else. Not very... Zelda related though.

3.) Maybe not a B move. Lucas has the same B moves as Ness and is an incredibly different character due to some slightly different B moves and immensely different A moves. Maybe we can discuss some alternate moves for Link? :O

Just some suggestions. I want new people to be attracted to this YL, not just old Melee players.
My responses to your suggestions:

1. Hmm... well, would giving ita pikachu model, shrinking it, texturing it, and giving it a sort of set path (homing?) work for that?

2. Yeah, maybe a sort of Dins fire powered boomerang (think fiery tornado)

3. We need that multi sword stab link.pac. We can edit it to affect TL.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
I really like the B moves like that. Some tweaks are neccessary but I would prefer no drastic change. Think of the Starfox trio. They all have the same moves, but are played differently. I really feel those projectiles work well together and add to Young Link's game in a complete different way from the Links.

Major, game breaking, changes should be reserved to A moves. I think the dash and FSmash are prime candidate for complete modifications.

Zephron

Smash Ace
I kind of like his dash attack. It was a good move in Melee and I loved it's horizontal knockback.

I recommend F smash and bombs. Those are the most similar to the other Links.

Bombchus would be very hard but don't you guys think it would make him a lot different and cool?
I really like them because it retains the OoT and MM theme from the game, and are still bombs, and have the basic mechanics of one but makes him unique.

They've already made Link's bombs into pigs, and Pikachu is one polygon, so it works.

Surely with PSA you can shrink him like you did Link, then simply make him go forwards and explode on contact or after a set amount of time.

Suggested Mechanics:

If he performs it in the air, it acts like a regular bomb and can be held for extra recovery (bomb jumping) or thrown to explode upon contact with opponent or ground.

On the ground, he has an animation of setting it on the ground (I'll look for a good one) and then it travels the ground (about 3/4 speed of an arrow?) to explode after 1/2 bomb time or upon contact with opponent.

Perhaps make it a strong move with lag or a quick move with knockback.
It needs to be different than his arrows, which are quick and have low knockback.

I would make the texture for the bombchus, btw.

As for his Fsmash, I'm slightly clueless. Brainstorm!

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Bombchus would be cool, but unfortunately I see some problems with that.

Bombs are in Common3.pac. What that means is that it will modify all kind of Link's bombs. Since we plan on doing Link vs. Young Link after the clone engine, it wouldn't work. We don't want Link to have bombchus as well.

If we want to change a model (not character) size, PSA is not what we need. PSA only works on character files. So the Pikachu model would need resizing in BrawlBox. I think its possible, but I would have no idea how.

And about the actual properties of the bombchu, that would require massive hex editing (in the common3.pac). It could be possible, but it would be a lot of work. We're not talking about modifying a simple article hitbox, we're trying to create one. I know item hacking is not really developped as much as other things.

Honestly, now that I think about it, bombchus would be good, but, to me, it seems near-impossible.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope so. I don' like being the devil's advocate, but I hate it more when I see people making plans for something that needs a lot more than they think to happen.

Anyways, for the FSmash, someone said we could use a jump slash like in OoT. Is there an animation for that somewhere? Or we could just make a single hit FSmash. The first hit is unable to combo into the second hit, instead it sends opponent far, like a regular FSmash. Or how about a three hit combo? The first 2 hits are weak slashes. The third sends flying. We could use the last jab animation (which is cut from Young Link) for the final hit.

Tylerelyt

Smash Apprentice
Ike is pretty close for the jump slash. Use his Side smash charge, and have him jump forward first. That would work pretty well, actually.

As for the bombchu-how exactly would it work? Just like a regular bomb? With homing abilities? When I think bombchu, I think of it being set down on the ground and sliding. I can't imagine it in the air.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
I imagine the bombchus like this: If on ground, YLink puts it immediately on the ground. It runs off, climbs any wall it can, and explodes after a set amount of time or if it hits something. The knockback would be pretty good. If in air, YLink drops it, it falls straight to the ground and after touching the ground, it starts running and etc.

Making it from scratch seems very possible, but not very plausible. What I mean is that it is probably doable, but needs more effort than anyone would be willing to put in it.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I don't believe you can edit items, so you'd have to replace something other than his bombs. Best case scenario, you could convert Navi into a proper weapon article... worst case scenario, you'd have to replace his boomerang or arrow do it.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Making it from scratch seems very possible, but not very plausible. What I mean is that it is probably doable, but needs more effort than anyone would be willing to put in it.

I did already suggest exactly how it worked, Tylerelyt. Just sayin'.
I wrote a lot but seriously read it.

Anyway, I'm willing to put in as much effort as possible.

Making Navi into the bomb would be incredibly strange but a very cool possibility. If we can change her model... Would it be different for the other Links?

Then you'd have to create the hitbox and make Navi appear on a down b.

Well, I stink at PSA stuff but I can help as much as possible for anything visual.

Sorry for going gaga over my own idea. I just really like it.

Also the jump slash Forward Smash seems amazing! Let's do that!
Ike's fair would work. I think that was suggested already. Great animation.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Jump Slash fsmash was my idea ;). I dont like the idea of modifying YL's bombs. Remember this:

YL's highlights in melee:
Bombs
Nair
Bair
Usmash
Boomerang
Arrows
Dsmash
Jab
Upair
Fire Spike/Down Air

The rest can be changed for all i care lol. Btw, I think YL already plays really different from the other links. He's more of a gimper than the other 2, grabs a lot more, etc.

Oh, and what zephron said about his bair is true.

Also, it would be nice if you guys could post a changelist from link to see EVERYTHING that has changed. It gets a little confusing without one. Then, I could help a lot in making him feel like melee but at the same time have new stuff.

BIG BOLDED LAST NOTE:

HIS PROYECTILES SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED!!!

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the PSA is still in progress. It's just the OP that is not updated. (I still think a new thread with updated OP would be needed). Search a bit to find the links. its not far at all.

I'll add the bair and Usmash changes.

I could make a changelist, shouldn't take too long. Is it really neccessary?

I don't think Ike's fair will work, but I'll try it sometimes. It would be awesome.

Changing Navi for bombchus would require a hex expert or something. We would be modifying completely an article.

ds22: Your idea is really good, but I don't think anyone wants to put that much effort in the idea.

ds22

Smash Lord
Yeah your right.
We could better wait for a code that adds extra character slots, if it's going to happen of course.
*PW magically appears and shows us a code to add extra character slots.*

Top Bottom