• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Archetypes in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hmm, so you suggest adding whiff punishing to the list? Where should it go? Any non-Tekken examples you can think of as well?
Whiff punishing would go under defensive play. Whiff punishing characters have the ability to bait out attacks and then go in for the kill. Whiff punishing is a part of fundamental aspect of fighting games so it may be a little difficult to pinpoint those that really use it as the main tactic.

At this time, I cannot think of any non-Tekken examples except for El Fuerte (at least how I play him). I might get back to you on that though.

Also, I'd put in Ms. Fortune from Skullgirls under Tag Partners.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
-Professor Layton-

I imagine a offensive/trap/sniper gameplay... I know I sound really unprofessional, but would anyone care to comment?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
E3 characters:
Mega Man: Sniper
Wii Fit Trainer: I'm guessing rushdown since she's probably fast.
Villager: Seems like a Joke character.

I think I would have to see more for the Villager.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To answer Manly's inquiry from another thread, I envision Chrom as being a Stance character, with changing moves based on whether he has his Falchion or Lance equipped.

D

Deleted member

I really need to update this thread. There are a ton of mistakes in the OP. It's just so much work... I'll do it later.

Also, I'll be sure to check out your Chrom thread Opossum. I still think Lyn is the optimal choice, but I'm willing to listen to what Chrom could offer.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
with Rosalina revealed, I see her as a zoning characters, probably falling under the Poker Archetype.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I see two big candidates for a stance change (hurr durr aegislash) character in Mewtwo and Prince Sable. Depending on how true we want to stay to source material, Sable could work with his prince, frog and snake formes all being stances. Mewtwo can't swap back and forth between his Mega Evolutions at will, but I think it helps Mewtwo stand out if Sable is getting cast aside.

Maybe Zoroark could work as a more complex stance changer, with his illusions being his different stances. But that'd get really complicated.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Stances, imo, make the most sense for characters from games with multiple weapon systems. So, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and I suppose stuff like Console Wars if we can consider it popular enough to be included.

For Kid Icarus it could involve changing from the different weapons available. Melee attacks remain similar but change damage/knockback, while projectiles change in form completely. For example, have Staff (longer range, slow pokes), Claws (fast melee, weak projectiles) and I guess a club? (slow but devastating, more defensive moves.)
As for Fire Emblem, the fact Awakening had such a prevalent class changing system means it's more interesting if the character from the game is able to switch specializations during the match. Between magic, swords, axes and lances, the possibilities for stances are endless.

D

Deleted member

More of a puppeteer really.
Yeah, Rosa is defo a Puppeteer type.

Also, if we get a Diddy Dixie due, they'll likely be a Duo+Transforming Hybrid. It seems like a very cool concept.

Anyway, I need to update that OP, make it more fluid, I guess I'll get around to it some day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I personally see Chrom as a stance-character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But can you see why kids love Cinammon Toast Crunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom