• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Only gonna comment on Dedede, because that's pretty much the only character I feel I'm really qualified to discuss in-depth...but I would rather his Inhale (and by extension, Kirby's) be allowed as a pseudo-pocket, where inhaling a projectile would have them waddle around like they just ate someone until they spit it out. It would be a huge commitment, but as long as spitting out the star had a relevant damage multiplier on it, it could be an incredibly useful tool. Moreso for Dedede as his struggles with projectiles are well-documented. Plus this is something that you can actually do in the Kirby games. :p

Of course Dedede's inhale would also probably need a few frames shaved off the start-up for it to be useful, but eh...

Allowing his ftilt to be clankable again (ala Brawl) would be another good way to address these problems, as he could better control the space around him and deal with projectile pressure in a meaningful way.
I was talking to someone that plays a bit of DDD and he would also like to see the perfect king get some buffs as well. He told me that for inhale he would like a kind of 1 hit armor. I like that idea because as he said it's a commitment for DDD to use that move so why should someone be able to dash attack into him and not get inhaled where they would have gotten inhaled. I think combine that with what you said and DDD will be a much more solid character.

I said this a few pages back, but it seemed to have gotten passed up so I'm posting a link to it.

http://smashboards.com/threads/char...theories-tactics.422864/page-68#post-20528776

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Grab range means nothing if you get nothing out of it. You're better off hitting a shield with safe moves and threatening to pop it. Ganon would benefit from a kill throw more.
are you saying that if you're not guaranteed follow-ups, sizable damage, or kill options then it's not worth? even before DK had dingdong his pivot grab was amazing in deterring reckless approaches. all grabs in this game reward stage control, which is a pretty fundamental necessity in taking games in higher levels of play. that's not to say safe shield pressure isn't great, but there are definitely times where situations call for either shield pressure or grabs.

someone can enter your expected range with a shield, and if you throw out your poke and they perfect shield, it's gonna suck. that's just an example where walk up grab can work really well. even in brawl this worked. ZeRo made a video about this a while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bVk5-4--0

I think DK and Bowser don't need buffs.

Outside of all of DK's grab stuff, heavies are relatively simple characters. They should be viable, but they can't be too good because if they were as good as the top tiers everyone would just play heavies due to having the same effectiveness but easier to use.

DK and Bowser already fulfill their viability conditions. They have good range, which puts the burden on the opponent to out manoeuvre them rather than just trade. Both of them are heavy and reliably kill before 100, which means they can afford to lose neutral more than their opponent and still win the stock.

People who want these two characters buffed (people still do want DK buffed believe it or not) just don't want to have to work for wins. They always complain about neutral, but neutral and DIing in disadvantage is where the skill to playing heavies is supposed to be. They have everything else easier than the rest of the cast.
I agree with this, although I feel that DK's reward off grab puts him significantly farther ahead than other heavies in the game. Idk, some kind of reliable kill conversion might be the spark that heavies need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
How bad does Olimar and, the better one, Alph get shut down by reflectors? I think reflectors can shut him down pretty hard, and if most of you agree how can Olimar counter it. I figure since we're talking about solo-mains and secondaries would it be better for an Olimar player to have a secondary for characters with reflects or do Olimar's other tools offer him enough to get around reflectors? I was just watching Xandu and FeelTension fought Logic's Olimar and I didn't see a single reflect come from him, I just wonder how good of an option FeelTension was neglecting to use.
Depends on the nature of the reflector and how often Olimar throws his Pikmin.

That I can remember (it's been a while since I fought Olimar), he has three moves that count as projectiles: side-b, f-smash and d-smash. Of these, the only one that he can reliably use without some kind of hard read is side-b, since the others have poor frame data and range to be useful in neutral. Olimar will no doubt be throwing quite a few Pikmin at you to soften you up, but if you're just going to use the reflector every time he does it, you're going to be very easy to bait.

I'd say it's useful as a mixup or if Olimar is throwing something dangerous (say, a white or purple) at you and you want to knock it back at him, but otherwise you're probably just as well off powershielding. I'd say it's a good option to have, but not something that invalidates Olimar or his Pikmin.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
I guess this dino has hope, then.

Though in all seriousness, I tend to also cover landings by pivot grabbing (Still want Brawl pivot grab back!).
utilize your command grab as well! when you pressure your opponents into shielding with yoshi's normals and eggs, you can land with egglay as opposed to spacing moves on their shield. b-reverses also open up many windows in netting command grabs as well.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I was playing an Olimar in friendlies once with Zelda and secured a stock because he happened to chuck a purple Pikmin at me while I had Nayru's Love out. Kinda unfortunate but I don't think it'll be that notable of a weakness unless your character has a really powerful and safe reflecting move.

Olimar to me feels under explored. I think he's stronger than people might give him credit for, but at the same time he also looks difficult to use and master.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
olimar's certainly good, and there are oli players (RichBrown, Mayran??, Dabuz) putting in work. some characters effectively poopie on pikmin, and that in turn kinda poopies on olimar. his spread is not consistent among MUs, which in my opinion makes him a pretty good counterpick/pocket char.

BetaDjinn

Smash Rookie
Mario is a well-rounded Brawler, and Pit is a well-rounded Swordfighter. Swordfighters generally have average attributes in movement and attack speed if they're on the quicker end, making Pit seem like a true all-rounder.
Not trying to call you out, nor am I even saying your post is wrong/bad

BUT

Classifying characters in that way is a fruitless endeavor IMO. Calling someone a "brawler" doesn't really say anything about how they play, where their strengths and weaknesses are, or really any defining trait aside from their lack of major disjoints and projectile game. No characters fit cleanly into categories like that (Mario has a decent projectile and a couple of decent disjoints for example), and characters in the same category don't necessarily have much in common (Sheik and ZSS would probably be categorized together but don't play alike).

If you have to classify characters it should be more focused on things like how they play neutral, ability to rack damage, how they finish stocks, etc. Even this is pointless IMO, as evidenced by no one doing it for the previous games. Fox is Fox, MK is MK, Sheik is Sheik, and on and on.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
are you saying that if you're not guaranteed follow-ups, sizable damage, or kill options then it's not worth? even before DK had dingdong his pivot grab was amazing in deterring reckless approaches. all grabs in this game reward stage control, which is a pretty fundamental necessity in taking games in higher levels of play. that's not to say safe shield pressure isn't great, but there are definitely times where situations call for either shield pressure or grabs.

someone can enter your expected range with a shield, and if you throw out your poke and they perfect shield, it's gonna suck. that's just an example where walk up grab can work really well. even in brawl this worked. ZeRo made a video about this a while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bVk5-4--0
I hope you're open to answering questions!

A lot of people complain that Marth's throws lack adequate damage, and that they send opponents too far for proper follow-ups. What's your take on this?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher

Blah, I gotta kill this mindset of reward being most important. The game is more complicated than that.

Wouldn't the threat of a more rewarding grab fill a similar role? Your effective range at its maximum would be the range of your normals, but getting in with dash to shield gets shut down by grabbing anyway. If someone gets inside your zone in shield, retreating normals and pivot grabbing are both safe options for most characters. Maybe I'm missing the point.

I forgot you were a back roomer, False! I'd say we're in good hands then.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
utilize your command grab as well! when you pressure your opponents into shielding with yoshi's normals and eggs, you can land with egglay as opposed to spacing moves on their shield. b-reverses also open up many windows in netting command grabs as well.
Not to suddenly change the subject, False, but I noticed that prior to 1.1.1, you were sort of a Luigi player at nationals. Has there ever been a circumstance that you ever went back to the character in any tournament afterwards like how Boss and ConCon remained loyal to him? If not, do you ever plan to go back to him in the future? Why?

Last edited:

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Blah, I gotta kill this mindset of reward being most important. The game is more complicated than that.

Wouldn't the threat of a more rewarding grab fill a similar role? Your effective range at its maximum would be the range of your normals, but getting in with dash to shield gets shut down by grabbing anyway. If someone gets inside your zone in shield, retreating normals and pivot grabbing are both safe options for most characters. Maybe I'm missing the point.

I forgot you were a back roomer, False! I'd say we're in good hands then.
hmmm... if you pressure someone into turtling, why would you continue to hack away at their shield when they could probably jump/roll to diffuse shield pressure? there are few true blockstrings in this game. Nairo is really good at smelling shields and going for grabs, even before he mained ZSS.

regardless, I feel like we're both right here. shield pressure is important too because if you diminish the universal go-to defensive option, then you can put the tilt on players. it's generally safer IMO, too. smash is a game where there's never one definitive answer to any situation, ever. that's the beauty of it, mix-ups are always happening!

people aren't always easily cracked by shield pressure though; players can take pride in their turtling, and it can give them time to think. if you grab them out of it, it threatens them because it goes against expectation.

thank you ^w^

Not to suddenly change the subject, False, but I noticed that prior to 1.1.1, you were sort of a Luigi player at nationals. Has there ever been a circumstance that you ever went back to the character in any tournament afterwards like how Boss and ConCon remained loyal to him? If not, do you ever plan to go back to him in the future? Why?
I went Luigi at the Xanadu I won last week, but only for a game. don't worry, he's lurking, and I've been practicing him. I can cover a majority of my comfortable MUs with Sheik and Ryu, but I know there's going to come a time where I need him.

Last edited by a moderator:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
I went Luigi at the Xanadu I won last week, but only for a game. don't worry, he's lurking, and I've been practicing him. I can cover a majority of my comfortable MUs with Sheik and Ryu, but I know there's going to come a time where I need him.
Since I have the chance to ask a great Luigi player, any MU's in particular to watch out for besides the obvious (Rosa, Sheik, Mega man and Pac man)? And how viable do you think Luigi is post patch? Do you think he's still top ten or did he drop down to top 15 or 20 (or perhaps further)? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just don't get the chance to ask these questions very often. :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Mario is a well-rounded Brawler, and Pit is a well-rounded Swordfighter. Swordfighters generally have average attributes in movement and attack speed if they're on the quicker end, making Pit seem like a true all-rounder.
Even then, Pit isn't all that slow because his walking speed is 16th best and his almost literally average dash speed, tied for 23rd with WFT, is bolstered by the high number of safe options out of it. Air speed is, well, terrible, and unlike Pika and Diddy (a little above and directly below Pit respectively) Pit lacks a solid horizontal burst movement option in the air. Ledge cancelled Upperdash is okay, but on FD or SV it's pretty useless. What he does have over everybody perceived to be above him, though, is his double jumps.

His frame data is also pretty fast since his slowest normal is f12, Uair, and I believe he's the only swordfighter with a f4 aerial, Nair. Only other f4 option on a swordfighter I can think of is Ike's Jab... Fastest ground move is f5, a tie between Jab and Dsmash. Tied for fastest Fsmash at F10, and Usmash is f6 which I imagine isn't beat by much if anything. Of course Ftilt and Utilt are also f10 and f6 respectively, but his other options cover them well.

Like Mario, I'd say he's decidedly above average at everything at worst. Might even be better at killing then Mario depending how you look at it... Mario can't rush in and kill with Fthrow, can't punish with a f6 Usmash, or use the back hit of Dsmash like Mewtwo would use his in general. (Also the back hit of Pit's Dsmash comes out two frames sooner and has two frames less cooldown then Mewtwo's Dsmash, so yeah.) Mario also isn't great at killing people on platforms since his Usmash doesn't reach (reach well?) and his Bair isn't a great kill move like Pit's. And if in some rare instance you're going toe-to-toe on a platform against him Upperdash kills a whole 10% sooner for every BF platform you go up, and getting grabbed is a death sentence since Dthrow > Uair I think is a KO confirm at some point and Uthrow just kills.

(Also Dthrow double jump Uair is a kill "combo" on CPUs on FD, not that anybody cares. :p)

LightLV

Smash Ace
Mario can't rush in and kill with Fthrow, can't punish with a f6 Usmash
Mario's Upsmash is f--ing stupid. You can do wwwwwwwwAAAAAAAAYYYY more than punish people with that move.

You can use Usmash as an Usmash, a Dsmash, an Fsmash, a punish, a roll catcher, a kill move, a spacing tool, A COMBO FILLER, Mario's upsmash is ********, what do you mean

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
What is the frame data for Mario's Usmash? I can punish with Mewtwo's even though it is frame 9 with less of a ground hit. (It tends to whiff people suffering landing lag)

I also don't think Mewtwo's Dsmash is really relevant in this area... It has a 46/42? FAF and comes out frame 16/19. Plus, it only hits one side. It is a great bait.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Mario's Upsmash is f--ing stupid. You can do wwwwwwwwAAAAAAAAYYYY more than punish people with that move.

You can use Usmash as an Usmash, a Dsmash, an Fsmash, a punish, a roll catcher, a kill move, a spacing tool, A COMBO FILLER, Mario's upsmash is ********, what do you mean
It's still only frame 9 + the frames required to do the pivot to actually hit in front of him. And to be fair he said "not punishing with a frame 6 upsmash" and it isn't.

It doesn't actually come out that fast, it has invincibility and very low FAF but it definitely gets stuffed in situations mewtwo would not.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Any reason you say this?
Because Pit's Usmash is frame 6, while Mario's is 9 and that's the back. For all intends Mario's is f12 or so. Except against like Pikachu or somebody else short it's the more effective punish.

I was comparing Mario's ability to get KOs to Pit's, not their Usmashes in general. Sheash, cool it a little.

What is the frame data for Mario's Usmash? I can punish with Mewtwo's even though it is frame 9 with less of a ground hit. (It tends to whiff people suffering landing lag)

I also don't think Mewtwo's Dsmash is really relevant in this area... It has a 46/42? FAF and comes out frame 16/19. Plus, it only hits one side. It is a great bait.
I was thinking it's more of a respect move, where if you for even a moment don't you're getting hit pretty hard.

Mario's Usmash hits on 9-12 and ends on 40.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not trying to call you out, nor am I even saying your post is wrong/bad

BUT

Classifying characters in that way is a fruitless endeavor IMO. Calling someone a "brawler" doesn't really say anything about how they play, where their strengths and weaknesses are, or really any defining trait aside from their lack of major disjoints and projectile game. No characters fit cleanly into categories like that (Mario has a decent projectile and a couple of decent disjoints for example), and characters in the same category don't necessarily have much in common (Sheik and ZSS would probably be categorized together but don't play alike).

If you have to classify characters it should be more focused on things like how they play neutral, ability to rack damage, how they finish stocks, etc. Even this is pointless IMO, as evidenced by no one doing it for the previous games. Fox is Fox, MK is MK, Sheik is Sheik, and on and on.
I made a few posts a while back about the three major archetypes in Smash as demonstrated by the three Mii Fighters we have, and how they tend to have similar moves to previously established fighters. And I also made a point to mention that of course characters do not necessarily fit neatly in one of the categories, sometimes taking elements from two or even three.

But Mario very clearly inspires the Mii Brawler, which is why I refer to him as such. The things he has over him, cape reflector, FLUDD and a decent projectile make him more well-rounded than he would be otherwise, but he still has the Brawler traits of good mobility and high attack speed + very good combo game hampered by poor range and lack of disjoints at the core (really, he only has two notable disjoints in usmash and cape in default, three with scalding FLUDD).

If Mario's usmash is stupid, Dr. Mario's must be inbred.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I made a few posts a while back about the three major archetypes in Smash as demonstrated by the three Mii Fighters we have, and how they tend to have similar moves to previously established fighters. And I also made a point to mention that of course characters do not necessarily fit neatly in one of the categories, sometimes taking elements from two or even three.

But Mario very clearly inspires the Mii Brawler, which is why I refer to him as such. The things he has over him, cape reflector, FLUDD and a decent projectile make him more well-rounded than he would be otherwise, but he still has the Brawler traits of good mobility and high attack speed + very good combo game hampered by poor range and lack of disjoints at the core (really, he only has two notable disjoints in usmash and cape in default, three with scalding FLUDD).

If Mario's usmash is stupid, Dr. Mario's must be inbred.
Most characters are divided into classes.

Light, Medium, Heavy
Fast, normal, Slow
High Damage, Medium Damage, Low Damage

Fast with Low Damage, Medium Damage with Normal Speed, High damage but slow.

Brawler (Close Combat), Swordfighter (Midranged Combat), Gunner (Long ranged)

Knight, Ninja, Mage

Almost every game has different classes, and Sm4sh is no different.

(Note: I am just adding on to what MB said)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Most characters are divided into classes.

Light, Medium, Heavy
Fast, normal, Slow
High Damage, Medium Damage, Low Damage

Fast with Low Damage, Medium Damage with Normal Speed, High damage but slow.

Brawler (Close Combat), Swordfighter (Midranged Combat), Gunner (Long ranged)

Knight, Ninja, Mage

Almost every game has different classes, and Sm4sh is no different.

(Note: I am just adding on to what MB said)
Even the Mii Fighters have their light/heavy variations. People just forget the heavy ones exist because the lighter ones are far superior competitively.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
I'd just like to note that Japan does bo1 pools but they also do them round robin, so it's not two losses and you're out.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
ESAM doesn't really trust this site. He's a free thinker.
I liked how he free thought his way into getting beat by a character he rejected to bottom 10. :p

To his credit, he's opposed to tiers in general, which I think is smart.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Why exactly do people think Roy is bad? He obviously isn't top 20 but I've seen a lot of people consider him to be lower-mid or worse and I just don't understand why. What are Roy's qualities that put him so low in some people's eyes?

Last edited:

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
What does being "opposed to tiers" entail?
ESAM basically believes that specific character placement is arbitrary and the only classification that matters is that characters are either garbage, mid-tier, or capable of winning/consistently doing well at tournaments.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
I hope you're open to answering questions!

A lot of people complain that Marth's throws lack adequate damage, and that they send opponents too far for proper follow-ups. What's your take on this?
It is what it is, his throws have never really done much damage in ANY iteration of smash.

He has true combos at low percents, and 50-50s at mid percents, and a kill throw at higher percents. I think it's fine. As Ive stated before, getting grabs will reward stage control. Marths ledge trapping is above average, so this is especially good for him.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What does being "opposed to tiers" entail?
ESAM basically believes that specific character placement is arbitrary and the only classification that matters is that characters are either garbage, mid-tier, or capable of winning/consistently doing well at tournaments.
This, basically.

He's more focused on categories as opposed to no. 1, 2, 3, etc.
I tend to agree with him. I don't think of a character as a number, but rather Top, High, High-Low Mid, and Low.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
oh hey spaceman stuff

How bad does Olimar and, the better one, Alph get shut down by reflectors? I think reflectors can shut him down pretty hard, and if most of you agree how can Olimar counter it. I figure since we're talking about solo-mains and secondaries would it be better for an Olimar player to have a secondary for characters with reflects or do Olimar's other tools offer him enough to get around reflectors? I was just watching Xandu and FeelTension fought Logic's Olimar and I didn't see a single reflect come from him, I just wonder how good of an option FeelTension was neglecting to use.
Reflectors make some matchups with those that do have them harder for Olimar, but I don't think they're the primary reason why the matchups are hard in the first place. Like Wintropy Wintropy said, a reflector could or could not make a difference in matchups depending on how it works.

:4mario: - Because of how fast it comes out, Cape makes using side B on him harder and Fsmash a risky move starting from around 30-40%. However, it doesn't stop properly timed dash grabs because the grab hitbox is on the Pikmin, which is unaffected by the cape, and the cape doesn't apply hitstun on Olimar. He also has Dtilt which is fast enough to punish a whiff if he can't time his grabs right. In my opinion, Mario players who tend to cape a lot are easier to handle than those who constantly attempt to get in Olimar's face through frame data and mobility (and use cape unpredictably), which is much more threatening. Most of this also applies to :4drmario:'s Super Sheet, except that he lacks the mobility Mario has to approach Olimar quickly.

:4fox: - Reflector isn't used too much in my games against him, so I don't think it's a big factor in the MU. It has enough ending lag on it that Olimar can come in with a grab, and if he holds it for too long he could just get hit by Ftilt or Dtilt. Fox is a hard matchup for Olimar mainly because of speed and combo stuff. He has a couple of safe aerials that can take off Pikmin quickly, and his dash attack comes out fast enough and lasts long enough to disregard side B and Fsmash.

:4ness: - The bat isn't fast enough to consistently keep off side B, so it's threatening only if Olimar attempts to Fsmash close up. However, it's hard for Ness to approach Olimar safely bar dash attack, and since Olimar doesn't prefer to fight up close most of the time, the bat isn't too much of an issue.

:4lucas: - Lucas's stick comes out quick enough that trying to punish an approaching Nair with Fsmash would probably result in Olimar taking the reflect, so Olimar would need to apply pivot grabs instead. Zair can stop side B on top of PK Fire, so it may take a bit to win the zoning battle to force an approach.

:4falco: - Falco's Reflector is a little more problematic than Fox's because it lasts for a long time even on the way back, has a hitbox, and comes out quickly. That being said, the hitbox only lasts until the reflector hits its peak of its distance, at which point Olimar can Dtilt Falco if he powershields and he's close enough. Also, despite that and lasers, the matchup doesn't look that hard to me because if Olimar can stay right around mid-range and play around the reflector enough, then Falco would have to approach.

:4palutena: - Reflect Barrier lasts for a long time. I'm not sure if full hop side B can go over it aside from yellows. The only weakness the barrier has is that Olimar can still grab Palmtree through the barrier after the first few frames it's out, though it might be impossible to do any followups from Dthrow.

:4mewtwo: - Not enough experience against Mewtwo, but I'm having difficulties on what I can do against Confusion because it's also a command grab .

:4zelda: - I think this post explains it well enough.

I don't have a lot of experience with the characters below Ness, so my opinion on those reflectors may be inaccurate.

That I can remember (it's been a while since I fought Olimar), he has three moves that count as projectiles: side-b, f-smash and d-smash. Of these, the only one that he can reliably use without some kind of hard read is side-b, since the others have poor frame data and range to be useful in neutral. Olimar will no doubt be throwing quite a few Pikmin at you to soften you up, but if you're just going to use the reflector every time he does it, you're going to be very easy to bait.
Side B and all of his smashes, including Usmash, are projectiles. All of his aerials are also projectiles, but they can't be reflected (they can clank with most attacks though).

Olimar to me feels under explored. I think he's stronger than people might give him credit for, but at the same time he also looks difficult to use and master.
Olimar does have a lot of intricacies that make him more complex than most characters (taking advantage of whistle armor, cycling for colors, edgeguarding with Dsmash, unreliable desync smashes, etc.), but I think they don't make him as technical as Peach or Ryu because he doesn't require as much player inputs to make use of most of his little details. I do think that making the most out of some of these things (whistle, Dsmash, etc.) can potentially change the overall view on his viability a little because it could make what might be a defensive/reactive character relying on disjointed smashes, side B, and pivot grab into a character with a little more active and pressure-based playstyle (something like this). Even if they do make a difference, it may not help too much with his MU spread; most of his disadvantageous matchups are those that have the ability to deal with his projectiles, either through sheer speed (Falcon, Sheik, Mario), outcamping (ROB, also Sheik), or avoiding most of Olimar's ground-based stuff (Yoshi, Peach). Most of these characters are tournament viable at the very least, so it's probably the reason why Olimar may be difficult to make widespread tourney results as a solo main or is regarded only as a pocket character for some players, like False False said.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I've noticed a lot of characters, specifically ledge play characters (Marth, Roy, Duck hunt, dedede, etc) Have pseudo kill confirms off the opponent on the ledge.

A nice universal change I think would be to reverse how invincibility on ledge is determined.

The longer you take to grab the ledge (i.e how deep you went out/how much you stalled out) gives you MORE invincibility. Personally, I think it should be less. Grabbing the ledge ASAP is almost never optimal and the more risky option. Recovering low/deep/timed is just doubly safe and there's no reason not to do it 90% of the time.

Of course it goes down with percent and that's fine, but that means hitting them far offstage but not killing them puts them in a better position then barely knocking them offstage at all. That's silly.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Even then, Pit isn't all that slow because his walking speed is 16th best and his almost literally average dash speed, tied for 23rd with WFT, is bolstered by the high number of safe options out of it. Air speed is, well, terrible, and unlike Pika and Diddy (a little above and directly below Pit respectively) Pit lacks a solid horizontal burst movement option in the air. Ledge cancelled Upperdash is okay, but on FD or SV it's pretty useless. What he does have over everybody perceived to be above him, though, is his double jumps.

His frame data is also pretty fast since his slowest normal is f12, Uair, and I believe he's the only swordfighter with a f4 aerial, Nair. Only other f4 option on a swordfighter I can think of is Ike's Jab... Fastest ground move is f5, a tie between Jab and Dsmash. Tied for fastest Fsmash at F10, and Usmash is f6 which I imagine isn't beat by much if anything. Of course Ftilt and Utilt are also f10 and f6 respectively, but his other options cover them well.

Like Mario, I'd say he's decidedly above average at everything at worst. Might even be better at killing then Mario depending how you look at it... Mario can't rush in and kill with Fthrow, can't punish with a f6 Usmash, or use the back hit of Dsmash like Mewtwo would use his in general. (Also the back hit of Pit's Dsmash comes out two frames sooner and has two frames less cooldown then Mewtwo's Dsmash, so yeah.) Mario also isn't great at killing people on platforms since his Usmash doesn't reach (reach well?) and his Bair isn't a great kill move like Pit's. And if in some rare instance you're going toe-to-toe on a platform against him Upperdash kills a whole 10% sooner for every BF platform you go up, and getting grabbed is a death sentence since Dthrow > Uair I think is a KO confirm at some point and Uthrow just kills.

(Also Dthrow double jump Uair is a kill "combo" on CPUs on FD, not that anybody cares. :p)
You're not considering three things which I feel make Mario better than Pit.

Pit has an ALRIGHT kill throw, it mostly works around ledges but so does Mario's back throw. That said, both characters have a potential kill off of grabs.

you're certainly justified in your comparison of frame data; Pit has relatively fast start up moves. however, that doesn't inherently make moves better. Pits usmash is pretty terrible on whiff, which is something we should consider when evaluating the utility and effectiveness of a move. Have you seen top plumber mains control space around them with low cool down usmashes? Ally usmashed 5 times straight, hitting Nyanko on the 5th to take the set over in Japan. point is, head is invincible, and you can keep swinging. It covers 160~ degrees, and Pits only covers above him.

Damage output and reward. If Mario lands any kind of landing aerial or a grab, he can convert that to about 30-60 percent every time. Don't even mention platforms for combo extensions! Pit gets low percent combos, but can't really net the reward Mario can.

Both characters have average projectiles. The only edge I give to Pit are his jumps, which can be used to avoid landing and juggle traps. Mario's aerial mobility and jump heights are also a saving grace too, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom