• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I like how Nairo vs Marss is literally

The sensei pulling out all the stops to show that there is always someone stronger, to never stop improving. Scared of how he'll do in future majors.

Did you guys notice how during top 8, 90% of ledge pressure was just standing in shield, waiting to punish the getup option? Especially in Zero vs Dabuz. Ledge stand was chosen almost always, I guess the other options are just that reactable? I do think people didn't go offstage to hit Rosa's poor recovery often enough, but Rosa went off and kept trying to hit Sheik, but invincibility is too good.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
The only change sheik could possibly need is removing invincibility on the startup of vanish, OR make it so the second part of vanish does not have a hitbox

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The only change sheik could possibly need is removing invincibility on the startup of vanish, OR make it so the second part of vanish does not have a hitbox
I second this. Sheik with a worse recovery would be much more bearable. It's frustrating when a character that already has an excellent ground and air game can recover for free.

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
I like how Nairo vs Marss is literally

The sensei pulling out all the stops to show that there is always someone stronger, to never stop improving. Scared of how he'll do in future majors.

Did you guys notice how during top 8, 90% of ledge pressure was just standing in shield, waiting to punish the getup option? Especially in Zero vs Dabuz. Ledge stand was chosen almost always, I guess the other options are just that reactable? I do think people didn't go offstage to hit Rosa's poor recovery often enough, but Rosa went off and kept trying to hit Sheik, but invincibility is too good.
That's because the ledge-trump mechanic allows for stuff like that.

I personally dislike the ledge-mechanics here in Smash 4.

The ledge-trump mechanic makes alot of recoveries free. It's more about covering your opponents ledge-options instead of edge-guarding them. It boils edge-play down to a guessing game and nothing more.

I think it would be totally fine, due to the amount of ridiculous recoveries in this game, but it could unfortunately make the game even more unbalanced.

Sheik could dominate even more. Characters that rely on ledge-snapping becomes alot worse.

The low-tiers would be even more low-tier. Little Mac and Ganondorf are now G-tier.

Last edited:

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
I second this. Sheik with a worse recovery would be much more bearable. It's frustrating when a character that already has an excellent ground and air game can recover for free.
Exactly. they can already not get hit during the beginning of vanish and on the off chance they mis-input and land on stage its still rarely punishable due to the hitbox. Just my two cents, I dont think she needs to be nerfed in any other way

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I'll gladly take making some recoveries so-called "free" in exchange for not screwing over certain characters with bad recoveries because they got ledge-hogged (Falcon, Dorf, etc.). I know all of this interesting play developed because of ledge hogging and such but it's such an inelegant facet of previous Smash games.

Re: Lack of Bowser representation, I decided to just search through the names of the players to find any notable Bowsers who might have drowned in pools, and I found pretty much no notable Bowsers who even ATTENDED the tournament. No Chaos, no King Kong, no Le Troof, etc. I might be missing someone but it just seems that for some characters they just didn't have any decent reps going in, let alone reps in the top 32.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
The thing is, Rosa is an intended counter to Ness, and one of the few cases I can think of where it's almost explicitly put out there by the developers. I can't really think of many other character-specific tips that encourage the use of a particular tool against a certain character (although as I'm writing this I'm starting to think maybe there is one with regards to FLUDD and LM or someone similar).

On a positive note I'm happy to see Ness re-cementing himself where he needs to be. Also to whoever said that most of these results reflect what we'd already know, I'd disagree and point to TL and DK, ESPECIALLY the former. I legitimately think TL is between 20th-25th and that's a lot better than I think a lot of people used to have him as (somewhere in the mid 30's).
  • F.L.U.D.D. – F.L.U.D.D.'s water is great for stopping fighters like Ness and Ike from recovering with their up specials. Try to keep it charged and ready!
Source: http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_tips_(SSB4-Wii_U)#Mario

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Utilt utilt utilt upsmash. 30-40% done
Bomb to follow up + chip damage - 70-80%
You're at death % to fsmash.
Damage output isn't the potential damage you can dish out, a big part of it is how reliably and consistently you can deal that damage. You're just theorycrafting here.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Damage output isn't the potential damage you can dish out, a big part of it is how reliably and consistently you can deal that damage. You're just theorycrafting here.
Hyuga must have done an impossimbly good job directly translating that so-called theorycraft into hard results then.

:059:

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Just noticed but were there any Wario's at G3? I assume Reflex didn't go. There's a character that is on the fringe of high tier. Hopefully we see some results going forward.

Also I would love to be proven wrong about Yoshi. He's got great physics and great buttons but his combo game and grab game are poor. I don't see high tier personally, but I know there's more to the character. I certainly can't play him well.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Mii Gunner and Swordfighter are low mid tier at least. And not garbage tier. Mii Brawler is Top15...
... if tournaments finally run the correct rulesets. Poor Mii Mains. They Metagame cannot even advance. I could imagine Mii Gunner and Swordfighter being higher mid tier but their metagame doesn't advance because the rules screw them so not one is encouraged to play them, because they could be screwed by ruleset changes anytime.

Good thing Beast 6 allows at least one of their best sets (even though I don't like that solution; shoutouts at MLG for the best ruleset) but I think I'll be the only Brawler player there..
[/QUOTE]
Kinda my point. They ARE garbage with no customs and I want them to not be garbage REGARDLESS of ruleset. I play Brawler too, albeit as a disrespect/fun character and CASUALS tell me no because they are "banned" so I beat them up with Ness or Rosa when I wanted to play Mii Brawler and have fun playing a character I like.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Hyuga must have done did an impossimbly good job directly translating that so-called theorycraft into hard results then.

Good on Hyuga.

Don't see how that changes how much work Toon needs to put in to rack up that damage compared to most characters. It speaks more about Hyuga than the character.

Just noticed but were there any Wario's at G3? I assume Reflex didn't go. There's a character that is on the fringe of high tier. Hopefully we see some results going forward.
Reflex didn't go, he attended KiT16. There were Waymas, Jeepy, Nasubi and C4 but they all drowned in pools.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Is Mii Brawler top 15 due to matchup unfamialrity or just because or his insane reward/early kill potential? There are so few mii brawler players so its hard to know. It's unfortunate that Mii's meta is being restricted and I cant see any future for them sadly because of how the smash community does not like any change to the system(except when it comes to nerfing zss/sheik)
I play a lot Mii Brawler in germany and germany has them free from the very beginning. The people have adapted to the match-up and the early Helicopter Kick kills rarely happen anymore. And I still don't feel like this character is anything worse. He has a really good mobility, insane damage output, combos and frame traps, a killing frame 8 upB OoS (most grabs are frame 7 in comarison) a really strong disadvantage state and recovery thanks to feint jump.
I really wish these character's metagame would get pushed forward by more players but the current ruleset inconsistency makes it impossible even though all 3 Mii's have a lot to offer.

(Talking about Guest Mii's + Free Moves like at MLG)

Kinda my point. They ARE garbage with no customs and I want them to not be garbage REGARDLESS of ruleset. I play Brawler too, albeit as a disrespect/fun character and CASUALS tell me no because they are "banned" so I beat them up with Ness or Rosa when I wanted to play Mii Brawler and have fun playing a character I like.
There is no reason for the devs to buff them to make them good "regardless of ruleset" if they are never meant to be played as 1111 because nothing in the game implies that they should be played this way and thus all moves are coming in mind when balancing them.

E: my quoting skills suck

Last edited:

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
I'll gladly take making some recoveries so-called "free" in exchange for not screwing over certain characters with bad recoveries because they got ledge-hogged (Falcon, Dorf, etc.). I know all of this interesting play developed because of ledge hogging and such but it's such an inelegant facet of previous Smash games.

Re: Lack of Bowser representation, I decided to just search through the names of the players to find any notable Bowsers who might have drowned in pools, and I found pretty much no notable Bowsers who even ATTENDED the tournament. No Chaos, no King Kong, no Le Troof, etc. I might be missing someone but it just seems that for some characters they just didn't have any decent reps going in, let alone reps in the top 32.
To add onto that, here is a post attempting to detail the highest placing each character got at Genesis. While looking around in order to add info on the missing characters, I noticed a distinct lack of Shulk mains (Artyruu, Silentdoom, Jerm (the non Texas Jerm), Jayroach) and Ganondorf mains (Ray Kalm, Pon, Gungir, Vermanubis, Bloodynite) who went. Pon recently outplaced Selena (the Japanese Meta Knight main who came to genesis) at the last Umebura right before Genesis.

EDIT: Found a Shulk main, FOcast, who placed 5th in round 1 pools, but that was all

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Speaking of hard results if we're wise we're going to value the data of G3 extremely high. Captain obvious stuff, I know, but I really think we should call time upon the days where we'd place Pikachu in top 8 or Mario in top 5 for whatever reason. Facts are facts and you can't argue against Diddy heavily contributing to Zero's win. He made it to top 8 almost entirely with Diddy and it's highly likely that even as solo Diddy he'd reach the top 4. There simply is no justification for having Pikachu above Diddy or Mario above MK at this point.

Uber tier: :4sheik: :4zss: [ordered]
Top tier: :4diddy: :4sonic: :rosalina: [unordered]
Very high tier: :4fox: :4metaknight: :4villagerf: [unordered]

[This is my evaluation of the metagame with heavy consideration of the G3 results, not really my personal opinion. I'm not convinced that Rosalina is top 5 and I still think Ryu is a top tier character. But arging against facts and data is a losing battle that I have no interest in].

I think it's very clear by now that Villager has to be way up there. You can argue about Ranai's individual skill all you want but that amount of success and consistency he has running this character solo cannot be ignored or attributed entirely to the player. Ally is a fantastic player and Mario is a good character yet he doesn't win big tournaments nor does he reach the top 8 at G3 with solo Mario. His results are impressive but do not come close to match his success in the Brawl era where he'd run top tiers all the way. I don't think it'd be fair or accurate to say that Ally isn't as good a player as Ranai is. Villager is just a better character than Mario. Ranai also doesn't have the same streaks of inconsistency that ESAM does at the moment, which is a really remarkable thing to sayw because ESAM used to be Mr.Consistent pretty much throughout the whole Brawl era ... but again, Villager is just plain the better character.

People like to call out Yoshi for his results and call him mid tier after his G3 performance - really? Like Yikarur said, 3x top 64 is by a no means a bad showing and his metagame only just started to move forward recently with the uprise of The Wall. In sum Yoshi did better than characters like Wario [repped by Waymas and Nasubi] or Ike [Ryuga, Ryo, SM] so people are definitely jumping conclusions way too fast here.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Good on Hyuga.

Don't see how that changes how much work Toon needs to put in to rack up that damage compared to most characters. It speaks more about Hyuga than the character.
Speaking of damage. Look at what I found. A chart showing damage output rankings. (It's pretty old so Roy, Ryu, Lucas, and Cloud aren't on there.)

Toon Link is in the same rank as Marth.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
where's :4ness: relative to the other characters on the little list? he had a very strong showing at g3(1 in top 8, 2 in top 16)

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
To add onto that, here is a post attempting to detail the highest placing each character got at Genesis. While looking around in order to add info on the missing characters, I noticed a distinct lack of Shulk mains (Artyruu, Silentdoom, Jerm (the non Texas Jerm), Jayroach) and Ganondorf mains (Ray Kalm, Pon, Gungir, Vermanubis, Bloodynite) who went. Pon recently outplaced Selena (the Japanese Meta Knight main who came to genesis) at the last Umebura right before Genesis.

EDIT: Found a Shulk main, FOcast, who placed 5th in round 1 pools, but that was all
Oh so there's a different Jerm who plays Robin then? I was about to be super confused.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Alright, here's the top 64 at Genesis 3...

Top 8:

1 Zero :4sheik::4diddy:
2 Dabuz :rosalina:
3 Ranai :4villager:
4 Void :4sheik:
5 Fow :4ness:
5 Nairo :4zss:
7 Larry :4fox:
7 Marss :4zss:

9th:

Ally :4mario:
Mr.R :4sheik:
Shaky :4ness:
Hyuga :4tlink:

13th:

6WX :4sonic:
Earth :4pit:
Esam :4pikachu:
Tyrant :4metaknight:

17th:

Ito :4metaknight:
Komorikiri :4sonic::4cloud:
ONI Heero :4sonic:
Xzax :4fox:
Fatality :4falcon:
SlayerZ :4peach:
Trela :4ryu:
Cacogen :4sheik:

25th:

Trevonte :4sheik:
MrConCon :4luigi:
Zinoto :4diddy:
Nakat :4pikachu::4fox:
DK Will :4dk:
RIN :4wiifit:
Nietono :4diddy:
Rain :4sheik:

33rd:

Akiro
Umeki :4peach:
Tweek :4bowserjr:(:4cloud:)
falln :rosalina:
Angel Cortes :4diddy:
Zex :4sheik:
DJ Jack :4ryu:
Zan :4tlink:
Jerm
8bitman :4rob:
Seagull Joe :4sonic:
Teb :4mario:
Vinnie :4sheik:
MVD :4diddy:
Salena :4metaknight:
Tearbear :4falcon:

49th:

Raptor :4yoshi:
Nick Riddle :4zss:
Captain L (:4pikachu:?)
Apachai~

Big D :4dedede:
9B :4ryu:
Abadango :4metaknight:
Jtails :4diddy:
K9sbruce :4sheik:
The Wall :4yoshi:
J! :4sheik:
False :4sheik::4ryu:
Ribs :4ness:
Mister Eric :4rob:
Xaltis :rosalina:
Karna (:4sheik:?)

Feel free to fill in the blue ones for which I'm not sure about their character(s).

Last edited:

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
where's :4ness: relative to the other characters on the little list? he had a very strong showing at g3(1 in top 8, 2 in top 16)
My personal bet is somewhere along the lines with Mario and Luigi. Overall good results from players like NAKAT, Shaky, Ribs and of course FOW. Amazing air-game and grab game helps when shielding is such a strong option. Rosalina is a huge problem.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hard to say because I'm not sure how much the G3 results tell us about Ness' individual matchups. Calling him top 10 wouldn't be a stretch though.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon

Top 8:

9th:

13th:

17th:

25th:

33rd:

Akiro
Jerm

49th:

Apachai~

Feel free to fill in the blue ones for which I'm not sure about their character(s).
Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 is right, just look here
Jerm - Robin
Apachai - Ryu
Akiro - Sheik

Plain Yogurt Plain Yogurt Yes a different one, I checked more because for a second I thought Shulk almost made it into top 32 (this Jerm lost the match to top 32 to Nairo)

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

Top 8:

9th:

13th:

17th:

25th:

33rd:

Akiro
Jerm

49th:

Apachai~

Dude, just check the SSB Wiki, They have the top 128 or however much and all their characters

Edit:Sorry if that line on the top meant anything, I never even typed that in lol.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

Don't believe any top Ganon main has attended an American national event thus far, at least not if we mean by that Kalm, Verm, or GanontheBeast, or the Japanese Dorfs. The best Dorf that went to Genesis 3 was Swoops and got like 5th in round 1 pools.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Add Sheik's Bouncing Fish dealing less damage and KB, F-Air having more ending lag and start up, F-Tilt having much more endlag, Needles dealing no KB near the end or having less range and have her throw combo ability nerfed to the list.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Add Sheik's Bouncing Fish dealing less damage and KB, F-Air having more ending lag and start up, F-Tilt having much more endlag, Needles dealing no KB near the end or having less range and have her throw combo ability nerfed to the list.
The last thing Sheik needs is less knockback.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Speaking of hard results if we're wise we're going to value the data of G3 extremely high. Captain obvious stuff, I know, but I really think we should call time upon the days where we'd place Pikachu in top 8 or Mario in top 5 for whatever reason. Facts are facts and you can't argue against Diddy heavily contributing to Zero's win. He made it to top 8 almost entirely with Diddy and it's highly likely that even as solo Diddy he'd reach the top 4. There simply is no justification for having Pikachu above Diddy or Mario above MK at this point.

[This is my evaluation of the metagame with heavy consideration of the G3 results, not really my personal opinion. I'm not convinced that Rosalina is top 5 and I still think Ryu is a top tier character. But arging against facts and data is a losing battle that I have no interest in].

I think it's very clear by now that Villager has to be way up there. You can argue about Ranai's individual skill all you want but that amount of success and consistency he has running this character solo cannot be ignored or attributed entirely to the player. Ally is a fantastic player and Mario is a good character yet he doesn't win big tournaments nor does he reach the top 8 at G3 with solo Mario. His results are impressive but do not come close to match his success in the Brawl era where he'd run top tiers all the way. I don't think it'd be fair or accurate to say that Ally isn't as good a player as Ranai is. Villager is just a better character than Mario. Ranai also doesn't have the same streaks of inconsistency that ESAM does at the moment, which is a really remarkable thing to sayw because ESAM used to be Mr.Consistent pretty much throughout the whole Brawl era ... but again, Villager is just plain the better character.

People like to call out Yoshi for his results and call him mid tier after his G3 performance - really? Like Yikarur said, 3x top 64 is by a no means a bad showing and his metagame only just started to move forward recently with the uprise of The Wall. In sum Yoshi did better than characters like Wario [repped by Waymas and Nasubi] or Ike [Ryuga, Ryo, SM] so people are definitely jumping conclusions way too fast here.

While Genesis 3 is incredibly important in terms of the sheer skill density of it's players, we need to remember that this is just one tournament. To use it as the end all be all in terms of evaluating character rankings would be to inflate the rankings of whomever showed up to this tournament alone.

:4villagerf: is an amazing character but trying to stamp out where this character lies in this point in time seems like a fool's endeavor. We should not be making conclusions about the character at this time- more data is needed to be able to figure out where it lies. The dearth of any other Villager in top 64 is also a point to mention, though we can argue that US (and the rest of the world's Villagers) are not good.

:4yoshi: being mid tier depends on what your definition of mid tier is; IMO, if you think :4peach: is mid-tier, Yoshi goes there as well. :4wario2: was missing his best player in Reflex so I don't think that's too big a concern. :4myfriends: underperformed, no question there.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Damn, I didn't know Big D made it that far. Amazing stuff from him.

Does make me wonder where our penguin friend fully fits in at. I'm pretty convinced he's really poorly off, but how bad is another question. Might be above Smash 4's definition of "garbage tier" maybe? Maybe?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Does make me wonder where our penguin friend fully fits in at. I'm pretty convinced he's really poorly off, but how bad is another question. Might be above Smash 4's definition of "garbage tier" maybe? Maybe?
He's definitely above that. You're just not gonna see him break even (e.g. mid-tier) any time soon.

Also helps that Big D is nothing short of amazing on his own as a player. M2K isn't the only notable person he's taken down in this game, after all.

Quick edit:

~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~

jokes aside, there's Villyness, MJG (whomp whomp whomp, though), and a few others. Villyness being the major notable one besides Ranai.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Was wondering where Jtails got to. Glad to see he's still using Diddy.

Fun fact :I've had some success using Kirby's stone to gimp Sheiks using Vanish but I'll check if it still works after all this time.. *Goes *

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Near the top of low tier and I'd argue that him and Bowser Jr are on almost equal footing. :4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4palutena::4feroy::4zelda: are definitely worse while :4lucina::4samus::4shulk:maybe a smidge better or a little worse than those two.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
ah The other Yoshi didn't make the Top64 cut. I thought he'd be up there. So it's 2 Yoshis in Top64 at least.
Was gonna say, who was this mysterious 3rd Yoshi, cause the only others I knew about was firefly and doom but they both lost round 1 in Round 2 pools so 129th place basically.

:4yoshi: being mid tier depends on what your definition of mid tier is; IMO, if you think :4peach: is mid-tier, Yoshi goes there as well. :4wario2: was missing his best player in Reflex so I don't think that's too big a concern. :4myfriends: underperformed, no question there.
All 4 of these characters along with Tink the pits and a couple others seem like they'd fit into the high Tier area, like top 15-25.

Also are we all in agreement that Cloud is possibly top 10?

Yikarur

Smash Master
:4sheik: 14
:4diddy: 7
:4sonic: 4
:4metaknight: 4
:4ryu: 4
:4zss: 3
:4ness: 3
:4fox: 3
:rosalina: 3
:4pikachu: 3

:4tlink: 2
:4mario: 2
:4peach: 2
:4cloud: 2
:4rob: 2
:4yoshi: 2
:4falcon: 2

:4villager: 1
:4pit: 1
:4luigi: 1
:4dk: 1
:4wiifit: 1
:4robinm: 1
:4bowserjr: 1
:4dedede: 1
:4bowser: 1

26 different characters in Top64
Every character played more than twice is considered a potential Top10 character.

Everytime I've seen Komorikiri playing I've seen him playing Sonic except for the set against Mr.R where he got pretty much bodied. Cloud is probably not a Top10 character. He is just the easiest character to play in this game while being good at the same time.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

Mario is definitely not top 5. He's pretty common in tourneys as an "easy" pick, but he's behind at least all the other characters you mentioned as well as Ryu and probably Pika even if he wins 1 on 1 vs. him. That would put him outside top 10. Top 15 seems fine, but it's pretty clustered at the top and we need to be stricter about top 15 since close to half the characters in the game have shown the ability to get relevant results at majors, and just saying "top 15" for any mid tier that gets top 32 at a major doesn't reflect reality.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Top 15, but yeah. Cloud is a great character with room to grow. I feel like with that growth, however, counterplay is going to emerge that presses Cloud's eminent weaknesses to the fore. Mr. R's surgical play versus Komo should be a testament to the beginnings of this.

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

Samus and Shulk are definitely better than D3, bud. Lucina is also definitely worse than he is.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom