• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The only straight nerf Mario got is to D-Smash. It was 15% damage in Brawl and now it's 10% damage in Smash 4. Everything else was either due to engine changes or straight up better.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Vectoring removal turned characters with grab games/good combo set ups only super relevant at early-mid percent into "oh now they still work at kill percent without the rest of the cast compensated" SUPER BALANCED.

Like Brawl, match ups ratios are being based off the stupidity of rewards for a lot of characters.
Why is Mario and Luigi going even or potentially beating Marth? Because Marth will take about 4x as much damage per mistake than Luigi will, and Luigi will get the kill out of it.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Yo, Luigi's U-smash is stronger than Mario's. It's just it's wierd angle makes it harder to kill (Diagonally rather than straight up).

I do believe Luigi slides father when doing a sliding U-smash sir, because traction. But oh well, he is slower.
luigi does its because of mario's speed that its more usefull like i said.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Awesome, we're talking about Falco. Now's my chance.

What are your thoughts on the Falco vs. R.O.B. MU? I think R.O.B. loses like 40/60, maybe 35/65 because Falco's close quarters moves beat out all of R.O.B.s. It's easy for Falco to zone R.O.B. out with Reflector and R.O.B. is forced to play Falco's game because on top of being able to keep R.O.B. out of Falco's face, Reflector nullifies R.O.B.'s lasers and Gyro. Off-stage isn't much better, actually I'd say it's a bit worse because b-air, f-air, and even d-air can easily snag R.O.B.'s sitting duck recovery. Acting out of Burner is an option, but if Falco properly positions himself and times his aerials correctly (which isn't difficult since R.O.B. moving out of burner can be telegraphed), he can still keep R.O.B. away from the stage. This MU is helpless when I play it; I'm being generous with 35/65 lol.

I bring this up because I've lost badly to every single Falco I've played online, and in every game, I wasn't even able to take off a single stock or lay on more than 70% in damage.

This question specifically goes to @ Ffamran Ffamran .

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

What are your thoughts on the Falco vs. R.O.B. MU? I think R.O.B. loses like 40/60, maybe 35/65 because Falco's close quarters moves beat out all of R.O.B.s. It's easy for Falco to zone R.O.B. out with Reflector and R.O.B. is forced to play Falco's game because on top of being able to keep R.O.B. out of Falco's face, Reflector nullifies R.O.B.'s lasers and Gyro. Off-stage isn't much better, actually I'd say it's a bit worse because b-air, f-air, and even d-air can easily snag R.O.B.'s sitting duck recovery. Acting out of Burner is an option, but if Falco properly positions himself and times his aerials correctly (which isn't difficult since R.O.B. moving out of burner can be telegraphed), he can still keep R.O.B. away from the stage. This MU is helpless when I play it; I'm being generous with 35/65 lol.

I bring this up because I've lost badly to every single Falco I've played online, and in every game, I wasn't even able to take off a single stock or lay on more than 70% in damage.

thats mostly because falco is not a particular popular character online. most of them know what there doing in comparison to say the fox's out there.
also i don't think falco curve stomps anyone that bad. i would say the mu is closer to 55-45 or somthing. falco can still be conditioned to use his reflector and be punished for it. ROB can take advantage of that.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
thats mostly because falco is not a particular popular character online. most of them know what there doing in comparison to say the fox's out there.
also i don't think falco curve stomps anyone that bad. i would say the mu is closer to 55-45 or somthing. falco can still be conditioned to use his reflector and be punished for it. ROB can take advantage of that.
R.O.B. can't reach far enough with any of his standard moves to punish, aside from perfectly-timed dash attacks or Gyro/Laser. The latter is dangerous because Falco's Reflector's... reflectorbox? Yeah, reflectorbox lasts a deceptive while and the punishment window is extremely small; Falco could easily use it again to keep out DA or whatever projectile I want to throw at him.

Falco really shines light on R.O.B.'s subpar range.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
R.O.B. can't reach far enough with any of his standard moves to punish, aside from perfectly-timed dash attacks or Gyro/Laser. The latter is dangerous because Falco's Reflector's... reflectorbox? Yeah, reflectorbox lasts a deceptive while and the punishment window is extremely small; Falco could easily use it again to keep out DA or whatever projectile I want to throw at him.

Falco really shines light on R.O.B.'s subpar range.
The reflect window is huge (got to be at least 90% coverage), but its just a single hit. There is no way its safe on shield. Its also vulnerable from below so you can still trap his landing with projectiles.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I main DHD, and I'm having issues with Links/Toon Links outcamping me. The boomerang dictates the matchup, and it literally walls everything DHD has. It's impossible for me to find an opening to approach what with the terrible landing lag on all of DHD's moves.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I main DHD, and I'm having issues with Links/Toon Links outcamping me. The boomerang dictates the matchup, and it literally walls everything DHD has. It's impossible for me to find an opening to approach what with the terrible landing lag on all of DHD's moves.
First off, are you making sure your rotating between every projectile Duck Hunt has?
Second, are you taking advantage of the main issue with the boomerang, which is that only one can be out at a time?

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
First off, are you making sure your rotating between every projectile Duck Hunt has?
Second, are you taking advantage of the main issue with the boomerang, which is that only one can be out at a time?
1. Yes, I use every projectile available. I usually throw the disc first if they're within range, then back up and put a can out. I'll use downb to shield/initiate an attack. I like to use it so opponents jump over it, which gives me an easy grab.
2. No, this is my issue. How do I deal with the boomerang? It breaks the disc, makes the can pretty much useless, and kills the gunman.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
1. Yes, I use every projectile available. I usually throw the disc first if they're within range, then back up and put a can out. I'll use downb to shield/initiate an attack. I like to use it so opponents jump over it, which gives me an easy grab.
2. No, this is my issue. How do I deal with the boomerang? It breaks the disc, makes the can pretty much useless, and kills the gunman.
Dh trio isn't based around just projectiles he has solid arials and a good grab game if you can approach the links you can beat them and the can can avoid the boomerang by making it jump by pressing B

Edit: I use the gunman to stop projectiles from hitting me when I play DH

Last edited:

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Dh trio isn't based around just projectiles he has solid arials and a good grab game if you can approach the links you can beat them and the can can avoid the boomerang by making it jump by pressing B

Edit: I use the gunman to stop projectiles from hitting me when I play DH
Right I mentioned in an earlier post that it's hard for me to approach because of the miserable landing lag on his moves. It's easier to approach when your projectiles aren't getting walled.

NNID
Budget_Player
This is my (opinionated) list on the top 4 best characters in SSB4 for Wii U/3DS.

:4jigglypuff:Jigglypuff

:4yoshi:Yoshi
:4lucario:Lucario
:4sheik:Sheik
You know, there's all sorts of ways I could respond to this. But I won't. Instead, I'll just say three things.

Firstly, you have a long way to go in learning about competitive smash before you should be talking about tiers. The only legitimately top-4 character on here is Sheik; Jigglypuff isn't even a good character.

Secondly:

Sheik will be referred to as a female, although her gender is still not certain.
She's a chick. Seriously. This is not news.

Thirdly:
:4littlemac:Little Mac
+ Quick, strong attacks
+ Can KO opponents at low percentages
+ Has a KO move when meeting certain circumstances
- Laughable recovery
- Can't create many combos
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*wheeze* *puff*

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, you should spend some time playing against others. Little Mac is awful.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Right I mentioned in an earlier post that it's hard for me to approach because of the miserable landing lag on his moves. It's easier to approach when your projectiles aren't getting walled.
You can also spot dodge and link will be tougher because of his arrows being stronger and faster than tinks,

Secondly:
I agree on this I don't know why people call shiek a he there's a reason why in melee and brawl zelda could transform to sheik and even in the zelda games when there's a shiek it's zelda or someone from the castle and they end up being female and it's been confirmed

Last edited by a moderator:

etecoon

Smash Hero

*wheeze* *puff*

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, you should spend some time playing against others. Little Mac is awful.
I wouldn't go to top 5 with him or anything, but Little Mac is a legit glass canon that can destroy people badly if he doesn't get wrecked first, not awful by any stretch of the imagination unless we're already at "everyone that isn't Diddy/Sheik is bad"

I agree on this I don't know why people call shiek a he there's a reason why in melee and brawl zelda could transform to sheik and even in the zelda games when there's a shiek it's zelda or someone from the castle and they end up being female and it's been confirmed
I think there was a manga that stated that she used magic to actually become male. After the Metroid manga became the basis for the newer Metroid games and that series went straight to hell, I'm inclined to ignore anything that isn't from the actual games and I hope that Nintendo also doesn't allow spinoff material to influence them so much in the future

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I just call Sheik Sheik and don't refer to a gender pronoun because Japanese wording and because why not. Either way any tournament level Sheik would tear me apart.

Btw Sheik is still insanely good in customs right? Sheik didn't get many benefits and giant wind boxes have appeared but the combos and stage control is still there I would assume.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Sheik is a she, I see no lack of distinction. Not sure how there can be people who don't know her gender by now. It's like still being shocked that Samus is a woman, just because it was a twist reveal once.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I have no idea since I fought maybe 3 ROBs ever online. It might just be ROB's hurtboxes and Falco's frame data that allow Falco to rack up a ton of damage and exploit a lot of things.

Another thing is that both of them are easily meteored by the other because of how their recoveries go, but ROB has it harder since he can run out of fuel. The most recent ROB I fought was probably by accident since this dude kept picking characters and spamming and just waiting to grab and follow up before doing much. With ROB, it was mostly camp with Gyro and laser and use Rotor Arms if I got close. Anyway, I digress, but I remember getting him off stage and continually hitting him back or he moved back out of fear of getting hit. He ran out of fuel and that was the end of the game.

On the flip side, ROB's Dair has an insane hitbox. So, if you see Falco off stage and recovering low, just follow and Dair before Fire Bird activates. Or stage spike him.

Sorry, I don't have more since Falco, ROB, Meta Knight, Charizard, Palutena, and even Sheik, Rosalina, and Diddy are rare fights for me. It's mostly Captain Falcons, Foxes, Luigis, Links, Toon Links, and Little Macs.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I wouldn't go to top 5 with him or anything, but Little Mac is a legit glass canon that can destroy people badly if he doesn't get wrecked first, not awful by any stretch of the imagination unless we're already at "everyone that isn't Diddy/Sheik is bad"
Depends on your perspective.

Under the right circumstances, Little Mac is a destructive force, but he is vastly screwed over by stage selection.

If someone were willing enough to get percent lead and platform camp at Battlefield or even worse, Duck Hunt, it's pretty much game over for Little Mac. We haven't seen it yet because no one wants to do that (and there are barely any competitive Little Mac mains), but it's there and it really hurts him.

But until players feel compelled to do this, Little Mac is a very strong character with very polarizing match-ups.

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
You know, there's all sorts of ways I could respond to this. But I won't. Instead, I'll just say three things.

Firstly, you have a long way to go in learning about competitive smash before you should be talking about tiers. The only legitimately top-4 character on here is Sheik; Jigglypuff isn't even a good character.

Secondly:

Thirdly:

*wheeze* *puff*

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

To clarify, I have been playing Smash competitively for five years. Sure, my opinions may not compare to yours, but don't just assume I'm inexperienced due to this. To keep things simple, any character's performance can be maximized in battle if used correctly and efficiently, so please note that I clearly stated that this was not a tier list, and merely an opinionated list.

About Sheik's sex, her gender has been controversial in America due to the fact that Zelda allegedly turning into a male roused the topic of transgender. I have actually researched this, and in America, she is portrayed as a female. In other countries, it's not the same, as she is depicted as a man. In order to avoid conflict on the forums, I decided to refer to her as a female. This was not meant to be argued with, in fact, it's the complete opposite of what I was trying to achieve.

Lastly, Little Mac has horrible recovery, I know. Heck, he could fall of his bed in the morning and not be able to get back up. But his outrageous speed paired with his attacks make him powerful (not to mention his counter). In Omega stages, he can easily kill opponents as long as he plays it safe and remains toward the center of the stage to avoid characters with excellent aerial attacks.

Again, don't always jump to conclusions without evidence of someone you don't know. If you have any other points you'd like to share, always feel free to reply to this post.

NNID
Budget_Player
He would be a legit glass cannon if his main weakness was his recovery. But it isn't. He also has no aerials and no way to safely poke above him. His ground game is amazing, but if you lose the lead (which can easily happen given how glassy he is), and your opponent is willing to play it campy, good luck ever getting it back. No aerials and no recovery is just too much. And it's not like his ground game is somehow ridiculous. It really isn't. If you want to discount all aerials, sure, it's the best in the game, but it's not realistic to consider a ground game in a vacuum without mentioning SH aerials and the like, and in that regards, he's not even that impressive.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Little Mac is a counterpick. A strong counterpick, but still a counterpick. He has borderline free match-ups, and borderline unwinnable ones. For someone who spends so much time in the middle of the stage he doesn't quite believe in a "middle ground," as it were. If you are stage selecting at the time, you can pick into him pretty confidently because the only camping games besides his doomsday match-ups that ruin him all come from stage selection.

But I mean he's not bad. Someone who can beat Diddy's side-B, banana, and dash options by uh... holding jab... has a starting point.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The reflect window is huge (got to be at least 90% coverage), but its just a single hit. There is no way its safe on shield. Its also vulnerable from below so you can still trap his landing with projectiles.
Falco's Reflector can't reflect from the bottom, above, and sort of his back. Right when the move is activated, it has a tiny window for it to reflect behind him.

There are two reasons why I would Reflector: spacing and reflecting. Because of its speed and range, Reflector is a good way to interrupt someone dashing in to knock them back, stop their momentum, and allow Falco to figure out some options. The chance to trip is nice too. Or I could just run in and instead of using Dash Attack, use Reflector instead. So, it's like a mix up game for that. Reflector can follow up out of Ftilt or this weird combo of 3 spaced Dtilts and Reflector at low percents. For reflecting, I'm not going to use it all the time since it would be predictable. Either I'll take the hits or shield them and save Reflector for those moments like I know this Lucario uses Aura Sphere a lot and fishes for kills with them. Well, why not wait until he's desperate and use Reflector at pointblank? End, set, match.

Anyway, to exploit it, you can condition Falco to not use Reflector by punishing him constantly for it or condition him to use Reflector so you can punish. Another thing is after seeing Abadango's Pac-Man and NinjaLink's Mega Man is z-dropping. ROB can sort of z-drop Gyro and it would be a good way to punish a Reflector-happy (feet) Falco. The only issue is how to get Gyro in hand.

@ Blue Ninjakoopa Blue Ninjakoopa , I might start the ROB MU discussion next week since I don't have any other requests besides Lucario, Rosalina, and Palutena in that order. So far, Peach's MU discussion hasn't been going great since one, it's the weekend and people have lives outside of Smashboards, and two, Peach is kind of rare and demands technical skill to master her. Meanwhile the Foxes are probably hibernating for the winter. Do real foxes hibernate? :p

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
His ground game IS ridiculous. It's beyond ********. He is by no means an amazing character.

But his ground game is second to NO ONE.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Little Mac is the ultimate competitive character because he's at his best when his opponents are Fox only, there are no items, and he's fighting on Final Destination. :troll:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
His ground game IS ridiculous. It's beyond ********. He is by no means an amazing character.

But his ground game is second to NO ONE.
Except Sheik exists and has needles and a strong grab and a better DA than Little Mac. Pre-patch I would agree his ground game was second to nobody before he got nerfed. I'm pretty certain they nerfed his F-tilt range in particular, making his ground game actually a lot less safe than before.

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
You could probably sum this up as "nobody really knows what they are talking about" ( in terms of tiers/ match up charts). Everybody underated Luigi when the game first came out. Even moreso with Olimar. These dudes where placed near the bottom of most tier lists, a few months back. No ONE person can tell (out of the 51 characters) who is better than whom, since everyone has bias/ hasn't seen the most of every character/ fights people at different skill levels/ can't comprehend the complexity of creating match up charts. Those match ups don't make any sense (most notably the Jiggilypuff ones), and I seriously doubt the community can accurately picture realistic MU charts.

Just go back a few hundred pages, and you'll see how the Mario bros and DK and Olimar and Diddy etc have changed in public opinion. Nobody can predict the future, and underating characters will just result in an other sleeper character beating up everyone at a major tournament- like Dabuz did with Olimar.

Last month people brought up ROB and Ganondorf, and some dude said the MU was in Ganon's favor because ROB can't kill nor bring up damage, can be juggled, and his projectiles can be shielded. This dude has a bit of merit in the community, so the argument was called at that- there wasn't any point in arguing if nobody was willing to back me up in the "ROB has kill moves and his projectiles are good" argument. I would just be repeating myself if continued to argue. There are things that I have done that I haven't really seen ROB mains do (the ROBs I have seen don't gyro snipe). (The Ikes I have seen have never done a pummel-> grab release-> jab combo (which might be an interesting litte thing to test)). But the dude who was arguing for Ganon, despite knowing very little about either character, said that Ganon won the fight. Yes- Ganon (in the right hands) can do some great things. My little brother mains Ganon, and I have had my fair share of losses against him (as my main ROB, perhaps not nearly that many). But I am thoroughly convinced that this guy didn't know what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure nobody here knows what they are talking about.
If that man thought ROB didn't have options against Ganon he was out of his mind. Z released gyro aerials, spacing out with gyro in general and as you said gyro and laser sniping/gimping. ROB is easily spiked but the same is true for ROBs spike against Ganons recovery.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
How is Meta Knight vs. Jigglypuff? Are Meta Knight's disjoints, stronger ground game, good but comparatively less good aerial mobility, and ability to KO early off the top with Up B enough to overcome Jigg's aerial prowess?

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
You could probably sum this up as "nobody really knows what they are talking about" ( in terms of tiers/ match up charts). Everybody underated Luigi when the game first came out. Even moreso with Olimar. These dudes where placed near the bottom of most tier lists, a few months back. No ONE person can tell (out of the 51 characters) who is better than whom, since everyone has bias/ hasn't seen the most of every character/ fights people at different skill levels/ can't comprehend the complexity of creating match up charts. Those match ups don't make any sense (most notably the Jiggilypuff ones), and I seriously doubt the community can accurately picture realistic MU charts.

Just go back a few hundred pages, and you'll see how the Mario bros and DK and Olimar and Diddy etc have changed in public opinion. Nobody can predict the future, and underating characters will just result in an other sleeper character beating up everyone at a major tournament- like Dabuz did with Olimar.

Last month people brought up ROB and Ganondorf, and some dude said the MU was in Ganon's favor because ROB can't kill nor bring up damage, can be juggled, and his projectiles can be shielded. This dude has a bit of merit in the community, so the argument was called at that- there wasn't any point in arguing if nobody was willing to back me up in the "ROB has kill moves and his projectiles are good" argument. I would just be repeating myself if continued to argue. There are things that I have done that I haven't really seen ROB mains do (the ROBs I have seen don't gyro snipe). (The Ikes I have seen have never done a pummel-> grab release-> jab combo (which might be an interesting litte thing to test)). But the dude who was arguing for Ganon, despite knowing very little about either character, said that Ganon won the fight. Yes- Ganon (in the right hands) can do some great things. My little brother mains Ganon, and I have had my fair share of losses against him (as my main ROB, perhaps not nearly that many). But I am thoroughly convinced that this guy didn't know what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure nobody here knows what they are talking about.
That's kind of why we have these threads. You literally get to take everyone's fragmented corner of the universe that they inhabit (competitive mains of lesser known characters, generally good player, etc) and use the logically sound parts of their ramblings to piece together a bigger, stronger picture.

A large scale tier list discussion is kind of built on the idea that most of us know very little of what we're talking about; we know our corner of the world; we know the character we have a time and lab in and not much else. By filtering our opinions, skimming our actual, experience-based knowledge out of the pot, and slowing meshing what you have leftover together, you begin to ultimately, as a community, form a more complete picture.

It's where the value of discussion even comes from. We, the community members, are supplying both the raw material and acting as a strainer/filter (checking each other on our lack of knowledge, filling in the gaps of others, using what we KNOW to cancel out the bias of others) to generate an actual finished product.

It's a long-term system that typically only shows results worth a damn around the 1.5 to 2 year mark for any conventional fighting game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If that man thought ROB didn't have options against Ganon he was out of his mind. Z released gyro aerials, spacing out with gyro in general and as you said gyro and laser sniping/gimping. ROB is easily spiked but the same is true for ROBs spike against Ganons recovery.
Ganon wins vs ROB 55/45 for clarification. Ganon's favorable matchups are never drastically in his favor given he has a lot of counterplay by design, however he does well against characters who leave him clear windows to play his midrange game.

Also neither character should be spiking each other. What's more important is that Ganondorf gets a lot more reward for the midrange spacing game and juggles. ROB's projectiles are generally speaking only really good in situations where he's capitalizing. Lasers are really only good for punishes or juggles, and similarly most of ROB's gyro shenanigans only work in situations where his opponent isn't in a position to stop him from setting up. However the reward ROB gets from those things is overall less than what Ganon gets from D-tilt/N-air pokes, U-air juggles, and Flame Choke reads.

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Playing Mac has ZERO room for error. The reward is great but seriously, you can steal stocks as quickly as people can steal them back. Godlike frame data and super armor on the ground is deadly if you're the kind of person that never makes mistakes ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom