• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is a she, I see no lack of distinction. Not sure how there can be people who don't know her gender by now. It's like still being shocked that Samus is a woman, just because it was a twist reveal once.
Samus is a woman?!?! What!?

Anyways, of course we don't know everything about the game yet, that's why we're talking about it and sharing our views, to learn more. Not discussing things certainly isn't going to help us! And mostly everyone is acknowledging that these are opinions and not facts (mostly)

Furthermore, of course things will change as the meta develops more, but we can't discuss those changes until they happen. So even if Peach or WFT is secretly the best on the roster, as of now they are not winning anything and really can't be considered 'top tier' until they do.

If you know something that we don't though, please share it! Then more people can test it out and everyone benifits! It's why we have these discussions.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Facepalms

Anyway what do guys rate a matchup of toon link vs. Meta k, or marth, I don't find many metas online so I don't know the matchup verry well and when I fight a marth im using someone else and then they switch characters

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth vs an sword wielder or any footsie char is even.

For reasons stated before. If you need me to reiterate please ask.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Facepalms
That joke didn't even go over your head, it hit you in your head so hard that you couldn't see it and you're facepalming in response to the pain the joke gave you.

Marth vs Toon Link is about even. Toon Link's projectiles are annoying for Marth, but Marth can utilize the time to set them up by SH AD and then just closing the distance. Marth may have troubles hitting you but if he can land those f-airs then you better get stage control fast or you will lose because you will be frame trapped into an f-smash or shield breaker sometime because you're off-stage. If you can dodge / he whiffs any aerials then it's your time to grab him and send him off-stage so you can get some zoning control again.

I hope I'm not over-simplifying things.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz

Anyways, of course we don't know everything about the game yet, that's why we're talking about it and sharing our views, to learn more. Not discussing things certainly isn't going to help us! And mostly everyone is acknowledging that these are opinions and not facts (mostly)

Furthermore, of course things will change as the meta develops more, but we can't discuss those changes until they happen. So even if Peach or WFT is secretly the best on the roster, as of now they are not winning anything and really can't be considered 'top tier' until they do.

If you know something that we don't though, please share it! Then more people can test it out and everyone benifits! It's why we have these discussions.
Peach won't be the best in the roster ever. She'll always lose terribly to at least a 2-3 of the top tier and have some iffy match ups against characters who can overwhelm her before she gets her game going.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I think Sakurai managed to ensure still that Marth is a fundamentals character first and foremost, like Mario. Both characters don't reallyy have ways to screw over certain characters or archetypes, as their movesets and abilities are so balanced in term of risk-v-reward. Marth got a shorter end of the stick than he's used to, but is still technically 'balanced' (just much easier to bait and punish, and less able to wall with whiffed attacks). Mario is the same.

So, to win against Marth, you're going to have to outplay them. He's not really a character with exploitable shortcomings, but also not a character that can really fully exploit holes in other characters (Marth has many good sword characters to go up against now - he doesn't have the near-exclusive benefit of being the only good character with a long sword in Smash 4, unlike Melee).

Perhaps Marth may be underwhelming, but that doesn't mean he can't be played to win dependably once people master him. A bad Marth isn't scary, which isn't the case for many other characters with a more welcoming learning curve. We've seen this from Mario - another fundamentals-based character. I'd argue Falco would be in the same situation if he at least had run speed or aerial mobility on his side (which he doesn't, which both Marth and Mario do have in spades which helps them stay solid). His shortcomings keep Falco from truly being as dependable, but he does have benefits in other areas that he can exploit.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think Sakurai managed to ensure still that Marth is a fundamentals character first and foremost, like Mario. Both characters don't reallyy have ways to screw over certain characters or archetypes, as their movesets and abilities are so balanced in term of risk-v-reward. Marth got a shorter end of the stick than he's used to, but is still technically 'balanced' (just much easier to bait and punish, and less able to wall with whiffed attacks). Mario is the same.

So, to win against Marth, you're going to have to outplay them. He's not really a character with exploitable shortcomings, but also not a character that can really fully exploit holes in other characters (Marth has many good sword characters to go up against now - he doesn't have the near-exclusive benefit of being the only good character with a long sword in Smash 4, unlike Melee).

Perhaps Marth may be underwhelming, but that doesn't mean he can't be played to win dependably once people master him. A bad Marth isn't scary, which isn't the case for many other characters with a more welcoming learning curve. We've seen this from Mario - another fundamentals-based character. I'd argue Falco would be in the same situation if he at least had run speed or aerial mobility on his side (which he doesn't, which both Marth and Mario do have in spades which helps them stay solid). His shortcomings keep Falco from truly being as dependable, but he does have benefits in other areas that he can exploit.
Did Falco become slower in SSB4? I checked the wiki and he was faster than Ike and just under Samus in Brawl, but Samus remains faster by like 4-5 positions and Ike's faster than Falco now. I think Falco did get slower since he felt faster in Brawl, but that might be because Brawl had less characters which isn't much since Brawl had 40 if you consider Sheik, Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur separate to Zelda and the Pokémon Trainer while SSB4 has like 52 with 1 more coming, Mewtwo.

Why he's slow as sin in everything, but frame data, walking speed, and fall speed is a question I don't know. Same thing with Wolf. Have you seen a wolf run up to you before it mauls you and rips your throat out? Yeah, wolves aren't slow. At least Wolf had good air speed...

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth's problem is literally his reward for actually making the right decision. I do what I'm supposed to do and I get 10%. Diddy does what he's supposed to do and gets 30% or a kill.

Marth is NOT balanced in terms of risk vs reward. That's the crux of the issue. I space a perfect tipper fair and get no follow-up and I only get 10%. This is not a balanced risk v reward ratio. I get a grab and I do maybe 15% with a frame perfect Uair after a d-throw. Sheik can get around 25% or more depending on her opponent. Let's not talk about Diddy and ZSS. Forget about actual optimal play.

That's it in a nutshell.

Intelligent Marth doesn't have anything on intelligent *insert any char with good reward here* I can body a Mario for half his stock and he gets in once and racks up over 30%.

Falco is the opposite. His neutral is lacking a bit, but his reward for making the right play is much greater. His combos are scary.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Marth's problem is literally his reward for actually making the right decision. I do what I'm supposed to do and I get 10%. Diddy does what he's supposed to do and gets 30% or a kill.

Marth is NOT balanced in terms of risk vs reward. That's the crux of the issue. I space a perfect tipper fair and get no follow-up and I only get 10%. This is not a balanced risk v reward ratio. I get a grab and I do maybe 15% with a frame perfect Uair after a d-throw. Sheik can get around 25% or more depending on her opponent. Let's not talk about Diddy and ZSS. Forget about actual optimal play.

That's it in a nutshell.

Intelligent Marth doesn't have anything on intelligent *insert any char with good reward here* I can body a Mario for half his stock and he gets in once and racks up over 30%.

Falco is the opposite. His neutral is lacking a bit, but his reward for making the right play is much greater. His combos are scary.
Good points, I admit Marth does lack reward for fair. He has to do for other uptions like uair-utilt or SHAD nair dsmash/grab etc. It's more awkward but the reward is there. But I definitely agree, Falco's reward (when handled properly) is what keeps him afloat and makes up for his weaknesses - at least is designed to. Whether it actually does we've yet to find out for sure.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

That's it in a nutshell.

Intelligent Marth doesn't have anything on intelligent *insert any top tier here*

Doesn't Marth benefit from rage much more than other people? Or is that just his tipper Side Smash and U-throw? It might just be the commentators saying things on the fly, but I keep hearing how Marth is a beast with rage whenever a Marth is being played.

Falco benefits from rage as well since his already strong knockback just gets stronger. They're one of those characters who benefit from good play with a ton of damage sort of like Lucario, Ganondorf, and Bowser? Meanwhile, Sheik, and I think Captain Falcon might have issues with range since low knockback means they can combo more, but high knockback might mean they can't follow up despite their good mobility.

Yeah, beating a dead monkey, but Diddy's rewards and even screw ups are annoying. Used the wrong move? Side Smash that comes out at like frame 5. Who? WHO?! Who thought it was a good idea to give someone the fastest Smashes and aerials, large hitboxes, and raw power like that? Seriously? What kind of testing was this? Meanwhile Samus and Kirby were considered the "best" characters. Even in doubles and free-for-all, I don't see that. Sure, you can land that "clutch" Charge Shot from across the stage as your partner sets up things or Kirby can Stone someone who was distracted while getting beat up by Fox.

Sort of the same goes to Rosalina who I just noticed - I don't play as or fight her much and I don't watch a lot of her videos - has an insane Uair and Dair. The range and KO potentials are just crazy. This might just me being a Falco player who can't move through the air like Falco has some freaking parachute attached to him that slows his air mobility like molasses. I did get killed by a Sonic while playing as both Fox and Falco when he used Spin Dash, launched me, double jumped, Spring Jumped, and used Uair right below the blast zone. I've never seen that used before except for 6wX's Sonic doing it once and getting punished against Dabuz's Rosalina because he hit Luma instead of Rosalina, but this dude did it consistently, but landed only two kills with it: once when I didn't know that was possible and two, he followed my DI. Man, I wished I saved that replay since it seems like a good setup for Sonic and I love watching 6wX's Sonic.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth with rage is very scary. He can kill just about anyone around 50% at/or about the center of FD with a decent amount of rage and a fresh tipper F-smash.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I would think Marth has better footsies than other characters (especially swords) due to his high walking speed and long initial dash. His damage reward isn't great (unless spaced fsmash is your reward) but positional advantage is very good for Marth. More so than Diddy, for example.

After realizing how Marcina's initial dash can be used to foxtrot back and forth like melee dash dancing, it makes a lot more sense why their dash attack is bad (but stutter step fsmash/pivot ftilt is good). Not to step on those who main them, but I don't see that being used very much and it's a very unique trait (only shared by captain falcon I think).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I have been sword to secrecy about the Marcina movement metagame. But @ Locke 06 Locke 06 you are correct. Just know there is at least one master swordsman of the house of Ylisse that's working hard to put all those options together.

Also keep in mind the top chars dont give a damn about Marcinas movement. They have the tools to shut that stuff down. It works best on chars that MUST play footsies.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I have been sword to secrecy about the Marcina movement metagame. But @ Locke 06 Locke 06 you are correct. Just know there is at least one master swordsman of the house of Ylisse that's working hard to put all those options together.
... Whoops. Found this out like... 4 days ago and have fallen back in love with the character. Glad to see that it's being developed.

I have one question though... Can you perfect pivot out of a foxtrot? I haven't tested mostly because I am bad at perfect pivoting. Because if you can. Lol Marth.

Edit: yeah. It works only on footsie characters. But it's something. When you said Marth goes even with them, I was surprised because of Marth's movement.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Marth with rage is very scary. He can kill just about anyone around 50% at/or about the center of FD with a decent amount of rage and a fresh tipper F-smash.

Holy Naga! I never played Shadow Dragon and seeing Marth, you wouldn't think he'd get ****** off that easily. Maybe it's all that pent up rage of people thinking he was a lady. Or the shipping. He's probably really angry about the whole MarthXRoy thing. :p

Rage... Rage is really something that should be talked about and not dismissed or considered "bad". It rewards players who can survive at ludicrous percents and it gives players who are in a tight situation a chance to come back. If I met a Marth and I couldn't kill him at around 130%, then I am screwed. I need to kill him. NOW.

This reminds me of a recent fight of Bowser vs. Toon Link. If I remember correctly, then one of the commentators mentioned that Bowser getting damaged and not killed is very dangerous. Same thing with Ganondorf, DK?, and Marth. If they're in the upper 100% and they're not dead, then you are definitely doing something wrong since one hit will probably take your stock each time you come back.
Some good Falco play by someone named "Kato". More proof that Falco is the best at phasing through projectiles (Warning: Absolutely dreadful, nails-on-chalkboard commentary. I suggest muting it and putting on some Final Fantasy boss music):

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
A tipper shield breaker killed me once at 35% >.>
Marth's edgeguard game is also quite incredible, which is where I usually get bopped by good Marths. Combine this with a really good counter (it has it's uses, don't even deny it XD), mobility (esp. with foxtrot + perfect pivot f-tilts), Marth has a lot going for him. Maybe he isn't Melee Marth, or Brawl Marth, but I think he's a bit underplayed just because he was so dominant before. If he was F tier in Melee and Brawl, I think people would use him a lot more even if he were exactly the same in this game. Also, Marth's skill cap is higher than most people think.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The elite movement of Marcina requires mastery of perfect pivot out of dance trot. Yes they can do it.

Also...SH sourspot Uair into perfect pivot tipper f-smash. lolz. True combo even at kill percents. DI doesn't matter. High risk for high reward.

As for Marcinas skill cap, thats the issue. Thier skill cap is simply TOO high. I been labbing hard with them and its like...ok Sheik can do alot of their movement stuff just by fox trotting back and forth. Her foxtrot is very quick and she enters her full run very fast letting her shield soon. She doesnt commit. Marcina requires perfect execution and the reward is not there. It's...frustrating.

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
This reminds me of a recent fight of Bowser vs. Toon Link. If I remember correctly, then one of the commentators mentioned that Bowser getting damaged and not killed is very dangerous. Same thing with Ganondorf, DK?, and Marth. If they're in the upper 100% and they're not dead, then you are definitely doing something wrong since one hit will probably take your stock each time you come back.
This is literally the reason why I now use DK more than Falcon. They play really similarity, but rage is an incredibly game-changing feature for someone like DK. Doesn't necessarily make him high tier, but it's a real thing and definitely makes people wonder how the hell that U-air killed at 60%.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The elite movement of Marcina requires mastery of perfect pivot out of dance trot. Yes they can do it.

Also...SH sourspot Uair into perfect pivot tipper f-smash. lolz. True combo even at kill percents. DI doesn't matter. High risk for high reward.

As for Marcinas skill cap, thats the issue. Thier skill cap is simply TOO high. I been labbing hard with them and its like...ok Sheik can do alot of their movement stuff just by fox trotting back and forth. Her foxtrot is very quick and she enters her full run very fast letting her shield soon. She doesnt commit. Marcina requires perfect execution and the reward is not there. It's...frustrating.
Marth was always a technical character, but is he more technical now in SSB4? Lucina and Roy are under the same boat since they're clones of Marth. Then there's Peach who was technical since her debut as well and now we have Shulk with his Monado Arts and Pac-Man with his Bonus Fruit. I want to add Greninja, Mega Man, and the Villager to that list as well. Ganondorf and Bowser are more punishers who end matches with reads. I'm not sure about DK and Charizard, though since I don't play them nor watch or fight enough of them.

Y'know what's funny? Wasn't Lucina having no tippers supposed to make her more beginner-friendly, but now she's even more difficult to use than Marth because of her lack of shield stun and Marth and her overall issues? Hell, I'd say that if Roy was in this game and tweaked with the engine, he might even be more easier to use like Marth than Lucina.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
His movement makes him technically intensive. It feels like he is dancing once you start to get his flow. It's very very fun if nothing else. But man its alot of work. I been training for about 2 to 3 hours each day just movement techniques its madness.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Well, it's been less than half a year since the game came out. Mastery isn't something that comes easy or quickly often.

As for dash>shield, which Mega Man is very good at and it always takes me a while to get used to how long Marcina's is, #1 walkers are #1 for a reason (why captain falcon's movement is not as good).

I've been playing Lucina lately because she is Marth on hard mode. However, the lack of hitstun multipliers makes her game flow more freely which feels good. I'm also not fishing for tippers (which is completely a mindset issue), so Lucina is beginner friendly in a way. EL is right, it feels like dancing. (Online lag though is maddening. And as someone who plays mainly online, I can't use Lucina if the connection isn't decent. Even then, I'm much better with her offline).

Mega is a technical character but not nearly like Marcina or Peach. Pellets aren't technically too demanding (more awkward) and z-drops/item stuff is similarly awkward not demanding. What's more demanding is reading and MU knowledge for punishing (he punishes hard, but if you miss you get a hard punish).

DK isn't technical except for a frame strict throw combo (cargo utoss>jump>uair), landing (lol heavies), and turnaround/B-reverse/wavebounced giant punch and hand slaps.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I guess that's something I could do in the lab.

Marcina foxtrot/p-pivot for dayz.

Though p-pivot is ez mode (Not actually too hard imo)

Also, I really like the mentality switch between Marth and Lucina, maybe I'll actually consider Lucina as my main and Marth as my secondary.

Like, I actually play so much differently.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Well, it's been less than half a year since the game came out. Mastery isn't something that comes easy or quickly often.

As for dash>shield, which Mega Man is very good at and it always takes me a while to get used to how long Marcina's is, #1 walkers are #1 for a reason (why captain falcon's movement is not as good).

I've been playing Lucina lately because she is Marth on hard mode. However, the lack of hitstun multipliers makes her game flow more freely which feels good. I'm also not fishing for tippers (which is completely a mindset issue), so Lucina is beginner friendly in a way. EL is right, it feels like dancing. (Online lag though is maddening. And as someone who plays mainly online, I can't use Lucina if the connection isn't decent. Even then, I'm much better with her offline).

Mega is a technical character but not nearly like Marcina or Peach. Pellets aren't technically too demanding (more awkward) and z-drops/item stuff is similarly awkward not demanding. What's more demanding is reading and MU knowledge for punishing (he punishes hard, but if you miss you get a hard punish).

DK isn't technical except for a frame strict throw combo (cargo utoss>jump>uair), landing (lol heavies), and turnaround/B-reverse/wavebounced giant punch and hand slaps.
I actually like that awkwardness when it comes to Mega Man. A lot of the process of his learning his character is acknowledging that he'll always have distinct weaknesses due to his kit, that you can only do so much with technical prowess in the end, and that success comes from successful reads and matchup knowledge.

DK's air speed is always surprising to me. He doesn't even LOOK like he's moving that quickly even though he's clearly doing so, and it might be what allows him to escape juggles a bit more easily. One thing I've noticed with DK though is that he feels very difficult to maneuver in the sense that, once you go in a certain direction be it on the ground or in the air, it's hard to just turn around. It makes for a somewhat uncontrollable character.

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
It's a small shock how exhausting Marth can be with his design in mind. Then again, he's left with no choice but to demand technical expertise after getting his game mauled from previous iterations. But like Emblem Lord pointed out, once you're up against a character that really doesn't give a crap about footsies it feels like Marth hits a wall no options in his movement will get you over. Shiek can basically stand there with needles all day and throw out a barrage of lagless moves when desired, Diddy is Diddy, Sonic is so fast on everything he'll punish basically anything we can do, ZSS (oh god Zero Suit) is possibly Marth's worst matchup with her being able to keep us at a comfortable distance, kill early, and mock our silly blade with her dominatrix whip... And so on. I don't think Marth can get anywhere big without a solid secondary to back up some of those terrible top character matchups.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Like Wizard's Dropkick literally doubles how far Ganondorf can recover off-stage. Without this move Ganon often dies to non-gimps off-stage just because his recovery doesn't go far enough; with this move that pretty much never happens. When hit high you can also use it to easily get over the middle of the stage, really reducing your opponent's gimping options or putting you entirely out of the way of a juggle. Even if it did literally nothing else, I would find it superior to default since that's a ridiculously potent upgrade and extends almost literally every last stock Ganon ever has.
This would be true if only Ganon wasn't so easy to juggle from below. Aerial Wizard Foot, even when not used, restricts how other characters can knock Ganon around from below. It's similar to how aerial choke limits what opponents can do to Ganon off stage horizontally.

You could say that Wizard Drop Kick could be used to just escape from juggle attempts in the air, but the kick itself is reasonably slower (19-31 active frames) than Wizard Foot (16-38 active frames plus a ground quake and a stronger knockback).

Wizard Foot also starts at the same speed grounded, while Wizard Drop Kick is actually slower grounded wise (20-43 active frames).

Wizard Foot is the better move in most cases, Drop Kick is good against characters who shun away Ganon's air game completely.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It's a small shock how exhausting Marth can be with his design in mind. Then again, he's left with no choice but to demand technical expertise after getting his game mauled from previous iterations. But like Emblem Lord pointed out, once you're up against a character that really doesn't give a crap about footsies it feels like Marth hits a wall no options in his movement will get you over. Shiek can basically stand there with needles all day and throw out a barrage of lagless moves when desired, Diddy is Diddy, Sonic is so fast on everything he'll punish basically anything we can do, ZSS (oh god Zero Suit) is possibly Marth's worst matchup with her being able to keep us at a comfortable distance, kill early, and mock our silly blade with her dominatrix whip... And so on. I don't think Marth can get anywhere without a solid secondary to back up some of those terrible top character matchups.
The secondaries thing is kind of funny since one Falco, NotAnAdmin, uses Marth as a secondary along with Captain Falcon, and one Marth, X-ian, uses Falco as his secondary. I think it's because they are similar as being footsies and spacing characters who thrive on fundamentals mastery. The only difference is how they're rewarded for their actions.

I play multiple characters because I'm a badass like that. :p

Nah, it's just because I like having fun, but I would say Ike and Ganondorf are my secondaries for the sole fact that I know Ike well enough from Brawl to play as him comfortably in SSB4. I can't transfer everything, but I wasn't and technically still not part of the competitive scene - never went to a tournament local or otherwise -, but I know his weaknesses. Ganondorf just lets me take a backseat and think about all my actions. Fighting as Ganondorf makes me feel like a samurai or cowboy in zen. A calm mind lets me figure out openings and punish them which is Ganondorf's game plan. Still, Ike fits as a spacing character and Ganondorf fits as a spacing character and one who requires a calm mind and good fundamentals. You can't spam with either of them well and playing recklessly with any of them, Falco, Marth, Ike, Ganondorf, etc. just asks for punishment unlike say, Sonic whose speed allows him to get away.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
This would be true if only Ganon wasn't so easy to juggle from below. Aerial Wizard Foot, even when not used, restricts how other characters can knock Ganon around from below. It's similar to how aerial choke limits what opponents can do to Ganon off stage horizontally.

You could say that Wizard Drop Kick could be used to just escape from juggle attempts in the air, but the kick itself is reasonably slower (19-31 active frames) than Wizard Foot (16-38 active frames plus a ground quake and a stronger knockback).

Wizard Foot also starts at the same speed grounded, while Wizard Drop Kick is a actually slower grounded wise (20-43 active frames).

Wizard Foot is the better move in most cases, Drop Kick is good against characters who shun away Ganon's air game completely.
Dropkick offers a more mobile option to escape juggles so your opponent won't just wait directly below you to punish your landing or slow attempt to counter attack. It also has a quake too doesn't it?

The difference in frame data looks pretty trivial. Grounded Drop Kick makes up for the slower startup with a more evasive movement.

The only real benefit of the default is the tremendous power if someone gets too brave juggling. Seems like Ganon should value resetting to neutral so he can use his best and safest options again.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I think it's even, maybe +1 Meta Knight with customs off. Ganon's reward is great, but his recovery is quite exploitable, and Meta Knight is good at exploiting it (better even than Pikachu: more control over his aerial position + sword disjoint for more safety vs. up-air). There are other reasons, but it's not really a debate worth having here.

I'd still use Luigi for this matchup over Pikachu/Meta Knight anyway, though. Greater margin of error is nice.
The only thing Ganon has to be careful of is getting punished by Metaknight's shuttle loop.

Other than that, I agree with @A2ZOMG. I believe Ganon wins by 55:45, maybe even 60:40. Probably his most advantageous match-up this game.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Dropkick also has significantly less ending lag on the ground.

I agree that Ganon does well against MK. We have a good MK locally, and I am actually not sure I can beat him without Ganon, Ness, or Palutena.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Mega Man feels like he'd be an input-intensive character though not necessarily technically demanding. He's probably more technical because his core gameplay is so different from most but it's not a lot of frame perfect stuff or anything.

Dropkick also has significantly less ending lag on the ground.

I agree that Ganon does well against MK. We have a good MK locally, and I am actually not sure I can beat him without Ganon, Ness, or Palutena.
I would assume this is custom Palutena?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I would assume this is custom Palutena?
Yeah. I don't know that I would ever play her without customs. Yeah, she's not awful, and maybe not even "bad"... But she ain't great, that's for sure.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Yeah. I don't know that I would ever play her without customs. Yeah, she's not awful, and maybe not even "bad"... But she ain't great, that's for sure.
So I have a question or two for you regarding her. I've been playing with her some lately (no customs, unfortunately) and I can't help but shake the feeling that her moves don't deal quite enough damage. FAir, DAir, FTilt, and possibly DTilt/UTilt could all use a damage buff of about 1-2%. FAir I'm not totally sold on, since it is such a quick move, but FTilt definitely needs it. The reward on hit is just so awful. In most cases you're lucky to get 6% out of it. That's 6% for a laggy and punishable tilt. DTilt and UTilt are similar but their damage is slightly more respectable. I'd honestly buff both the sweetspot and sourspot of her FTilt by 1% if I could.

The other observation is that her aerials don't flow like they feel like they should. FAir, BAir, UAir, and DAir all have her finish the animation and then just sit there for about 10 frames (approximation, I really don't know the numbers here). Their recovery time just feels greater to me than it should. I can kind of understand BAir and UAir, since they do good damage/kill, but FAir and DAir kind of baffle me. She can't get two FAirs from a low jump when it seems to me like she should.

Anyway, my question is how you feel these improvements would impact her customs-on game. Without customs a lot of her moves just seem kind of "there" but customs help them flow better.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I have a friend that plays Meta Knight occasionally and he doesn't like the Palutena matchup even with customs off. Ironically, he really hates it when I take him to Halberd lol.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So I have a question or two for you regarding her. I've been playing with her some lately (no customs, unfortunately) and I can't help but shake the feeling that her moves don't deal quite enough damage. FAir, DAir, FTilt, and possibly DTilt/UTilt could all use a damage buff of about 1-2%. FAir I'm not totally sold on, since it is such a quick move, but FTilt definitely needs it. The reward on hit is just so awful. In most cases you're lucky to get 6% out of it. That's 6% for a laggy and punishable tilt. DTilt and UTilt are similar but their damage is slightly more respectable. I'd honestly buff both the sweetspot and sourspot of her FTilt by 1% if I could.

The other observation is that her aerials don't flow like they feel like they should. FAir, BAir, UAir, and DAir all have her finish the animation and then just sit there for about 10 frames (approximation, I really don't know the numbers here). Their recovery time just feels greater to me than it should. I can kind of understand BAir and UAir, since they do good damage/kill, but FAir and DAir kind of baffle me. She can't get two FAirs from a low jump when it seems to me like she should.

Anyway, my question is how you feel these improvements would impact her customs-on game. Without customs a lot of her moves just seem kind of "there" but customs help them flow better.
So Palutena has a bunch of weird moves that have weird properties. She is basically a terrible character with a layer of useful gimmicks on all of her moves.

Jab has absurd jab cancels (grab can usually only be avoided by double jump, f3 aerials, or landing hitboxes) and a great finishing hitbox, but is one of the slowest jabs in the game.

Dash Attack beats everything in the game and does nontrivial extra shield damage.

F-tilt is genrously disjointed, beats spot-dodges, and does extremely disproportionate shield damage--but is a frame 17 move that does 6%...

U-tilt also beats spot dodges and does lots of shield damage, but has situational coverage and low reward as well.

D-tilt is, as far as I can tell, total trash and one of the worse moves in the game, with literally no point.

F-smash is powerful, can cover ledges with the lower wing-tip, and has a potent windbox that provides safety. D-smash is similar.

U-smash obviously has the beam, which is great for punish people out of d-throw, ledge jumps, or platforms.

Nair is pretty bad air-to-air, but like the tilts beats spot-dodges and shields very hard. It's a fantastic platform harassment tool, and a decent speed/reward ration for followup. Beats airdodges, if you can follow them.

Fair auto-cancels on frame 24 and has (iirc) only 9 frames of landing lag. That is Diddy/Sheik/Luigi level numbers. Used properly, it's safe on shields. (And it does extra shield damage) Yet it's a frame 9 move that does only 7%.

Bair also does extra shield damage, and also has the same unique property as dash attack that makes it beat everything. It also SH ACs, though nowhere near as generously as fair. This is Palutena's only move that has simply good numbers all around--a great move with the gimmick as a bonus.

Uair is complete cheese, it outprioritizes almost everything and kills off the top really well. Since you can do it while jumping, it carries people up with you before the final hit, so they die sooner. The lower the ceiling, the more pronounced this benefit is. (Hello, Halberd!) Uair allows interrupts before AC.

Dair is an awful move in almost every way. It only does 9%, it can't spike grounded opponents, the knockback is very mediocre, and it doesn't even SH AC. And yet... at frame 10 it's one of the absolute fastest spikes in the game--one of the one ones that exceeds human reaction time.

Her grabs aren't bad, her throws do respectable damage + okay knockback, and her d-throw followup potential is close to Diddy's.

To be honest, I wouldn't touch Palutena much, given the option. Most of what I would change on her is quality-of-life changes I would make on almost everyone applicable:
  • Usmash duration increased a couple of frames to match the graphic.
  • Uair AC time moved up very slightly, to allow FH AC. (I'd make almost every aerial in the game FH AC.)
  • Uair IASA time moved up to AC time. (I'd do this on every applicable aerial in the game except Shulks'.)
  • Dair AC time moved up significantly, to allow SH AC. (I'd do this on most the dair spikes in the game, starting with Ganon.)
  • Allow Up-smash out of Super Speed without requiring a jump-cancel. (I'd also do this to shields, like it was in Brawl.)
  • While Super Speed is on cooldown, side-b inputs are registered as neutral-b instead of nothing. (This makes it very simple to wavebounce AR or EF out of Super Speed.)
You could probably increment random damage values on Palutena, or any random character, without hurting the game. But I'm not convinced it is necessary, and would want to see what the impact of these (beneficial) quality-of-life changes would be first.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I would buff characters who need it way before I would buff Palutena. Palutena with customs is a Top/High Tier character, a viable competitor for top 5. If we're headed towards a customs meta, then she's fine, imo. If we're not, meh, all her jank won't save her from truly good normals, and she's pretty bad to be honest. So if we're not going to eventually make customs legal, then buffing Palutena would be a good move. But with customs in scope, there's no rhyme or reason to doing that.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I would buff characters who need it way before I would buff Palutena. Palutena with customs is a Top/High Tier character, a viable competitor for top 5. If we're headed towards a customs meta, then she's fine, imo. If we're not, meh, all her jank won't save her from truly good normals, and she's pretty bad to be honest. So if we're not going to eventually make customs legal, then buffing Palutena would be a good move. But with customs in scope, there's no rhyme or reason to doing that.
Right, there are two dozen other people I'd sooner start throwing random buffs to before Palutena.

Otherwise, you could double the damage on her d-tilt and no one would notice.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I think it's also important to highlight her run speed and her default Warp making her very solidly mobile, both making her capable of constantly getting inside, and teleporting out of nasty spots.

And her invisible dodges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom