• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well after fighting FullMoon's greninja, I can definitely see this character in top 15.
( Ggs @ FullMoon FullMoon I love fighting people who really understand greninja)
He struggles in nuetral a bit, but when he finally gets the advantage, he's extremely scary. Just imagine how good he'll be when people advance his meta even more 0_o

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
internet soooooooup ggs tho

I actually feel like the LM mu was waaaay better off than the villy boards said at first, and just that the ones they tested with were committing too hard.

I still think that's a little out of LM's favor obviously (no character that can edge like that leaves room for error on my part, after all) but what this made me realize is that LM isn't as stage ruined as even I (much less most people) think and have thought.

Like, in a pick-ban scenario even if FD gets slashed immediately you're not screwed. You can take this man to Battlefield just fine. His full hop reaches the side platforms, and having places to stand where you can avoid pressure from things like Shiek needles is actually beneficial. On top of that he can easily shark the two bottom platforms when he's not standing on them and therefore poses a real threat from the ground. Even in a disadvantaged mu like that one I never felt doomed because of the stage.

When you get to counterpicks, the only thing you're really, really trying to do is not get Duck Hunt. That's roughly it. Transition maps prevent you from getting camped out simply over the fact that no campable transition is permanent because... well... the map transitions. And outside of that you can survive most counterpicks bar Duck Hunt, at least off of the last Evo ruleset with a Pick 3 start. Since FD and Battlefield are both totally playable you can branch either or. And if for whatever reason FD isn't banned, after crossing out Smashville (the platform hates you, is out of your standard jump height, and forces you to make very camp-able commits) you're home free.

Lylat feels iffy to me tho... I wish I could actually try this stuff at home instead of from local events. My character knowledge is fine since I'm in there putting hours on the 3DS everyday but it's hard to stage test for the stages I just don't have =/ I'll delve into Lylat and the counterpicks I missed later. But my major point was a lot of people tend to discount Mac if he's on a non-FD stage at all, and that's simply incorrect. Battlefield is actually totally usable, and transition stages not only limit camping by nature, but also typically offer a lot of strong canvas for him to exploit in the form of walk-offs and favorable and grounded set-ups.

Stages may not be the death knell they were supposed to for this character. So if I get not only that, but real positive/even match-ups in higher ranks (which LM has most definitely) and playability despite the stage system (which, if testing on the stages I didn't cover talking here proves favorable I'd be willing to emphatically support) with the best ground game in the game I think I can support dispelling the standing bottom 5 notion of Mac. I only bring this up because before everyone kind of gave up on tier list structure in the tier list thread, that was an opinion that started off strong, and while it's lost steam ongoing, killing it feels like something I could do to put this character in more people's hands (at least as a counterpick) so his criminally ANTI-developed (the damage For Glory has done to his theory in the minds of players makes developing this character so hard) meta can actually gain traction. I wish I could go to events myself at this point. I might start uploading recorded replays... something! Vex stuffing a handful of people and like a handful of appearances and Apex is something, but not enough!

A character with a best anything, in which the "anything" is an entire vector of play (ground game), should not be this underrated.

Not to mention customs are neat, like the anti-air option offered with Grounding Blow, now allowing him to stuff people trying to space him with aerials. That's a really big deal. Like, seriously.
Just in case no one understands his first sentence, Vincent learned the real impact of getting the bike pocketed when I pocketed his bike in a rather laggy online friendlies.

In other news I think Lylat's Tilting might help Mac's edgeguarding.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Well after fighting FullMoon's greninja, I can definitely see this character in top 15.
( Ggs @ FullMoon FullMoon I love fighting people who really understand greninja)
He struggles in nuetral a bit, but when he finally gets the advantage, he's extremely scary. Just imagine how good he'll be when people advance his meta even more 0_o
Wawawawait, what? That Pac-Man in the Anther's Ladder that I just fought was you?

I'm playing so badly today and falling into tons of baits, I wouldn't say I really understood how to play Greninja based on how I'm playing right now considering I'm playing a bait-and-punish character without doing any baiting. It doesn't help that just by playing online I'm making it a lot harder to be precise with Greninja.

Oh, well, good games anyway, your Pac-Man is pretty good too, you're the first one I see that uses the Up-B on stage and so I didn't really know how to deal with that. I also didn't know the key was affected by the water from the hydrant so that was a cool thing at least.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Wawawawait, what? That Pac-Man in the Anther's Ladder that I just fought was you?

I'm playing so badly today and falling into tons of baits, I wouldn't say I really understood how to play Greninja based on how I'm playing right now considering I'm playing a bait-and-punish character without doing any baiting. It doesn't help that just by playing online I'm making it a lot harder to be precise with Greninja.

Oh, well, good games anyway, your Pac-Man is pretty good too, you're the first one I see that uses the Up-B on stage and so I didn't really know how to deal with that. I also didn't know the key was affected by the water from the hydrant so that was a cool thing at least.
XD yeah, I could tell. You seemed a little off, but I could see the potential. It was kinda hard to bait in that kind of lag though, so I understand.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So around 55:45 Meta Knight's favor then? Greninja outranges him in pretty much all aspects that I can think of and can keep him at bay, but once Meta Knight gets in Greninja can be taken out very fast and he can't really do the same to MK.

By the way, it's not just aMSa. It seems Japan in general is just really ahead when it comes to Greninja's meta. I wonder if he's more popular there or something.
Well..he IS a shinobi.

Racist, but....I mean..come on.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well..he IS a shinobi.

Racist, but....I mean..come on.
Then I'd be one hell of a guerrilla fighter, but that- *realizes he likes Metal Gear and other stealth games that allow him to sneak around and/or perform hit and runs*

Never mind, carry on, folks.

So, how are grab reset combos doing? It's probably much harder to pull off than chain grabbing, but its impact might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Situational as hell. Once people figure out they can DI out and/or act almost immediately when they're dragged to the ground, it becomes moot.

Still, I use it on occasion with D3 as a mixup at low, low percentages (zero to maybe thirty or forty?). Pulling it off, especially to start off strong momentum, is hella rewarding.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
XD yeah, I could tell. You seemed a little off, but I could see the potential. It was kinda hard to bait in that kind of lag though, so I understand.
Yeeeah I need to stop playing For Glory because I think it deteriorated my skill and now I suck at playing with actual skilled people.

I'm surprised Pac-Man isn't used more often though, he has such stage control with his specials.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeeeah I need to stop playing For Glory because I think it deteriorated my skill and now I suck at playing with actual skilled people.

I'm surprised Pac-Man isn't used more often though, he has such stage control with his specials.
You're way better than I am, but here's my For Glory rule: if it's too easy, quit the match. If I can two-stock someone twice in a row, I quit, and play someone else.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

For Glory isn't awful for exercising skill. It's just more practical for mechanical skill and exercising basic mindgames.

Worth playing against players who you are more and less skilled than so you can analyze your strengths and weaknesses.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
You're way better than I am, but here's my For Glory rule: if it's too easy, quit the match. If I can two-stock someone twice in a row, I quit, and play someone else.
I usually just play a best out of three in For Glory with most people I play with so I don't play the same person very often at all. Though, have we ever played? Because otherwise I can't see how you know I'm better than you.

For Glory isn't awful for exercising skill. It's just more practical for mechanical skill and exercising basic mindgames.

Worth playing against players who you are more and less skilled than so you can analyze your strengths and weaknesses.
Yeah, I can see that, though the lag makes it really hard to know if you really have a problem in your playstyle or the lag is messing you up. I have no idea how I'd do playing offline since I don't have a very big scene where I live.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Speaking of For Glory, I just played a good Kirby, Pikachu, and Ness. Apparently Kirby can grab reset out of D-throw to Fair on Ganondorf because Ganondorf falls fast and doesn't move well in the air.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I stopped playing 4 glory. It's laggy and most of the players are bad. So you don't even get any real MU experience.

The Robin hype made little sense when people talked him up. Same with shulk and other characters. Sometimes when people put up good results that doesn't make the character good. Especially when people are still learning optimal ranges and punishes.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I stopped playing 4 glory. It's laggy and most of the players are bad. So you don't even get any real MU experience.

The Robin hype made little sense when people talked him up. Same with shulk and other characters. Sometimes when people put up good results that doesn't make the character good. Especially when people are still learning optimal ranges and punishes.
Yeah, but then you have pac-man who actually is very good, yet people overlook him because few people understand him yet and tunnel vision his capabilities.
He's one of the weirdest characters that smash has ever had, which repels the people who want an easy to pick up character who will get results immediately.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yall ****** is trying to play?!?!?!

Sumone add me quick!!! Tryin to practice my sheik.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

No, For Glory is pretty awful due to the inconsistencies with both the opponent you face and how much lag you encounter. Playing For Glory will cause you to develop bad habits, whether it's underestimating or overestimating match ups, spamming moves more then necessary, or rolling a lot.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yeah, but then you have pac-man who actually is very good, yet people overlook him because few people understand him yet and tunnel vision his capabilities.
He's one of the weirdest characters that smash has ever had, which repels the people who want an easy to pick up character who will get results immediately.
I don't know if that's the reason people overlook pacman. I feel like he's just missing some explosive or cheaper. A game changer if you may.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz

I feel like for glory is like Street fighter 4 ranked. You go in skilled and come back a little wonky.
Anyways which characters benefit from customs? I know ganondorf and fox do. i'm just curious about what possible changes can happen for competitive play.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I don't know if that's the reason people overlook pacman. I feel like he's just missing some explosive or cheaper. A game changer if you may.
Well let's take a look...

-An Up B that resets the game to neutral, ignores shields, and forces the opponent to let you charge or approach from a terrible angle. Can even force the opponent to jump out of the spawn plate and wastes their invincibility (destroys olimar because he can't use his invincibility to get his pikmin)

-A down B that can control space, act as a dangerous projectile, and launch z dropped fruit from behind you to act as a protective hitbox that can protect you from punishes as you approach. Also one of the game's best (if not THE best) anti juggling tool.

-8 projectiles with different properties to ruin all approaches and eat other projectiles (especially the melon and other high tier fruits) All can be used as items, and each fruit gains a new trajectory when pushed by the water of the hydrant. (Galaxian...the combo master)

-A side B that can absorb projectiles (the pellet can even stop missles and charge shots, then I can eat it for a quick 2%)
And can act as a potent mixup/crossup/ kill move

I could go on...

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
His only flaw and what keeps him out of top 5.

No kill confirm.

That's it. But its the most important thing in the game.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
His only flaw and what keeps him out of top 5.

No kill confirm.

That's it. But its the most important thing in the game.
So true:crying:
Freaky fruit can remedy this somewhat. Cherry and strawberry pull the opponent in for a free usmash/fsmash. But the fruit can be power shielded if the opponent sees it coming...
It does help that the cherry and strawberry are the quickest fruits to get.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, For Glory is pretty awful due to the inconsistencies with both the opponent you face and how much lag you encounter. Playing For Glory will cause you to develop bad habits, whether it's underestimating or overestimating match ups, spamming moves more then necessary, or rolling a lot.
The lag for this game isn't awful unless you're playing really precise spacing oriented characters and trying to practice reaction roll frame traps.

I don't have a problem with practicing against lesser skilled players. You still have to identify playstyle and habits when playing against someone new. And I rarely ever roll or spotdodge personally except during unplayable levels of lag. Against people that do spam rolls, I just use it as an opportunity to practice the spacing for punishing rolls.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Would I be wrong in assuming that Ike, Shulk and MK may be in the top 20 in the game? Maybe in the teens between 13-17 or so?
Seems like they have generally good matchups only truly bested by top tier monsters. If so, I'm in my comfort zone, as I enjoy maining mid-teen-tiered characters since it makes match-ups manageable without being too meta or overused. Makes me have to work hard at times but not as hard at others. And those three are among my favorite characters so. If they're not I'll main them anyway but I'm just curious if it worked out that way just like it did with Wolf in Brawl.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Pac's biggest weakness is shields and arguably rage. It's often happened to me that I've dominated the early stages of a match, got my opponent up to a kill percent and then they immediately go in to defensive mode. Pac becomes very risky at this point due to his f12 grab. You can pretty much force the Pac Man into a situation where he has to grab or risk throwing out one of his kill fruit (if shielded forces Pac to charge again) or risk a laggy smash attack. None of these options are ideal for Pac as it often puts him in disadvantage. Rage then allows the opponent to kill at wtf percents and then you have to reach super hard for a kill with Pac's ultra laggy smash attacks until you finally land one.

This scenario has unfolded itself many times while playing as Pac and why I believe he is firmly in the mid tier. Oh and also the fact that a lot of Pac players can get by on MU inexperience because nobody plays him. As people work out his flaws and exploit them, he will drop in people's estimations.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So true:crying:
Freaky fruit can remedy this somewhat. Cherry and strawberry pull the opponent in for a free usmash/fsmash. But the fruit can be power shielded if the opponent sees it coming...
It does help that the cherry and strawberry are the quickest fruits to get.
Yeah, Pac-Man has quite the struggle to net kills, didn't I live until what, 180% at some point on our matches? Though funny that Greninja and Pac-Man both have customs that pull the opponent towards them.

The lag for this game isn't awful unless you're playing really precise spacing oriented characters and trying to practice reaction roll frame traps.
Thus why I rarely use Greninja's F-Air online.

NairWizard

Somewhere
What I don't get about For Glory (not that this really belongs in this topic but FG came up here so I may as well mention it) is why people are so disrespectful in general. Like you'll SD (or leave due to lag) and the other guy taunts/teabags/whatever else. Taunting among friends or popping off after a hype tournament set is cool and all, but why would you do that to a complete stranger whose disposition/interpretation you know nothing about lol.

I played this dude the other day who was kinda good but had a bad rolling habit, so I 2-stocked him a few matches because the lag was decent enough to punish the rolls, and then tried to give him some advice via the messages, like "TryNotRolling" and "UseMoreDtilt" and so on. Next match, not only does he roll, but he does nothing else but roll. It's almost like he wanted to spite me for my unsolicited advice. lol. Maybe it's just an age thing and I'm playing 16 year olds. Who knows. I wasn't that rude when I was 16, I can tell you that much.

/offtopic

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
What I don't get about For Glory (not that this really belongs in this topic but FG came up here so I may as well mention it) is why people are so disrespectful in general. Like you'll SD (or leave due to lag) and the other guy taunts/teabags/whatever else. Taunting among friends or popping off after a hype tournament set is cool and all, but why would you do that to a complete stranger whose disposition/interpretation you know nothing about lol.

I played this dude the other day who was kinda good but had a bad rolling habit, so I 2-stocked him a few matches because the lag was decent enough to punish the rolls, and then tried to give him some advice via the messages, like "TryNotRolling" and "UseMoreDtilt" and so on. Next match, not only does he roll, but he does nothing else but roll. It's almost like he wanted to spite me for my unsolicited advice. lol. Maybe it's just an age thing and I'm playing 16 year olds. Who knows. I wasn't that rude when I was 16, I can tell you that much.

/offtopic
The power of being anonymous, turns many humans into piles of garbage. Its basically 4 chan with smash.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Taunting unironically in 2015 is like starting to smoke cigarettes in 2015.

I'm just... always genuinely puzzled that anyone would do that.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Then I'd be one hell of a guerrilla fighter, but that- *realizes he likes Metal Gear and other stealth games that allow him to sneak around and/or perform hit and runs*
I still don't have a main in Smash 4

I need Snake back :(

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pac's biggest weakness is shields and arguably rage. It's often happened to me that I've dominated the early stages of a match, got my opponent up to a kill percent and then they immediately go in to defensive mode. Pac becomes very risky at this point due to his f12 grab. You can pretty much force the Pac Man into a situation where he has to grab or risk throwing out one of his kill fruit (if shielded forces Pac to charge again) or risk a laggy smash attack. None of these options are ideal for Pac as it often puts him in disadvantage. Rage then allows the opponent to kill at wtf percents and then you have to reach super hard for a kill with Pac's ultra laggy smash attacks until you finally land one.

This scenario has unfolded itself many times while playing as Pac and why I believe he is firmly in the mid tier. Oh and also the fact that a lot of Pac players can get by on MU inexperience because nobody plays him. As people work out his flaws and exploit them, he will drop in people's estimations.
Why are you still on the offensive with an advantage like that? If your opponent's percentage is that high, then start using your superior defensive game. If the opponent wants to go super defensive once they reach KO percentages, then wait for them. You can reliably camp them out until time. Once they realize this, they'll try to play more aggresively and that's when you can get the kill.
I mean come on now...you're using pac-man...you shouldn't be on the offensive when your opponent is at a much higher percentage than you and decides to play defensively. They aren't gaining the advantage back by holding shield

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
For glory makes spacing zss's nair impossible for me. It was already awkward and hard space for me off line but I am much better at it than at first.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
For me and villager, when I saw Rugby Shirt on that pic of the day I literally told my friend "That one, I'm maining that one" before then I had NO interest in maining Villager.
When the demo came out I lost interest in villager partially because I was forced to play Turnip Top but mostly because my friend and main training partner was playing Megaman and Megaman is an unfun MU for Villager.

Later in another forum @ Thinkaman Thinkaman requested a few customs on battles with me. I noticed I had the Timber counter (and kinda already knew of its jank) unlocked and had a Villager set for it so I tried her out now having access to Rugby Shirt.
After those battles he said and I quote "I loved playing your Villager" seeing someone enjoy playing against me made me so happy i started playing less of everyone and more of villager. To the point where I went to a phase where I ONLY played Villager.

Ofcourse If looks and others enjoyment where the only reason I main a character I would be a Ganon main, that's when I found out that Villager was a character, that I feel, was (almost) designed for me in mind.

Back in Brawl I played a lot of characters mostly Ness and TL because of their projectiles and occasional off stage game. I also love rushdown and I genuinely thought it was impossible to rushdown, have a solid offstage game, AND have solid projectiles... Until I played more of Villager!

Even though now I know that if I ever were to join a tournament, I'd probably lose to a stray Sheik/Sonic/Yoshi/Fox/MM, I still want to help in whatever small and miniscule way to strenghen this girl's meta.

I don't think I have ever been more passionate about a fighting game character than I have with Villager.

This is why I play Villager and I'm very curious to see why you guys main your mains

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom