• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
You seriously get that amazed at a Peach in top8? Where have you been the last 2 months duuude

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Dude who holds up those G&W placements? there are not many top level brawlers using him on the west coast, and I dont know many on the east, but I mean for such a good character like G&W, who is top tier material, where does he representation come from, just local tourneys and maybe a small reigional? Just IMO.
Also lol at CGC 3, i was an uptilt away from staying in the losers... lol but i had a good time playing there

gantrain05

Smash Master
Dude who holds up those G&W placements? there are not many top level brawlers using him on the west coast, and I dont know many on the east, but I mean for such a good character like G&W, who is top tier material, where does he representation come from, just local tourneys and maybe a small reigional? Just IMO.
Also lol at CGC 3, i was an uptilt away from staying in the losers... lol but i had a good time playing there
midwest man, gdubs is all over the place here, to be honest i think we have some of the best in the nation, which is good coming from the midwest....most of the rest of the country consider us garbage :ohwell:

CR4SH

Smash Lord
The internet

Where everything is assumed serious unless explicitly differentiated.

Welcome to the world of the confused and unnecessarily offended.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I think people just don't realize how freaking good G&W is and how his dominance over the rest of the cast is similar to Metaknight's.

However, he is more boring to play. That's another thing.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I think people just don't realize how freaking good G&W is and how his dominance over the rest of the cast is similar to Metaknight's.

However, he is more boring to play. That's another thing.
yeah......G&W strategy.....space Bair over and over.....Key....more Bair and kill with a lucky Dsmash.....woo fun.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
actually I prefer to play G&W any day of the week. He's so much fun. He also has the ultimate handicap. He fights a whole dimension down from everyone else.

gantrain05

Smash Master
actually I prefer to play G&W any day of the week. He's so much fun. He also has the ultimate handicap. He fights a whole dimension down from everyone else.
lmao....but techically speaking....since every character is on a flat screen all of them are "technically" 2 dimensional......they just look 3D.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
G&W's "lucky smashes" are awesome. They look so slow because of their startup time, but their hitboxes are HUGE with HUGE priority and shield stun. Not to mention they kill way below 100%. G&W is a power house when you take those moves into consideration.

His smashes punish air dodges, spot dodges, rolls, and trips that happened to simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not just bair, but all his aerials have priority and usefulness that is way too good.

It's his slow ground game that might handicap him... but IMO he doesn't really need the ground.

Dthrow stuff is cool sometimes too.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Really? Iunno, I'd much rather fight a G&W than an MK. My ground attacks clash with G&W. I can defend myself against his Dtilt, Ftilt, etc. with hitboxes. And that's with Sonic lol. MK's stupid unique priority mechanics don't allow for clashing.... wtf Sakurai. MK attacks with great range and no lag, and I have to avoid the attacks with a dodge, better spacing, or lol grab armour. And even his ending lag is barely punishable. AND MK is heavier than G&W (barely).

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah i'll play Gdubs anyday.....my oli puts the **** on him.....i have to resort to fighting MK with peach...which isn't really that bad, im good enough that i go about even with MK but i just feel like alot of it is because i threw out a random move and MK runs into it.....anytime i land a good KO move on MK i just feel like it was luck because i KNOW they always have a way around it lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Those are weak arguments for MK's superiority over G&W, infzy. MK has speed, but G&W's strengths are in placing a spacing game. Even if you clash with him or whatever, it still doesn't stop him from creating a brick wall with his aerials. People think "bair" when fighting him, but it's a lot more than that. His moves are multi-hit and disjointed. His air control is superior to Marth's and rivals Metaknight's. G&W can control the flow of the match with the nature of his moves. He doesn't need speed.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Those are weak arguments for MK's superiority over G&W, infzy. MK has speed, but G&W's strengths are in placing a spacing game. Even if you clash with him or whatever, it still doesn't stop him from creating a brick wall with his aerials. People think "bair" when fighting him, but it's a lot more than that. His moves are multi-hit and disjointed. His air control is superior to Marth's and rivals Metaknight's. G&W can control the flow of the match with the nature of his moves. He doesn't need speed.
he apparently can do all that with only 2 dimensions too o.O but really i think he's great, but i believe he has his share of bad matchups as well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
he apparently can do all that with only 2 dimensions too o.O but really i think he's great, but i believe he has his share of bad matchups as well.
True. He can lose in spacing games with Marth sometimes, and Diddy's overall speed can overwhelm him especially when he doesn't have anything to deal with bananas. While people try to deal with MK's lagless speed, that sword, and overall control of the match.... beating G&W is more about conquering his priority, range, power, and freaking dthrow.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
In case you care when it comes to Game and Watch, I think Diddy Kong has to be one of his worst matchups. Bananas are just so bad for him on the ground. If he gets hit by one, he's probably the single easiest character to juggle across the stage with bananas because of how slow he gets back up. On a stage like Delphino during a walk off it's very easy to lock him against a wall or juggle him off a walk off. Both Marth and Meta Knight have the ability to heavily pressure Game and Watch as soon as they break through his wall and it can be extremely hard for him to get back into his "rhythm" against these characters once that happens.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
^This is exactly right. Diddy Kong is sooo hard to deal with using G&W. I mean, I feel stuck with DDD who is really slow, but I can still manage with gimping Diddy Kong. G&W doesn't really have that option... so I just feel eve more stuck.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Hmm... it seems odd for Fox to be under the "Never Used" section on the list. Fox is ridiculously good. Good enough for high tier material. Super fast, powerful moves, a lot of combo potential, reflects projectiles easily, quick moves, and can set up for KO's easily. I'm just baffled to see Fox that low.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Fox has some huge Glaring weakness. He's got a predictible approach (read: Dair), a subpar camping game compared to Falco or Wolf, and a recovery that while being slightly better than his clones is still massive Meta Knight fodder. He also has problems with not being able to outrange alot of characters with hardly anything. Meta Knight and Snake can completely wreck him because of this. In the current competitive atmosphere if you flat out lose to those two characters you won't be placing. Not to metnion ZSS, Pikachu and Sheik all have the ability to lock Fox in moves that he can't escape until he's in kill range of their other attacks. You don't even have to be that good with Pikachu to beat good Foxes with him. The Dthrow chain can go to 90+ depending on the followup move. You can duck under his laser and all of his approaches are easily shield grabbed. He's ****ed.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Fox has some huge Glaring weakness. He's got a predictible approach (read: Dair), a subpar camping game compared to Falco or Wolf, and a recovery that while being slightly better than his clones is still massive Meta Knight fodder. He also has problems with not being able to outrange alot of characters with hardly anything. Meta Knight and Snake can completely wreck him because of this. In the current competitive atmosphere if you flat out lose to those two characters you won't be placing. Not to metnion ZSS, Pikachu and Sheik all have the ability to lock Fox in moves that he can't escape until he's in kill range of their other attacks. You don't even have to be that good with Pikachu to beat good Foxes with him. The Dthrow chain can go to 90+ depending on the followup move. You can duck under his laser and all of his approaches are easily shield grabbed. He's ****ed.
well all of this is true.....but i use him for a DK/DDD/wario counter.....he seems to work very well for me in those matchups, yeah he's got some horrible matchups true...but he's got some that are very good as well, he won't be winning any tournies but he's a really good character to learn for counterpicks.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
m2k got 2nd in a tournament. Gasp!

I think people have given up on Link. Does anyone still see Link in the competitive scene? I haven't been to a tourney since October.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Pikachu/Sheik/ZSS vs Fox = lol

Fox is pretty good, but man... sucks to be him. Ease of counterpicking really kills fox, it really does

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
He does well against those character but you could just as easily use Meta Knight against all three of those, or Sheik/Zelda, or Olimar. They all do well against those characters and don't get wrecked by massive chains. And using any character not named DDD against DK seems almost silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom