• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Specific Counterpicks/Bans: Kirby

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
hurry and discuss toon link
It's going in alphabetical order, so you guys aren't gonna be up for a while, lol.

I think.... we might be done with Falco, ESAM. =X

Maybe we should consider listing BF as a ban, though, instead of "your least favorite stage." Sounds like it's a pretty solid CP for Falco against us.

J4pu

Smash Champion
you might want to ban Japes vs falco
not many falcos actually use it anymore because it messes with our KO game but in the pika mu it will serve as a high blastzone so that the CG wont end in us dying by thunder.
the water helps our recovery
an intelligent Falco can match the ending Dair of the CG with the klap trap timing
Falco will have a hard time killing on this stage, but other than that it caters to his strengths while lessening the impacts of pikas CG

EDIT *reads page 4*, well this post was unnecessary

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Psst, change the title. (EDIT: Nvm, did it myself. It was bothering me.)

Uhhh, for Fox, just give him the least amount of platforms possible so you have the best chance at getting the grab. That's pretty much it. It's a win-win anyway since if you do end up on a platform-heavy stage, the platforms'll cut down his laser spam effectiveness and limit his approaches if you camp underneath one.

My personal opinion:

Strikes: Yoshi's, BF, Lylat, SV, FD. I'm guessing they'll strike FD/SV or FD/Lylat (not sure how much the tilting bothers Foxes in comparison to the threat of the CG), so the match would end up being on Lylat or SV. Probably Lylat?
CPs: FD or SV. He's gonna ban FD.... then try to platform camp, so give him the least amount to work with.
Bans: Dunno. I can agree with Halberd..... his usmash'll kill you stupid early.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
defiantly ban FD, don't even wanna joke about fighting you guys there....

hmm, halberd would prolly be one of my top pics, then again there's not many platforms and lots of flat space.

i might actually go to rainbow. i can see that messing up your guy's chaingrab as well getting the grab in the first place.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Because people don't know what to do for a lot of matchups. The high tier matchups everybody knows where they do good/do bad so alphabetical is better.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh wow, I didn't even notice the character'd changed.

G&W..... ugggh, I hate fighting him on any stage tbh.

Strikes: Lylat, BF, Yoshi's, Smashville, FD
Ban: Brinstar
CP: FD or Delfino

For my CP against him, I just go where I feel most comfortable. G&W is probably gonna ban FD. Halberd might be a better CP technically speaking, but I don't think it really matters as long as you're comfortable with the stage you pick..... and for some reason, I like Delfino better. *shrug*

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Halberd is bad...he will kill us ridiculously earlier, even though we get the same advantage. The platform messes with our approaches and not so much his...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I mentioned it because you listed it as a suggested CP, lol.

Tbh, I'm not a Halberd fan in general. I know it's supposedly a great Pika stage, but.... I just don't like it that much for some reason.

EDIT & bump (get at my skills): Inviting the G&Ws.

Also, repeating again that you have Halberd down as a CP in the OP, ESAM. Dunno if it's a mistake or what, but you should probably change it since you don't seem to agree with yourself, lol.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Neutrals that aren't Lylat and battlefield are good choices to CP against him. FD/SV/YI are probably his worst stages.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'll take it off when I edit it.

Alphi, if pika bans Brinstar, what level can we expect?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Neutrals that aren't Lylat and battlefield are good choices to CP against him. FD/SV/YI are probably his worst stages.
yea...try to go on the flattest stage as possible
FD SV are pretty much all u got:p

though if you want a platform stage, you can try going on YI
not really sure if it's a good pika stage or not but G&W doesn't do that great on it either since the Mid platform messes with his approaches. You can try going halberd if you know how to play on it though he can probably kill you earlier than you can kill him so....ya..your choice lol. You can even go BF if you want and camp under the platforms

Strike BF,Lylat,
Try to get him on either SV FD or YI

Ban the obvious RC lol
Other choices can be lylat,frigate,brinstar, or delfino
though most G&W's will always go for RC
if you ban RC,expect brinstar or delfino

CP
SV,FD,or YI
or you can go Halberd,ps1, or BF if you know how to play on there

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
though against most G&W's if you ban anything about RC,they'll go RC lol
if you ban RC,expect brinstar or delfino
Well ****. Delfino's fine imo, but RC and Brinstar are both stages I wouldn't wanna fight a G&W on. x.x

Brinstar because it's just a crap stage all around, and RC because of all the stupid **** he can do there + low ceiling.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I play in a region where Norfair is legal, so I'd ban that over anything really. Is RC that bad for pika? It seems like it'd be pretty good actually.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's a decently good Pika stage -- I just wouldn't wanna do it vs. G&W.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I like smashville for gaw and like taking him to ps1 and maybe green greens now that it's legal. I wish I could help with this. I'm a ***** and am taking a break from trying to fight gaws with pika. I just play diddy ;_;

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
****, MLG's stage list is so janked..... it's gonna **** everything up, lol. I doubt anybody's even played on half the now-legal stages in a while (besides maybe MW people).

@Today: I only like Norfair when I can camp...... either tjolt camping/planking from above or camping the bottom platform with thunder and aerials. Since neither works that well against G&W (bucket + key = :(), I don't think I'd like playing him there, but I'm like isaccard: I haven't played on Norfair in forever since it hasn't been legal in my region til now.

EDIT: @ESAM: From a quick glance, the new starters for the characters we've done look okay. I'll look it over more thoroughly and give my own opinion after I get back from my Smashfest later (where we'll be using the new stages, so I'll have a tiny bit of practice on them at least).

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
NEVER take a GnW to norfair with Pika, GnW is ridiculous there.

Halberd, get rid of that also if possible, platform plus low ceiling.

I can't think of any good specific stages Pika would take GnW to tbh. Maybe FD?

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
greeen greeeens? if three blocks are lined up vertically I'm pretty sure we can just qac lock on that little platform, if that doesnt work well it's at least a guaranteed body thunder. so..camp dem sides. i haven't gotten to play on this stage really yet but it seems like it could be awesomee.

if there wasn't a planking limit I would say sv would be gold but, =/

Alphicans

Smash Hero
With the stage list presented, neutrals are the only good choices for you. Banning norfair should take priority over RC imo.

Now allow me to show you why pika is boned vs GaW with the starter list :).

This is the list:

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshis Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege

Each player gets 4 strikes right? GaW is gonna strike FD, SV, YI and probably castle siege. Pika gets rid of what? No matter what you'll end up on either lylat delfino or halberd. Really prime stages for us. With this stage list the m/u for pika goes down considerably I think.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
K well like how else are you going to play out the stage? The platforms are really low, I think saying that pika should never be on the platforms is really optimistic, because there is just no way that is going to happen. 3 low platforms + GaW's moves that can pop you up = pika on the platforms. Plus when coming down from the air, there are really only 3 safe spots to come down through (the spaces between the platforms) the rest is nair material. Battlefield at least has the whole top platform, and you be creative with upB to psyche GaW out.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I never go on platforms on Lylat unless I'm air chasing somebody. Maybe it's just me...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's not just being on the platforms, it's being in the air, and forced to land on the platforms. It's too hard to avoid that when vsing GaW. Bair pops you up, dair pops you up and uthrow pops you up. There will be no avoiding it in the match-up. And yes, uthrow is a very useful move >_>. Also the fact that nair isn't just great for platform pressure, it can be pretty good when you're grounded.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Even if norfair is a good stage for GW I doubt he gains much advantage vs pika there. Pikachu is at least as good as (imo significantly better) abusing multiple platforms with ledges, if GW is a master at abusing platforms he'd do better of to pick a level vs pika with platforms you cant grab.

Also, at least vs pika I think GW's platform abuse is overrated. I wont get into mu specifics, but pikachu never has to land in any particular place because of SB and QA. If hes high enough in the air he can SB off stage, if not (say on lylat) he can appear to land on one platform and then quickly QA to another, or QA to the ground, or anywhere really. If anything I'd say singular mono platforms work in GW's favor vs pika, because then he is much more limited on where he can land.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Try to remember that G&W isn't that mobile, and it's his priority that makes him so good. Thus, taking him somewhere where we can punish his mistakes and keep him at bay is key.

But yet again, I can say that for most characters.

Top Bottom