• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chibo Presents: Beyond the Limit 2 - Philly, PA - Nov 14 - LIVESTREAM NOW!

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
There's nothing I can do about the date. The next three months are so freicken packed in, this was the only date I could choose. I had put in the request to rent the venue from my school on this date before Inui even announced his tourney.

Besides, the crowd for the game is quite different. People who really enjoy Brawl+ typically tend to be sort of discontent with Brawl and would rather go to a huge Brawl+ event than your run of the mill Brawl tourney that happens all the time. Plus, the only states that Inui's attendance draw from is mainly NJ and NY (and like 2, no more than 5 PA players). Insomniac from NY is going to come to this, I'm sure Yes will find a way here from NJ and probably bring someone with him, etc. Everyone that I would expect to go to Inui's over this didn't even come to the first BtL so it's not a biggie. Also not to mention it's incredibly unlikely for MD/VA to go to Inui's tourney, yet they will come for this as there are a ton of MD/VA Brawl+ players, and this is about an hour closer of a drive for them, if not slightly more.
yeah, that sounds about right.

Phili isn't that far from me since im on the east side of Bmore... so i'll probably go.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Chibo, you fail. This isn't going to be a true "gold" set. I thought we made that fairly clear. "Gold" implies a final version. One that will only receive small periodical updates - not any more big changes. If you were paying attention at all, you'd know we still have several big things in store for brawl+. Yes, this next release is going to sit for a few months. Yes, it is a highly stable beta build. No, it is not a gold release.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Chibo, you fail. This isn't going to be a true "gold" set. I thought we made that fairly clear. "Gold" implies a final version. One that will only receive small periodical updates - not any more big changes. If you were paying attention at all, you'd know we still have several big things in store for brawl+. Yes, this next release is going to sit for a few months. Yes, it is a highly stable beta build. No, it is not a gold release.
I was under the impression it was the first gold release since as you said it's not going to be updated again for months. What will the next release be called? Unless you call it Gold and the future release with added bonuses be platinum :)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Plus, the only states that Inui's attendance draw from is mainly NJ and NY (and like 2, no more than 5 PA players). Insomniac from NY is going to come to this, I'm sure Yes will find a way here from NJ and probably bring someone with him, etc. Everyone that I would expect to go to Inui's over this didn't even come to the first BtL so it's not a biggie. Also not to mention it's incredibly unlikely for MD/VA to go to Inui's tourney, yet they will come for this as there are a ton of MD/VA Brawl+ players, and this is about an hour closer of a drive for them, if not slightly more.

Wrong. I already have ~10 MD/VA players confirmed for my event. Yes! would come to my event if you weren't hosting this on the same day. You are indeed harming my attendance, and my event is more important; it's a large regional for the main game, not the game only a small cult plays.

You didn't even play the game while in TX, and I was sporting a backroom set too. wtf.
I've been playing it at my school since the semester started. It sucks.

Good reasoning, Chibo.

Simply put, not many + players would skip BtL to go to a vBrawl tourney. :p

I'm not concerned over Brawl+ players. Think about it. I'm concerned about losing attendance from those that play both, such as Blackanese, NinjaLink, and Yes!.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
So when you decide to host an event on the same day as a differ tourney, such as Real Pimps Use Gimps (which was even in the same state), you didn't care at all because it wouldn't hurt your attendance. However you care about this because you are worried about it hurting your attendance. I however on the other hand, am not worried one bit. Brawl+ players will know which tourney to attend.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
So when you decide to host an event on the same day as a differ tourney, such as Real Pimps Use Gimps (which was even in the same state), you didn't care at all because it would hurt your attendance. However you care about this because you care about it hurting your attendance. I however on the other hand, am not worried one bit. Brawl+ players will know which tourney to attend.
Chibo, your logic really astonishes me sometimes.

Either that, or your R.O.B.'s AI chip is helping you out.

bleyva

Smash Ace
Why are you hosting a tournament for this awful game on the same day that I'm hosting something very large featuring two godlike people from Texas as special guests? ~_~

Maaaaad dumb, Chibo.
Chibo i recommend moving to another date- not because i plan on attending this, but because most people will go to inui's over this
well at least its off to a good start :bee:

Inui

Banned via Warnings
So when you decide to host an event on the same day as a differ tourney, such as Real Pimps Use Gimps (which was even in the same state), you didn't care at all because it would hurt your attendance. However you care about this because you care about it hurting your attendance. I however on the other hand, am not worried one bit. Brawl+ players will know which tourney to attend.
Real Pimps Use Gimps...was being hosted by Tbagz at a horrible venue and the event had absolutely no hype; it didn't matter.

You shouldn't be hosting an event that can hurt another viable event on the same day. I had November 14th first. Plenty of people play both games and will be torn now and we'll hurt each other's attendance a bit. My event is featuring DugFinn and Xyro, two elite hosts from Texas and Xyro is even the best Samus in the nation. Wtf @ people NOT wanting to go to my event. Everyone that plays Smash at all should want to go.

Tbagz is a nobody. You aren't. We shouldn't be clashing with each other. Your sense as a host...is almost nonexistant now. Look at the other comments being posted. >_>;

So if B+ sucks what's your opinion on Brawl?
Brawl also sucks, but at least there's ten million times the amount of money to win and the scene is actually extremely active.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

Wrong. I already have ~10 MD/VA players confirmed for my event. Yes! would come to my event if you weren't hosting this on the same day. You are indeed harming my attendance, and my event is more important; it's a large regional for the main game, not the game only a small cult plays.

I'm not concerned over Brawl+ players. Think about it. I'm concerned about losing attendance from those that play both, such as Blackanese, NinjaLink, and Yes!.
Point being? Let people play what they want to play. If they prefer to come to BtL over your tourney, than that is their choice and it tells you what game they prefer. Let people choose what game they prefer and want to play. :/

You make these people sound more like numbers than actual players imo.

EDIT:
Wtf @ people NOT wanting to go to my event. Everyone that plays Smash at all should want to go.
If I dont like the game, I dont really care how popular the event is. I wont attend. And I'm sure alot of smashers feel like that. I only attend TX tourneys for my friends and smashers of who's company I enjoy.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
There's nothing I can do about the date. The next three months are so freicken packed in, this was the only date I could choose. I had put in the request to rent the venue from my school on this date before Inui even announced his tourney.

Besides, the crowd for the game is quite different. People who really enjoy Brawl+ typically tend to be sort of discontent with Brawl and would rather go to a huge Brawl+ event than your run of the mill Brawl tourney that happens all the time. Plus, the only states that Inui's attendance draw from is mainly NJ and NY (and like 2, no more than 5 PA players). Insomniac from NY is going to come to this, I'm sure Yes will find a way here from NJ and probably bring someone with him, etc. Everyone that I would expect to go to Inui's over this didn't even come to the first BtL so it's not a biggie. Also not to mention it's incredibly unlikely for MD/VA to go to Inui's tourney, yet they will come for this as there are a ton of MD/VA Brawl+ players, and this is about an hour closer of a drive for them, if not slightly more.
Good ****, fight the powah!
Wrong. I already have ~10 MD/VA players confirmed for my event.
None of whom are hardcore Brawl+ers. I don't think BtL is actually losing anyone from MD/VA because of your tourney. All the people going to yours probably would've ended up going to the local MD/VA tourney that weekend anyway.

So no loss to us. Brawl+ tourneys have gotten their attendance ***** by someone who decided to host a Brawl tourney on the same day so many times that I could care less if the situation gets reversed for once.

Stay strong Mr. Sempai.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Point being? Let people play what they want to play. If they prefer to come to BtL over your tourney, than that is their choice and it tells you what game they prefer. Let people choose what game they prefer and want to play. :/
That's nice, but there is no point to even creating the situation where people have to choose.

As a host interested in money and statistics, yes, people are often numbers. People are indeed numbers in this current discussion.

If I dont like the game, I dont really care how popular the event is. I wont attend. And I'm sure alot of smashers feel like that. I only attend TX tourneys for my friends and smashers of who's company I enjoy.
My events always have Melee (the good game) on the side. Brawl and Melee combined > other Smash games, especially the Mugen one lol.

So no loss to us. Brawl+ tourneys have gotten their attendance ***** by someone who decided to host a Brawl tourney on the same day so many times that I could care less if the situation gets reversed for once.
That is because Brawl is the normal game, and Brawl+ (aka Melee- aka Mugen with Smash characters) is a game only played by like...a small cult. >_>;

It will never be convenient enough for enough people to have it on their Wiis, so it can never become the standard.

That's just reality.

Revven

FrankerZ
I was under the impression it was the first gold release since as you said it's not going to be updated again for months. What will the next release be called? Unless you call it Gold and the future release with added bonuses be platinum :)
It's the RC I believe we talked about awhile ago (release candidate). It'll sit for some months while other stuff is worked on and then anything wrong will be changed along with the stuff we would be working on during that time, thus getting to Gold 1 or w/e. :p

But, you could keep the topic title if you want to, making it clear though would be better though. :p

That is because Brawl is the normal game, and Brawl+ (aka Melee- aka Mugen with Smash characters) is a game only played by like...a small cult. >_>;

It will never be convenient enough for enough people to have it on their Wiis, so it can never become the standard.

That's just reality.
It's funny, I thought we've said several times decades ago that Brawl+ isn't trying to become the standard and take over Brawl. That's BALANCED BRAWL you should be giving that crap to. But wait, that doesn't matter either because there is a way to use both things without having the Homebrew Chanel on your Wii.

But that isn't even the point either. The point is that Brawl+ isn't trying to become a new standard, aka "taking over Brawl". For the umpteenth time I have told people, it is it's own thing.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
That's nice, but there is no point to even creating the situation where people have to choose.

Well as Chibo said, he couldn't help it. So hey, this is the situation.

As a host interested in money and statistics, yes, people are often numbers. People are indeed numbers in this current discussion.

Maybe to you. lol. I dont think its that way to the B+ community, and if it is, not to me.

My events always have Melee (the good game) on the side. Brawl and Melee combined > other Smash games, especially the Mugen one lol.

Mugen is a game where you add in your own characters. I told you in my car that B+ doesnt do that.

Not really a small cult. A small community, yea, but it definately has interest that is actually growing.

fyi, you dont need homebrew anymore to play B+.

That's just reality.
Reality is subjective and isnt always the same for everyone.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm from MD/VA, I prefer Brawl+ over Brawl. Get at me.

And I'm coming to this.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Brawl also sucks, but at least there's ten million times the amount of money to win and the scene is actually extremely active.
There is no need to compete just move your date. Be the bigger man(woman?). The Brawl+ scene is extremely active, you're going to have to clarify what you mean by that.

If money is enough to make you stand behind a game you don't like that makes you a sell out by definition. Why not be a part of a game that has the ability to get better and grow? If it's about the money you don't have answer my last question.

Have you ever heard the saying "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"? This is like that saying except you use your fingers to do it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Chibo, your logic really astonishes me sometimes.

Either that, or your R.O.B.'s AI chip is helping you out.
At first I wasn't sure if this was good or not, especially when I re-read my post and realized the amount of typos in it lol (I said Inui did care about Real Pimps instead of didn't but it was obvious either way). But na I know what ya mean. ROB's AI chip is pretty ballin.

Real Pimps Use Gimps...was being hosted by Tbagz at a horrible venue and the event had absolutely no hype; it didn't matter.

You shouldn't be hosting an event that can hurt another viable event on the same day. I had November 14th first. Plenty of people play both games and will be torn now and we'll hurt each other's attendance a bit. My event is featuring DugFinn and Xyro, two elite hosts from Texas and Xyro is even the best Samus in the nation. Wtf @ people NOT wanting to go to my event. Everyone that plays Smash at all should want to go.

Tbagz is a nobody. You aren't. We shouldn't be clashing with each other. Your sense as a host...is almost nonexistant now. Look at the other comments being posted. >_>;
First off, you really shouldn't put down TBagz. We should be willing to help out new TOs to get a nice fresh air of new tournaments instead of constantly traveling to the same tourneys hosted by the same TOs with the same rules and same locations.

Second, it's the communities fault for not hyping up TBagz's tourney, he had his tourney confirmed months before yours, and if you read the OP, he wanted it big, he wanted everyone to be there. I had a blast at the tourney. It ran crazy fast (part of the fact being a TO that didn't enter the tourney (the bracket was ran by one of TBagz friends, not himself), and everyone there was extremely nice and polite, compared to half of the players I would have had to deal with at your tourney.

Who cares if you're featuring DugFinn and Xyro. I really doubt many people care that DugFinn will be there besides you. Xyro's awesome, but I'm going to WHOBO2 so I'll survive if I don't meet him then. And I don't get the Samus comment, there's like two Samus', Xyro and Rhyme. I don't need to go to watch a big MM against them with two low tier characters doing nothing but zair'ing each other. Boring. I don't care about Brawl Samus, I'm a MELEE Samus. The two characters are completely different. Have anyone who enjoys Xyro or Rhymes Samus to watch any of my good Melee videos, and they will be infinitely more enjoyed.

Your tourney is nothing special. It's a standard Brawl event. You have hosted TONS of these. Beyond the Limit 2 is a special event, the first MAJOR Brawl+ event since the first BtL, which got out of region attendance for a Brawl+ only event.

Flat out saying it's all about the money is NOT the mentality people should have when it comes to the community. This is being ignorant, not standing in what you believe in, and is pretty self-centric. I play Brawl because I enjoy Brawl. I play Melee because I enjoy Melee. I play Brawl+ because I enjoy Brawl+. As a result, I enter and host tournaments for all three games.

EDIT:

I'm glad you said this: "You make these people sound more like numbers than actual players imo."

I enjoy Brawl and Melee more than Brawl+. That doesn't mean I dislike Brawl+, I still play it all the time. However, the community loved BtL. I promised everyone a BtL2. Everyone has been asking for months when it will be. Part of the reason I'm doing this is for the community. If I wanted numbers, I would hold a large regional Melee or Brawl event.

Good ****, fight the powah!

None of whom are hardcore Brawl+ers. I don't think BtL is actually losing anyone from MD/VA because of your tourney. All the people going to yours probably would've ended up going to the local MD/VA tourney that weekend anyway.

Stay strong Mr. Sempai.
And stay strong I shall.

That's just reality.
You don't have Melee on the side. You might have a friendly setup or two, but show me the last time you held a Melee side event.

Correction, Brawl+ is convenient enough for anyone to install. There are programs that automatically download every file you need into all of the appropriate files on your SD card. You can even play Brawl+ now without any modification to your Wii at all, so I can go buy a Wii from the store, play Brawl+ on it, and when I'm done it will not be different at all. No homebrew channel, no trace of hacks, anything.

Additionally, for this tourney I will have a bunch of SD cards of my own (I'm hoping for like 10) with all of the files already on them ready to go, and will personally (or have another host do it with me) load Brawl+ on every Wii so the attendees don't have to do any work, and to assure that no extra unknown hacks are applied and only tourney approved textures are used (in this case, team textures).

It's the RC I believe we talked about awhile ago (release candidate). It'll sit for some months while other stuff is worked on and then anything wrong will be changed along with the stuff we would be working on during that time, thus getting to Gold 1 or w/e. :p

But, you could keep the topic title if you want to, making it clear though would be better though. :p

It's funny, I thought we've said several times decades ago that Brawl+ isn't trying to become the standard and take over Brawl. That's BALANCED BRAWL you should be giving that crap to. But wait, that doesn't matter either because there is a way to use both things without having the Homebrew Chanel on your Wii.

But that isn't even the point either. The point is that Brawl+ isn't trying to become a new standard, aka "taking over Brawl". For the umpteenth time I have told people, it is it's own thing.
Ah ok I know what ya mean. I'll make it clear in the OP. But yup, this is a clear achievement for Brawl+ and is still a staple feature of this tourney imo.

Yea it's funny, I thought people would have realized by now that Brawl+ is not a replacement for anything...

I'm from MD/VA, I prefer Brawl+ over Brawl. Get at me.

And I'm coming to this.
You sir, are awesome.

Fight the power.

---

In other news, I'm going to see if I can set up online pre-reg tonight. If not tonight, then very soon (in the next couple of days). Not only will it hype up the tourney even more, but I need some of the venue fee $ early to purchase the SD cards to have them before the event. There will likely be some sort of discount for pre-registering online.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Who cares if you're featuring DugFinn and Xyro. I really doubt many people care that DugFinn will be there besides you. Xyro's awesome, but I'm going to WHOBO2 so I'll survive if I don't meet him then. And I don't get the Samus comment, there's like two Samus', Xyro and Rhyme. I don't need to go to watch a big MM against them with two low tier characters doing nothing but zair'ing each other. Boring. I don't care about Brawl Samus, I'm a MELEE Samus. The two characters are completely different. Have anyone who enjoys Xyro or Rhymes Samus to watch any of my good Melee videos, and they will be infinitely more enjoyed.
In

b4

AC

Inui

Banned via Warnings
First off, you really shouldn't put down TBagz. We should be willing to help out new TOs to get a nice fresh air of new tournaments instead of constantly traveling to the same tourneys hosted by the same TOs with the same rules and same locations.

That child brings it upon himself with his cocky, e-thug attitude backed by nothing. He's inactive as hell and contributes nothing.

Second, it's the communities fault for not hyping up TBagz's tourney, he had his tourney confirmed months before yours, and if you read the OP, he wanted it big, he wanted everyone to be there. I had a blast at the tourney. It ran crazy fast (part of the fact being a TO that didn't enter the tourney (the bracket was ran by one of TBagz friends, not himself), and everyone there was extremely nice and polite, compared to half of the players I would have had to deal with at your tourney.

Tbagz doesn't have the type of status to get hype for events. He destroyed that on his own. I didn't even know about his event and I pay attention to everything and lead the state. That's how little hype he had.

The tournament only ran quickly because nobody was there. It doesn't matter if hosts enter their own events if they have a very solid team to make up for it, which I do.

What foolishness is this? Anybody that has met DugFinn before or heard of her greatness would love to meet her in person. Xyro is Texas's best host and the best Brawl Samus in the nation. There are other Samus players besides Rhyme and Xyro, so your comment shows your ignorance. Your Melee videos are not as awesome as Xyro's videos.

Your tourney is nothing special. It's a standard Brawl event. You have hosted TONS of these. Beyond the Limit 2 is a special event, the first MAJOR Brawl+ event since the first BtL, which got out of region attendance for a Brawl+ only event.

Wrong! Xyro and DugFinn coming makes it a special event, and it's not a standard Brawl event. Standard Brawl events typically don't have full low tier tournaments. Featuring out of region celebrities as co-hosts and players makes the event not standard by default.

Your Brawl+ event may be special in your eyes, but Brawl+ is tiny and can never become a standard or much bigger than it is already, meaning your event isn't that special due to the game being played. It will briefly satisfy a small group of players, nothing more. That is the harsh bitterness of reality, as dark as the coffee in my mug!

Flat out saying it's all about the money is NOT the mentality people should have when it comes to the community. This is being ignorant, not standing in what you believe in, and is pretty self-centric. I play Brawl because I enjoy Brawl. I play Melee because I enjoy Melee. I play Brawl+ because I enjoy Brawl+. As a result, I enter and host tournaments for all three games.

It was never stated that it is all about the money. Tournament hosts want big numbers for their attendance. Those using Smash as a source of income need to make money off of it. More players means more money. Fun and passion are obviously factors...but a real host is always concerned over numbers and finances.

You don't have Melee on the side. You might have a friendly setup or two, but show me the last time you held a Melee side event.

That is up to the players to make happen. Melee is NOT alive enough in general for a Melee side event to just happen, especially in NJ. The Melee players aren't coming to my events. I told Scar that I would host Melee if he and Melee people showed up with set-ups, but he made some ridiculous comment about me hosting Melee events being worthless or something along those lines. The foolishness of Scar and others killed the chances of me making Melee official.

Correction, Brawl+ is convenient enough for anyone to install. There are programs that automatically download every file you need into all of the appropriate files on your SD card. You can even play Brawl+ now without any modification to your Wii at all, so I can go buy a Wii from the store, play Brawl+ on it, and when I'm done it will not be different at all. No homebrew channel, no trace of hacks, anything.
And yet...so few people have done this, and people like me have no interest in doing it. Some people can't even get their Wii online (like me), some people don't have SD cards, some people don't know how to do this because they are not tech savvy like we are.

Additionally, for this tourney I will have a bunch of SD cards of my own (I'm hoping for like 10) with all of the files already on them ready to go, and will personally (or have another host do it with me) load Brawl+ on every Wii so the attendees don't have to do any work, and to assure that no extra unknown hacks are applied and only tourney approved textures are used (in this case, team textures).

This could actually make it possible to make Brawl+ events easier to make happen, so I stand corrected...

zxeon

Smash Lord
I forgot why you're here as good a reason as any to ignore that guy. I'm hyped now I'm considering going but it's ten hours from Indianapolis.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
And yet...so few people have done this, and people like me have no interest in doing it. Some people can't even get their Wii online (like me), some people don't have SD cards, some people don't know how to do this because they are not tech savvy like we are.

This could actually make it possible to make Brawl+ events easier to make happen, so I stand corrected...
The sheer ease of setting up Brawl+ is one of the primary reasons why Jake is making it a main event at ECRC5.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Why are people taunting themselves as not attending in this thread. Sure we're all glad to see your interested or at least were interested in coming. But coming in and bashing a game, in which you are not an active part of the community helps and solves nothing.

Date is done, can't be changed, so make your decision about which you feel you should go to.
If you hold Brawl in a higher regard to this you should go to Inui's event, which is most likely going to be an awesome Brawl event for the region.
If you want to come to a awesome Brawl+ tourney(which there are few) then awesome, try to make your way here.
Arguments with no goals achieve nothing, if people haven't noticed.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i had asked kevinm to. i didnt get a reply, but i would assume he did it. BtL is the largest brawl+ tourney series and not to mention TO5 was still stickied and that tourneys over, so it seemed like an appropriate replacement.

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
I dorm within walking distance of this.

I am coming. Hands down. 100%. Confirmed yes. I will have a partner with me too. It may take a tad bit of convincing, but me and him with both be there for singles and doubles. =) I cant waiiiiiiiiiiit.

I think I'm gonna make a flier and post this around the college / University City if people don't mind~

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I dorm within walking distance of this.

I am coming. Hands down. 100%. Confirmed yes. I will have a partner with me too. It may take a tad bit of convincing, but me and him with both be there for singles and doubles. =) I cant waiiiiiiiiiiit.

I think I'm gonna make a flier and post this around the college / University City if people don't mind~
Awesome! post it everywhere

Where do you go to school? upenn? drexel? I go to drexel

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
Yo, my friend is Woahhzz and he says he's in.

I go to University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, right next to UPenn. This is good stuff man. I'm so excited.

The Cape

Smash Master
Chibo. You da man on this event. What will you do for housing and parking and the like as thats important stuff in a place like Philly. Consider the armory for a place to park if you can get the ability to rent it? Drexel owns it and you may be able to pull off all that parking (and use the rest of the floor for camping out)

WOOT!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The armory is off limits for now. They've been filming a movie on campus (like a big time movie, Owen Wilsons been on campus for a while now lol) and the whole bottom part of the armory has been turned into like a movie set. However Drexel told me that when they are done I will be able to start renting it out (wow imagine tourneys in there!).

I'll look into the parking situation but housing is what it normally is. I might be living on campus (not sure yet) so if so I'll be able to house a couple of people. Maybe Cactuar won't mind dumping some ppl in his basement for a few bucks lol. Other than that, find out who is in the area and ask around. I'll formally ask some people and get a list going in a little bit.

Top Bottom