• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing Your Starter: IKE take TWO

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
He probably didn't. Yes, all three pokemon can be CGed across the stage, sadly.

Vermy

Smash Champion
And that's why playing squirtles "hit and run" style works best in this match up. It forces the opponent not to rely on grabs to get damage. Instead they have to use everything else. So by the time they CAN grab you, you can just nair out =)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
And that's why playing squirtles "hit and run" style works best in this match up. It forces the opponent not to rely on grabs to get damage. Instead they have to use everything else. So by the time they CAN grab you, you can just nair out =)
Which matchup? Bowser? While Squirtle can play fast and loose with Bowser to a degree, don't undersell Bowser's ability to catch characters that are smaller and quicker than him. Again, it's what he's based around. :laugh:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
well all 3 are still great against bowser. they all can rack up damage on him easily and gives you the flexible option of switching. even though Squirtle I guess wont kill often, or I should say as quickly, he can rack up damage quickly for a switch to ivy. then Ivy can finish it. same for Ivy, BS and nair combos can do the job then Charz can finish the stock if you dont wana finish with IVy. Charz can take so much punishment it really doesnt matter. however if that case comes where he dies, i would say 95% of the time bowser will be at a high % so when you switch to squirtle, if it was me, I'd d-throw asap and then switch to ivy.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Since we all seem to be in a consensus about this match-up, we could probably summarize and move on now rather than wait. If we need to add something later on, we can always come back to it.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Since we all seem to be in a consensus about this match-up, we could probably summarize and move on now rather than wait. If we need to add something later on, we can always come back to it.
yeah. I'll do that. You make a good point.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Begining of Cpt. Falcon Discussion

ok guys so I put up as best of a summary as I could for all three, now lets get onto falcon.

GO!GO!GO!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm not sure those are the most accurate summaries of what's been discussed so far, Bomber. You failed to mention Squirtle's up tilt lock on Bowser (which is instrumental as a reason for starting him against Bowser), and every little was mentioned about Charizard's spacing, to say nothing of his Rock Smash and better mobility.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
didnt know squirtle had an u-tilt lock on bowser ill add that. I'll add more to charz's summary.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
well anyways onto Flacon. Once again, we have all 3 up for starting. anyone agree with that? I'm a little iffy as to who. I kinda wana lean more to ivy and charz than squirtle, even though squirtle can match flacons speed and since he is small, he would be a bit of a hard target.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
The thread title still says Bowser on it.

Squirtle used to be considered disadvantaged against Falcon, but his air speed and poking ability simply put up too good of a fight against him. Squirtle is almost entirely safe and in no real danger against Falcon when he plays patiently and takes his time. He'll have to go slower than the other two, but he's also much less susceptible to juggles (such as Falcon has), so it's a fair trade.

Ivysaur is in a good position all-around, as well. Falcon is a heavier character AND one that needs to fight up close, so half of Ivysaur's battle is fought for him right there. Just be wary of early edge guard attempts, don't get cocky and try to rush him, and don't underestimate him.

Charizard is a great choice against Falcon for obvious reasons. Falcon pretty much HAS TO put himself directly in danger of Charizard's deadliest, most damaging attacks. In addition, hes also very susceptible to Charizard's forward air edge guarding, so he's got that going for him, too. Charizard would be the all-out favorite in this match going in if he weren't such a big, heavy target for Falcon to juggle and tag with several small hits in the early going. As with the others, don't go in assuming that the fight will be a cinch to win, because you're just asking to be embarrassed if you do.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
fair summation Orion. and yes you are right, never underestemate a falcon player >.>

everything you said makes since. definatly putting in that into the summary when ever this discussion is closed.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I think you should strat with ivy, her range is a nightmare for falcon, and switch to charizard at high percent can make you live forever :D

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I really feel comfortable starting with any of the Pokemon versus Captain Falcon, even Charizard. Ivysaur lead feels most natural to me since I use it most often, but Squirtle works too.

Squirtle can jab out of his jabs, I believe.

T-block

B2B TST
IIRC Squirtle has a good u-tilt lock on Falcon too, so with the points above, I think I'd take Squirtle to start against Falcon. Plus, fire resist lolol

DemonFart

Smash Lord
IIRC Squirtle has a good u-tilt lock on Falcon too, so with the points above, I think I'd take Squirtle to start against Falcon. Plus, fire resist lolol
unless its on bridge of eldin where falcon can grab release squirt into the vertical blast zone.

i have to agree with retro here,i'd start with any pokemon in this matchup.unless...its BOE

:094:

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I feel that Ivysaur is the best starter against Falcon. You can safely rack up damage as your attacks just outranging Falcon's. Razor Leaf is also annoying to him.

once you switch to Charizard, it gets worse for him.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
I feel that Ivysaur is the best starter against Falcon. You can safely rack up damage as your attacks just outranging Falcon's. Razor Leaf is also annoying to him.

once you switch to Charizard, it gets worser for him.
rocksmash and flamethrower pwn here.

if i had to choose...i would say...ivy. Really ,i just choose the actual pokemon trainer and not a single pokemon at the char select screen though.

for reasons said above

also im sorry but i cant take a falcon very seriously.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Well, it gets all fun until you get Falcon punched.

Being serious, Falcon has some qualities.

His Jab and aerial game is above average.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
Well, it gets all fun until you get Falcon punched.

Being serious, Falcon has some qualities.

His Jab and aerial game is above average.
jab->jab->up B/grab hurts us.

grab release on squirt hurts us.

kneeing zard isnt that hard for him

neither is gimping ivy.

Vermy

Smash Champion
also im sorry but i cant take a falcon very seriously.
A lot of people say that about PT. Dedication to a character will get you wins.

I agree with Ivy.
BS
Razorleaf
Jab
Dtilt
Bair

They will destroy the Good Captain.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I have to agree with Retro as well. All 3 do seem like a good choice. Squirtle has good labs and other good attacks that can give Falcon hell. Ivy can out range him so he has to approach so if you take advantage of that then falcon is screwed. also, I want to say if you wana prevent from being shorthopped and kneed, use rock smash. theres a joke me and my friend Redson have because he played falcon and I went PT and
when I sent you charz he started to spam his knee trying to sweet spot me. so when he got in close and short hopped to knee, I pulled my rock and he sweet spotted the rock and then he died. then I just randomly said "Congratz Red, you just kneed a boulder." it was funny, but point of the story is that I would say you could use rock smash as a good defense against being kneed and even being sweet spotted. though it has to be in the ti[p of the boulder where you can also do the most damage.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
No matter what Pokemon you choose against Falcon, your still going to get the upperhand either way. Keep in mind that Falcons specials are Fire type moves so they do deal extra damage against Ivysaur. Squirtle and Charizard can take Fire type moves all day.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Lol @ Jiggz picture BTW. XD It looks kinda ******** in the OP. XD

And @ Chompy: Weakness and resistance only effect knockback in Brawl. So Ivysaur's weakness will only give him more knockback.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
looks like Ivy is in favor most of all here. only minor draw back is the fire based attacks from falcon but thats minor as I said. I still think all 3 are good for starting. Squirltes speed and Charz/Ivys spacing abilities make it easy to start a match off good. Tomorrow, I think we will get onto the next person, who I totally forget who it is, and I will look on the OP as soon as I'm done doing this post.

Edit: It's ditty

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Bomber, you know I love ya man, but you've REALLY got to actually look through what's being said before you end up at a conclusion. It's pretty much unanimously agreed that all three of them are great starters against Falcon.

RjPunch

Smash Journeyman
Well as a Falcon player, your best bet is to start with Squirtle because he's small and fast. Bomber's Squirtle is a danger to anyone. Ivysaur's okay until you try to fight upclose. That's when Falcon tilts are the most troublesome. Charizard is powerful, but slow. Meaning Falcon would ****. But, all this is on the ground. The air is a different story.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well my charz is utter crap. I dont space well period. If I would space well, you'd be seeing more ****. Ivy can space and so can charz, as in its like holdingh you at arms legnth and you not touching me.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter who you pick against Falcon. I'm pretty sure they're all pretty **** decent against him, anyway.

Isn't everyone, I mean? Falcon has no good matchups. I'm not saying to get cocky or anything, because there are some insanely pro Falcons out there, but come on. Don't worry so much about starter, and go about your usual strategy, and you should be fine.

Amirite?

/lurk

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Next Character: FITTY KONG! GOGOGO!

ok out of laziness and out of poor typing skills and lack of attention I'm keeping Fitty Kong on there.

but yeah Ditty/Fitty Kong is our next character.

On the chart it says squirtle is the best option to start.

thinking of all three. I would totally agree with this. Ditty kong is one of my worst match ups for a few reasons, like my lack of fighting them which breaks down to may different things but over all its for the fact that you need to be able to keep up with Fitty's agility and Squirtle is the only one of the 3 who can do it. Sure Ivy and Charz are powerful and somewhat mobile, but Ditty will do some serious damage before you can lay a hand on him.
This would probably be the best match up for guerrilla tactics. Hit and run with squirtle, finish
with Ivysaur and switch to Charizard, space with flamethrower, rack some damage and then switch/sacrifice Squirtle for the greater good and back to ivy again. Soemthing like that. Switching would be important here. Though I'm losing myself, point is you need to start with someone who can keep up with ditty, squirtle from just observation, can do that.

Any other comments to add? I know my debating/explanation abilities are VERY flawed. 'll get better in time. (sorry Orion, still a n00b to froums lol, no johns for me)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Be sure to change the topic title. Also you need to add the start bracket to Squirtle's color on Falcon's description. This next one ought to be a very good one to discuss. :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
o wow. thanks for reminding me. I had that on my mind but forgot lol. I'm multitasking way too much today. >.> with uploading videos to youtube and talking with a friend and tbhis, o god >.> <.< <.> >,<

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Why fitty... or ditty??? i dont get it :/
Anyway, i agree on starting with squirtle, hes pretty godd catching bananas with aerials and glide tossing :D... i wouldnt sacrifice squirtle

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Why fitty... or ditty??? i dont get it :/
Anyway, i agree on starting with squirtle, hes pretty godd catching bananas with aerials and glide tossing :D... i wouldnt sacrifice squirtle
obviously did see my previous post above. but I'll tell you. my typing is horrible and I make little typh-os (lol did that on purpose) and I hit F instead of D, so out of laziness and humor I kept it that way.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
dude i would use squirtle as much as i ****ing can in this matchup. diddy's lack of aerial mobility really shows in that matchup and gives you the edge. plus you can do better stuff out of a glide toss than he can, imo.

Top Bottom