• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
We gonna do an alt location for XXX? (Praying for LB's here, loved that place.) If you guys need any help running/setting up, I'm more than happy to help out.

--UnderWing

**Havok**

Smash Lord
I Ban Patrick from ever appearing near us. K thx. Bye.

Anyways onto MUCH more important matters, this past weekend will have counted as CV 29.1, the next one will be 29.2 cuz you see im trying to delay the inevitable 30 as much as possible.

For the 30th CV im going to try to get La Bellas again.

Oh as for my great idea of yesterday I was thinking of at weeklies/ smashfests getting someone to sit down with each, if not most of the SD PR people that wants to get better. Play with us and then we all give our 2 cents to the person, things to keep in mind etc. Reason being, I can write out lengthy explanations about why a mix up game has to be random and unpredictable blah blah but that doesn't beat explanations when playing at the same time, to teach someone directly rather than indirectly.

Get my drift?

That way we'll try to improve a person by teaching them our own personal strengths and create some kind of SD monster.

I see a lot of people playing friendlies but how many of you are playing with the Intent of getting better? I don't hear a lot of people asking for advice.

What do you guys think?

JaggerG

Smash Apprentice
I realize I need to break some bad habits of mine, and setting some good habits to replace them.

But yeah, I should have asked more questions Sunday, but I almost passed out from the heat after I got back. My car's AC is broken. :^(

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
So basically like a tutoring sort of thing? The word "tutoring" sounds kinda gimpy but that's what I'm likening it to. It's a pretty good idea, I think. =)

I'm preparing for the inevitable MK ban so I could use a few pointers on how to actually play well. =P

Corrupted Mind

Smash Cadet

Anyways onto MUCH more important matters, this past weekend will have counted as CV 29.1, the next one will be 29.2 cuz you see im trying to delay the inevitable 30 as much as possible.

For the 30th CV im going to try to get La Bellas again.

Oh as for my great idea of yesterday I was thinking of at weeklies/ smashfests getting someone to sit down with each, if not most of the SD PR people that wants to get better. Play with us and then we all give our 2 cents to the person, things to keep in mind etc. Reason being, I can write out lengthy explanations about why a mix up game has to be random and unpredictable blah blah but that doesn't beat explanations when playing at the same time, to teach someone directly rather than indirectly.

Get my drift?

That way we'll try to improve a person by teaching them our own personal strengths and create some kind of SD monster.

I see a lot of people playing friendlies but how many of you are playing with the Intent of getting better? I don't hear a lot of people asking for advice.

What do you guys think?
I think thats a great idea. I cant speak for anyone else but i think would help out a lot.

And Nyjin- Id be willing to take advice lol as long as your not too cocky about it XD

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
although I'm usually all for pissing on and around Nyjin like a truck-stop toilet seat, but the boy is smart enough to give half-decent advise.

D

Deleted member

Even tho im currently on PR, id like to get advice from someone better than me too :)
I suck and i need to improve, and ive never really gotten anyone to formally help me improve (besides TKD helping me learn meta knight way back when XD).

Awex

Smash Lord
I like the idea. Problem is, I don't take most friendlies seriously at all. >>;

But I'd be willing to to help train SD players. =)

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
Problem is, I don't take most friendlies seriously at all. >>;
I like the idea, Havok, but this *is* the problem we face with trying to learn from friendlies -- they're not taken seriously enough to always be able to get useful data from. You ask "how can I improve my play?" to someone you play in a casual friendly, and you get back a bunch of stuff you do differently when in tournament. That's why I like the AM bracket idea, and I do think that a "tutoring" environment could help too. It'll be nice to play around with the idea.

--UnderWing

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea. Problem is, I don't take most friendlies seriously at all. >>;

But I'd be willing to to help train SD players. =)
Thats awesome, you can help me play olimar bet-.... wait, no, we already tried that. It didnt work super well. dang.

Awex

Smash Lord
Geo, I'm better now than the last time I tried to give you advice. ;p

Underwing: It's not hard to play a little more seriously if your focus is training though, it just kind of has to be discussed before you start playing. (None of that "quit sandbagging" mid-match shiz.)

So if I read Havok's post right.. SD power rankers will like sit at a TV for people to come play them? Something like that?

Everyone drop by the Awex aka grab spam TV. Olimar, Dedede or Snow Babies, pick (and grab) your poison. :p

FIERCE

Smash Journeyman
I could help Gibby since our mains are similar but our play styles are so different. It's going to be a difficult task - difficult but doable I assume. I don't really know how to help many other ZSS's but I know how to tell people how to beat them & seeing as how people who main her are few & far between I might as well be explain it in plain Isengardian.

Awex

Smash Lord
Noting the Pat's smashfests thread title.. Holy ****, who has a pool? We need a pool party/smashfest while the weather is still hot.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Hall - Mullet, because I'm used to it and it makes you sexy :p

In all honesty, I can be serious/mature if called to it. Next week I will be done with speech (competitively) until the next school year, for obvious reasons. I'll probably be working on my speeches for the next year, but when that time comes I can focus on Smash alot more.

List of what I can offer if need be:

1. Falco advice. I know a few tricks/mindgames/match-ups pretty well, although people don't really know it because I usually just joke around and say "Lasers and Chaingrab alot." Larry has taught me alot, along with a few unique things that I only do/know.

2. Ike advice.
Anyone scared of facing an Ike or want to pick him up as a secondary? (I doubt people will want to main him...but if you do more power to you). I'll demystify the game's Juggernaut Whose Oh Too Gimpable.

3. General advice, of course.
I've dabbled around with alot of characters as potential mains all through my smash career, such as Sonic/Wolf/Wario and a few others. I also have a few secondaries who I have some knowledge with. In addition, I've played countless of the more experienced players and can offer good insight into match-ups.

I'm not saying I'm some sort of "Smash Guru." I'm nowhere near "Pro" status, however I do have some decent experience and skill (All cockiness aside). My aid is for all of San Diego, should they request it of me. :)

Pheonix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrostboltPhoenix
From what i`ve read this whole Am. Bracket thing sounds really good. Shame it didnt do so well though. Better luck next time
I hope i`ll be able to come to the next weekly, i miss you guys quite a lot and it`d be great to catch up and see you all again.
I got a haircut (real short) and i havent really played brawl for over a month lol

Anyways im done with my random words, until the next SD/CV Weekly!

JaggerG

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty much getting all my Link-specific advice from the Link mains online, but I'm sure I could use some more general advice. Can you guys possibly record some of the tournament matches so players can see themselves play from an outsider's perspective? It might help to notice things you should or shouldn't have done that you didn't think about during the actual match. Also, it can help to get a more accurate mental gauge on areas you need to improve on, such as spacing, stage control, timing and coordination, etcetera.

I got a replay of an online match that had me bomb myself like three consecutive times trying to Z Aerial Catch my bombs, so I obviously need to get better at timing my drops and aerials. I also spent a friendly match today seeing if I can learn a double-B-reversal bounce. I got three-stocked, but at least I got a bit better at it. It's just ATs that only slightly help sometimes, but there are much tougher tricks that are leagues more useful, such as infinite locks, that although can't be infinite due to stage bans, can at least lead to at least very high %s. To get this against a Lvl9 is a pretty big step, but it's not that great if it can't be done on a human opponent.

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
I defiantly agree with the recorded matches thing. You notice A TON of stuff when watching that you dont when you are playing. I really noticed that in melee when i was playing marth, because I always alternated between rolling back onto the stage and attacking back onto the stage (the ledge A attack), so i was able to fix that and mix it up more, making my recovery game much better

ajsmith401

Smash Apprentice
So...what's the plan for CV XXX?

I hope it's big, and we get a higher turnout of non-local players besides DSF, Tyrant, Nezumi, and Haze. They seem to be the ones that show up frequently.

We need a guest appearance by Ken, and maybe the return of Ajax!

I'll be making my return come May, WITH my new teammate, TKD =) See y'all soon, I'm coming back! YAY for me! =)

PKSkyler

Smash Lord

2. Ike advice.
Anyone scared of facing an Ike or want to pick him up as a secondary? (I doubt people will want to main him...but if you do more power to you). I'll demystify the game's Juggernaut Whose Oh Too Gimpable.

I used to be pretty good with ike when I first played Brawl...in fact I mained him and secondaried Ness. Hmmm...well maybe you could help me out, if i become interested in secondarying him again?

FORTUNANTLY/UNFORTUNANTLY

I got a job...but its on sundays. so now ill like...NEVER be able to come to the weeklys...sad, isnt it.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Ah, that sucks Skyler. Maybe start going to out-of-town tournaments with us. :p

I'll be happy to give you Ike advice, since you know....my Ike is ****. (****, what a cocky little freak!)

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
I'll go to give Nyjin advice =)

post results on AiB, por favor? I want that medal d^____^b

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Ah, that sucks Skyler. Maybe start going to out-of-town tournaments with us. :p

I'll be happy to give you Ike advice, since you know....my Ike is ****. (****, what a cocky little freak!)
Im 16 now, maybe my parents will be a little more leniant.

I wasnt half bad when i mained Ike, ya know >.<

COCKY LITTLE FREAKS!

FIERCE

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what the setup will be for 3-man crews?

Oh yeah & I might be staying in West Hollywood Saturday night but I believe Awex arranged housing for everyone else at Samuelsons?

Rickety

Peace and Love
Bluish

Hey there, fellow smash brothers!

Um, party? Is there any room left for little ol' me?

Brawl sucks. GG
I hear party, but all I see is some whack Ganondorf who ain't got so much as a clue.
Like school on a Saturday?
C'mon, someone complete it for me. . .

(I'm just kidding, I love ya', Patrick, but . . .
Oh snap!)

---

Hey! It's Chill/Abortion Doc/Joey! Hi :]

---

Hi smashers.

What's this I hear about a doubles tournament in Temecula tonight?

Is this true?

Top Bottom