• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah i just noticed it filming my last little vid.

when i left link on the left side of the stage, the tree would only blow to the left, and when i left him on the right side of the stage, the wind would only blow to the right. i ASSUME that if theres two players on the screen and they stay on one side of the map, the wind will only blow towards them, but i'm too lazy to test.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I did a bit of testing on it for you :)

So when there is 1 player it always blow towards the players side.

When there are two, 1 player on each side it blows randomly I guess.
When there are two, 2 players on one side it always blow to that side.

Also, if one player stands on the top platform in the middle he isnt counted and it blows one way. But if he teeters to either side he can be seen and it resumes the random.

The top platform also isnt effected by wind. and because the tree is slightly to the left the wind effect area is larger on the right side.

Im not sure if its a random pattern or just random. The first time I got x2 L, x2R. Second and third time it was just weird ****.

Let It Riot

Smash Cadet
I did a bit of testing on it for you :)

So when there is 1 player it always blow towards the players side.

When there are two, 1 player on each side it blows randomly I guess.
When there are two, 2 players on one side it always blow to that side.

Also, if one player stands on the top platform in the middle he isnt counted and it blows one way. But if he teeters to either side he can be seen and it resumes the random.

The top platform also isnt effected by wind. and because the tree is slightly to the left the wind effect area is larger on the right side.

Im not sure if its a random pattern or just random. The first time I got x2 L, x2R. Second and third time it was just weird ****.
Ok this actually intrigued me, so I did some testing of my own using the single player glitch.

what I did was I stood in the dead center of the stage, and saw what happened.

What I observed was that the tree would constantly have the wind blow to the left, yet I would not move. I was playing as fox if that is relevant. Also I'm not sure if this is something original but I thought it was something that was pretty cool.

If someone could recreate this and confirm, I would appreciate it. Furthermore I'm not sure if the tree is just blowing to the left because that was the last direction it blew prior to me placing the character in the dead center and it since it is not ambiguous as to which side I am on it continues to blow in that direction.

Edit: I went into the center again after moving to the right, the tree began to blow to the left only after I walked into the middle of the stage (note when I say middle I mean on the ground not on a platform).

Edit #2: I am not sure how large this "middle ground" is, but it seems to be a couple of steps as fox, so it need not be pixel prefect (unless I have managed to place myself correctly by guesswork exactly each time).

Edit#3: Kaostar, I tested the wind when standing on the top platform, and it blew according to which side I was standing on, regardless of teetering it would switch if I crossed to either the right or the left side. That is to say if I was standing on the right side it blew to the right and vice versa for the left. (1 player mode)

Edit#4: I tested out the idea that when one player is on the top platform, and another is on one side of the stage, the wind blows in that direction, I did not find that correlation, what I found was that the player on the top platform was still counted as if he were on the ground, that is to say if he was on the right part of the platform and the other player was also on the right side of the whole stage, the wind would blow right, and vice versa for the left. If the player on the platform was on the left side and the other player is on the right side, it will blow in a random direction.

I'm also using version 1.2 if that could have any effect on DL64.

---------

Another thing that I "think I found" is an oddity with fox's taunting. When fox is on the edge of a platform, and is teetering, and you taunt, afterwards you will be in a standing position. Taunt again as fox and you will remain in a standing position. Taunt a third time and you will be teetering after you are finished taunting.

I can also confirm that this works for sheik, only in iterations of 4 instead of 3.

I tested this on the rest of the cast up to about 7 or so taunts, no other characters had this trait besides sheik and fox.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Lol sounds like its just ****ing inconsistent. I never tested single player at the top of the platform though.

It could have been just random coincidence fooling me. When I had falcon stand on the top platform and falco on the ground the tree always blew to his side. It wasnt until I had falcon teetering did it switch back to random.

But I am thinking it just happened to blow 3 times in a row to one side and maybe would have switched had I waited longer.

The most Ive seen the tree blow to one side with a character on each side of the stage was 6 consecutive blow Jays in one direction. There were a bunch of 4s and a few 3, then it was pretty much R, L and then it would double one of them and switc back.

That tree is ****ing stupid anyway lol.

Edit:the first time I tried it with a falco and falcon I got twice right twice left with each player to a seperate side. and it was this consistently but I couldnt recreate it.

Kinda cool about the fox taunt thing, Ill try it out just to see.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
So um... there are apparently 4 distinct levels of holding down?
Holding down all the way results in you crouching, pressing A will dtilt and B will downB.
Then if you move the control stick towards neutral to the exact spot where you stop crouching, you will still dtilt and downB.
Then if you move it just a bit above that, you will still dtilt, but the B button doesn't do anything.
Then between that really exact, touchy, useless spot and neutral, A will dtilt and B will neutralB.

What a weird game.

Oh, also those first two levels of "down" will make you drop through platforms, but the latter two will not.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Correct. Your character will stand, down tilt if you press A, but won't do anything if you press B. Like I said, though, it's a very touchy spot to get.
Also this seems to be the lowest spot on the control stick where you won't fall through a platform. The "standing but A=dtilt B=downB" spot will still make you fall through.

P has nothing to do with what i said, its not just P that thinks that. having that many posts and haveing so little of them mean anything makes you look pretty bad, just sayin

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
if you want to dash in the opposite direction that youre facing you need to move the stick from the neutral position to the dash position in 1 frame or else you will suffer from a stupid turn around animation that takes like 6 frames

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
P has nothing to do with what i said, its not just P that thinks that. having that many posts and haveing so little of them mean anything makes you look pretty bad, just sayin
Only some posts are like that. Alot of them are legitimate questions,answers, and info, some are just talking to ppl. And some are actually worthless, Im not denying that Im not the best poster in the world lol. Just saying that I do in fact contribute fairly often vs "worthless spam" as you suggest. When P said it, it was actually the majority of my posts, specifically in the CA threads, for no real reason at all.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
can someone check this out?

it seems as though when ganon taunts, his hurt-box is off the floor. i had to get peach's d-smash closer to ganon to hit him.

also, ganon's taunt lifts peach's hair up-wards just like how corneria lifts hers up also.

MT_

Smash Ace
So um... there are apparently 4 distinct levels of holding down?
Holding down all the way results in you crouching, pressing A will dtilt and B will downB.
Then if you move the control stick towards neutral to the exact spot where you stop crouching, you will still dtilt and downB.
Then if you move it just a bit above that, you will still dtilt, but the B button doesn't do anything.
Then between that really exact, touchy, useless spot and neutral, A will dtilt and B will neutralB.

What a weird game.

Oh, also those first two levels of "down" will make you drop through platforms, but the latter two will not.
Interesting. This makes it hard to do down-b from a neutral position without falling through a platform, since you'd have to tilt instead of being able to slam down on the control stick like normal.

BunBun

Smash Master
can someone check this out?

it seems as though when ganon taunts, his hurt-box is off the floor. i had to get peach's d-smash closer to ganon to hit him.

also, ganon's taunt lifts peach's hair up-wards just like how corneria lifts hers up also.
Lol I knew the first part, but that swcod half is pretty amazing.

"Peach! Fear my bulge!"
*hair flies upwards* "Oh my!"

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
so the first 2 levels make you fall through the platform? so you can drop without crouching?
I'm talking about holding the control stick in that spot, not smashing. To drop through a platform from a standing position, you would normally smash the control stick down, which I'm pretty sure skips the crouching animation anyway(?). By "fall through a platform", I mean if you hold the control stick in that range, you won't be able to land on platforms, you'll just fall through.

X1-12

Smash Champion
YL is longest 200 frames

Captain Falcon / DK / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Pichu* / Pikachu* are all joint shortest 60 frames

* - Pikachu and Pichu's taunt actually lasts for 90 frames like with Zelda, but you can block after frame 60 so I counted it as 60

ripped from M2k statistics

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
JC shine (Jump Cancel shine) is basically Shine>Jump > Shine (Before you actually get off the ground) repeat. I think Fox has 4 frames until he gets in the air, so you have to be that fast, and I think alco's is 6? not exactly sure.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
When your on the ledge and you hit L or R (You roll onto the ledge) the game THINKS your still on the ledge, but your not, this is why many people do that when someone is trying to recover.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Dude, just make one post lol.
.Mewtwo falls a bit slower while doing disable, similar to Sheik transforming into Zelda while falling.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
JC shine (Jump Cancel shine) is basically Shine>Jump > Shine (Before you actually get off the ground) repeat. I think Fox has 4 frames until he gets in the air, so you have to be that fast, and I think alco's is 6? not exactly sure.
this is actually false. what happens is you shine the first frame you are in the air and then your hitbox distorts a little bit so you are immediately grounded again. and most people know this. and most people know the thing about rollin gonto the ledge, too.

Top Bottom