• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

Kosine

Smash Cadet
probably pretty well known and i know shiz made a thread about it a while back, but jumping out of shine with the control stick is a lot easier/faster for a lot of situations.

the best example i can think of is just shine backair w/ falco (downb -> up on control stick -> back on c-stick)

on a completely unrelated note, if you are fox and you upthrow your opponent onto a lower/side platform, and he rolls to the edge of the platform, you can full jump down air them. if they dont di or anything, you get a free grab on the platform, and if they di off the edge of the platform, you can edgecancel the down air on reaction, into a free backair. this is really useful imo, especially against spacies, because at that point you can easily just tech chase into a grab/upsmash or whatever.

edit:
another thing i like to do with fox is just weak neutral air -> turnaround uptilt -> upair against floaties at mid percent as a KO . im not entirely sure how DI dependent this is since i havent been playing people with good DI recently, but ive been able to pull it off pretty consistently.

edit2:
has anyone really researched the feasibility of shine jump canceled upsmash out of dash with fox? it seems like there are a lot of situations where this would be preferable to the standard jump canceled upsmash, since its extra damage, and they wouldnt be able to CC the upsmash due to the hitlag of the shine, and the shine comes out faster than the upsmash. the only potential drawback i can imagine is the fact that upsmash has more horizontal reach than shine (i think??), so maybe they could get their shield up in time if its out of a tech chase? however, the difference in range of the shine and the upsmash might be offset by the distance fox would travel in the few frames between when the shine would come out vs. when the upsmash would come out.

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
edit2:
has anyone really researched the feasibility of shine jump canceled upsmash out of dash with fox? it seems like there are a lot of situations where this would be preferable to the standard jump canceled upsmash,
Wombo Combo.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I think shine upsmash only works because you have momentum. If you jump cancel your shine from a dash or whatever, you will have 0 horizontal momentum going into the upsmash.

Its less reliable tho it may be possible.

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
I think shine upsmash only works because you have momentum. If you jump cancel your shine from a dash or whatever, you will have 0 horizontal momentum going into the upsmash.

Its less reliable tho it may be possible.
Shine upsmash only works if the target has momentum towards you, or you have momentum towards them.

Kosine

Smash Cadet
thats not true. dash shine jc upsmash will connect every time, at least in my experience. i could be wrong but i would think you would need AR to realistically ever DI out of that combo? i suppose thats another question... can a person DI out of that combo?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I just didn't think it would connect due to lack of momentum.

whats the button combination to dash shine up smash?

but if it does then its probably better.
- 1 frame attack lead in
- 2 more damage
- 3 shine is weaker than up smash so if it clanks you have a better chance at recovering faster.

Kosine

Smash Cadet
the way i do it is dash, downb, up on the control stick, up on the c stick

its extremely fast (think shine backair), and i dont think controller input speed is a problem in this situation.

edit: this probabaly belongs in fox boards or something, this is slightly off topic and this thread doesnt need any more derailing lol

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
that won't allow you to shine up smash from a dash.

the dash is the first part b4 you start running. you cannot shine during your dash.

you are referring to a shine>(jc) up smash or shine-up smash while running.

I thought you were talking about from a dash. people shine up smash all the time.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Kosine: try actually reading Kaostar's post before condescending to him. Generally you should save condescension for when you're right.

Pi

Smash Hero
Col bol does that all the time
It's really annoying >.>

You can nair -> dash shine upsmash

it works, it's feasible, and it adds like 5 more % before the upsmash

Basically kosine he is taking your words very literally

The actual 'dash' animation is set aside, in it's own category, from the 'running' animation.

There is the Dash/Dashing animation
Then it turns into the Run animation

Think Dash Dancing

It's the reason you can't just dash the other way after running accross FD

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
you have to dash cancel to shine.

you can't dash cancel during the initial dash (stupid name lol).

the only way to shine up smash from a dash is:

1 dash
2 jump (shine is 3 frames later b4 you leave the ground)
3 shine (jc shine)
4 jump (cancel shine)
5 up on c stick (jc up smash)

you lose all momentum from the jc shine.

Kosine

Smash Cadet
hmm i dont think i was wrong maybe just misunderstood?

if you are running with fox, you hit down b, and then up on control stick and up on cstick it does what i described.

i thought i mentioned that the shine makes u CC out of the dash?

edit: read kniht's post, yeah i meant out of the run, sorry if that was unclear

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
edit: I hadn't seen your edit, but I told you that you meant running in my 3rd post. you didn't read carefully.

edit2:
has anyone really researched the feasibility of shine jump canceled upsmash out of dash with fox?
you said this. I gave you my reasoning. idk if the up smash connects from dash.

but you were wrong in what you said. shining out of dash is a very different technique.

I told you b4 you caught an attitude that you mean just a regular old shine up smash while you are running. something people do frequently.

you weren't misunderstood. try to dash and shine right away and you will find that you can't. because shine up smash is hella common I really thought you meant out of dash. and said don't think it will work.

Kosine

Smash Cadet
?? i said i meant out of run before you posted

and when you said shine upsmash i thought you meant standing shine upsmash because no further specification was given.

we both misunderstood each other as far as i can tell

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
why not just call it jumping. Do you have to mention every iasa frame in the game? I don't bring it up when i dtilt with marth then cancel the animation with a dash. Do we need a special name for that too? How about tilt-dash-canceling?

michael_goldfish

Smash Rookie
If you raptor boost to the ledge (and hit the ledge) as captain falcon, rather than grabbing the ledge, you'll just fall to your death, but I'm sure almost everyone knows that already. :grin:

Also, sorry for interrupting Kaostar and Kosine's conversation about the feasibility of shine jump canceled upsmash out of dash with fox. :)

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Protip: Running Shine into JC grab connects on Waveshineable targets

Posted it in the Fox thread and everyone ignored me

:[

Kanelol

Smash Lord

i felt special

why doesn't anyone mention these things, so that when a wayward youngster stumbles upon them and feels like the holy grail accidentally hopped into his lap, he doesn't make an *** of himself on the internet

X1-12

Smash Champion

i felt special

why doesn't anyone mention these things, so that when a wayward youngster stumbles upon them and feels like the holy grail accidentally hopped into his lap, he doesn't make an *** of himself on the internet
thats the entire point of this thread

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Alright, i'm not sure if this is correct or not. But I heard if you're near the edge of a platform and your in the animation where your on 1 foot, wobbling about to fall off the platform and you do any attack it is faster, like Nair's and such. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if so why/ how much faster it is than normal attacks.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Alright, i'm not sure if this is correct or not. But I heard if you're near the edge of a platform and your in the animation where your on 1 foot, wobbling about to fall off the platform and you do any attack it is faster, like Nair's and such. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if so why/ how much faster it is than normal attacks.
its called Ledge-cancelling, if you slide to the edge during landing lag. the amount of lag it cuts depends on how long it takes you to slide to the edge

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I thought that was a platform cancel...I was talking about something that cancels all attacks, not just aerials, such as jabs, ftilts, grabs etc. But maybe I'm just confused.

X1-12

Smash Champion
what I was talking about is definitely an edge-cancel sometimes called a ledge-cancel

you are talking about the 'tiller' animation which you can do out of a run when you reach the edge of a platform or the stage, if you are running then let go of the direction just before you hit the edge, you stop and do the wobbling thing you are talking about. you can then instantly do any attack as you are no longer running and are standing

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I like referring to it as edge-canceling because ledges are the things you grab on to when you're recovering. Edges are other places too lol.

This was discussed a while back, but im not sure how many people actually remember it:

The teetering animation that happens at edges actually cancels alot of things, like running animations and wavedashes instantly so it's possible to do stuff like running Utilts at the ledge and such. Just kind of a handy thing to remember if your character uses tilts to edge guard.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Alright thanks I heard something like that my friend told me, but I thought he ment like....if your in the teetering animations if you do any attack, the attacks have less lag.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
You can taunt cancel your dash/run animation.

If you hold A and then press Z the soft shield will come out without doing the grab.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Silent Wolf is actually a sound making human.

TresChikon

Smash Lord

DON'T HIGHLIGHT THIS

SERIOUSLY DON'T

DON'T GO ANY FURTHER!!

I'M WARNING YOU!!

SVEET IS PRETTY AND I WANT TO HAVE HIS BABIES

INSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUYINSANECARZYGUY

smakis

Smash Ace
if nana is in her teetering animation at the edge she wont respond when you belay causing you to fall to your death =(

Top Bottom