• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

Rudra

Smash Ace
LOL I instantly thought of Roy honking when you said that.
lol I miss hearing those screams, especially from Fox and Marth too. It *might* be possible to simulate it by using the SFX they make when they're coming out of hitstun in the air (example being Marth saying "Ngh.") but it just wouldnt be as epic as Melee's.... *sighs*

Sanu

Smash Champion
General feedback from people I played on the weekend with the beta 4 codeset: Idea (2nd best Melee Jiggs player in EC Canada), Kirbykaze (Best Melee Shiek in Canada), Europhoria (Beat Wife in a Melee tournament set... <_< <3 you Wifey!)

*Metaknight is still broken, KK was a skilled Metaknight player before he quit Brawl and none of us could beat him... except myself once with Shiek, which was really random. Anyways, for example... the Marth v MK match up: Essentially MK outpowers Marth in every way. He's faster, prioritizes all of his attacks and has massive range. Now, apply this matchup to every character and that's how MK plays in Brawl+. We have videos, but I doubt I'll ever get off my lazy butt to upload them.

*Game and Watch is really over powered, kills most characters at 75-80% with a non-charged down smash. His side dodge is broken.... incredibly broken. If you try to tech chase him out of a down throw or whatever other move, he'll have near 0 frames between the time that his tech invincibility runs out and his side dodge becomes available for use. Essentially, you can't follow up with anything against him.The landing lag from his up-b is nearly zero which also adds onto the brokenness of his side dodge.

*Peach has no kill moves other than f-air. Even if up-smash kills, it's too slow to execute and is rarely if ever is a viable move in a match. Video proof coming at some point perhaps?

*Jigg's rest is incredibly broken. It's much easier to combo into that in Melee which enables for super gimpable kills. I also have video proof for this as well.

*DDD has no viable approaches so he degenerates into throwing little thingies and camping back-air. Fun fun fun!

*General complaint: The game is still very campy and slow (video proof available). Camping still beats every other approach, but we mostly refused to do it since it's so stupid. Side-dodge is broken on most characters. MK is still easily the best character. Most character's jab is way overpowered.

Etc, I can't remember the rest of the voiced concerns.

^_^

GPDP

Smash Ace
General feedback from people I played on the weekend with the beta 4 codeset: Idea (2nd best Melee Jiggs player in EC Canada), Kirbykaze (Best Melee Shiek in Canada), Europhoria (Beat Wife in a Melee tournament set... <_< <3 you Wifey!)

*Metaknight is still broken, KK was a skilled Metaknight player before he quit Brawl and none of us could beat him... except myself once with Shiek, which was really random. Anyways, for example... the Marth v MK match up: Essentially MK outpowers Marth in every way. He's faster, prioritizes all of his attacks and has massive range. Now, apply this matchup to every character and that's how MK plays in Brawl+. We have videos, but I doubt I'll ever get off my lazy butt to upload them.

*Game and Watch is really over powered, kills most characters at 75-80% with a non-charged down smash. His side dodge is broken.... incredibly broken. If you try to tech chase him out of a down throw or whatever other move, he'll have near 0 frames between the time that his tech invincibility runs out and his side dodge becomes available for use. Essentially, you can't follow up with anything against him.The landing lag from his up-b is nearly zero which also adds onto the brokenness of his side dodge.

*Peach has no kill moves other than f-air. Even if up-smash kills, it's too slow to execute and is rarely if ever is a viable move in a match. Video proof coming at some point perhaps?

*Jigg's rest is incredibly broken. It's much easier to combo into that in Melee which enables for super gimpable kills. I also have video proof for this as well.

*DDD has no viable approaches so he degenerates into throwing little thingies and camping back-air. Fun fun fun!

*General complaint: The game is still very campy and slow (video proof available). Camping still beats every other approach, but we mostly refused to do it since it's so stupid. Side-dodge is broken on most characters. MK is still easily the best character. Most character's jab is way overpowered.

^_^
Well, this doesn't sound too good. Any ideas?

Also, which version of the 4.0 Beta did you play? The very latest one includes a whole slew of changes over the one before, including even more nerfs to G&W. But I agree that we're still not doing enough to nerf MK to an appropriate level. He's still top dog, even with the current nerfs. He and G&W need more lag on their spammable moves, such as their dsmashes. I don't play as them, but I can tell that much.

We're no longer constrained by lines (if you use snapshots, at least, since the other method still has a few kinks to work out), so we shouldn't fear to use as many lines as possible to bring these characters down a notch. Same goes for characters that are missing integral parts of their games.

Edit: Huh, just noticed an even newer beta has been put up, with lots of dsmash lag on G&W. Good show.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
In the newest beta, his dsmash has much more winddown to it, making it very punishable (28 frames of end lag).

The only way his Up-B had any lag to it was if G&W landed right at the top of the recovery.

We're still working on MK. Any suggestions?

Was brawl+ really that campy? Your friends are the only ones who voiced complaints about brawl+ still being campy and slow.

And what about jabs are OP?

Sanu

Smash Champion
Also, which version of the 4.0 Beta did you play? The very latest one includes a whole slew of changes over the one before, including even more nerfs to G&W. But I agree that we're still not doing enough to nerf MK to an appropriate level. He's still top dog, even with the current nerfs. He and G&W need more lag on their spammable moves, such as their dsmashes. I don't play as them, but I can tell that much.
Hmm, I'm not sure if I was playing with the nerfed G&W codeset. I went on the IRC channel Saturday night and Falco400 pointed me towards the newest most updated codeset on Shanus' Mediafire page. It had the new handicap=buffer code enabled.

In the newest beta, his dsmash has much more winddown to it, making it very punishable (28 frames of end lag).
Yeah, I'm still not sure if I was using the nerfed codeset. 28 Frames of lag does seem quite useful though XD... although my friend never threw out the downsmash unless he was following up with a techchase. In that scenario, either he followed me correctly or he missed and had enough time for the 28 extra frames of lag to not matter. I'm not sure though.

The only way his Up-B had any lag to it was if G&W landed right at the top of the recovery.
Yeah... which is what makes it so broken. Even morso is that you can't punish him when he uses up-b by accident or spaces it incorrectly because it can just be canceled into an aerial ~_~

We're still working on MK. Any suggestions?
Honestly, less priority... he should have the priority of Captain Falcon. If you think about it, once he gets a player into a combo his priority doesn't matter. It's the fact that he out prioritizes everyone and gets people into combos incredibly easily.. thus, reduce his priority, reducing the amount of combos he can get you into. He will still combo the **** out of you if he gets the opportunity, but he will have less opportunities to do so.

Also, something that I forgot to mention; his downthrow is incredibly tech chasable on the whole cast now. Just another thing to make MK even more broken, haha. That should probably be fixed as well.

Was brawl+ really that campy? Your friends are the only ones who voiced complaints about brawl+ still being campy and slow.
Well, it's kind of hard to explain... so I'll start with the speed of the game first. On one side, you have these incredibly fast characters who zoom around at speeds faster than that of Melee. On the other hand; you have characters who go incredibly slow, creating a ridiculous contrast from the rest of the cast. As a result, it still feels really slow in certain match ups... and it also feels really awkward playing as Luigi/otherslowpeople versus Fox or Falcon or MK or etc. In summary, the slow match ups are INCREDIBLY slow and the fast match ups are INCREDIBLY fast.

As for campyness, it's the side-dodge and the Brawl air-dodge. There's no real amount of lag from either of these so it makes it increasingly difficult to punish camping. Rob, for example, can camp and win against quite easily against approach characters. DDD has no options, so he has to camp to win. Game and Watch can camp with Bacon, making it even harder to approach for most characters... and it's all aided by the unpunishable side-dodges and ease of running away with the Brawl air-dodge.

Lets put it into perspective here. If a competent Fox/Falco/Rob/etc. wanted to, they could camp any slow characters and possibly faster characters to hell near 100% of the time. And if your response to that is dittos against campers, then lets put up our tents guys! It would just degenerate into competitive camping or one of the players attempting to approach with little to no success.

The fact is, most of us Brawl+ players refuse to camp... As a result, there hasn't been any clear demonstrations of how broken it still is. I'm not going to lie, but by the end of the night were all pretty sick and tired of Brawl+ :(

And what about jabs are OP?
Because there's no crouch canceling, the only option against jabs is shielding. The added shield-stun in the new beta will lock anyone into a guaranteed punished if they're shielding someone's jab. Peach is a great example! If she fc-aerials your shield into a repeated jab, no matter what you do, you're going to get hit by the jab. Side dodge? As lagless as they are, jab will still hit you. Roll? There's initially no invincibility frames on the roll, so you still get hit. Jump? Well.. you get it by now.

Not only that, jab beats most approaches.... included grabbing/shieldgrabbing. If people start figuring this out and spamming jabs, what's the opponent going to do? Start camping!

This applies to other characters with quick jabs too ^_^

GPDP

Smash Ace
Honestly, less priority... he should have the priority of Captain Falcon. If you think about it, once he gets a player into a combo his priority doesn't matter. It's the fact that he out prioritizes everyone and gets people into comboes incredibly easily.. thus, reduce his priority and reduce the amount of comboes he can get you into. He will still combo the **** out of you if he gets the opportunity, but he needs less opportunities to do so.

Also, something that I forgot to mention; his downthrow is incredibly tech chasable on the whole cast now. Just another thing to make MK even more broken, haha. That should probably be fixed as well.
Sadly, priority is not some variable that you can just plug in a number and modify. It is a combination of many factors, such as damage, knockback, and the size of the hitbox. It's not something we can really do anything about, unless we mess with the things that ultimately make up priority. And I dunno how we would go about that.

As for the dthrow, I'd say more end lag on it would probably help things along.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Priority can't really be modified, as that would involve modifying the size of the hitbox, which is impossible.

What if MK couldn't combo as well? What then? Just a suggestiong I'm throwing out there?

Also, Sonic's Up-B can be canceled into an aerial. It isn't broken. >_>

And by camping > approaching, can you give me an example of this?

Sanu

Smash Champion
Also, Sonic's Up-B can be canceled into an aerial. It isn't broken. >_>
You're right! Sonic's aerials have terrible priority or damage though, so the effect isn't as great. Not only that, what you've described is different that G&W up-b cancelling as G&W is still in the Parachute animation whilst Sonic is in a neutral position after his up-b. Anyways, he can't be approached if he cancels into an aerial due to his ridiculous priority whilst you can either trade moves with Sonic or simply out prioritize him. If I have time, I'll probably upload the videos of G&W's bs, lol.

As for not being able to modify priority... then MK will always be #1, haha. Increasing knockback and reducing the amount of possible comboes he has will not save anyone from his invincible approaching options and extended gimping ability. He would essentially become vBrawl MK... and we know how good vBrawl MK was <.>

Also, I finished editing/updating my post now... so yeah :laugh:

Edit: I'll try to poke the guys I played with so they can come and post their own feedback.

EditEdit: Ok, I poked them. I'm waiting for you guys to post now! Oh... and lol@kupo's guesses of frame data in that other topic XD <3

Revven

FrankerZ
I had already told people on the IRC what we should be doing with MK besides move nerfs but, of course, everybody thinks these nerfs do something to MK when half of them really don't. It's his speed more than anything else. He is able to chase you into the air, he's able to chase you on the ground now (due to his increased dash speed like everyone else's) and he's able to KO easily (although this is fixed with Shuttle Loop KB nerf and I THINK shanus added the Dsmash KB nerf getting rid of the endlag it has). The best things we ought to do are: get rid of his momentum, get rid of Flimsy Armor and instead nerf the damage he deals on his aerials and tilts, keep whorenado nerf, tone his speed back down to vBrawl MK speed, keep Shuttle Loop KB nerf, keep Dsmash KB nerf (if we haven't done this yet, do it and get rid of the Dsmash endlag), and keep the Dair KB nerf but change its trajectory, part of the reason that move is so good is because of the angle is sends you at.

If we did all of that instead of targeting his move set, it would probably work better than what we instated now. Thoughts? It's the second best option after changing priority... (which we can't do).

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think that he does need a bit of a slowdown, but also - Why not give him the negative version of Bowser's "Don't care" armor? Make it so he takes more damage for every attack, as compared to just getting more knockback, as he did from the old code, or whatever.

If it happen, I demand it is dubbed the Failmail, I like it more than his Flimsy Armor.

Zelc

Smash Cadet
I had already told people on the IRC what we should be doing with MK besides move nerfs but, of course, everybody thinks these nerfs do something to MK when half of them really don't. It's his speed more than anything else. He is able to chase you into the air, he's able to chase you on the ground now (due to his increased dash speed like everyone else's) and he's able to KO easily (although this is fixed with Shuttle Loop KB nerf and I THINK shanus added the Dsmash KB nerf getting rid of the endlag it has). The best things we ought to do are: get rid of his momentum, get rid of Flimsy Armor and instead nerf the damage he deals on his aerials and tilts, keep whorenado nerf, tone his speed back down to vBrawl MK speed, keep Shuttle Loop KB nerf, keep Dsmash KB nerf (if we haven't done this yet, do it and get rid of the Dsmash endlag), and keep the Dair KB nerf but change its trajectory, part of the reason that move is so good is because of the angle is sends you at.

If we did all of that instead of targeting his move set, it would probably work better than what we instated now. Thoughts? It's the second best option after changing priority... (which we can't do).
You might want to consider nerfing the KB growth on all of MK's kill moves except for fsmash (so dsmash, dair, shuttle loop, glide attack, maybe even fair and usmash, anything else?), and have him take more damage instead of take more knockback so combos on him work better. The lower KB growth should preserve his current combos but not significantly extend them or anything. He'll still have great combos and speed, but in order to kill at, let's say below 200% or something, he'd have to work for a gimp or get lucky with a fsmash. MK would die early and kill late, making him sort of like Chipp.

shanus

Smash Hero
Not true Sanuzi. There are multiple characters who have large disjointed aerials such as ROB and G&W who can perform well against MK. By opening avenues of combos against him while reducing his ability to KO, he in effect is less dominant in the matchup. MK might still be the best with the current changes, but many other characters are viable against him.

I think you are overdramatizing things a bit. While defensive game is still viable, it is by no means dominant. If you play against ROB they aren't going to charge you all day long, esp. against chars like falcon. However, other characters such as Fox can deal with this camping effectively due to higher momentum gains as well. Maybe you need to reanalyze your approach game instead of throwing yourself at your opponents? You keep offering video proof, upload them and then we can evaluate if there is a problem or if it was just poor play.

Suffice to say, we arent done nerfing MK yet though, but you do seem to be crying wolf a bit

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Actually, there is a way to change priority, albeit it is somewhat limited. Currently, most (all?) of mk's 'A' attacks have something called "transcendent priority." Basically, it means that his attacks won't ever clash with another one, sorta like the spacies' lasers (marth's sideB also has this property iirc). If we remove this property and subject his moves to the normal clashing rules (if two hits do within 10% of each other and they collide they clash), it may help, slightly, since you would then be able to actually stop his attacks by throwing hitboxes out. Unfortunately, this would actually buff him against projectile characters, since then he would be able to swat away the projectiles. It's a double-edged sword.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
How about making the first hit of certain multi-hit moves have no flinch? It'd reward the other player for being one step ahead of MK's otherwise incredibly safe approaches/walls and would still let the moves keep their purpose. MK just has to be smarter with it.

I suggest this instead of slowing it down because I think that would require slowing down the entire move, which doesn't really need to be done.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Actually, there is a way to change priority, albeit it is somewhat limited. Currently, most (all?) of mk's 'A' attacks have something called "transcendent priority." Basically, it means that his attacks won't ever clash with another one, sorta like the spacies' lasers (marth's sideB also has this property iirc). If we remove this property and subject his moves to the normal clashing rules (if two hits do within 10% of each other and they collide they clash), it may help, slightly, since you would then be able to actually stop his attacks by throwing hitboxes out. Unfortunately, this would actually buff him against projectile characters, since then he would be able to swat away the projectiles. It's a double-edged sword.
I think we should try that. It sounds like a good idea, actually.

idea

Smash Master
debatable =) someone was saying that...i think bernard, 4-stocked jarc's jiggs repeatedly. and bernard said my jiggs is better but that jarc as a player overall is better. not that it's a big deal, just going for accuracy, hehe

okay, adding on to what you've said here...

metaknight: i think one of the main reasons he's still broken is that now he can techchase. i had no trouble getting things like dthrow, techchase dthrow, techchase upsmash, upair, upair, up-b...and if you get the up-b backwards and near the edge (which you should be after all that running around) then they will likely die from it <_<
i mean, he still has his crazy *** range and priority, but now he can legitimately combo you too?
i imagine the way to counter him would be to take a floaty character with projectiles and camp him to death. either that, or just someone with more range than him. game and watch might work, actually.

game and watch: he's good. his moves are really strong, just like in normal brawl, so that certainly helps now that you can follow people and combo with him too. but he runs slowly (right, that reminds me - metaknight can run fast. helps with chasing people). so he can't techchase all that well.
and...we weren't playing very campy. one of game and watch's main strengths seem to be his range (and power) on his aerials, so what i should have been doing was spending much more time spacing bairs with him. but that's boring so i didn't. just something to keep in mind - none of us were really testing alternative strategies with our characters.
i'd put him in upper high tier or lower top tier.

peach: i'm not even sure why she's good. i guess it's that, in comparison with melee peach, she retains her power but gains speed. i don't have a good grasp on how to play peach, but her moves seemed to work despite that =P dash attack is really good, i think at one point it went through someone's shield with one hit and knocked them up with the next. she probably has a bunch of crazy combos.
i dunno. peach is good, even without turnips. someone figure out why =)

snake: still really good. didn't feel any different. i bet he can combo out of mines and grenades now, though. that would be so cool...

jiggs: LOL she's too good. rest is stronger than in melee, i'm pretty sure (if someone has explicitly said that, my bad, i haven't read anything in this thread =P). pretty easy to get rests and they kill more easily. and it seems harder to punish her for it when she misses or you die off the side. overall she feels about the same as melee, but keep in mind no one played meta/snake/g&w/etc. against my jiggs.

so this is all a bit speculative, since i only played this version of brawl+ for part of one day. the only one i really feel comfortable talking about is metaknight. and that's cause he's so simple. he's good at everything, that's why he's good.

sorry this is so disorganized, i'm just typing stuff as it comes to mind...sanuzi, i disagree that spot dodging is overly good. in regular brawl it was amazing, but then people just started waiting for it and predicting it. this should be even less of a problem now that everyone is faster. it will likely still be very good with metaknight, but hey, big surprise there. i think this was just us being unfamiliar with it.

tl;dr
metaknight - best; super strong + melee sheikish combos
game and watch - just as strong, now with combos and fast
snake - probably still high or top tier
peach - good somehow
jiggs - lololol just as irritating
bowser - none of us played him cause no one cares :bee:

hopefully we can practice this more at grmo's biweekly this weekend.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I second that, if we are lucky he will end up having crap priority without it. Also, he could be slowed

Finns7

Smash Ace
I have a question.

Is it possible to have tether grabs have the ability to grab while your opponent is in tumble?

Also can we switch certain movesets around? Im talking specific specific ones like replace snakes ftilt/utilt with someone else's, would that remove the hitbox?

kupo15

Smash Hero

^_^
I totally agree. I think higher gravity over all and an adjustment of jumps would solve the speed problem and a faster run speed would help the slower characters out and maybe some more momentum. I know it would also help the faster characters out but I think it would help the slower more just like l canceling did. I've been saying this lately and people just ignore it for whatever reason. Be it that laziness for changing things or not wanting to for the time it took to get the character spec stuff to where it is now. But regardless, I think it could be improved but people are not willing to even try it and prejudge the possibility of upping gravity and the speed of the game and claim the game to be just "fine" how it is.

Vbrawl was "fine" to many people but we decided to take things further with brawl+. Why don't we want to take brawl+ even further to make it truly a perfect game? Its rather disheartening how content people are with the current state of things when it could be vastly improved.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I still miss the MuBa codes. While I admit they were a tad extreme, they were lots of fun. We need a happy medium between that and what we have now.

idea

Smash Master
oh, i remembered more stuff about peach.

europhoria and i did two matches, both my dedede vs. his peach. on yoshi's island i beat him pretty easily, and he said it was cause he couldn't float cancel on a non-flat stage. then we went to fd, and i think he beat me, after a very long match. i couldn't do anything out of shield anymore cause he float canceled there =P and followed things with jab and aerials and stuff. so i couldn't approach him really. so it became a very campy match.

not sure what this implies. maybe there's a bit too much shieldstun? maybe peach needs to not be able to do that? euro used this as an argument for why crouch canceling is required - cause otherwise you can't get past characters' jabs. ike seemed really good for the same reason. i honestly don't know what you can do against ike's fair followed by all his jabs. maybe metaknight could fair somewhere in between those moves, but i think that would pretty much shut down most characters.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
No don't tamper with my broken Metaknight :(
Fix'd. MK will still be good after being nerfed. He just won't be ahead of every other character in the game anymore. We'd like for there to be several top tiers that can all compete with each other in brawl+, not one that has an advantage or goes even against everyone. And low tiers will have to be viable, too. We can't have any characters just getting completely shut down against the best, since that would ultimately defeat the purpose of balancing the game. You should be able to go into a tournament with any character and expect to have a chance at pulling out a win. The lower tier chars will need a secondary to back them up for some matchups, but in no situation should they just get completely ***** by the best.

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
I have some very bad new about the teching code. It looks like fixing it will be vertauly imposible without wrecking the choke. It is normally imposible to tech during the tumble, with is the only reason it isn't techable.

Rikana

Smash Champion
oh, i remembered more stuff about peach.

europhoria and i did two matches, both my dedede vs. his peach. on yoshi's island i beat him pretty easily, and he said it was cause he couldn't float cancel on a non-flat stage. then we went to fd, and i think he beat me, after a very long match. i couldn't do anything out of shield anymore cause he float canceled there =P and followed things with jab and aerials and stuff. so i couldn't approach him really. so it became a very campy match.

not sure what this implies. maybe there's a bit too much shieldstun? maybe peach needs to not be able to do that? euro used this as an argument for why crouch canceling is required - cause otherwise you can't get past characters' jabs. ike seemed really good for the same reason. i honestly don't know what you can do against ike's fair followed by all his jabs. maybe metaknight could fair somewhere in between those moves, but i think that would pretty much shut down most characters.
YOU! You live on tdot as well? I need to meet tdot smashers so I can play Melee and Brawl+. :(

I have some very bad new about the teching code. It looks like fixing it will be vertauly imposible without wrecking the choke. It is normally imposible to tech during the tumble, with is the only reason it isn't techable.
I'm pretty sure people will choose techs over keeping murder choke's untechable effect. Thanks for your hard work.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I see. That's unfortunate.

Did you manage to fix the code anyway, though?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Am I the only one who thinks Kirby is the new Sakurai? Its like he was created for Brawl+. :p
Nobody pays attention to weegee Kirby. He's probably broken, and nobody will notice until it's too late >=)

I have a totally random question. Is it possible to haxx0r the Klaptrap in Jungle Japes so that it doesn't move, or it doesn't have a hitbox, or possibly has less damage/knockback or something?

I know it's on a set timer, but it's really annoying on what would otherwise be a good stage.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I have a totally random question. Is it possible to haxx0r the Klaptrap in Jungle Japes so that it doesn't move, or it doesn't have a hitbox, or possibly has less damage/knockback or something?

I know it's on a set timer, but it's really annoying on what would otherwise be a good stage.
I wouldn't like the stage nearly as much as I do now if hitting the klaptrap wasn't an auto-death most of the time. I loooooooove knocking people into it every 10 seconds. ^_^

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Nobody pays attention to weegee Kirby. He's probably broken, and nobody will notice until it's too late >=)

Reverse the stage.

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
I see. That's unfortunate.

Did you manage to fix the code anyway, though?
It already worked on the floor it just didn't look like it because sometimes it was impossible to tech because your were in the tumble.

Top Bottom