• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Marvel vs Capcom, community thoughts?

Muffins x

Smash Rookie
Hi there everyone, I'm new here. I come from the competitive Marvel side of things, moreso local tournaments than nationals. But I have been a fan of competitive Melee for a really long time and understand the amount of technicality that goes into it. I can speak for a handful of Marvel players when I say that we admire Melee and it's technical prowess (ChrisG and Yipes especially). EVO 2013 for Melee was so incredibly hype that there's no way EVO will refuse Melee another year. But really, after all of this blabbering, I was wondering how the Melee community felt about MvC and their fighting community. Do you find us obnoxious? Hype? No skill needed? I'd like to hear it all!

TLDR; How do you feel about the Marvel vs Capcom 3 fighting game community?

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm in a crew that is half melee, half marvel. we all understand the metagame and aspects of both games. The general consensus from the marvel players in our crew is that Melee is more difficult and has more variant gameplay. For example, every sick combo that makes the crowd go crazy in marvel is something that they've practiced many times in training mode. Even any unplanned "confirm" hit will lead into a combo that they have already practice. In melee, most of those hype combos that make the crowd go wild are "freestyle", believe it or not. They made the combo up right then and there on the fly just based on reaction and understanding of melee's gameplay system.

Marvel is mad hype to most melee players but some of us view it as broken. I'm of a belief that either (1) there should be no combo that kills a character from 0 - death (one touch). or (2) there shouldn't be any unblockable incoming mix ups. melee fixes this by giving a few seconds of invincibility on re-spawn. Also we believe that melee has a higher tech skill ceiling. I learned good magneto combos in like a half an hour or learning the game. on the flip side, it would take a marvel player a couple of days to get the hang of actual good bnb combos, assuming that they have a good understanding of smash.

but general consensus is that both games are extremely hype and we appreciate the nice combos in marvel and also things that we can appreciate such as the footsies and mindgames and little things like mix ups and stuff that we recognize immediately for what it is

Muffins x

Smash Rookie
Awesome answer, exactly what I was looking for. I completely agree about the touch of death combos. Well I think a touch of death combo should be extremely execution heavy but unfortunately it really isn't. As for unblockable incoming mix ups, those are very hard to time and there are ways to get out of them (except ones with C. Viper). Now if you're talking about like "ambiguously impossible to block mix ups because it's Zero" which can confirm into a Touch of Death, then yeah that definitely sucks and can take the hype out of things!

Thank you for your input though, much appreciated.

LLDL

Smash Hero
no problem I was actually hoping someone would ask that question, as it's something that I think about a lot.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I dunno I don't seem the problem with the things Marvel has. Games are unique and if you'd like to play things that don't have that then play other things.

64 has ToD combos and shielding= death in that game, so should I have the same feelings about the game? Hell no. I think Marvel is pretty awesome personally haha.

I do prefer Melee of course but Marvel is a good game in itself for different things.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Marvel's a pretty good game despite all the flack it gets. Most of it is just whining about things that people haven't been able to figure out because the game's only been out for less than 3 years and people act like they know everything about the game already.

The only real problems with the game are the combination of high damage and long combos (which leads to ToDs being everywhere), and TACs which, even before TAC infinites were a thing, were really dumb because people were using them as braindead resets which detracted from the otherwise interesting reset and okizeme game that Marvel has. Other than that the game is pretty much fine as is and I hope it doesn't get patched because if this version of the game ends up being around for ~10 years, we'll get to some really cheap **** which should be fun to mess around with.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't get why people play MvC3 when it seems so unanimous MvC2 is better. As a result, the general vibe I get from the MvC community (and tradtional FGC in general) is that they aren't really happy with the games they play, but they bare enough of a resemblance to previous iterations that they enjoyed a lot. To be fair, I switched from Halo 2 to Halo 3 and Reach despite never having as much fun as I did with Halo 2, so it's not some inherent flaw with traditional FG players. I guess their sequels just weren't as bad as barlw so it was harder to rally up support for playing whatever version people actually enjoy the most.

tldr... pity? Seems harsh, but accurate...

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Simply put, Marvel 3 is significantly better balanced than Marvel 2. (I am no expert. If I'm wrong, don't hate. This is just what I've heard.) It's also a good game in its own right; in contrast, Brawl is proportionally a lot worse and less fun of a sequel in its own series. Marvel 3 also has iconic characters that have seen popularity since Marvel 2 (such as Dante, Zero, and Wesker); that's likely an incentive to play Marvel 3 as well. I really hope that the game gets updated. I want to get into it myself, but it seems too poorly-balanced to be enjoyable (for someone like myself that wants to use Shuma). The Marvel community is really passionate and deserves a patch. Not sure why some people are saying "balance yes, new characters no". Capcom would have to make the potential update as a big paid DLC upgrade (like USF4) in order to justify spending money to renew the contract with Disney/Marvel and spending even more money to get devs together to make stuff, whether it be major or minor.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I like marvel 3. I never got real serious about it, I can't even do bnb stuff with my team like vergil sword loops.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I used to love playing MvC2 on my Dreamcast growing up but I never got the chance to play with anyone other than close friends. I've play MvC3 a bit but the controls weren't the same and didn't really feel like learning the new ones.

The FGC is the best community on the planet, I don't give a f*ck which game you play so long as you like playing Fighters. :D

Muffins x

Smash Rookie
These are all great answers! About MvC2.. The MvC2 execution might be about 10x harder than UMvC3, the infinites, resets, and most unblockables took enormous amount of skill and timing. I believe that's why a lot of people consider it better (a lot of the UMvC3 community too). I believe I have pretty decent above average execution, I can do almost all combos in UMvC3 except maybe MarlinPie's exchange combos but I CANNOT a lot of the professional stuff in MvC2 (IM, Mags, Storm, Sentinel). And TOD's were very hard to do in MvC2. The skill level was just overall higher, kind of like how Melee is ten folds higher than Brawls.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I don't play fighting games much but Marvel is pretty hype to watch even if I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Also I love Storm.

Marvel 3 is dope. I only quit playing it cuz I would get too into it and neglect melee lol. Also waiting to get comboed is soooo boring

Not as technical as Melee, so I'm not very interested.

Actually I saw GF and it were ok, but right now I'm just a casual watcher.
Lol by that logic you may as well never touch another game. Marvel def takes a lot of tech skill, the movement just isn't as deep

oliman

Smash Journeyman
Some friends got me into (watching, mostly) Marvel and here's what I think

My negative thoughts:

1. The cookie cutter combos get old after awhile IMO. Sometimes people opt for the longer lasting combos for clock reasons, but mostly it seems that it is 1 combo that does the most damage
2. After watching EVO, it seems to me that Zero is near broken. Almost everyone had him on their team, everytime he touched a guy they were dead, he could zone and approach well, etc. etc. and it seemed like his only "weakness" was his lower health. I understand that Morrigan takes skill and I have no problem with Vergil, but Zero is infuriating to watch
3. Small gripe, but the commentators hardly ever explain anything about matchups and strategies (i.e. the "why" in matches), which occasionally appear in Melee commentary.

Positive thoughts:

1. The neutral game is exciting
2. Mixups and all that are exciting
3. Yipes's hype
4. The comeback potential

Memory

Smash Rookie
I play a lot of Melee, but I'm also an avid player of other fighting games. I have the utmost respect for players of all games from SF4 to Marvel to KOF and beyond. While some may say the combos are easier in Umvc3 than in other games, every game takes a lot of time in the lab and the strategy and mind games that go into getting that hit make it a very interesting game. Also, it's hype as hell to watch. =P

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I love MvC2 to death. MvC3 is cool too I guess, I hope you guys can end this collusion drama fast.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
The comeback factor that you get is something I never liked. (Like the revenge meter in SF4) You shouldn't be rewarded for getting hit.

In melee you have to make your own comebacks.

Muffins x

Smash Rookie
Lol by that logic you may as well never touch another game. Marvel def takes a lot of tech skill, the movement just isn't as deep
Marvel 2 is arguably just as technical as Melee, IMO.

Some friends got me into (watching, mostly) Marvel and here's what I think

2. After watching EVO, it seems to me that Zero is near broken. Almost everyone had him on their team, everytime he touched a guy they were dead, he could zone and approach well, etc. etc. and it seemed like his only "weakness" was his lower health. I understand that Morrigan takes skill and I have no problem with Vergil, but Zero is infuriating to watch
Well I see where you're coming from, as a player of the game, I hate Zero more than Hitler. BUT, his combos are VERY hard to do. Of the top 24 players at EVO, only 7 were using Zero compared to the 17 Dr. Dooms (yeah 17, HIDDEN MISSILES and piece of cake bnbs). But you're right, once you've got him down, he's by far the cheapest in the game, still not easy though.

And to the people who dislike the X-Factor mechanic. Right there with you, comebacks feel like cheats. MvC2 and Smash bros have REAL comeback mechanics.

That's why I don't play my other games anymore.
Because they aren't technical enough? Sounds like your "other games" were pretty weak then lol. If you were into any classic games (snes), you should try doing an optimal speedrun for one of those games.

Melee is filthy, but it's not the only cool/deep game out there.

Binx

Smash Master
Speedruns are a lot of fun, I also like some low level challenges in older games.

MvC is fun to look at, but at the end of the day I feel like the movement is so limited compared to melee that its hard to enjoy, also its strange how much space certain characters command next to others. If you take Fox vs Marth for instance, marth controls a lot of space around him but not hugely more than Fox. Then you have something like Akuma or Zero and they control huge lines of space and can still threaten almost full damage using supers.

The finals are pretty sick though as long as Chris G isnt in them =P

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
Since were in the topic of melee player's thoughts and impressions on other fighting games, what does the melee community think of competitive anime fighters (Blazblue, Persona, Guilty, etc). :D

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Arcana is literally the most fun I've ever had playing a 2D fighter, but no one wants to play as 50 shades of loli in public.

Melty Blood is also really fun.

Muffins x

Smash Rookie
Since were in the topic of melee player's thoughts and impressions on other fighting games, what does the melee community think of competitive anime fighters (Blazblue, Persona, Guilty, etc). :D
I truly believe that the Guilty Gear series is the most technical and execution heavy out of all fighting games.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord

Guilty Gear is amazing.

Blazblue feels kind of like Guilty Gear but it's a bit little watered down and too slow/clunky for me to really enjoy.

P4A is even more watered down but the mechanics and pacing are pretty fun though I'm a bit biased because I'm a Persona fan.

If you haven't heard of Bleach Dark Souls you should go check it out . It's an underlooked (because it's on DS and because it's a licensed anime game) ridiculous anime fighter with universal 8-way invincible(except for EX attacks) normal/blockstun cancelable air/ground dashes, a complex super/burst/EX/air dash meter managing system, Genei Jin supers, ridiculous level 3 transformations, Ouroboroes with flying ninjas instead of projectiles, a IC's/Carl style character, loops, air combos, laser specials, traps (only the type you set), divekicks, teleports, lots of sword normals and SSBM style 4 player 2v2 in a Marvel paced anime fighter!
(please someone play this game with me)

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Marvel 2 is arguably just as technical as Melee, IMO.

Well I see where you're coming from, as a player of the game, I hate Zero more than Hitler. BUT, his combos are VERY hard to do. Of the top 24 players at EVO, only 7 were using Zero compared to the 17 Dr. Dooms (yeah 17, HIDDEN MISSILES and piece of cake bnbs). But you're right, once you've got him down, he's by far the cheapest in the game, still not easy though.

And to the people who dislike the X-Factor mechanic. Right there with you, comebacks feel like cheats. MvC2 and Smash bros have REAL comeback mechanics.

quick note that more of the dooms used plasma beam assist and that plasma beam is completely superior.

now im taking this discussion the wrong way though >.>

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
Arcana is literally the most fun I've ever had playing a 2D fighter, but no one wants to play as 50 shades of loli in public.

Melty Blood is also really fun.
hahahaha, my friends and I are actually pretty decent at Arcana heart, but we try not to play it in public or talk too much about it, hence why we don't play it much like we used to. XD

Also, I wish I knew how to get Melty Blood working on my computer. It's so frustrating doing so. -_-

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
hahahaha, my friends and I are actually pretty decent at Arcana heart, but we try not to play it in public or talk too much about it, hence why we don't play it much like we used to. XD

Also, I wish I knew how to get Melty Blood working on my computer. It's so frustrating doing so. -_-
I think there is a thread around here for it, but I remember getting it to work really easily. You should basically just be able to put it on your computer, set controls and let it rock.

Who do you play in Arcana? I was playing Tyr/Punishment/Plant-Konoha in 3 and was going to work on Water-Konoha until people stop playing it.

I play F-Len as a main in Melty Blood and work on some other characters like F-Seifuku (Akiha)

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Because they aren't technical enough? Sounds like your "other games" were pretty weak then lol. If you were into any classic games (snes), you should try doing an optimal speedrun for one of those games.

Melee is filthy, but it's not the only cool/deep game out there.
I love other games, especially those forementioned deep games, but I opted to play Smash (I also play 64 and P:M) and dedicate only to it until I reach my goals.

I love speedrunning Zelda, but Smash has my attention right now.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Guilty Gear is amazing.

Blazblue feels kind of like Guilty Gear but it's a bit little watered down and too slow/clunky for me to really enjoy.

P4A is even more watered down but the mechanics and pacing are pretty fun though I'm a bit biased because I'm a Persona fan.

If you haven't heard of Bleach Dark Souls you should go check it out . It's an underlooked (because it's on DS and because it's a licensed anime game) ridiculous anime fighter with universal 8-way invincible(except for EX attacks) normal/blockstun cancelable air/ground dashes, a complex super/burst/EX/air dash meter managing system, Genei Jin supers, ridiculous level 3 transformations, Ouroboroes with flying ninjas instead of projectiles, a IC's/Carl style character, loops, air combos, laser specials, traps (only the type you set), divekicks, teleports, lots of sword normals and SSBM style 4 player 2v2 in a Marvel paced anime fighter!
(please someone play this game with me)
I played a fair bit of blade of fate online. I used Rukia. Really good game.
I never got into arc system works game but am planning to fix that once the new GG comes out.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
I think there is a thread around here for it, but I remember getting it to work really easily. You should basically just be able to put it on your computer, set controls and let it rock.

Who do you play in Arcana? I was playing Tyr/Punishment/Plant-Konoha in 3 and was going to work on Water-Konoha until people stop playing it.

I play F-Len as a main in Melty Blood and work on some other characters like F-Seifuku (Akiha)
It's funny how on the same day you posted that, I got Melty blood to work that night. Planning on maining Nrvnqsr.

I also, out of boredom, got this game to work too. XD

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It's funny how on the same day you posted that, I got Melty blood to work that night. Planning on maining Nrvnqsr.

I also, out of boredom, got this game to work too. XD

Oh god, Chaos is so lame. He's really good though. I might play Ougon. There's not really any interest around here for it, though.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
Oh god, Chaos is so lame. He's really good though. I might play Ougon. There's not really any interest around here for it, though.
Of course not. Anime is looked down upon. XD

Finding a scene in your area is improbable in comparison to smash or capcom fighters.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Of course not. Anime is looked down upon. XD

Finding a scene in your area is improbable in comparison to smash or capcom fighters.

Ohio actually has a moderately strong anime scene kinda. There's also Greats up in MI that I have on twitter and some others around.

Top Bottom