• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CT ZeRo's Coaching Program! (I'm back!)

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Do you critique videos? I have I think my best perfomance in youtube and I want to know if that playstile works.

I love to FF in ledge and then upB, but now I started using tap jump to make a better OoS game so I can't do that, When I'm going to do the UpB I jump and I don't go to the ledge, instead of that I start gliding and get a SD, how can I do upB without jumping first?

vs Marth what is the best tactics or gamestyle? In other video I play aggro but idk, first time I used MK against that Marth maybe he just didn't know my MK's playstyle (too different from the other around here, he plays like M2K of '09, dair camp)

It worths Grab release chain on dittos? or is better to do a Dthrow and a read?

Sorry for my english Zero, if some text is soooooo bad I can post it again in spanish
Sure. Send me the link, and I'll let you know what I think about it.

This is very tricky. In fact, I always jump + Upb when I upb. I've never noticed this, until a little before Apex, and I adapted my timing with a jump before everything. Crazy, right?

The only way to do an UPB withou jumping, is by GENTLY moving the control stick up, and then pressing upb. If you do it gently enough, you won't upb. This is very annoying, since you can't really do a gentle move in tough situations. It's the only disadvantage that I see with tap jump on. I've started to practice doing perfect non-jumped Up'bs since a couple months ago, and wow it's hard to do it on tough situations. Other than this, I don't know what to say! =(.

Marth is a tricky match up. It's one of those MU's where you require to know what to do at every moment. I consider myself not very skilled in the match up, but I beat both Leon and Mr R in money matches somehow. So I guess that what I do, right, haha.

What I do is, very simple in fact:

EVERY TIME he is in the air (trying to make an aerial attack), I will spam tornado. After they realize this, they will start to counter/upb. Then I do a fake jump, and punish afterwards. Or do a tornado, back out, then punish their reaction. I'm really good at tricking tornados, so I get a lot of easy damage this way. Then I follow up from whatever direction they go, and go from there.

If he's in the ground, I simply approach with Shield, and react from there. Marth can either dash grab (bad option, easily punishable), or try to attack me when I drop my shield. I simply tornado whenever he attacks, and then camp when I have the lead.

I approach just like Ally does at MK dittos. Shield + shield grab at everything, spot dodges/f-tilt/f-air.

I usually just tornado, and camp with down airs. I mostly bait things, and then fake them in the MU.

If they like to do offensive options when I'm juggling/throwing them I will shield everytime. This is because trying to Upb it's a 50/50, and if you shield, you can cover their options 100% if you shield at the right spot (in the middle of their options, not too far away or close). if they attack you, easy grab/upb. If they go behind you, easy D-Air/Upb/N-Air/B-Air. If they forward, easy F-Air/N-Air/Up-b/Dash grab/upb, so many options! Even F-Tilt/D-smash works if they picked a laggy option (You can punish Marth's F-Air with a D-Smash if you either powershield, spotdodge, or if you drop your shield perfect, frame wise), or you see them air dodging!

Off stage it's pretty easy. Mk just has so many options vs Marth. You either try to chase him down with down airs, and wait for the casual upb (Mr R/Leon would either do a super good F-Air, or upb me when I tried to Down air them). You simply do it like the tornado mix up. Spam something, then bait it. It's awesome vs Marth. If he can barely make it to the ledge, you simply grab the ledge, drop down when he lands on the stage, jump back then, either: air dodge, then buffer a pivot grab (if you want to d-throw), or normal grab if you want to b-throw, N-Aair in front of them so they go back wards, or down air.

Don't get grabbed. MK loses the match up by getting grabbed/F-airing. EVADE GETTING grabbed at the edge, it's not fun!

Ban Smashville/Yoshi's. Marth is too good at both stages. I usually ban SV, since most Marth's love that stage.

Your english is fine, np =).

MR809

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheWarMachine809
Can you explain the MK vs Rob and MK vs ZSS matchups? I have no idea on how to approach them properly and I get frustrated because of it.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Do you think metaknight has any disadvantage match ups on certain stages against characters with good projectiles?

TSM ZeRo

Can you explain the MK vs Rob and MK vs ZSS matchups? I have no idea on how to approach them properly and I get frustrated because of it.
Rob:

Bans: Ban FD. No matter what.

Ground: Simply approach at Rob (walk and shield any lasers/gyros), and start poking his shield with F-Airs while moving backwards/F-Tilts. When his shield gets low, tornado right away. He can't do anything about it. When he tries to land, don't get N-Aired, so don't chase him too far away, and wait for him to land. Simply shieldgrab him for when he's about to land, he can't counter this.

Air: Bait the N-Air, then punish with whatever you can (depending of the distance he is in). Tornado/Upb/U-Air are the best.

Edgeguard: Simply don't get N-Aired, and Down air him at a 45 degree angle till he has to upb. Then up b/d-air him after/before he N-Airs until he's dead. Don't let him grab the ledge.

This is a video of me playing the MU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTnexNAV-D4

(A bit out dated, but you can visually see what I'm talking about).

ZSS:

Ban FD if you don't like her run away. Ban BF if you don't like her aerials/D-Smash game.

Ground: Play careful. She has nasty combos on MK with her B spam, and D-Smash. She also has a bunch of frame traps. Her only weakness, is shield poking/tornado. If you play careful, don't get B'ed, and slowly poke her shield until she can be easily tornado'ed/F-Air/Grabbed mixup'ed, the match is yours. Don't get down B when you're spamming tornado, it hurts.

Air: She moves really fast, and evades all danger with her down b. You gotta bait the down b, then punish to where she goes. ZSS usually air dodge after down b'ing, or attack you, you can cover both by tornadoing where she is landing. Careful of mistiming it and still getting hit by down b.

Edgeguard: Bait the down b, then punish to where she goes with whatever you can. Don't underestimate the frames on her down b, it's pretty fast.

This video gives you a great example on what I just said, it's also a tournament match:

This is a video of me playing the MU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej2XpeYR5sw

Good luck! Ask further if you feel I didn't explained something correctly/need more help.

Do you think metaknight has any disadvantage match ups on certain stages against characters with good projectiles?
Definitely. More than anything campy/cg char + FD/Jungle Japes gives MK a bunch of troubles. Falco/Ic's on FD are a pain to deal with as MK. Also, other chars like Fox/Olimar are troublesome too.

Ban Jungle Japes whenever you can. If not, FD, unless your opponent can use a better stage vs MK, like Castle Siege for Olimar or Yoshi's Island for Sonic, for example.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou, but i play online. I find people to brawl on this forum or allisbrawl. Your able to pick any stage. Some players always pick fd :(

TSM ZeRo

Thankyou, but i play online. I find people to brawl on this forum or allisbrawl. Your able to pick any stage. Some players always pick fd :(
I do play a bunch of friendlies in stages where I am not very comfortable at, or stages that I'm under a disadvantage. Why? Because if that day comes, where I do have to play it, I will have experience doing so. But this doesn't mean, that I don't insta-ban it every time I can in a tournament enviroment.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
I'm going to my first tournament this summer. Could I get some tips as a MK main?

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
Zero i went to my first tourney this weekend and i was able to use some of your tips. This thread inspired me to start a notebook, where ive put many posts you have made. I played my first Lucario, and i used your advice on playstyle and gimping and i was able to win the set against him. Thank you for this thread zero! :)

In Loser's bracket, I lost a game 1 to diddy, and he immediately banned Frigate, which i expected. I wasnt sure where to take him game 2 though. Which stage would you have recommended as a CP?

:phone:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
hi Zero, here I am asking for something :3

could you tell me what was it that I did horribly wrong and which things I could imrpove for the Olimar MU?

I've already polished some things, but I probably missed something but haven't been able to see if I'm doing it right or not xD

I got this vid uploaded with 2 matches from a month ago or 2, they're like my worst example of how to do the Olimar MU, but that's how things are lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXqf0I1MRNc

TSM ZeRo

I'm going to my first tournament this summer. Could I get some tips as a MK main?
More than anything, you need to remain calm at all times. Smash at tournaments can be pretty outrageous, because anything can happen. You can comeback from 3 stocks at any time, and the opposite can happen as well. You need to be focused, calm and positive at all times. Breath deep before any set, and try to think of your general strategy too.

As MK, I'd say: Stick to what works, and not do anything you're not used to. A tournament is where you put to test whatever you've tried so far, not a place to try out new things. Don't try to upb people off stage at angles you're not used to, or play under stages you don't like/play, and so on.

Zero i went to my first tourney this weekend and i was able to use some of your tips. This thread inspired me to start a notebook, where ive put many posts you have made. I played my first Lucario, and i used your advice on playstyle and gimping and i was able to win the set against him. Thank you for this thread zero! :)

In Loser's bracket, I lost a game 1 to diddy, and he immediately banned Frigate, which i expected. I wasnt sure where to take him game 2 though. Which stage would you have recommended as a CP?

Really? Wow, I'm very glad of that. :). No problem!

If Diddy bans you Frigate, you should take him to Halberd. Where you can easily shark him (Glide attack him/U-Air below the stage, then going to the other side, and repeat). If he bans/isn't available, you should go to Delfino. But be careful of getting infinited on the many walkoffs/walls of the stage. Or spiked in the water. If I fear that the Diddy is a crazy player, like ADHD, I might not go Delfino, and go somewhere else, like Halberd, or even Battlefield.

Usually for me it's: Halberd/Frigate.

could you tell me what was it that I did horribly wrong and which things I could imrpove for the Olimar MU?

I've already polished some things, but I probably missed something but haven't been able to see if I'm doing it right or not xD

I got this vid uploaded with 2 matches from a month ago or 2, they're like my worst example of how to do the Olimar MU, but that's how things are lol

You definitely need to learn the range of Olimar's grab, and F-Air. You got hit by both way too many times. In my experience with Rich Brown, and Brood, I learned that the key of the match up is to NOT get hit by both of these things.

Also, anytime you would get frustrated, you would rush at him, and then get punished. You gotta remain calm in this match up. This is also, another one of the key points: NOT GET FRUSTRATED. Olimar can be extremely annoying, especially at tournaments. But you must have to remain calm at all times in order to take the best options at all times.

Also, don't chase Olimar when he's in the air, he will simply whistle and then hit you with whatever he cans. Simply wait on the ground, shield/spotdodge his aerial, and then punish afterwards. Shielgrabbing, GSL'ing are great options.

F-Tilt/D-Tilt on the ground are great options, since you will beat his grab. Rolls/spotdodges are good options if you can predict what he will do. If he like to grab/pivot grab, timing a roll behind him, or a dodge just as he's about to grab, will give you a free punish. You can also full hop D-Air/short hop tornado his pivot grabs (On top of his head to not get grabbed).

Careful on the ledge, you want to pressure his head with D-Airs from a 45 degree angle, and N-Air his whistles. If everyhing fails, simply scare him off stage, make him maneuver around then grab the ledge as he's about to do so, and you'll get a free stock.

Also, when he up'bs, and he has a yellow pikmin, it'll hit you just as you're trying to grab the ledge. Take this in consideration before edgeguarding/dropping off the stage, as it can mess you up the chance to kill him, or stage spike you. You got hit by this at game 2.

Orion*

Smash Researcher

not my thread, so I'm not going to confuse you with my opinion on anything. but i wanted to say something in your playing, outside of just the olimar matchup. you do moves so far away that your opponent can actually react to what you are doing. you arent like nadoing from the other side of the stage or something but, it's still just a bit to obvious

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I played the marth mu many times (online) and this is what I learned about the mu, please tell me if im wrong.
- Marth has more range in the air so its better to stay on the ground.
- If he tries to hit you on the ground from the air, you can utilt, up b, or grab.
- Marth does good or bad depending on how many grabs he gets.
- Tornado is only good to punish marth when he approaches with his shield and when marth is on the ledge.
- When you get hit far from the stage its better to go to the ledge.
- Its very bad to be on top of marth.

TSM ZeRo

I played the marth mu many times (online) and this is what I learned about the mu, please tell me if im wrong.
- Marth has more range in the air so its better to stay on the ground.
- If he tries to hit you on the ground from the air, you can utilt, up b, or grab.
- Marth does good or bad depending on how many grabs he gets.
- Tornado is only good to punish marth when he approaches with his shield and when marth is on the ledge.
- When you get hit far from the stage its better to go to the ledge.
- Its very bad to be on top of marth.
1.- You're right, he has more range. But! Mk can do more attacks than him (he's much faster), and has almost the same range than Marth (Just a tiny bit shorter than his F-Air/F-Smash). This means, that you should be simply careful of going into the air vs him. Know your range and use it well. Don't get F-aired/F-Smash because you incorrectly stepped into his zone. This is a good picture to understand Marth's zone:

Red: Bad zone. He struggles hitting you here.

Yellow: Hard spot to do, but doable by experienced Marths.

Green: Marth excels at this range.

2.- Better options are: In front GSL (45 degree)/Shieldgrab. Upwards U-Air/U-Tilt/Upb b if he's quite high and on a 45 degree angle. Backwards GSL, D-Air/B-Air/N-Air. You can also tornado any of his attacks/landings. Careful of his down b, counter.

3.- Definitely. Marth gains huge momentum, and stage control once he pulls a grab. Never get grabbed on the edges! You're dead if he can D-Air you, starting as early as 40%!

4.- You're wrong here. If he shields, do not tornado. It's an up b bait. Simply dash grab him. If he likes to shield and spotdodge afterwards, then you can tornado. Tornado is excellent when Marth is on the ledge, you're right here. Again, careful of spamming it, and getting countered.

5.- Very safe option. You can also go near the ledge, and then tornado onto the stage if the Marth likes to challenge with any sort of attack that isn't counter. Careful of getting tippered F-Smash baited, or Upb'ed/Shielded. Only do this if you see it's an habit from the other player.

6.- Not directly on top of him, but at the 45 degree angle is where he is really powerful. So many F-Air frame traps. Try to evade this angle, and put him instead in this angle. Easy shields, tornados, and GSL's! When you're directly below him, he is SO weak (Like you can see in the picture above). He can'd do anything but do a super laggy Down Air, Air dodge/Counter. Or jump backwards and try to F-Air you. But if he does waste his jump like this, you simply upb him and kill him right away for doing those kind of mistakes.

Also, ban Yoshi's, or Smashville/BF! All 3 of those are his best stages. If he loves to CG, then you could ban FD too.

Hopefully I helped!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. I liked the image you made. Maybe images like the ones you made can be the new way to learn mu's for certain characters.

. Never get grabbed on the edges! You're dead if he can D-Air you, starting as early as 40%!
I think its very hard for marth players to do this online with the lag.

TSM ZeRo

Thankyou. I liked the image you made. Maybe images like the ones you made can be the new way to learn mu's for certain characters.

I think its very hard for marth players to do this online with the lag.
I didn't make the pictures! I took them from a Marth thread titles "Marth Zones".

Offline is where Marth is scary!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Hello, do you know anything about the peach match up?
Whenever I play peach, she always hits me through my shield.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
You definitely need to learn the range of Olimar's grab, and F-Air. You got hit by both way too many times. In my experience with Rich Brown, and Brood, I learned that the key of the match up is to NOT get hit by both of these things.

Also, anytime you would get frustrated, you would rush at him, and then get punished. You gotta remain calm in this match up. This is also, another one of the key points: NOT GET FRUSTRATED. Olimar can be extremely annoying, especially at tournaments. But you must have to remain calm at all times in order to take the best options at all times.

Also, don't chase Olimar when he's in the air, he will simply whistle and then hit you with whatever he cans. Simply wait on the ground, shield/spotdodge his aerial, and then punish afterwards. Shielgrabbing, GSL'ing are great options.

F-Tilt/D-Tilt on the ground are great options, since you will beat his grab. Rolls/spotdodges are good options if you can predict what he will do. If he like to grab/pivot grab, timing a roll behind him, or a dodge just as he's about to grab, will give you a free punish. You can also full hop D-Air/short hop tornado his pivot grabs (On top of his head to not get grabbed).

Careful on the ledge, you want to pressure his head with D-Airs from a 45 degree angle, and N-Air his whistles. If everyhing fails, simply scare him off stage, make him maneuver around then grab the ledge as he's about to do so, and you'll get a free stock.

Also, when he up'bs, and he has a yellow pikmin, it'll hit you just as you're trying to grab the ledge. Take this in consideration before edgeguarding/dropping off the stage, as it can mess you up the chance to kill him, or stage spike you. You got hit by this at game 2.
Thanks a lot, I just tried this and I beat all games another Olimar that was hard for me before, now everything is much clearer ^^

TSM ZeRo

Hello, do you know anything about the peach match up?
Whenever I play peach, she always hits me through my shield.
Yes I do! It's one of my best match ups, thanks to my experience with Hb2 from Chile (he's the best peach over here).

Brief summary:

Bans game 1: Ban FD, no matter what. And pick either Yoshi's/Lylat to be banned. Yoshi's is a good ban if you don't like Peach recovering a little better, and you can't aerial attack properly with the slanted ground. Lylat if you don't like the stage, but in my opinion Lylat is a pretty good counterpick against Peach, since the stage "blocks" Peach's turnips, and due to the stage's tilting, she's way easier to F-Air/U-Air than in other stages.

Bans game 2/3: Ban Castle Siege if you don't like her Aerial game, or you see that the Peach that you're playing is an aggressive one. You really don't want to deal with the F-Air + statues walls, or the very annoying angles in the first and third transformation. She is really hard to hit in those angles, and she can't be gimped/throwed off stage on the second transformation.

Ban FD if you don't like her having more ground space to move, or if you don't like to be camped.

In my preference, I would ban Castle Siege, since MK can easily evade Peach's camping. It's like evading a worser version of Snake's grenades that don't have huge hitboxes, or can't be manipulated in awesome ways.

Ground:

You have to basically move outside of Peach's Jump and D-Air range. I personally play the match up like this:

I will walk outside of D-Air's range, and wait for her to either float, jump, or roll/shield. If she floats, I will F-Air her. If she gets above me, I will Upb/U-Air (Depending of how much time you have until she attacks, UPB is safer when she's not directly above you, since you can get hit anyway if you Upb her when she is directly above you) or I will shield, block her D-Air, then block the LAGLESS attack that she will do in landing. BEST option here is to shield the D-Air, then spotodge, so you don't get grabbed/jabbed shield stabbed. Then punish afterwards.

You can also Tornado in these cases, but it's dangerous if the Peach knows how to SDI/DI, because if she does, you'll eat a N-Air/D-Air every time, and you can lose the game this way. So careful of when you tornado. Be smart, and don't overextend with it, or spam it. Use it smartly on landings, or for when she aerials, and you can attack her with the bottom part of the tornado, so she can't DI it. Always tornado pretty above her, so she can't DI it. But careful of not hitting her because you went way above her, because that's a free "2008" (D-Air, U-Air + N-Air/U-Tilt, about 40%).

If she likes to roll/shield, I will tornado the roll if I don't know where she will roll/or she is cornered at the edge.

If she likes to roll backwards/spotdodge, I will F-Air backwards, and cover both options. It's very important to keep Peach at cornered at an edge, because she's extremely limited when putted into this position.

In the air it's pretty tricky. Upb ANYTHING that she does when you want to kill her, if not, U-Air juggle her until she is either dead, or until you mess up.

She can beat your aerial Upb with D-Air. She has to hit you in the upper part of SL's circle arc. If she likes to do this, simply jump just like if you were to upb, then proceed to: Wait for her to D-Air, then you upb, or, U-Air her/F-Air depending of angle. (F-Air if you're in the same height than her, U-Air if you aren't).

When shes coming back to stage, simpyl D-Air her at a 45 degree angle, or Upb from the below the edge, drop down, and repeat until she is dead. She can't do anything about this if you do this correctly. If she tries to F-Air/Side b you, simply Upb her before she can do either.

Good luck!

I have lots of videos of me playing the MU in tournaments (Simply search "ZeRo vs Hb2" in Youtube, but keep in mind that they're about a year old, I don't play the MU the same way as its shown in the videos, and I am also a much better player than back then, so is Hb2. This means that some tricks or strategies are out dated, and don't really work in today's metagame.

But this video of M2K really explains what I just typed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR31dxDB2DI

Thanks a lot, I just tried this and I beat all games another Olimar that was hard for me before, now everything is much clearer ^^
No problem! I'm glad that I helped you out

Now sis you betta remember me.
How many other Zelda's there did you play?

We played like soon as you Atomski got to the hotel.

OMG, now I do remember you! I played you, with a couple of other smashers, at one of the Hyatt's hotel rooms, right?

Maaaan, what's good?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. I kept picking CS because I like that stage, I didnt know it was bad. I used to wait for her to dair me and then I would try try to punish her , i played this mu so terribly lol

TSM ZeRo

Thankyou. I kept picking CS because I like that stage, I didnt know it was bad. I used to wait for her to dair me and then I would try try to punish her , i played this mu so terribly lol
Everyone used to play something wrong, it's all good. I used to play the Falco MU soooooo wrong. I would dash attack him! That says it all.

TSM ZeRo

to be fair dash attack is hard for falco to cover if he reacts slow At All
Yeah, but I meant it, as an APPROACH tactic. Like at 0%. That's an awful idea! I quickly learned that after I'd get 0-70'ed in seconds, though.

Also, its great for when falco is landing.
I rather tornado the airdodges, and GSL the N-Airs. DA is only good for when you need to quickly cover an airdodge and you're farther away than F-Tilt range, and he is in a weird tornado angle (an angle that he can DI easily, like mid height).

TSM ZeRo

Is it bad to play slow, defensive and safe as metaknight?
No, it is technically the best style. Brawl's designs doesn't allow for an aggressive player to succeed, it allows a good defensive and baiter player to win. And MK's kit is best used to punish people who want to hit you, or reach you.

However, slow it is bad, when you put it as, not "technically capable". MK needs someone who has the technical skill to quickly execute inputs. You can be a campy and slow player no problem, but you will need fast fingers and good reaction time to be a good defensive MK, since you will have to react immediatly to things.

You will also need a very good knowledge of the game to know what you can punish or not.

Being aggressive is WAY easier than being campy, which is why most MK's are aggressive nowadays.

This is a very good video that shows how to play a "slow" MK at pro level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoEy-UBxX5M

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. I now know i need to change my playstyle completely because I am not able to move my hands very fast around the controller, and i do not have a good reaction time.I also do not have hours everday to practice combo'ing cpu's. Now i have to figure out how im going to change my playstyle.

edit: someone i play a lot actually told me to play faster and improve my reaction time

TSM ZeRo

Thankyou. I now know i need to change my playstyle completely because I am not able to move my hands very fast around the controller, and i do not have a good reaction time.I also do not have hours everday to practice combo'ing cpu's. Now i have to figure out how im going to change my playstyle.

edit: someone i play a lot actually told me to play faster and improve my reaction time
You're welcome.

Tech skill comes off of pure practice. Reaction time is different. It comes off of several things:

1.- Focus (How hard do you want to win?)
2.- Sleep schedule (How well do you manage your time?)
3.- Body energy (Aka, excercise and what you eat)
4.- And finaly natural reaction time (Can't do anything about it. Either love or hate what you got).

You can only control the first 3 things. If you really focus, sleep well, eat well and excercise a lot. Your reaction time will be extremely affected.

This is why when I'm on my "Practice hard" schedule I care so much for what I eat, how much I sleep, and how much I excercise per day. Because it will affect how well I will be able to peform at the next tournament I go to.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
You're welcome.

Tech skill comes off of pure practice. Reaction time is different. It comes off of several things:

4.- And finaly natural reaction time (Can't do anything about it. Either love or hate what you got).

You can only control the first 3 things. If you really focus, sleep well, eat well and excercise a lot. Your reaction time will be extremely affected.

This is why when I'm on my "Practice hard" schedule I care so much for what I eat, how much I sleep, and how much I excercise per day. Because it will affect how well I will be able to peform at the next tournament I go to.
Thank you!you have helped me so much

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
So I went to my first tourney this weekend, and I got 7 out of 9 (Sweden's scene is really small, but were growing) I got knocked out by a Zelda in winners and a DK in losers. I will get some videos vs. Zelda up soon. We forgot to save replays when i played the DK. So I kind of need a review of these match-ups.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Can you please tell me how to fight toon link. I remembered the advice you gave me for peach and I used fair a lot vs the last peach I played and I won. This was a different peach than the one I usually play.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace

Excercise and what to eat?!?!

how does that work exactly?? I'm curious about it

TSM ZeRo

So I went to my first tourney this weekend, and I got 7 out of 9 (Sweden's scene is really small, but were growing) I got knocked out by a Zelda in winners and a DK in losers. I will get some videos vs. Zelda up soon. We forgot to save replays when i played the DK. So I kind of need a review of these match-ups.
Sure thing!

Zelda:

Bans: Just ban FD. Most Zelda's will camp you a lot with Din's Fire. FD helps her have enough space to camp you.

MK's tornado, hitting her head, absolutely beats any of her options. She will get beated by it very easily. The thing is, don't get hit by Din's fire from far away. Do it up close. Poke her shield a bit with F-Tilt/D-Tilt/F-Airs (She will shield>drop shield>D-smash to punish any poorly spaced things you do) and then shield stab her shield with tornado. D-Airs at a 45 degree angle over her head works wonders too.

Chase her without fear in the air with U-Airs, and punish air dodges with D-Air/N-Air. Punish landings with tornado, and if she doesn't air dodge frequently, shuttle loop her! To edgeguard her, simply tornado over the ledge and then back out a bit. She will have to angle it super weird to not get hit by it, and will put her under very disadvantaged positions.

DK:

Bans: Ban Yoshi's. That's DK's best stage. He will go FD if you ban YI.

DK is a MU where you have to own him constantly. Aka, do not trade. Either neutral, or you hitting him are the only options. If you trade with him, you will lose. He does much more damage and knockback than you.

Tornado beats all of his options, but he can shield it and punish accordingly. This is a similar MU in terms of Zelda, where you poke their shield before going in. The only difference here, is that you don't wanna trade.

Watch out for B-Airs, it's his all-use move. He will use it to space, combo and even kill you.

To edgeguard him, you want to D-Air him at a 45 degree angle until he can only grab the ledge, then proceed to grab the ledge and kill him. Or you can tornado spam his Upb, and keep juggling him in the landings, then mix it up with something that kills like a D-Smash or a shuttle loop. Or you can go a little bit below the ledge and Upb, facing the away from the stage and shuttle loop his upb, then when he can only grab the ledge, grab it and kill him. Or if your Shuttle Loop gets staled simply mix it up with tornado's, or D-Airs. Even F-Smash works if he likes to land above the stage.

Good luck!

Can you please tell me how to fight toon link. I remembered the advice you gave me for peach and I used fair a lot vs the last peach I played and I won. This was a different peach than the one I usually play.
Sure!

Toon link:

Bans: Ban FD! Soooo annoying to play him there.

With Toon Link, the goal to win, is to not get hit by his proyectiles. This is done by approaching, and not playing carefully. If you simply stay away from him, you will get camped to death. His camping game is extremely varied and good.

For his camping game:

Boomerang/Arrow: Short hop tornado over his head. Tornado beats both! You can also shield either, and dash grab him/F-Air him. Remember to U-Throw if you grab him and the boomerang is coming back, so you can evade it.

Bombs: TL takes a bit to take out a bomb, if you can get up to his face just as he is about to throw it, you can grounded Shuttle Loop him (GSL) and blow the bomb in his face, and also upb him. You can also bait this. Wait for him to expect this, or something similar, and dash grab him! D-Throw works great as a follow after this. GSL is a good follow up option too, so is shield>punish (F-Air/F-Tilt/Grab, depending of the distance of the throw, what did he do with the bomb, etc.).

Most TL's like to jump and camp. If this happens, do not chase him. You will get hit. Simpyl, shuttle loop him right away as he's jumping with a bomb or some proyectile. If he starts to bait this, wait it out, and do it again. There will be a point, where he will no longer jump if you do this correctly.

TL like to Z-Air you when you D-Throw. If this happens, walk towards them (DONT RUN) and GSL. It will work 100% of the time if they like to Z-Air. You can also walk, shield and then react to whatever he does. This is usually the best punish once he gets the "I won't Z-Air anymore"phase.

In the ground, simply approach towards him, shielding things from afar, tornadoing boomerangs and arrows, and poking his shield with Tilts. If you see yourself about to be punished, do this: Hit his shield, then forward roll behind him. He will grab/Jump, and it's a free punish. GSL is great for when he jumps and tries to B-ar you or something, and when he grabs, you can either N-Air, grab if he's close to the ledge (get him off the stage asap) or F-smash/D-Smash for the kill, or grab him to rack up damage. If you're a technical player, you can also U-Air/B-Air him at low percents, and combo him with U-Airs strings into an up b to get him off the stage. it's hard to do, but really rewarding when you do it correctly.

TL's usually like to boomerang/camp, bait an airdodge and then U-Smash you for the kill as you're air dodging into the ground. Simply don't land and go all the way away from him. If he's smart, he wil try to F-Air/N-Air you with a ful hop, you can then tornado that, D-Air, or F-Air/B-Air, or Down B away from him, depending of where he is, and where you're.

Finally, for the edgeguard part: Simply Down Air him at the usual 45 degree angle until he can only grab the ledge with his upb, and he doesn't have a bomb, and kill him. Or you can upb camp him at the edge. "You want to upb TL? Awesome, take this Shuttle Loop!" sort of.

Most TL's will upb towards you way before the ledge, in order to hit you, and get back to the ledge, or throw a bomb at your direction and distract you with it. Simply Down Air correctly. You beat both options with a well placed D-Air.

If he has a bomb in his hand, and you either succesfully edgeguarded him, or he "wont make it", expect the bomb to blow up and give him the chance to upb again. With this I mean, prepare yourself to edgeguard him again. Most of the time, simply grabbing the ledge will be enough for him to not make it back, but it all depends of where it blows up.

Good luck!

Excercise and what to eat?!?!

how does that work exactly?? I'm curious about it
Excercising and eating properly will give your body and mind the necessary vitamins and energy in order to work in the most efficient and best way.

Eating things like: Fruits, fish, meat, or anything that gives you energy, coupled with excercise is excellent.

Don't forget to drink a lot of water, and eat every 3 hours small portions!

TSM ZeRo

Thankyou. It looks like you know all the match ups.
No problem. Like always, if you have any more doubts, feel free to drop by and ask whatever you want!

I know how to play all the MU's in the game, and know it's "ins and outs", however, I am better at certain MU's, and worser at others. Mainly based on how I react to things. Some MU's are easier if you react a certain way, and vice versa.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Zero, I know we've talked before, but what do you think are the best ways of improvement for a mid-level player aiming for a higher level play? How can one improve their mindset while playing and start to ingrain conscious thinking/reads/baits/all the high level tactics into their game?

Also, what are your views on maining/double-maining characters? I main Pit, and my goal is to become the best Pit and a top level player. I've also had a lot of fun w/ ICs and they are potentially one of the best in the game. How should I divide my time to reach my goal, but also develop a viable IC secondary?

TSM ZeRo

Zero, I know we've talked before, but what do you think are the best ways of improvement for a mid-level player aiming for a higher level play? How can one improve their mindset while playing and start to ingrain conscious thinking/reads/baits/all the high level tactics into their game?

Also, what are your views on maining/double-maining characters? I main Pit, and my goal is to become the best Pit and a top level player. I've also had a lot of fun w/ ICs and they are potentially one of the best in the game. How should I divide my time to reach my goal, but also develop a viable IC secondary?
1.- Hey!

The only real and effective way for a mid level player to achieve a "top player" status, is to practice harder than the top players. You need to efficiently use your time to practice. My Apex schedule is something like this:

6 AM>3 PM: School/Study
3:30/4PM>7 PM: Brawl practice. CPU tech skill practice, wifi MU practice, training mode perfecting things I'm not used to, etc. 3 hours of sitting down, focusing, and really improving different things of my game. I sit down with a glass of water, and plug in my headphones, and also bring a textbook to type down all the things that I'm noticing could help me on later, or on what I should work on later on.
7:30/8:00>9:00 PM: Excercise. Take the dogs to a walk, move around, etc. Moving your body, and breathing some fresh air everyday is very important to always have energy and play well! Both mentally, and phsycally.
9:30/10:pM>11 PM: Time to watch videos, and study down what's going on in the current meta game. What are the other top players doing in tournament? What tactics are they using? Strategies? I study all of this, and type the down in a word document and textbook, so I don't get "surprised" when I finally play them. Developing strategies for everything>preparing yourself for every scenario is the way to consistently win.

And then I use the rest of the time to sleep.

This schedule is also coupled with me only eating things that give me energy, and not "over eat" some kind of food. Aka, always eating varied things.

Lots of fruits, veggies, meat, A BUNCH OF MEAT, ham, chicken, FISH, FISH, FISH.

And LOTS of water.

I also eat every 3 hours small portions.

I do all of this, coupled with a steady and consistent practice to further develop my skills.

If you want to be better than a top player, practice harder than him/her, and study other players harder than them. Eventually, you will reach them. Add this to the fact that you should also attend as many offline tournaments as you can. Those are AWESOME practice. Varied and long practice sessions are AWESOME. Especially in the MU/Tricks/strategy department!

2.- Ic's are technically, the best in the game. Why? Powershield + Grab> Instawin any match up. But that is not "as easy" as it sounds.

In reality, subbing' Ic's at a pro level, isn't that hard. You only need one thing: Not drop grabs. If you're a pro, you would already have the smarts "up there" to be able to out-read another pro, and grab him enough times to win a set. This is why IC's area common secondary at pro level. You don't require much specifical practice with them, to use them effectively (Counterpick their counterpick).

Aka, they wanna use FD with a char like Falco? Go IC's! Etc.

In my opinion, simply practice the CG against every top tier character, or any char that gives you troubles, on stages like FD/BF/SV (you don't really wanna use them somwhere else) and try to use them whenever you can in tournament. Whenever, when? When you would have a huge advantage if doing so. Like someone wants to go FD with a char who is very bad vs IC's, and so on.

Keep playing Pit, and getting better. Watch Earth a lot, and practice those IC's cg's.

You got this!

Hopefully I helped you :).

//

Guys, feel free to post replays/videos so I can give better advice!

Top Bottom