• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CT ZeRo's Coaching Program! (I'm back!)

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Now I actualy think about it
I have a good friend of mine who does play brawl with me for like almost 2 years now.
I do improve by playing him like every week and he also gets better.
He mains R.O.B. and I actualy need advice for the mu.
It's the famas guy from 1 of my vids.
The problem I have vs him is that I have the feeling that I do play really bad. Messing up a lot of technical stuff and I do not think as well as I use to. I also suicide at least once a match.
I think this is an psychic problem I have.
I do not want to lose at all kosts because it's still a friend of mine.

Now the questions
How do I play vs R.O.B.? And what Advice do you have for me to not mess up every thing I do?
ROB is a MU where the key factor is to NOT hesitate. ROB can punish from everywhere -Lasers, Gyros, F-Tilt, etc.- which means that you can't stay in between 'defense' or 'aggressive' styles. You have to stay with one for the most part. If you always stay at mid range, not knowing what to do, ROB will just get free pressure on you. This is how MK can lose this MU. The other reason is to get hit by N-Air way too much.

I play this MU depending of the ROB I'm playing. For example, if it's a ROB who likes to camp, I would D-Air camp, bait a laser, and move inside him. Depending of his reaction, I will dash grab -shields-, Tornado -if he spaces with something- run in and F-Air - If I'm not sure what to do- and so on.

Tornado owns ROB very hard. You just have to watch out for F-Smash and charged Laser. Otherwise, he can't really do much. Pressure his shield a bit with down airs, -so you don't get f-tilted- and then shield poke him with Tornado.

Be careful of N-Air when juggling. U-Air combos destroy ROB, but try to bait the N-Air, or attack him before he can do it. ROB usually wants you to Shuttle Loop so he can N-Air you. Tornado on landings works amazing for when he tries to land.

This MU is very easy if you can pressure without getting punished, aka, spacing correctly.

For the edgeguard part, it's simple. Simply watch out for his rising U-Air from when he is coming below you -Shuttle loop those if you're near the edge, or jump above him and D-Air him after he finishes the U-Air, or while he is doing it. Requires timing.-, Shuttle Loop him when he's coming horizontally -remember he can't airdodge, he can ONLY N-Air your shuttle loop. Keep doing it until he is out of gas to keep UPb'ing, or he dies.-

Repeated down air over his head to gimp him works wonders too. Save one or two jumps to make it back to the ledge, and repeat the process. Shuttle Loops for when he's making it back horizontally after this works wonders!

The other thing is probably tech skill, or focus.

I think it's focus what you mean.

Try to focus. Feel in your mind hitting ROB, and destroying him until he explodes. Really. Focus on that you're going to completely roll over him, and that he's no match for you.

This will give you a confidence boost, and you will not hold back or miss things. But be careful, confidence can make you play careless, which is dangerous at times.

Good luck.

Thankyou. .
NP.

Kirby is annoying imo, and this should make things annoying for him, thanks!

about the Fthrow > Uair combo, what I do is to SDI the Uair the hell away from him to avoid getting grabbed again.
Oh yes! I totally forgot that I SDI'ed up and away from Kirby after the U-Air, and THEN mashed jump plus down air. I'm so used to it that I forgot to mention it! My bad, haha.

Thanks for reminding me.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
just to make sure I'm doing things right :3

against DK, when I put him offstage, somewhat low, I noticed most of the time they use UpB at a height they have to:

A) Sweetspot the edge

B) Get on the ground in a way they have no landing lag

So what I do is to time an edgehog to get the invincibility frames and when they're close enough I just let go of the edge to Nair, Uair them of even Reverse Shuttle Loop if they're not going for the edge.

Or in other cases I just wait for them under the edge to Shuttle Loop their recovery, but I don't know why I use the first option mostly to get damage rather than killing, or if the gimp happens. But the second option is like a more reliable option when in kill percents.

What do you think about this and/or what do you do or would recommend?

TSM ZeRo

just to make sure I'm doing things right :3

against DK, when I put him offstage, somewhat low, I noticed most of the time they use UpB at a height they have to:

A) Sweetspot the edge

B) Get on the ground in a way they have no landing lag

So what I do is to time an edgehog to get the invincibility frames and when they're close enough I just let go of the edge to Nair, Uair them of even Reverse Shuttle Loop if they're not going for the edge.

Or in other cases I just wait for them under the edge to Shuttle Loop their recovery, but I don't know why I use the first option mostly to get damage rather than killing, or if the gimp happens. But the second option is like a more reliable option when in kill percents.

What do you think about this and/or what do you do or would recommend?
Good ideas. Try D-Air'ing instead of N-Air. Sometimes you can gimp them really easy that way.

Tornado over the ledge to rack up damage is great too.

But in general, your ideas are good. However, SL really goes over DK's recovery. Abuse it.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Thank you very much for the advice! I had already implemented the micro-planning into getting kills/reading, but it never occurred to me to be think about it every single action during the game. I'm now working on my efficiency in thinking, as it's very difficult to maintain a fast pace, for now.

TSM ZeRo

Thank you very much for the advice! I had already implemented the micro-planning into getting kills/reading, but it never occurred to me to be think about it every single action during the game. I'm now working on my efficiency in thinking, as it's very difficult to maintain a fast pace, for now.
I'm glad that it helped you. The key factors to win is to constantly plan and think the best options -given the circumstances- faster than your opponent, and right away without any hesitation.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
What can Pit do vs Fox? I know your not a Pit player, but if you don't know and can explain it from the MK perspective I can understand the matchup because Pit/MK play similar IMO. I have lost to many Foxes in my tournament career. I've lost to a local Fox player. I lost to Zeton & Gnes's Fox @ Whobo 4 mid tier singles. I've lost to Foxes on wifi ladder, and I just lost to LionArmor's Fox in tournament today. I really need help in the matchup and also being smart in general, but you've already gave me advice for that. Any tips vs Fox?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I'm glad that it helped you. The key factors to win is to constantly plan and think the best options -given the circumstances- faster than your opponent, and right away without any hesitation.
This is one of my main problems when I play. I can make good decisions a lot (except when im tired), but I dont do it fast enough so my opponent hits me first or I miss a punish or something like that. A lot of people told me to play faster and improve my reaction time, one person tells me this every time i ask for advice.

edit:

:rob:
[COLLAPSE="Open"]ROB is a MU where the key factor is to NOT hesitate. ROB can punish from everywhere -Lasers, Gyros, F-Tilt, etc.- which means that you can't stay in between 'defense' or 'aggressive' styles. You have to stay with one for the most part. If you always stay at mid range, not knowing what to do, ROB will just get free pressure on you. This is how MK can lose this MU. The other reason is to get hit by N-Air way too much.

I play this MU depending of the ROB I'm playing. For example, if it's a ROB who likes to camp, I would D-Air camp, bait a laser, and move inside him. Depending of his reaction, I will dash grab -shields-, Tornado -if he spaces with something- run in and F-Air - If I'm not sure what to do- and so on.

Tornado owns ROB very hard. You just have to watch out for F-Smash and charged Laser. Otherwise, he can't really do much. Pressure his shield a bit with down airs, -so you don't get f-tilted- and then shield poke him with Tornado.

Be careful of N-Air when juggling. U-Air combos destroy ROB, but try to bait the N-Air, or attack him before he can do it. ROB usually wants you to Shuttle Loop so he can N-Air you. Tornado on landings works amazing for when he tries to land.

This MU is very easy if you can pressure without getting punished, aka, spacing correctly.

For the edgeguard part, it's simple. Simply watch out for his rising U-Air from when he is coming below you -Shuttle loop those if you're near the edge, or jump above him and D-Air him after he finishes the U-Air, or while he is doing it. Requires timing.-, Shuttle Loop him when he's coming horizontally -remember he can't airdodge, he can ONLY N-Air your shuttle loop. Keep doing it until he is out of gas to keep UPb'ing, or he dies.-

Repeated down air over his head to gimp him works wonders too. Save one or two jumps to make it back to the ledge, and repeat the process. Shuttle Loops for when he's making it back horizontally after this works wonders!

The other thing is probably tech skill, or focus.

I think it's focus what you mean.

Try to focus. Feel in your mind hitting ROB, and destroying him until he explodes. Really. Focus on that you're going to completely roll over him, and that he's no match for you.

This will give you a confidence boost, and you will not hold back or miss things. But be careful, confidence can make you play careless, which is dangerous at times.
[/COLLAPSE]

:kirby2:
[COLLAPSE="Open"]Kirby is one of those MU's where you have to 'box' your opponent in a corner, also known was, 'space them' out,

What to do.

1.- Grounded. Just walk back and forth slowly -just 2 steps at most- and anytime he approaches walk back, and when he gets in range, D-Tilt, F-Tilt his attacks, dash grab his shield approaches, and GSL when he gets above you and is falling down towards you. Ocassional shields works wonders too.

If he likes to stay in the air, simple shuttle loop him, double jump F-Air, SH U-Air, and so on.

2.- Air. D-Air camp him, and then fall down with a F-Air moving away from him. If you space it correctly, he can't punish you - you have to do it so if he tries to approach, he get hit, otherwise he will just shield grab you-.

[/COLLAPSE]

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Zero ty for your help once again
I played the R.O.B. yesterday and It went really good. For the first time I was relaxed when playing him. I saw his habbits I saw his weaknesses and I sawe my strenghts against him. I was even able to win with my dk :)

TSM ZeRo

What can Pit do vs Fox? I know your not a Pit player, but if you don't know and can explain it from the MK perspective I can understand the matchup because Pit/MK play similar IMO. I have lost to many Foxes in my tournament career. I've lost to a local Fox player. I lost to Zeton & Gnes's Fox @ Whobo 4 mid tier singles. I've lost to Foxes on wifi ladder, and I just lost to LionArmor's Fox in tournament today. I really need help in the matchup and also being smart in general, but you've already gave me advice for that. Any tips vs Fox?
This MU is ALL about the momentum. Fox is a character who easily racks up leads, or swings the match around in his favor. The best way to beat him, is TO NOT get hit -BY ALL MEANS- by his D-Air, U-Tilt, or grabs. Getting hit by these moves is not the bad part, it's the follow ups. Coupled with laser damage.

I first developed counters to Fox's ways of hitting those moves, and practiced hard to never get hit by them.

And also to edgeguard and juggle him correctly.

In this MU,atleast from the MK side, I try to NOT camp when we're in even stocks, since Fox's lasers are too much. But when I have a stock advantage, I will camp hardcore to keep my stock advantage. And he cant really shoot lasers, since I will probably be in a kill percent, so he only needs to get that letal hit on me.

This is an example of what I said http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PWiTT5isNs

From the pit perspective, you can do what I do, and you can also keep leads better, since you have a proyectile and a shield to defend yourself from Fox's lasers.

GL

Zero ty for your help once again
I played the R.O.B. yesterday and It went really good. For the first time I was relaxed when playing him. I saw his habbits I saw his weaknesses and I sawe my strenghts against him. I was even able to win with my dk :)
Awesome. Good job.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I placed very poorly at the regional (33/70) and lost to people who I feel are worse than I am, but overall I was pleased because I feel that the errors that I was making were ones that will eventually disappear on my current rate of improvement (e.g. I had to continuously remind myself of the gameplan and focus on what I was doing, instead of being able to automatically do what I was wanting to). That a lot of SDs were involved is also part of it. :laugh:

TSM ZeRo

I placed very poorly at the regional (33/70) and lost to people who I feel are worse than I am, but overall I was pleased because I feel that the errors that I was making were ones that will eventually disappear on my current rate of improvement (e.g. I had to continuously remind myself of the gameplan and focus on what I was doing, instead of being able to automatically do what I was wanting to). That a lot of SDs were involved is also part of it. :laugh:
Just keep improving. It's great that you know what your problems are, so you can solve them.

I'll be soon posting an article about problem-solution in clashtournaments.com

Make sure to stay tuned for when I release it!

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I am wondering
why do you main mk and since when?
what 5 mu's are your favorites?
how did you came up with your tag?

TSM ZeRo

You're a very good player. Good tech sklill and control of your character I however noted one notorious flaw in all your games: You get too anxious.

Sometimes you would recklessly attack when it wasn't needed (such as attacking when they have a full shield, or attacking when you could of simply move away, etc.) or when it wasn't the right moment. You also land too much with aerials. Most of the times, your opponents caught onto this and capitalized you for it.

Also, you should press a bit more your advantages. You were too agressive when losing, and too passive when winning. Neither is bad. It all depends, however, you have to press your advantages in order to win. If you're winning, and you just launched Diddy in to the air, make sure to follow up with something, or punish his reactions hard for when he tries to get back to the stage. You would stay passive for too long, and give free stage control for no reason (like against the Diddy, for example). This allows for comebacks, or let your opponent know that there are spots where you simply won't punish him. Both are very bad in the long run.

Keep it up, I liked your MK!

I am wondering
why do you main mk and since when?
what 5 mu's are your favorites?
how did you came up with your tag?
I main MK since he's the character I have the most fun with in Brawl. He feels similar to a Melee character, and I love Melee. I then in 2010 discovered that he was a super good character. I always thought he was bad, haha. Since 2008 I've been using him in tournaments.

1.- MK
2.- Snake
3.- Pikachu
4.- Marth
5.- IC's

Back in 2004, I used to play a LOT of Ragnarok Online. Then one time I read this awesome guide, and the guy who made it was called "ZeRo", I thought it was cool, so I decided to stop using my old gamertag (RED) and use 'ZeRo' since early 2006.

Yep.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
whatup zero, how u doing?

got a question.

other commitments don't allow me much time to practice now. i will only have a couple of hours to practice this week before a major tournament.

what would u recommend me doing in those couple of hours to prepare for the tournament best?

thanks

TSM ZeRo

whatup zero, how u doing?

got a question.

other commitments don't allow me much time to practice now. i will only have a couple of hours to practice this week before a major tournament.

what would u recommend me doing in those couple of hours to prepare for the tournament best?

thanks
Hey! I'm doing incredible. And you?

First of all, read this AWESOME guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=129236

Trust me, It WILL make you play so much better. AKA, reach your true potential.

Also, make sure to play with as many people as you can, and practice tech skill as much as you can.

GL!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Do you think a bad controller could be making me play a lot worse? I know it makes me play worse but I dont know how big of a difference it makes because I never had a good controller before with out problems.Thankyou for giving me so much advice and other people when you dont have to. If I ever become a high level player (I probably wont) I will do the same thing.

TSM ZeRo

im good! sure thanks i'll have a read.
:)

Do you think a bad controller could be making me play a lot worse? I know it makes me play worse but I dont know how big of a difference it makes because I never had a good controller before with out problems.Thankyou for giving me so much advice and other people when you dont have to. If I ever become a high level player (I probably wont) I will do the same thing.
Yes, controllers afect A LOT. Like a LOT. I'm extremely picky and careful with my controllers. In fact, I don't allow anyone to (but me, of course) to use my tournament controller.

You should get a new one, this is a good place to get them from: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-23-49-en-70-2ola.html

They're currently re-stocking them, though. You can also go to tournaments and try to buy a controller from a Smasher. This is a good way, since you can try out the controllers in real matches and pick the one you like the most.

Don't have that mentality. You can do anything. Please, give this thread a read, I'll guarantee you that you will get MUCH better at Brawl: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=129236

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
how do you guys think the play asia(white japanese) controllers compare to the normal nintendo ones?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou!
I read it very quickly because I have school. I will go back to it later.

TSM ZeRo

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Zero I really need help atm.
this weekend I have a litle smashfest and I have to face diddy probably
I used to kick diddy's bud because I mained Diddy before but lately I am getting bad at the mu.
I just don't know how to play against him anymore. In some cases I don't know what to do and I just upB to get the **** out. It's getting really annoying and I used to beat a player much better then me quite often and now he kinda ****s on me:(

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Hi Zero, can you please tell me If i played this match up correctly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuN-uo7OJY
My opponent is not a wario main, he said he uses every character in the game iirc. I was using my terrible controller doing the match, so thats why I messed up a lot.
I am trying very hard to learn new match ups. I think a majority of the time when I lose sets on All Is Brawl, its not because my opponent is much better than me, but because I dont know the match up well. I once played a very predictable zss and I always knew what he would do 90% of the time but I still lost the set from not knowing the match up. I wont be playing brawl for more than a week at least because I still have to buy a new controller, so take your time replying :)
Im very excited to see your doubles matches at Apex if it's on the stream. Good Luck!

TSM ZeRo

Zero I really need help atm.
this weekend I have a litle smashfest and I have to face diddy probably
I used to kick diddy's bud because I mained Diddy before but lately I am getting bad at the mu.
I just don't know how to play against him anymore. In some cases I don't know what to do and I just upB to get the **** out. It's getting really annoying and I used to beat a player much better then me quite often and now he kinda ****s on me:(
I think that one of your problems about Diddy are physological too.

I just wrote an article for ClashTournaments about 'Tournament Nerves', I reccomend all of you to check it out. If you're having troubles against certain players, or doing well at the tournaments you're going to, this is definitely a good read: http://clashtournaments.com/?p=154

Diddy Kong relies completely on combo'ing you from Bananas. He will try to hit you with them always, since it's a good damage source and he can also punish you from a very big distance. However, they have a HUGE weakness. Diddy can only combo you with bananas if he has the space to do so. So the best way to counter this, is to whenever you're going to be hit by a banana, try to get hit by them as far away as possible from Diddy. Mostly, corners. This is because for when you get hit by the bananas, Diddy can't combo you.

This a great of example of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Y9pRs4zFw

Also, sometimes it's just better to play really campy vs Diddy, like M2K is doing. Diddy has a very hard time catching MK in Smashville.
In general you want to play very safe, and space everything from as far as possible with also the least amount of lag. FH D-Airs and tornados to beat a shield once it's weakened are your best options. Everything else can be easily beating by shielding and glide tossing towards you. Running and shielding can work if you can react to an immediate grab by Diddy after he glide tosses the banana. You can also roll behind his defense wall of bananas and peanuts, or dash grab if he likes to shield a lot. But be careful of his baits. Diddy can simply glide toss from his shield and bait you very easily for a free hit, so do not do this very often. Mix it up.

Hi Zero, can you please tell me If i played this match up correctly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuN-uo7OJY
My opponent is not a wario main, he said he uses every character in the game iirc. I was using my terrible controller doing the match, so thats why I messed up a lot.
I am trying very hard to learn new match ups. I think a majority of the time when I lose sets on All Is Brawl, its not because my opponent is much better than me, but because I dont know the match up well. I once played a very predictable zss and I always knew what he would do 90% of the time but I still lost the set from not knowing the match up. I wont be playing brawl for more than a week at least because I still have to buy a new controller, so take your time replying :)
Im very excited to see your doubles matches at Apex if it's on the stream. Good Luck!
You generally played well. I would however reccomend SH U-Airs to box wario, and more FH F-Airs while moving backwards. You used your N-Air very well in general, but in some instances, using another move would of been better. For example, sometimes you N-Aired when you should of F-Air or U-Air to box him better, this is because he got above you, and F-Air prevents him to get enough horizontal movility to get to you, and U-Air stops him from above completely.

For example, at 0:15 is a good example of this. Right here you should of U-Aired to prevent him from entering with a D-Air.

Also at 3:50 you lowered your opponent's shield a lot. At this time you could of SH tornado him for free. Remember to do it above him, so if he jumps or plans to jump, he gets caught in it anyway.

Also, VERY good D-Air at 4:39 to knock him off the stage. Very good read.

In general solid. I'm glad you've improved a lot so far! Keep up the good work.

Hmmm, I think that MU's are very, very important. Even if you're better than someone, you can still lose due to MU problems. Just keep learning every MU. That's the best part of AiB, usually every opponent uses someone different. There will be a point where you will get to know every character's flow and tricks to beat MK. Then when someone tries to use those tricks against you, they won't work.

Also, thank you very much! QuiKsilver and I are preparing a lot for doubles. We really want to win :).

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou so much. I didnt even notice I improved besides using less up b and a lot less dsmash. I think I play A LOT better when i play characters that aren't annoying. When I play diddy kong or falco I get so annoyed from them that I spam up b and get punished for it. Tornado is one of mk's moves that I dont use a lot, I even use utilt more than tornado sometimes. I've been using it more in the past few weeks and It helped me a lot.

TSM ZeRo

Thankyou so much. I didnt even notice I improved besides using less up b and a lot less dsmash. I think I play A LOT better when i play characters that aren't annoying. When I play diddy kong or falco I get so annoyed from them that I spam up b and get punished for it. Tornado is one of mk's moves that I dont use a lot, I even use utilt more than tornado sometimes. I've been using it more in the past few weeks and It helped me a lot.
That's the mental advantage of those kind of characters -Diddy, Falco, Olimar, IC's, etc.-. But when you actually remain calm and take smart decisions when playing against those characters they become SO much easier. I know it because, for example, I hate playing against Falco or Olimar, since they endless camp always hit you, and it's very hard to approach them.

I love MK's tornado! Use it more, definitely. It's such a wonderful move if well applied.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. I will try to make my opponents sheild a lot and then use tornado

TSM ZeRo

Thankyou. I will try to make my opponents sheild a lot and then use tornado
FH D-Airs, D-Tilt/F-Tilt, F-Air while walking backwards spacing to pressure shields or condition people to shield a lot is a GREAT way to get dash grabs or tornados for free.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I actualy love your player spotlights and I am wondering
are you doingmore stuff from Japanes players?

TSM ZeRo

I actualy love your player spotlights and I am wondering
are you doingmore stuff from Japanes players?
Thank you.

I'm going to publish Otori's spotlight very soon. But that's my final spotlight. I might interview someone else just before Apex, but I'm not sure. At the moment, I want to interview Smashers in person with a camera. That would be much more interesting and the fans could get to know their favorite pros in a more personal way than text interviews. I'll be doing that for sure a lot in my USA trip.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Thank you.

I'm going to publish Otori's spotlight very soon. But that's my final spotlight. I might interview someone else just before Apex, but I'm not sure. At the moment, I want to interview Smashers in person with a camera. That would be much more interesting and the fans could get to know their favorite pros in a more personal way than text interviews. I'll be doing that for sure a lot in my USA trip.
awesome =D
I am such a huge Otori fan.

Top Bottom