• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Customized Controllers - EDIT: Lower prices & new samples

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ah wow really cool idea :)

what kind of sealer are u using nipoo

i wanna try this haha i have acrylics too (but not enough perma markers >____<)

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I'm actually considering going through with this, but the only thing that concerns me would be the durability of the artwork.

I would be absolutely willing to pay for something like this, but it'd kinda be a waste of money if you're a frequent, tournament player with sweaty hands. :urg: So I gotta ask: how long on average do you think the artwork would last? And is there a special coating out there that can preserve it even better?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I really wanna have one made!! too bad I'm underage to have a credit card and also have absolutely no knowledge on shipping details.... T.T

nipoo

Smash Cadet
I really wanna have one made!! too bad I'm underage to have a credit card and also have absolutely no knowledge on shipping details.... T.T
Awww. It could be cash and shipped with the controller (if you find out how to do that in your area).

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
That is too awesome. I definitely want one. You said you would do this at local tournaments? If so, will you be going to the next gigabits on the 17th? I'd gladly bring an extra 15-20 bucks to have this done to my controller.

FailProofFrank

Smash Cadet
man that's crazy...do you think you could do one with a Wolf theme to it, or Ganondorf (even tho i dont tournament play him, he's just so badass)...cuz if so i would definetly be willing to get one from you through the mail system...if you'd have it that is lol...

nipoo

Smash Cadet
man that's crazy...do you think you could do one with a Wolf theme to it, or Ganondorf (even tho i dont tournament play him, he's just so badass)...cuz if so i would definetly be willing to get one from you through the mail system...if you'd have it that is lol...
I could definitely do that (:

I recently drew a Ganon one but I forgot to take a picture of it ):

rhan

Smash Hero
Does my controller that's half purple, half silver and with a classic controller stick count as "customized"?

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
If i knew people who wanted that kind of stuff I can easily do it for 5$. Personally 15$ is asking for a bit too much.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Really fun looking. Too bad I don't want to play mail tag. D:
Again, get it if you can, looks great in general. (Toon link is the best art there)

nipoo

Smash Cadet
If i knew people who wanted that kind of stuff I can easily do it for 5$. Personally 15$ is asking for a bit too much.

Personally, it's a lot of work and $5 is definitely not worth the time it takes. I charge $10 instead, depending on how difficult the art in the particular case is.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Personally, it's a lot of work and $5 is definitely not worth the time it takes. I charge $10 instead, depending on how difficult the art in the particular case is.
Maaaaan it took you like 10 min to paint mine. =P

But yeah Nipoo definitely does good work, so it's worth the $10

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
alright, fair enough. If you made this controller, how much would you price it?

Hard Violet Strokes, smaller but hard magenta strokes, flicked magenta and blue paint. White buttons (except for joystick). All done with Gouache paint.
The strokes are clear on the buttons and the controller still feels fragile making it awkward. this is only a WIP as I still have to spray a clear acrylic layer on top.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Yup it's messy, but i'm not a painting fan anyway. What part of your designs make you feel it's worth at least $10?

but hey jackson pollock's style is pretty trippy once you analyze it long enough

nipoo

Smash Cadet
Yup it's messy, but i'm not a painting fan anyway. What part of your designs make you feel it's worth at least $10?

but hey jackson pollock's style is pretty trippy once you analyze it long enough
The actual character art.
It's very tedious to get a decent look on the controller.
It requires layers and layers and layers of paint and marker.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Have you considered doing them digitally and printing them onto blank stickers so that you can stick em on? I don't know where you can find premade sticky paper substances, my parents used to work in a printing shop and brought home a pack of transparent plastic sticker-like stuff. I used to make the designs on that, cut them out and stuck em to whatever i wanted to personalize.

nipoo

Smash Cadet
Can we request different characters?
Any character/animal/thing you want lol.

Have you considered doing them digitally and printing them onto blank stickers so that you can stick em on? I don't know where you can find premade sticky paper substances, my parents used to work in a printing shop and brought home a pack of transparent plastic sticker-like stuff. I used to make the designs on that, cut them out and stuck em to whatever i wanted to personalize.
Yeah I have. The thing is, that's less personalized. It's more like a premade sticker of a character rather than your own design. Not only that, but stickers limit the area you can cover and it limits the location where I can do it or you, should the sticker itself be personalized lol.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
not necessarily limiting. the sticker has take on the net shape of your controller and with that it can cover your controller completely. If you were to cover a cube with a single sticker, you make 6 squares connecting to each other, know where I'm getting at? I don't know about you, but i think presenting it like a sticker, doesnt make it less personalized, it makes it look more clean with a smooth finish. If you took a look at mine, you can see an unsmooth finish. If i had did that design on computer and print ed it out it would look a lot cleaner and smooth wouldn't it?

nipoo

Smash Cadet
not necessarily limiting. the sticker has take on the net shape of your controller and with that it can cover your controller completely. If you were to cover a cube with a single sticker, you make 6 squares connecting to each other, know where I'm getting at? I don't know about you, but i think presenting it like a sticker, doesnt make it less personalized, it makes it look more clean with a smooth finish. If you took a look at mine, you can see an unsmooth finish. If i had did that design on computer and print ed it out it would look a lot cleaner and smooth wouldn't it?
I think it's a lot harder to get small corners and get the dimensions of the curves and holes right enough so it looks flat and air bubbles don't happen. Too much unnecessary work when you could just paint it and get a more vivid, covering and quick image. Stickers are good for a small picture in the middle of a controller and nothing more, in my opinion.

Kith

Smash Ace
Stickers are for babies lol. I'd much rather have it painted on. There's much more room for customization.

Kith

Smash Ace
You can't compare a gamecube controller to a cube lol. The controller has curved surfaces, and stickers don't work very well on curves (especially if you're using the controller a lot).

Top Bottom