• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debater Nomination Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Marik

is a social misfit
He sucked up big time. I've only seen about 5 posts of his.
Lol. We already discussed this and I know you didn't want to mention me without sufficient proof. Except I have posts all over the place and have been here for a while. :dizzy:

Anyways, thanks for choosing me to be here, fellow Debaters. I've been wanting this Usergroup and the right to post in the Debate Hall for a while now.

I'm looking forward to being here and participating in these topics. See you around.

RDK

Smash Hero
Somebody knowledgeable please make a topic about Universal Health Care / insurance companies.

D

Deleted member

Knowledgeable enough to know it's the only viable system? Also, Welcome Marik. :) Hooray for GTA

Aesir

Smash Master
Somebody knowledgeable please make a topic about Universal Health Care / insurance companies.
If you mean the bill passing through congress right now I know very little about it. I do know it's almost like the failed Massachusetts system, where we're basically treated like cars lol.

If I could find the actual bill I would read it and make a post about it. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding the 2009 bill. =\ Then again it's 1,000 pages long so it's probably a bad bill.

Knowledgeable enough to know it's the only viable system? Also, Welcome Marik. :) Hooray for GTA
I never see you post in health care topics and that's really a shame I feel your presence would be almost mandatory. You're a knowledgeable and intelligent person, and you live in Canada I would imagine you would have a lot insight about Single payer.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ I heard CRASHiC mentioning about creating one, and from the looks of it, he has special circumstances which can be applied to him to certainly make the topic an interesting debate.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Right doesn't really solve anything by saying that. A for profit system will favor the rich, shaft the poor and sick and will generally create a sicker society. A Non-profit system will generally treat the people who need it.
I see.

But remember, there are a ton of other factors involved, such as funding, donors, distribution of medical equipment, and possibly taxes to raise the money for said supplies if it isn't a profitable organization.

But for the most part, my previous statement rings true.

Aesir

Smash Master
I see.

But remember, there are a ton of other factors involved, such as funding, donors, distribution of medical equipment, and possibly taxes to raise the money for said supplies if it isn't a profitable organization.
Funding: Canada spends less then we do on health care. 11-12% of their GDP is spent on health care. We spend roughly 16% of ours on healthcare.

Donors: Are you talking about Organ donors? I fail to see how a system switch would really change that.

Distribution: You have to elaborate.

Medical equipment: Inner cities our hospitals are very staffed well and well equipped it's rural areas that are having trouble. switching systems wouldn't be diverting resources as we would be switching to a government funded system. (Please note funded is not the same as run.)

Taxes: Canadians spend less then 1% more on taxes than Americans, furthermore if 16% of GDP is already going toward health care why not just put that into a system that will cover everyone. Instead of subsidizing the bureaucrats of the insurance companies.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Funding: Canada spends less then we do on health care. 11-12% of their GDP is spent on health care. We spend roughly 16% of ours on healthcare.

Donors: Are you talking about Organ donors? I fail to see how a system switch would really change that.

Distribution: You have to elaborate.

Medical equipment: Inner cities our hospitals are very staffed well and well equipped it's rural areas that are having trouble. switching systems wouldn't be diverting resources as we would be switching to a government funded system. (Please note funded is not the same as run.)

Taxes: Canadians spend less then 1% more on taxes than Americans, furthermore if 16% of GDP is already going toward health care why not just put that into a system that will cover everyone. Instead of subsidizing the bureaucrats of the insurance companies.
I have to leave now, but good points.

I'll elaborate later, but Ontario pays for health care through OHIP, so that's not what I was referring too. But I'll get back to you.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Ding ding ding.

The Debate Hall was created to be an upscaled Pool Room of sorts where people could seek refuge from the generally uncouth and random sort of discussion that goes down in the PRoom, and buckle down for some smartypants stuffs. There's just no reason for it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yo, check this out: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242892

If anyone wants to grill someone from here, I can quote and paste it into that topic. You can send me the stuff via PM for anonymous or here for public. Basically, I want to give PG members the chance to improve, not just post the same way until they get annoyed. Improvement is more important to me.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Aesir, I was merely making generalized statements, not specific semantics regarding health care issues. So, judicial, educational, federal, military, and the like.

You mentioned a system that's the most efficient, where it's a non-profit organization. Most of these systems need funding in the first place, whether it's taxes or a separate fee.

In Ontario, OHIP pays for most aspects of health care, especially for citizens 18 years and younger. In the U.S.A., I have heard the doctors bill you before examination if you don't have insurance, or they send it to collections, which then tracks you down.

Anyways, we should continue this discussion in an actual thread once it's created. I'm not the most knowledgable person around when it comes to health care and insurance subsidizing.

FearTheMateria

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, i'm sitting on the fence when I review CStick...

arguments like the first one on THIS page shows his potential...

But when he argues with me HERE he seems to lose the logos (or logic) and argues strictly on the emotional appeal to the point where I just left the thread altogether. And his counter racism argument almost seems, well, racist. XD.

If I can see more logical arguments from him, I'd like to get him cleared to go in!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah, i'm sitting on the fence when I review CStick...

arguments like the first one on THIS page shows his potential...

But when he argues with me HERE he seems to lose the pathos (or logic) and argues strictly on the emotional appeal to the point where I just left the thread altogether. And his counter racism argument almost seems, well, racist. XD.

If I can see more logical arguments from him, I'd like to get him cleared to go in!
Pathos refers to emotions.

Mewter

Smash Master
Pathos refers to emotions.
Hilarious. :chuckle:
I'm going to make my way over to the grilling thread and check the contestants over.

Nomination edit:

-thegreatkazoo: Seems exceptional, except for maybe the last link that he posted in The Center Stage :ohwell:
If he makes more quality posts, then he's got my vote!

-F1ZZ: I looked at the links he posted. From what I see, he's pretty good. Just post a bit more so that we can more clearly see whether you're qualified.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Speaking as an outsider on the debate you cited, Fear, I actually felt CStick had the superior logic and that you were the one, in fact, arguing on the emotional level. You use things like "after a hard day's work" and the mere circumstancial fact that Gates was black as evidence in your argument. CStick's counter-racism example is not racist, it's seeing how well the logic you've put forth applies to a remixed set of conditions, and it's a very effective debating tactic. I also thought his argument seemed more emotionally removed from the situation, though I'm only partway through the topic (good read).

Mewter

Smash Master
So long as we're going on this vacation posting, I'm going to be less available from July 31st to at least August 3rd.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm going to randomly disappear without a trace from early August until some time after midnight October 13th, 2027.

I may only be joking though, it's up for debate :teeth:

/bad puns that are not actually, by definition, puns

:034:

RDK

Smash Hero
Oh, and by the way, to all the members of the DH that voted "yes" in the Ban MK thread, I'm literally ashamed of you. You're a disgrace to the Debate Hall. Way to represent.

Especially some of the senior members. I'm looking at you, Delorted; you guys should know better.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well, I personally voted pro-ban because:

1) I don't really care either way but I'd like to see what will happen if he is banned.
2) You don't talk about fight clu- ... oh wait.

:034:

Aesir

Smash Master
Oh, and by the way, to all the members of the DH that voted "yes" in the Ban MK thread, I'm literally ashamed of you. You're a disgrace to the Debate Hall. Way to represent.

Especially some of the senior members. I'm looking at you, Delorted; you guys should know better.
It's brawl who cares. Sides the sooner MK is banned the sooner I can just use low tiers and win. =(

I did for a while think he should have been banned, then a debate kinda blew up in the CT thread and I remembered why I should listen to that melee voice of reason inside my head. =[

Aesir

Smash Master
That's your excuse? For shame, man. For shame.
I edited my post to explain seriously why. The low tier thing was just a perk lol.

Besides it doesn't even matter what you voted the SBR said their vote is 2/3rds of the vote. Which is kinda funny, the minority has more power LOL.

D

Deleted member

Lol I had no idea you posted this. If you wanna get down and dirty and debate MK, let's ****ing do it, haha. I find this really entertaining actually. The first debate that I actually care about in a long time.

First and foremost though is my attitude towards the SBR. I never really realized how tyrannical it is. Yes, it's honest and honourable, but SBR members are invite-only. They're not elected. Imagine if your city was run by a bunch of dudes who graduated from university with a Masters in PoliSci. Imagine if they were simply invited to help run the show.

RDK

Smash Hero
Lol I had no idea you posted this. If you wanna get down and dirty and debate MK, let's ****ing do it, haha. I find this really entertaining actually. The first debate that I actually care about in a long time.

First and foremost though is my attitude towards the SBR. I never really realized how tyrannical it is. Yes, it's honest and honourable, but SBR members are invite-only. They're not elected. Imagine if your city was run by a bunch of dudes who graduated from university with a Masters in PoliSci. Imagine if they were simply invited to help run the show.
Yeah, I have no idea why they do it that way, but that's the way it runs. Coincidentally, there are quite a few SBR members that I don't think deserve to be there.

I say we start a coup! Down with the empire!

D

Deleted member

There are tons of SBR members who are complete and utter scrubs.

It's funny to think an elite group of pimple-faced nerds are choosing the way Smash is run competitively. :p Still! Vive la revolution!

Aesir

Smash Master
I'd imagine it's because of the sheer volume of members, but that's kinda BS imo. And it could simply be a internet election would be to easily corruptible, a hopeful candidate tells all his friends to make accounts and vote for him, or what have you.

Then again people might be voted in simply on likability without having even an ounce of knowledge about the game. I mean could you imagine if Sora Keyblade master was in the SBR? No seriously think about that for a second, then when you wake up from your coma you'll be like "****"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom