• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Come to Angelo. :)

Also, I got your PM but I was half asleep. (I woke up to pee and decided to check the boards real quick. :p) I'm not too sure since we're leaving from different places or whatever. Ask Hyli or someone.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I take it Angel was one of those who actually was like that youtube video....

NO ITEMS
ONLY FD
ONLY FOX

though ....no one really played with items. Besides what is so ridiculous? Skyworld? That's supposedly a good snake level, yet you complain? Just because the stage isn't flat with 2 or 3 platforms doesn't mean its not playable. Yes, some characters will have advantages over others, but I'm pretty sure that's the point of counterpicks...
I lean more toward that than items on FFA type play, yes.

My dislike for Skyworld has nothing to do with whether it's a good stage for my character or not. I don't think it's a fair stage. I understand why people play with items and crazy stages, I even do it sometimes. However, I don't think it has a place in tournament play.

Yes, counterpicks are supposed to give a character an advantage. However, certain stages make the fight more about the stage than the characters. Luigi's Mansion, for example, almost ensures camping and stalling. Norfair has persistent hazards that force players into bad positions and can deal massive damage, possibly even remove a stock. Fun? Sometimes. Tournament worthy? No.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@PBT rules. Good job. This is very thorough. The only change I would recommend about making the rules clear enough is to bold or red font the MAJOR changes from the SBR list. For example:

Stages:
FD
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
The Summit
Sky World

outRAGEous

Smash Journeyman
lmfao good one?. any mm in melee? my fox, falcon, marth, link, samus, pikachu vs your anything. 20 buks?

is kirbykid ready to be a kirbyman?

lawlz watch what you say to me???? haha do you wield some sort of power im not aware of? do you wish to fight me... haha you're about as threatening as your kirby, you can kick me out of pbt lmfao its not urs anyway. with bunkass rules you make up as you go anyway. ive been to one pbt that i was willing to drive to, you won't be hurting my feelings by banning me ill probably go and make you look like a ****** anyway.

someone still hasn't said anything about my challenge.............

rage vomits on dallas. it's like he knew all along.

dphizat: you should check out osaka if you like sushi. and i don't mind throwing in some green for ya, if you know what i meeeeen

kailo: that really isn't anything, isai mean mugged my friend when we went to mlg dallas.

The REal RoK KroK is bak lawlz: get into melee son.

also if anyone knows, when you take your wiimote places does it save your tag/configuration on it or do you have to do it there.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Gum is food.

Your body can digest it relatively well (compared to a non food like plastic, certain metals, etc), it provides energy for your body, etc. Even if you choose not to digest it/swallow it, it is still food. That would be like taking a bite out of a burger, but not actually swallowing anything. The burger is still food, even if you didn't swallow it.

So yes, it is indeed food.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
no i don't think gum is food, because technically you don't eat the gum .... i guess the sugar in the gum could be considered calories but besides that you don't consume anything
Concrete also has sugar in it. By that logic, concrete is also food.

absolutely not.
if you're stranded and starving and you stumble upon a pack of gum, that pack of gum will supply you no substenance. you will die.
Sustenance you mean? It has sugars in it which will provide you with energy; while it may not be very nutritional it does indeed provide your body with one of its necessities.

Gum is food.

Your body can digest it relatively well (compared to a non food like plastic, certain metals, etc), it provides energy for your body, etc. Even if you choose not to digest it/swallow it, it is still food. That would be like taking a bite out of a burger, but not actually swallowing anything. The burger is still food, even if you didn't swallow it.

So yes, it is indeed food.
Aha, but if I take a bite out of a rubber ducky does that make it food? Rubber is made from latex, which is a form of tree sap and sap is used to make syrup which I <3 on my waffles in the morning.

So following your logic a rubber ducky is also food.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Aha, but if I take a bite out of a rubber ducky does that make it food? Rubber is made from latex, which is a form of tree sap and sap is used to make syrup which I <3 on my waffles in the morning.

If your body can process it as food, digest it as food, and if the item gives you energy from consumption, then it is food.

So yes, technically a rubber ducky would be food in that sense. It is edible (I'm pretty sure you could make it moar edible), your body can digest it relatively well, and I'm sure it provides nutrition of some sort.

It may not be a common food, it's best use may not be as food, but it is still food.

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
Lylat cruise? Neutral? Nooo way. That stage is ridiculously unfair. Those edges discriminate against my recovery so bad. (yes even MK has trouble on stages)

I think 4 neutrals is plenty. Get rid of either PS1 or Yoshi's, most people hate them, just see which is hated the most.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Lylat cruise? Neutral? Nooo way. That stage is ridiculously unfair. Those edges discriminate against my recovery so bad. (yes even MK has trouble on stages
Yeah I hate Lylat Cruise too but I think its about time you stop pretending you are MK considering you could play your main at DPhats and it didn't matter.

I think 4 neutrals is plenty. Get rid of either PS1 or Yoshi's, most people hate them, just see which is hated the most.
If I had to choose I would choose to get rid of Yoshi's just because of the slanted edges which keep me from doing things involving the edge. PS1 is the ****! Keep it!

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Lylat cruise? Neutral? Nooo way. That stage is ridiculously unfair. Those edges discriminate against my recovery so bad. (yes even MK has trouble on stages)

Strike it, then. Everyone has neutrals that are bad for their character. For example, if I play your Fox I have to strike Yoshi's because the different elevations mean I can't duck under your lasers.

Genie

Smash Rookie
Magic lamp in the Cave of Wonders, Somewhere near
If I had to choose I would choose to get rid of Yoshi's just because of the slanted edges which keep me from doing things involving the edge. PS1 is the ****! Keep it!
I'd prefer Yohi's Island left in the primaries over PS1. Although YI does include certain variables such as the uneven platform and rising ghosts that can alter playstyle and recovery abilities PS1 seems to provides a larger amount of variables that could sway a match due to the variety of stage transformations, in my opinion.

For this reason I think it should be used as a CP. After all, that IS the goal of a CP, attempting to choose a stage that either A) Plays in your favor OR B) Affects your opponent in a negative way OR C) All of the above due to otherwise abnormal circumstances that arise more often than on other stages, which PS1 accomplishes very well, better so than YI, at least one time or another depending on the stage transformation.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I'd definitely keep in Yoshi's over PS1. Pokemon Stadium has a transformation with easy access to wall infinites, one that encourages stalling, one with a windmill that creates a mock cave-of-immortality (and can be used to get low % stage spikes WHILE ON STAGE) and edges that I've seen cost players lives that absolutely should not have been.

Genie

Smash Rookie

Food can be defined as material consisting essentially of protein, carbohydrate, and fat used in the body of an organism to sustain growth, repair, and vital processes and to furnish energy. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/food)

As for the rubber ducky, whether it could be defined as food or not would depend on whether it is made from natural or synthetic (man-made) rubber. Latex as found in nature is the milky sap of many plants that coagulates on exposure to air. It is a complex emulsion in which proteins, alkaloids, starches, sugars, oils, tannins, resins and gums are found. The word latex is derived from lac , the Latin word for "milk".

Synthetic latex on the other hand, is any type of artificially made polymer material with the mechanical (or material) property that it can undergo much more elastic deformation under stress, than most materials and still return to its previous size without permanent deformation.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
So I actually took the time to research it (yeah, I live an exciting life) and gum is classified as a confectionary which is a classification of food items rich in sugar (i.e candy).

Therefore, while it is like 0% nutritional, gum is food.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
First off we need an odd number of neutrals for the Stage Striking process (which imo is better than just hitting Random).

Second, Melee had 6 neutrals: FD, Battlefield, PS1, Yoshi's, FoD, and Dreamland. There we some stages I loved playing on (Dreamland, Yoshis) and some I hated (FD, Battlefiled) but there wasn't anything I could really do about it except strike only ONE stage.

Thrid, it would be horrible for the game to reduce the number of starters. Look at what the Japanese did for some time. FD was the only stage they played on (for w/e reason). Then we you look at the matches between bombsoldier and Ken, it's a little depressing. Without platforms, bombsoldier got wrecked.

Stage Selection = good. Let's not lose it.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
only if its fox or falco dittos. 3/5? random first. then counter(neutrals) or random after, up to you.

also drew, bowser's not a dragon. he's a turtle. unless it's your bowser. then it would be turtle soup after im done with it.
Falco dittos then I guess. And bowser is a dragon turtle, though I'm not seeing where I claimed he was a dragon anyways. He's my little icon because he's my favorite character to play in Brawl and I haven't changed it in... 6+ months probably. Melee Bowser is dumb and no fun.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
So I actually took the time to research it (yeah, I live an exciting life) and gum is classified as a confectionary which is a classification of food items rich in sugar (i.e candy).

Therefore, while it is like 0% nutritional, gum is food.
Almost anything that you can eat and digest is food. Insects are food, the eggs of most animals are food, hell... if it was legal even babies would be food. If it has some form of sugar/carb/fat, it's "nutritional" and thus food.

Stuff that wouldn't be food is **** that you can't properly/efficiently digest or swallow, like materials (leather, etc) and metals, so on and so forth.

Genie

Smash Rookie
First off we need an odd number of neutrals for the Stage Striking process (which imo is better than just hitting Random).

Stage Selection = good. Let's not lose it.
I agree, it's going to be **** difficult to get people to agree to lower the number of neutrals below five, and it shouldn't be. I think the issue that is being debated and needs to be more focused on is whether or not one or more of those stages should be swapped out for one of the current CPs (Lylat Cruise is the most prominant example) because they may represent a more neutral playing field as a whole. As for which of the currently sanctioned neutral stages, if any, should be swapped out I already expressed my opnion.

hell... if it was legal even babies would be food. If it has some form of sugar/carb/fat, it's "nutritional" and thus food.
Now we face the issue of whether or not to take definitions such as "food" in a literal context, as it applies to the individual, or to base it off of the currently accepted standards in society and common culture.

By looking at the term as a definition without relation to the outside world then we can in fact apply it to many things not considered food by our society. For example, when we look at some canabalistic societies (or a specific individual within that society) humans are used as food, as odd as that may seem to some of us it would be equaly odd to them that as a society we do NOT consider the use of people as such. However, when referred to in most of our normal conversations we don't think of humans when we hear the word "food", we think burgers, sandwhiches, pizza, etc. How the definition is interpreted varies between people, their background, and what context they choose to examine it in.

B

BillNyeT3HScienceGuy

This thread is now relevant to my interests.

Carbon chains, proteins, etc.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
I'd definitely keep in Yoshi's over PS1. Pokemon Stadium has a transformation with easy access to wall infinites, one that encourages stalling, one with a windmill that creates a mock cave-of-immortality (and can be used to get low % stage spikes WHILE ON STAGE) and edges that I've seen cost players lives that absolutely should not have been.
ok the edges can be worked around, the game has been out long enough for people to practice around those kind of stage shenanigans
remember the first few months when EVERYONE would get gayed out by the edges of FD? it still occurs from time to time, but by now everyone has figured out, dont go too far under the ledge.
same with PS1's ledge. its a tiny lip, so dont get stuck under it.

i wont argue for the other shenanigans, those are truly horrid and no matter how much you practice, you cant avoid a wall infinite, or stalling on the rock transformation. the only one you can truly practice is teching against the windmill.

but i still love the stage, and still want it to be a neutral
:D

i'd have to disagree on the Lylat Cruise as neutral. the big distracting background alone is reason enough to not have it as a neutral.
Halberd would be better as a starter.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I agree, it's going to be **** difficult to get people to agree to lower the number of neutrals below five, and it shouldn't be. I think the issue that is being debated and needs to be more focused on is whether or not one or more of those stages should be swapped out for one of the current CPs (Lylat Cruise is the most prominant example) because they may represent a more neutral playing field as a whole. As for which of the currently sanctioned neutral stages, if any, should be swapped out I already expressed my opnion.

Now we face the issue of whether or not to take definitions such as "food" in a literal context, as it applies to the individual, or to base it off of the currently accepted standards in society and common culture.

By looking at the term as a definition without relation to the outside world then we can in fact apply it to many things not considered food by our society. For example, when we look at some canabalistic societies (or a specific individual within that society) humans are used as food, as odd as that may seem to some of us it would be equaly odd to them that as a society we do NOT consider the use of people as such. However, when referred to in most of our normal conversations we don't think of humans when we hear the word "food", we think burgers, sandwhiches, pizza, etc. How the definition is interpreted varies between people, their background, and what context they choose to examine it in.
Whatever man, I just want to eat babies.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
1. I LOVE WALL INFINITES!!!! Lol

2. I can F-Air under the edge and still recover, so yeah... Not a problem for me

3. I hate that ****ing windmill

4. I just suck at teching haha

5. Keep PS1!!! =]

d4bA

Smash Cadet
fall through stage (forest area) glitch is maybe a reason. Lower roof than *normal* may be another reason. Spread out platforms without one in the middle would be a reason. A couple transformations lead to wall infinites (if your d3 an even easier infinite). Just a few reasons off the top of my head.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
fall through stage (forest area) glitch is maybe a reason. Lower roof than *normal* may be another reason. Spread out platforms without one in the middle would be a reason. A couple transformations lead to wall infinites (if your d3 an even easier infinite). Just a few reasons off the top of my head.
Not saying you are wrong, but how did they test PS1 has lower than normal ceiling?

and platform spread doesn't count as a reason, cause it was that same in melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom