• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DG Interview Thread: Walrus? Toasted

RPS

• Total voters

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
What do you think about sand?
How is it to live in sand?
Or were you born in sand?
Does it feel good to be have the blood of The Master Race?

Would you consider ever name-changing? If so, what to?
What's your guilty pleasure?
Name 5 things I don't know about you.

Also, make a Rockin gay joke.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Is the song "Land Down Under" by Men at Work an accurate representation of Australian life?
Why do you look like you're 30 years old? Is there something you're not telling us?
How is it that you got into mafia?
How is it that you came to know Kat, and in your opinion why do you two work so well in a hydra? Also, why "Chuckie?"
Favorite and least favorite mafia performance and why?
Who's your arch nemesis?
Swiss, amazing player or extremely overrated?
Halo mafia, how didn't you guys win?
What does your average day consist of in Australia (serious question, I don't know and I'm actually really curious about this)?
Which players have the "funnest" playstyles in your opinion.
If you could fly 5 Dgamers to the Land Down Under for free and meet up with them, who would they be and why?
If you could meet anyone in the world (Dgamer or not) who would it be and why?
How did you find Smash Boards? Do you play smash competitively?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Why do people often confuse Austria for Australia but never the other way round?

:059:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
... *Clears throat* ... Uh, did you get that pic I sent ya? BE HONEST

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
-If you could have any superpower what would you have?
-Top 5 music artists?
-Favorite mafia games: Old, Not so Recent, and Recent
-Favorite open set up?
-What do you feel has been your best and worst mafia games?
-Favorite role in any game you have seen?
-What do you consider your play style?

Sqweedle

Smash Rookie
This is Soup still, just in case people didn't know.

- Your Shining Force II Mafia game influenced me to play that game. Needless to say I was impressed. Could you tell me what other games you would suggest?

- What is your favorite hobby, besides mafia?

- What's the weather like in Australia? Name some of the stereotypes of Australia that are true and some that are just rumor.

- What is something you've been wanting to do but you can't just get around to it yet? Mafia related or not.

- Who's the guy in your current avatar?

- Compliment rockin, then write him a poem.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Do you have any general advice for new players?

What is the one thing a town member should do when in a Mafia Game? How about a scumbag?

have you had any experiences in mafia games that left a serious impact on how you viewed the game or how you played, that taught you lessons and improved your play as a result? if so what were they?

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
What do you think about sand?

For those of you out of the loop, Van Der Zant is my surname and can be directly translated to "Of the Sand." Sand is ok though. I love going to the beach and swimming but I hate how sand gets EVERYWHERE. Like, I went swimming for 10 minutes and now I've got sand rubbing on my **** and it's in the car so **** YOU SAND!!!

How is it to live in sand? Or were you born in sand?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3e/Tuskenraider.jpg/250px-Tuskenraider.jpg

This is pretty much my life.

Does it feel good to be have the blood of The Master Race?

Hell yeah! Growing up, I always loved learning about my Oma and Opa's heritage and the various Dutch traditions they showed us. At my primary school (Grades 1-7) there were a lot of kids who were embarassed by their Indian/Greek/Italian heritage. You know what? I said **** you nerds and threw croquettes at them while wearing my orange jersey. The dutch (and I guess europeans in general) are very proud about their ancestry, and so am I. I have a theory (but I'll have to wait until I go to Holland to prove it) that Dutch immigrants are a lot more in-your-face about their heritage than actual living in Holland Dutchies, because being Dutch is probably normal to them, where as over in Australia they're in the minority. Don't get me wrong though, I love being Australian and I think I live in the luckiest damn country in the world, because we certainly pay for it (despite our dollar currently being stronger than the US, everything costs way more here. True story).

Would you consider ever name-changing? If so, what to?

I've thought about getting Premium a lot, because I have a job and I've always thought I should support a website I spend a fair bit of time on (i.e. getting Premium); I just never could be bothered or every time I've gone to sign up the payment process has been down.

Onto the actual question, for most sites that require signing up I generally just use vanderzant so I don't have to keep track of 10 different usernames. That and the fact that its pretty unique and usually not taken (I hate using numbers/underscores). And a general lack of creativity on my part for thinking up a cool username.

On this site most people refer to me as Vanz/Vandy, which is funny because growing up I've never been called that by my friends. Like most of my friends had nicknames that were funny derivatives of their surname, but not me.

So, I'd probably just change it to vanz or vandy, but I'm pretty sure they're both taken so maybe vandz. I could change it to something completely different but that'd just be confusing for everyone involved.

I also have a theory that the best mafia players don't capitalise the first letter of their name. It's a pretty amazing theory look:

vanderzant, marshy, frozenflame751, th3kuzinator, adumbro… WELP that theories ****ed lmao!

(Jks adum, you're pretty cool too I guess)

What's your guilty pleasure?

Coffee and lots of it. If I'm drinking long blacks with a dash of milk that I make myself at home, I usually down 3-4 cups while I'm studying/playing video games and mafia. Or if I'm at uni I'll swing by a cafe and get a Large Flat White-aciss as I like to call them. I can't drink as much coffee if it's predominately milk, but I usually can't help myself from getting one before a boring *** lecture.

Random aussie fact #2: Apparently the quality of coffee in the US sucks balls at most cafes, or so I've been told by my friends who've travelled abroad. Starbucks is also pretty non prevalent here. We have a lot of big coffee chains, but local cafes are usually where the atmos is at.

Apart from coffee because that's kinda boring, I love eating dutch liquorice aka droppies. For anyone who hasn't tried them, think of the saltiest food you've ever eaten then add some salt and wrap it in liquorice.
I hear Gheb eats a box a day.
If that sounds like something you'd like, go try some, but you probably won't like it. However, because most supermarkets in Australia don't stock the stuff, I generally don't have a constant supply of it. So it's not as if I can't survive without it. However when I do, my farts become pretty powerful and can clear a room on release.

Name 5 things I don't know about you.

1. I'm studying civil engineering at uni. I was always pretty smart at school (never the smartest, but I'd always be in the top couple of people in my subjects) but could never decide on what I wanted to do as a career after I finished school. So I just settled on architecture because it looked interesting, then ended up switching to engineering because architecture was way too artistic/creative for me. I'm half way to becoming a licensed engineer, and I'm still not completely sure if it's for me. I mean, I enjoy most of it but a lot of the stuff I find incredibly boring and tedious to learn; but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

2. I swim competitively and enjoy it immensely. Not just as a competitor but also as a fan of the sport. If I can earn enough money from engineering and set up myself in life I think I'd like to give it up and pursue swimming coaching.

3. My favourite game of all time is Pokemon RBY because of DAT NOSTALGIA. As a kid I only had a gameboy pocket and 2 games (game and watch gallery and pokemon blue) for about 2 years so I've probably done at least 30 play throughs of the game, and each time I still find new ways to have fun, whether by trying different pokemon teams or imposing artificial challenges on myself. It might not be as polished as other RPGs or stand the test of time in terms of Graphics/Story/Gameplay but I think it takes a special game to be one that you can play over and over and still have a completely new experience that passes the time.

4. I've never been to Holland or America but both are high on the priority list if I ever go travelling. I've been to Fiji and Vanuatu which were pretty cool though. I might not get the chance to travel until I'm earning my own living, but I hope to see the rest of the world one day :D.

5. I have a pet kangaroo named Kawaii who despite his name is quite fearsome in appearance. However, he is a loyal friend and companion to those who know him. I used to sit in his pouch and he would take me to school every day. At full speed he could cover about 10m in a single bound. However now that I can drive he mainly just guards our house all day. I'm not sure if you've ever seen a Kangaroo Kick, but the burglar who tried to rob our house hadn't either apparently. And now he's dead :cool:

Oh yeah, I may be lying about one of the above.
LOL I ****ing hate Pokemon!

Also, make a Rockin gay joke.

When Rockin went to rob a bank, he tied up the safe and blew the guard!

Is the song "Land Down Under" by Men at Work an accurate representation of Australian life?

Awesome song, I've never really listened to the lyrics properly but I'm sure they're very Australian. "Where beer flows and men chunder." Awesome. And if I ever needed a wrestling name it'd be "the thunder from down under."

Why do you look like you're 30 years old? Is there something you're not telling us?

Wait, are you talking about an actual photo of me or my avatar? Here's a recent photo of me downing an aforementioned flat white-icuss

How is it that you got into mafia?

I used to be interested in competitive Pokemon around the time of 4th gen (2007 iirc) so I frequented Smogon quite a lot. They had a mafia scene there, but it involved private communication and was built around a culture of IRC. Most of the game took place on irc, and no one generally posted in the game thread, apart from Voting and using funny day abilities.

I played one game there, around 2009/10 themed Nintendo Mafia. I was Mario, Town Doublevoter. Another player pm'd me on irc and gave me his role pm (he was Brock, Town Breeder, which basically on N0 he picked to players to "breed" and then if he was Night Killed, he'd be revived the following day with a combination of the two roles he chose to breed"). It was such a unique role and after interrogating him about some other events I was convinced he was legit. So I proved my role by asking getting the mod to answer a question about my role in private, and then copy pasted the log to him (which was 100% by the rules and mods would routinely help people do fake role pm's).

Anyway, together we led town by getting everyone to claim to him, and figuring out which claims were fake. Mafia played into our hands by eventually killing him, which meant he revived and got two new powers which confirmed 1 player as town and another as scum because they lied about their role. Town won pretty easily, as this role was ridiculously broken haha. It was a 20+ player game with two scum factions and an indy pair.

After this, I tried to fit in with the IRC community which played a lot of aimmafia style games with a MafiaBot on the IRC. However, most of the time I would get lynched for trying to scum hunt, or just generally for being an outsider. No one there really took it seriously and it was mostly just a bunch of friends having a laugh.

The rest is hazy, but I somehow made the logical leap to playing mafia on Smashboards, another site I used to frequent. And I stayed because I enjoyed forum mafia and the people here are pretty cool :p

How is it that you came to know Kat, and in your opinion why do you two work so well in a hydra? Also, why "Chuckie?"

Kat was an IC along with Ryker in my newbie game. Then Kat and I both rolled Town Masons in Pikmafia, which we both enjoyed a lot. Then I got invited to BIM:Redux, however iirc Frozen who hosted it invited more than 16 people to play, so I suggested that Kat and I could hydra because I'd had fun as a mason with him. I also wanted to try out a hydra as it seemed like a fun idea (all the cool kids were doing it) and after Pikmafia I thought Kat and I worked well enough together. At the time Kat approached mafia very differently to how I did, so I learnt a lot from him and picked up heaps of his nuances and methods he used to scum hunt.

At first, I think we worked well together as Town because I was pretty good at getting people to trust me and arguing my points, while Kat picked up on scum tells and in general got stellar reads. And because we were both very willing to listed to each others reads, I think we complemented each other well. This is key to a good hydra imo, and in fact key to a strong town in general (being able to listen to your town reads and being cooperative in the scum hunting process).

Pretty soon though I I developed my own way of reading people and scum hunting, and eventually I think we were good because we were just two smart townies who collaborated well.

As scum we were able to hind behind our persona and put on a pretty convincing act.

As far as I remember, Kat and I were brainstorming ideas for a hydra name, and Kat was looking at random youtube videos and said "How about Chuckie?" I thought he meant the Rugrats character, but he thought of the evil doll. And the name wasn't taken!

I was actually curious about this, so I dug up the aim log :p. Read it if you'd like!

[collapse=The Story of Chuckie…]Kataefi: (12:03:34 AM)I had a thought!
Kataefi: (12:03:46 AM)actually
Kataefi: (12:03:57 AM)more like a genious spark of imagination
Kataefi: (12:04:01 AM)we should be called chuckie
Kataefi: (12:04:07 AM)and have chuckie as our avatar
VanDerLaZant: (12:04:18 AM)from rugrats!!!!
Kataefi: (12:04:41 AM)haaa! I was thinking of the killer doll!
VanDerLaZant: (12:04:50 AM)oh lol
Kataefi: (12:04:52 AM)but rugrats could work lol
VanDerLaZant: (12:05:03 AM)oh wow thats scary
VanDerLaZant: (12:05:07 AM)whats that doll from?
Kataefi: (12:05:15 AM)oo it's spelt chucky
Kataefi: (12:05:16 AM)my bad
Kataefi: (12:05:28 AM)it's from... the film mysteriously called:
Kataefi: (12:05:29 AM)chucky
VanDerLaZant: (12:05:32 AM)lol ok
Kataefi: (12:05:40 AM)actually
Kataefi: (12:05:41 AM)vanz
Kataefi: (12:05:55 AM)let's be called chuckie!
Kataefi: (12:05:58 AM)from rugrats
VanDerLaZant: (12:06:13 AM)ok
Kataefi: (12:07:14 AM)or we could be a hybrid of chuckies!
Kataefi: (12:07:55 AM)actually that'll get complex
Kataefi: (12:08:04 AM)let's stick with little chuckie
VanDerLaZant: (12:08:29 AM)hmm
VanDerLaZant: (12:11:24 AM)oh wow
VanDerLaZant: (12:11:32 AM)http://www.smashboards.com/memberlist.php?&pp=30&order=asc&sort=username&ltr=C&page=119
VanDerLaZant: (12:11:41 AM)i don't think Chuckie is taken lol
Kataefi: (12:12:01 AM)omg!
Kataefi: (12:12:04 AM)this is our chance!
VanDerLaZant: (12:12:05 AM)theres chuckfin
VanDerLaZant: (12:12:08 AM)chuckchuck
VanDerLaZant: (12:12:11 AM)chuckles
Kataefi: (12:12:19 AM)why didn't anyone think to just take chuckie lol?
VanDerLaZant: (12:12:22 AM)but no chuckie lol
VanDerLaZant: (12:12:30 AM)one person even has the avatar lol
VanDerLaZant: (12:13:22 AM)well should I go ahead and make it?
VanDerLaZant: (12:13:32 AM)or do you want to think a nit more
VanDerLaZant: (12:13:36 AM)bit*
Kataefi: (12:13:52 AM)I might end up overthinking it
VanDerLaZant: (12:13:57 AM)lol
Kataefi: (12:13:58 AM)and then get the idea lynched!
Kataefi: (12:14:01 AM)by accident
Kataefi: (12:14:19 AM)and then malfunction
[/collapse]

Favorite and least favorite mafia performance and why?

My favourite performance was probably Villains Mafia, mostly because I got to chill with Zen and Meta-Kirby as Town, but also because we lynched scum on day 2 then I personally shot scum on n2. We then lynched the last Mafiosi (Swiss who replaced in) and that was a good feeling. Then even though I was nightkilled by the indy, my flip confirmed him as scum because the watcher had been watching me since N1.

Least favourite… I'm not really sure. I always feel like I've tried my best and even if I didn't win I usually contributed to my win con pretty well. If I had to pick though, as Town the Newbie Game I was an IC in and played with Ran/Glyph/Acrostic, and DGames/Avril Mafia as scum. The first because of shenanigans that I swore to never speak of. Dgames mafia, because although I won as scum against a ridiculously stacked town (Tom/EE Hydra, Overswarm, Omni, Marshy, Zen among others I can't remember), the victory felt pretty hollow. At first I was pretty proud to have pulled off a win against so many smart players, but in post game there was mad salt and it felt a bit empty because there was a lot of inactivity on both sides, and the set up was a bit scum favoured.

Who's your arch nemesis?

Victory will be mine.

Swiss, amazing player or extremely overrated?

Nah Swiss is pretty good at mafia. Definitely way better as scum then me. He's good as Town too, and from the very limited experience I have with Town Swiss my reads usually match up with his, which is always a good sign. He just needs to be more active sometimes :p

Halo mafia, how didn't you guys win?

Because despite leading Town to a scum lynch on Day 2, no one picked up our ridiculously blatant watcher crumb that incriminated Regal Cheese. That, and Gotenk's amazing ability to not pick a successful mason target TWO Nights in a row, which would of confirmed our result. OH WELL.

What does your average day consist of in Australia (serious question, I don't know and I'm actually really curious about this)?

Probably very similar to suburban life anywhere else in the world. Maybe back in the 60s, the majority of Australia was small rural towns, but these days everything is very urbanised/westernised.

Something interesting compared to the US, in Australia almost 99% of university/college students live off campus. Most universities only have small housing facilities, so it's only used by students who are travelling from country towns into the city.

Which players have the "funnest" playstyles in your opinion.

I like playing with Swiss/Zen because they both make me laugh and do funny stuff, that by some far cry of the imagination is relevant to mafia. Kat is pretty funny too and I enjoy hydraing with him.

If you could fly 5 Dgamers to the Land Down Under for free and meet up with them, who would they be and why?

I'd definitely like to meet Swiss/Kat. From talking to them both they seem pretty cool. The sort of guys you could have a beer with and just laugh about random stuff.

Zen as well would be pretty cool to meet. Just from playing a heap of games with him and talking on aim/skype, he seems pretty cool. I'm sure he'd be fun to chill with too. We could play video games and eat Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream that he brought over in his luggage with him.

I'd like to meet J and Ranmaru because they both seem so happy and care free on the boards that I'd love to see what they're like in the real world. I still picture J as a girl most of the time so it'd be nice to have a clearer impression of him. Ran too because he just seems like he'd be quite an interesting character ; P

Honourable mentions to Xonar because I think we could talk about random dutch stuff which would be cool, Omni because I loved watching his Mega Man lets play and he seemed like such a funny guy, and Overswarm because he seems to know everything about everything and I think I'd learn some stuff.

If you could meet anyone in the world (Dgamer or not) who would it be and why?

Probably one of the people I mentioned above or Miranda Kerr because she's smoking. I never really found much inspiration in famous sportspeople/celebrities/politicians/academics while growing up. Like, I respect them but there's no one I can think of who has had an impact on my life that I already have met.

How did you find Smash Boards? Do you play smash competitively?

My first gaming console (excluding Gameboys and a Mega Drive I borrowed from my uncle) was the Gamecube, and my favourite game was definitely Melee. Growing up a lot of my friends had N64's and I always loved playing the original Smash Bros, so Melee was one of the first games I bought for my cube. I mostly played it by myself and with one other friend who also had it (who played Captain Falcon). Nintendo definitely wasn't as popular in Australia as it was (or at least how I perceived it to be) in the US. Going through high school, I could count the number of people who had a Gamecube on two hands, while it seemed just about everyone had an Xbox and Halo and/or a PS2.

Anyway, I played Mewtwo most of the time against my Falcon friend, and we never took it that seriously; most of the time we would just beat up on the AI in teams matches. However towards the end of high school when Brawl was a couple of months away from release, we found out that two of our good friends from school also played Melee. They played Marth and Falco and kind of rocked us, due to a combination of their characters being better and my friend and I sucking in general. But since Brawl was coming out, it was like a clean slate and everyone would be on level playing fields. It was around this time I watched a melee set on youtube; Ken vs Isai at MOAST 3 iirc. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, which eventually led me to discover smashboards and fun times ahead.

I loved all the Smash Dojo hype as well as seeing all the "leaked" rosters and stuff. And yeah I played Brawl with my school mates all the time, and was pretty good for a casual player with Toon Link. I actually used to lurk (and occasionally post) on the TL boards. I was a Santi fanboy and actually followed a lot of the Brawl scene on smash boards.

After Brawl became more campy at the highest levels, I kind of got bored watching it (it's not exactly the best spectator game :p) and just started following Melee. I still enjoy watching Melee videos these days, and have probably watched every big tournament set since Mango won at Pound 3 back in 08. Melee is such an interesting game to watch, and it amazes me how it still is developing after so many years. I don't really play smash anymore (apart from occasional Ganondorf free for alls) but I I'll be first in line for the next game, and if it has a decent online system I'll probably give it a shot :p.

Why do people often confuse Austria for Australia but never the other way round?

That's a very good question, but one that I have no answer for :p. If you mumble, I think it's possible for "Austria" to sound like "Australia" but not the other way around. But I've definitely entered my Country as Austria by accident when filling out online forms.

How did it feel to get outed by Ranmaru's penis?

It felt like I'd been slapped in the face by a freaking hammer, so my memory of it is pretty fuzzy.

... *Clears throat* ... Uh, did you get that pic I sent ya? BE HONEST

The truth is… Rockin heard about the pic on one of the gay sites he frequents and hijacked it while it was still in cyberspace. So you'll have to ask him :cool:

If you could have any superpower what would you have?

After seeing the Avengers last week, I've decided that I pretty much want to be Tony Stark. He has the coolest life ever.

-Top 5 music artists?

My parents brought me up listening to Bob Marley, so I know just about every lyric to every song he ever wrote. If I had to pick one artist to listen to for the rest of my life it'd probably be him. His music is just so easy to listen to and I can play it while I'm doing other stuff or just chilling.

Dave Matthews Band are probably one of my favourite acts ever, and I hope I get to see them one day. They're probably the Band I've listened to the most. My uncle is a massive fan who would play them in his car all the time while I was growing up. It's hard to explain what I like so much about them. They have such a wide variety of songs, and it's once you move away from the "radio friendly" songs that you start to fully appreciate how good they are. I've actually done a list of my top 70 dmb tracks, but realistically I can't pick a favourite song from them (it changes depending on what mood I'm in).

Apart from going through a big Eminem phase when I was younger, I've never listed to that much hip hop, but Lupe Fiasco obviously rates as one of my favourite artists. I discovered Lupe about the time when I was 13 and I used to play Runescape. One of my rs friends was called Lupe_Fiasco, and we played online together a fair bit. Then one day some random commented about how good Lupe was, and I had no idea it was actually a rapper's name :p. So I looked him up on lime wire and found Kick Push, which was one of my most played tracks as a kid. He's actually been to Australia twice in the last 5 years or so, and I would of gone to see him but he played at a big RnB festival, for which tickets cost about $150. And I'd have to spend an entire day being the only white guy not wearing an NBA jersey or flat brimmed hat, just to see Lupe. That and only a couple of my friends like Lupe, so yeah it just never seemed worth it to me.

Apart from these guys, I'd give a 3 way tie between Radiohead/RHCP/Foo Fighters for all time goodness. However, I like listening to a lot of new music from different styles and genres. I'll list some artists/songs that I like atm:

Hip hop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8DVWqypSPk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMSvSGCXHJA
Not hip-hop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3k_QDnzHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpFG7DdjTbo&feature=related

Favorite mafia games: Old, Not so Recent, and Recent

Pikmafia/Mayfia were two really cool set ups from way back in the day. Makes me wish Meta-Kirby/Xiivi were still hosting/making set ups these days.

Not so recently, Villains Mafia was awesome and I'll always have a soft spot for it. Yak + Janitor + Rolecop is a cool scum team, Kefka is the coolest indy and my Town absorbing role was so cool too.

I haven't seen too many recent games due to being pretty inactive for a while… but definitely Halloween Party Mafia if I can pick that. The flavour was amazing and though I have no idea what the set up was, I'm sure it was ballin'. Massive props to Nabe on that game!

-Favorite open set up?

I can't pick one so I'll just talk about my favourites:

Vengeful is my favourite classic small set up. There's legit information/scum tells to be found almost immediately which can't be said about too many open set ups of its size

TWEWY set up obviously because I made it :p. I'd love to host it or see it play out again, but I think it's very balanced for all factions. Mafia were the weakest and they won which I didn't expect.

I love Jungle Republic because it's a similar concept to TWEWY.

I also love BIM and all its variants, except the fact that I played in two different iterations and I couldn't day kill. So lame :(.

-What do you feel has been your best and worst mafia games?

Best town was definitely Villains. I've never felt that my scum victories have ever been that good, just better then whoever else I was playing and good enough to win. I'd also like to change my previous answer for Worst performance. My play in my 2nd game "Mayfia" as a Mafia Traitor/Town Saulus Cop was pretty bad, even though I was pretty new. I thought I was Mafia trying to find my scum buddies, but I ended up being Town and by the time I found scum Town had already been endgamed. A little bit *******ish but it was a very cool idea in theory. But yeah I played good as scum because I blended in and didn't get lynched, but bad as town because I didn't catch scum until N3 with my ability, and we were endgamed on D4.

-Favorite role in any game you have seen?

I've been lucky with rolling cool roles throughout my mafia history. 1st is definitely my Villains role. If I hammered a player I essentially "absorbed" whatever power they had. So N1 I had a vig shot and N2 I got a role cop. Pretty cool! Other than that, I loved the Mafia Tactitian in BIM:Redux. We rewired a bomb and blocked a Cop! Mafia Traitor/Town Saulus Cop in Mayfia, while being borderline *******ish was pretty cool for me at the time.

-What do you consider your play style?

Hard to say. It varies depending on my activity levels. I'm generally pretty quiet early on, but I'll take charge if I think I can steer Town in a better direction. I'm definitely not a Cello/Omni in that I don't try that hard to get Town moving, but I normally bring good activity to every game I'm in. I generally appear pretty obvtown to most people, so I don't find it hard to get people to trust and listen to my reads, so I try and play to that strength. Scum often don't see me a threat early on, because I'm not always the loudest person on D1, so I take advantage of that a lot and can usually lead good lynches during mid game.

While I can see the merits of gambits and stuff like that, I'll probably never use them because it just doesn't suit my style of play. I don't in anyway think gambits are bad though. They can be used poorly or interpreted the wrong way, but so can anything else.

Favourite Pokemon

A tie between Espeon and Arcanine. I loved how Gary swagged all over Ash with his arcanine, but Espeon and I were the dynamic duo in Pokemon Colloseum.

Favourite Pokemon game?

RBY was my favourite gen as I've mentioned earlier. In terms of gen superiority I'd order it like this:

RBY > GSC > BW > RSE = DP

I loved all of them though. DP was my favourite competitively (I never played BW though) but I loved the RSE battle tower and frontier, and probably spent way more time playing that series in game.

Favourite Pokemon type?

Water. So many cool pokemon like Squirtle, Poliwrath, Gyrados, Wooper, Swampert. For the starters, it's always between Squirtle/Charmander. Only hipsters/nerds/girls pick the grass types.

Do you miss me? Do you love me?

With all my heart Omni <3. Play some more games or do another old school Lets Play! Megaman and Yoshi's Island were awesome!

This:

Is an accurate representation of Australia, right?

Lmao. I live somewhere between the Maneating Koalas and Mosquitoes. Themoreyouknow.

- Your Shining Force II Mafia game influenced me to play that game. Needless to say I was impressed. Could you tell me what other games you would suggest?

Ah yes SFII is an awesome game. Easily one of my top 3 games growing up and probably still top 10. If you enjoyed it I'd suggest trying the original Shining Force, which is very similar except not quite as polished. My other favourite RPG from the Genesis/Mega Drive era is Phantasy Star IV. So if you're looking for something similar you can't go wrong with either of them.

- What is your favorite hobby, besides mafia?

Hmm, hard to say. With my current life situation I don't have that much time for hobbies. In my spare time I usually just play video games or try to do something with friends (i.e. go see a movie, drink a bit then go hit on girls who I feel are beneath me but for there part won't give me the time of day).

- What's the weather like in Australia? Name some of the stereotypes of Australia that are true and some that are just rumor.

The weather where I live (Queensland) is pretty great all year round. Our summers are very humid and hot (with humidity regularly getting to 100%, which is a real killer). Our winters are pretty mild compared to the rest of the World, but I'm not a fan of the cold anyway so it works out.

Stereotypes... uh, not sure what other countries perceive us to be like so kinda hard to say. We have stereotype called the "Bogan" which I guess might be pretty similar to the american "Redneck." These two videos show what I mean a bit better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjkQSREjxH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8gJoT5yl4

However, every rumour about man-eating koalas and kangaroos are 100% true.

- What is something you've been wanting to do but you can't just get around to it yet? Mafia related or not.

In real life, I guess I want to travel a bit and see the world but just can't afford to atm. In Mafia, I have a heap of cool ideas running around in my head for set ups but am still trying to find a way to best implement them.

- Who's the guy in your current avatar?

N from Pokemon Black/White.

Listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSfSjkW5E6U
And read my alternative lyrics. No I'm serious actually do this it's funny! And Little Red are a pretty cool Australian band too.

Alive, all of the colours in the night
Laying down on his side
And the restless in Rockin's eyes
to reach before the morning rise

Out of the closet again
Rockin turns around to see his gay friend
Some get forward, some get low
But Rockin knows which way to go

Rockin to the break of day
Everyone knows Rockin's gay
If everybody feels the same
This is why he plays these games
Rockin till the early dawn
Soon those good times will be gone
Everything Rockin ever had, if he could have
One night like that

Copyright vanderzant 2012 :p

Who are the saltiest players in DGames, in your opinion?

I wouldn't know :p. Nabe is still mad salty about FF6 though :p.

Why the hell are Australian maps upside down? Makes it hard as **** to read it.

No idea.

Do you have any general advice for new players?

Play one game at a time. Invest more time into the game you're playing. As town, make your thought process as clear as day. Even though scum might be able to take advantage of this, it'll help you in the long run because you'll be able to look back and see where you were right and wrong. After the games over, ask the mod for advice on where you can improve. I'm sure all mods would do this and the advice is usually better because it's unbiased compared to the opinions of other players.

What is the one thing a town member should do when in a Mafia Game? How about a scumbag?

In general: Try to have fun; mafia is a game and you shouldn't be playing if you don't enjoy it.

Town: Listen to others and be open minded about your reads.

Mafia: Convince others you are town, and if you can't get everyone to like you, focus on individual players. Having even just one Town aligned player fooled can greatly help you avoid the first few lynches.

have you had any experiences in mafia games that left a serious impact on how you viewed the game or how you played, that taught you lessons and improved your play as a result? if so what were they?

Honestly, the biggest learning experience I had was in my very first game where Swiss was my strongest Town read and he turned out to be the Mafia Godfather. It taught me to not just take things at face value, and most things that Townies can do, scum do as well. I don't remember specifics (I should totally go reread that game for a laugh) but I stepped my Town game up significantly after that.

Anyway thanks for picking me guys and god damn I wrote a lot. Apologies for any bad grammar, but I hope that everyone who actually read this enjoyed it :p

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
Ha nice I had like five good laughs reading this. The chorus to that Rockin song went perfect. I had no idea you were dutch and I could have sworn you've visited America before. Gonna have to fix that.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer

Listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSfSjkW5E6U
And read my alternative lyrics. No I'm serious actually do this it's funny! And Little Red are a pretty cool Australian band too.

Alive, all of the colours in the night
Laying down on his side
And the restless in Rockin's eyes
to reach before the morning rise

Out of the closet again
Rockin turns around to see his gay friend
Some get forward, some get low
But Rockin knows which way to go

Rockin to the break of day
Everyone knows Rockin's gay
If everybody feels the same
This is why he plays these games
Rockin till the early dawn
Soon those good times will be gone
Everything Rockin ever had, if he could have
One night like that

Copyright vanderzant 2012 :p
this killed me

X1-12

Smash Champion
vote: Swiss

Somehow didn't get a mention as arch nemesis despite all the horrible things I've managed to do to Vandy

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
When have I ever hated on you before though? I was taking the piss out of others who think you're bad. I thought we were bros :(
Brah, brah, why you not letting me bust your balls, I thought we were bros?

Seriously, if you actually think I'm joking this is just good natured prodding, no insult taken.

Top Bottom