• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong: Character Playing Guide!

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
are all the combos REALLY combos? as in... they CANT get out of them.
you are able to get out of them so i gues techniqually its not a "real combo" but most of the combos on there have little lag, so unless you are a quick shielder, your going to get hit by them.

saberhof

Smash Master
Fair con combo from a Dash attack =O you have to turn around really fast tho...

anyway, good job on the guide, maybe some info on advanced techniques (like glide tossing in both ways and the rising Up b move) for some newbies.

- ways to edge guard efficiently
- maybe some team tips =P...i could pm some tips i have if you like them you can post em, but just an idea.

Sao

Smash Cadet
i'd like to add another character to the I have no idea wtf to do against list. This weekend i played against a peach player named bone, at the ucla 200 singles man tourney. From what I hear he is the best peach in cali, I would say my diddy game was top notch this weekend. We had close games but i had to be patient and fight so hard just to get this peach on the ground which i would say was about 25% of the match. only time he would get on the ground would be to pull a turnip to try and gimp my rocket barrel recover. I'm really starting to think that diddy kong just has an insanely hard time with characters that can play a stellar air game, eg: meta knight, peach.

ps. counterpick green greens, ddd chain grabbed into a wall makes me sad =(

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
I guess you should just pressure her to the ground. Lay some bannanas down and popgun in the air to force her down. When she trips, go for the kill. I really don't know that much. I never play Peach w/ Diddy.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
yeah the pop gun cancels alot of air uses. that sounds like a great idea. to pop gun then use bananas as traps. the only other thing i can say to do is u-air and b-air to fight her on her own turf lol, then again i can get pretty reckless... with f-air, do you think it will get through most of her attacks?

Ive been having a problem with snake alot lately. When he is over the edge forward b and spikes make it an easy kill. but when he is on land, the sliding mortar grabs my bananas. im starting to find ways around it like side steping and smash his back when he slides past. or try to keep him air born. but its hard to combo when he has a grenade and you hit it.

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
yeah the pop gun cancels alot of air uses. that sounds like a great idea. to pop gun then use bananas as traps. the only other thing i can say to do is u-air and b-air to fight her on her own turf lol, then again i can get pretty reckless... with f-air, do you think it will get through most of her attacks?

Ive been having a problem with snake alot lately. When he is over the edge forward b and spikes make it an easy kill. but when he is on land, the sliding mortar grabs my bananas. im starting to find ways around it like side steping and smash his back when he slides past. or try to keep him air born. but its hard to combo when he has a grenade and you hit it.
What i try to do is just spam banana use, and force the fight into an arial one. from there you should win it hands down.

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
Fair con combo from a Dash attack =O you have to turn around really fast tho...

anyway, good job on the guide, maybe some info on advanced techniques (like glide tossing in both ways and the rising Up b move) for some newbies.

- ways to edge guard efficiently
- maybe some team tips =P...i could pm some tips i have if you like them you can post em, but just an idea.
Yeah i would like the Team tips. i think ive played on teams about a total of seven times since ive had brawl (got it on the first day) so yeah not very experienced with teams on brawl :D. The tips would be appreciated.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
i team with olimar, my friend who plays is prob one of the best olimars ive seen. diddys great recovery helps out with people that dont have one. olimars terrible at coming back, so when ever he knows he is short on pikmin and cant come back he will let me know and ill run out there and u air or neutral air him so he can recover. also with diddys spike can just about create a chain through if you use it after your teamates chain throw lol. but you have to team with some one that knows how to use bananas. there maybe alot more with teams and diddy that i dont know yet. if yal find anything out let me know

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
i team with olimar, my friend who plays is prob one of the best olimars ive seen. diddys great recovery helps out with people that dont have one. olimars terrible at coming back, so when ever he knows he is short on pikmin and cant come back he will let me know and ill run out there and u air or neutral air him so he can recover. also with diddys spike can just about create a chain through if you use it after your teamates chain throw lol. but you have to team with some one that knows how to use bananas. there maybe alot more with teams and diddy that i dont know yet. if yal find anything out let me know
same here, not to familiar with team battle using Diddy. so yeah any info on it would be appreciated, and a great addition to the guide.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
To add to his biography he is also appearing in all Mario sports games Golf/Soccer/Baseball/Tennis.

Pretty good guide.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Yeah this guide is awesome

Just wondering though... Why don't you get a .bin to .jpg converter for the pictures?

Totocho

Smash Rookie
My friend got SSBB and ive gone through just about every character possible trying to find one that i liked. I played Diddy and saw one of the combo vids here and i knew id love him.

Played all night last night practicing getting the bananas right and how to use them, different moves and smashes and combos to use when they trip or roll out.

Probably the most fun character ive played and i look forward to playing him more. Now if only i can find somewhere to play and get better besides my friends house.

Im a total noob to this game and scene even though i enjoyed the SSB for 64 cant figure out the more advanced techniques and all the fancy stuff yet.

Strolling through here i stumbled across one thread on the names for advanced techniques and how to perform them, like wave dashing and those kinds of things, but i cant seem to find it now. If anyone can link it id appreciate it a bunch. Thanks

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
My friend got SSBB and ive gone through just about every character possible trying to find one that i liked. I played Diddy and saw one of the combo vids here and i knew id love him.

Played all night last night practicing getting the bananas right and how to use them, different moves and smashes and combos to use when they trip or roll out.

Probably the most fun character ive played and i look forward to playing him more. Now if only i can find somewhere to play and get better besides my friends house.

Im a total noob to this game and scene even though i enjoyed the SSB for 64 cant figure out the more advanced techniques and all the fancy stuff yet.

Strolling through here i stumbled across one thread on the names for advanced techniques and how to perform them, like wave dashing and those kinds of things, but i cant seem to find it now. If anyone can link it id appreciate it a bunch. Thanks
Glad to have you join the Diddy mains :)
hopefully this guide can be of much assistance to you.

Scala

Smash Ace
Nice guide. I'd really love to see some percentages like the damage each attack gives out as it becomes stale.

Lots of useful information here though, well done.

I think you saw a melee technique thread, wavedashing doesn't really exist in brawl.

My advice for you is to learn how to DI properly and how to half-jump.
The rest of your skill will come from simply learning the intricacies of the game and how to deal with certain opponents. Find some people who are good and play them and you'll figure it all out.

As for terminology just make sure you know what the shorthand for the moves is:
FS, DS, US, Utilt, Ftilt, Dtilt, Fair, Bair, Uair, Nair, Zair, SH, RAR.
I think that's the majority of what you'll be seeing around here. Most of them are pretty self-explanitory but if you're curious just PM me and I'll help you out.

Anyways, good choice going with the Diddy. :bee:

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I don't play Diddy much, but this is a very good guide.

The only guide I have read (I haven't read too many however) that has pictures very his moves. Very good.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just read it, great guide. I like how you used "appears" in all his move descriptions. :)

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
nice guide. it made me look at diddy a different way. a better more effective way.
Thanks.
Look out for the new updates coming tomorrow.

For anyone who's been looking for damage percentages, look through the move set descriptions. It gives the Damage percentages, and kill percentages.

FlyingMudPuppy

Smash Rookie
If you want to save those smashes, what moves do you guys recommend for racking up damage?

Or what moves do you guys find getting you the most

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
Diddy is one of the best combo'ers in SSBB, rackin up damage isnt to hard. you want to save your down smash. you also want to save your foward smash, but you can use it to rack up damage, as long as your down smash is kept fresh. i would also suggest playing a heavy peanut and banana game. if not that spam your dash attack into the combos that i have listed in the combo section of my guide.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
yeah i was gonna say, save f smash d smash and f tilts and f air, use cartwheel up smash and b air and u air to help boost the finishers.

BsdKid4ever

Smash Cadet
great guide, but i would like to see more of his strategies, not just a layout of all his moves.
yes, I am kinda a critic =)

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
we need a new guide
this stuff is a little outdated now....

It hardly says anything about bananas! D:
I'm still adding researching a bit more on diddy, and collecting more information. Nana games are more of a personal thing. Each diddy plays that game dfferently, so it's not easy to explainmy "strategies" or "tactics" on how to play that banana game, for everyone's will always be different from someone elses.

blazeboi72

Smash Rookie
o wow u worked hard on this and this definetly helped because i am just recently maining him and ur tips come in handy

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
o wow u worked hard on this and this definetly helped because i am just recently maining him and ur tips come in handy
im adding more today hopefully.
i cant get a camera, and my phone got taken away, so ill have to add the grabbing, and final smashes to the move set a little later.

i know you guys all want more info on bananas and such, so ill be sure to get that also.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Is donkey Kong really a good match up for him? I mean DK's Glide Toss is amazing if he gets control of the bananas and I can hardly gimp DK's recovery. He has SA frames on his up B and his Donkey Punch., making it really hard to KO him. He also has really good range. I know its not a bad match up, but I dont think it is a good match up either.

Adam_

Smash Apprentice
Diddy is an amazing non broken character.

I main him all the time and he's the best character imo.

Btw, don't forget diddy kong racing for the biography

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
Diddy is an amazing non broken character.

I main him all the time and he's the best character imo.

Btw, don't forget diddy kong racing for the biography
lol. Thats one of my favorite games for him, how'd i forget. Thanks i'll add it.

jbuck594

Smash Rookie
Impressed

Very impressive. I'm also a Diddy Kong user and this helped me a lot. I would like to add something though, Diddy Kong is also good in many stages, but I recommend sort of maze areas with tight in space that way, Diddy Kong can jump up and down areas and be able to aim the peanut gun better.

Top Bottom