• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong: Character Playing Guide!

IDK

Smash Lord
by combo 17... the forward b one... did you mean kung fu kick, or diddy hump?

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
Can someone try to explain and list the Diddy techs that are the most useful? I play pretty casually, although competitive, but never dabbled into tournaments. I want to try to incorporate the more mathematical and statistical side of Diddy, and I really don't use any difficult techs in my strategy.

Demmi

Smash Rookie
looks really good thanks for the guide.
i'll be studying it more when i focus on my diddy playing.
i love him as a character, very fun to play

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I feel like the Nair has some uses to it. It has good priority and can hit players from all directions but use it when your falling down.

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
I feel like the Nair has some uses to it. It has good priority and can hit players from all directions but use it when your falling down.
I agree. I use it for combo purposes only, or after a short hop. It can make a good wall of defense if used continuously with short hopping, and good timing.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
This is a great thread. Thanks Fatalities. This is good stuff.

I agree. I use it for combo purposes only, or after a short hop. It can make a good wall of defense if used continuously with short hopping, and good timing.
I only use n-air for combos too (who would use it for a killing move?). I like its range and how while doing the 'cartwheel' in the air he hits multiple times. The lag before and after is pretty minimal too which is nice. Is there any landing lag?

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Do Diddy's make us of the RAR-cancel? RAR'ing but canceling the jump with a throw. Its pretty cool cause you can dash forward and Continue dribbling in the same direction. Just wondering.

Also, never wall cling on Frigate Orphine, because if the stage flips, you will be star KO'd.

leelue

Smash Lord
Only thing i have to say is that some of the strategies won't work at higher levels of play. Like the line where u tell us to leave a banana on the edge and near the edge to make sure they slip. Any old schmo can drop down+double jump and either airdodge and grab it, or attack and grab it. Its pretty easy to do.

I found it much safer to leave them away from this range, because a diddy king with a stolen banana is a sad monkey indeed.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide. I'll try to play more as Diddy, but right now, i'm focusing on other characters.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
You have your second jump, your side-b and your up-b. These three can let you recover from just about anywhere. And always remember, you can attempt a spike off-stage, but hold toward the stage and land on it. You might be fastfalling your dairs if you're having trouble recovering.

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice
oh my goodness thank you so much! i just started using Diddy Kong and I'm relatively good with him so I want to main him, but I have this little thing where I HAVE to know about the character's history to be able to play with them, just a little OCD of mine, and this had that and more! Thank you so much!

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
You have your second jump, your side-b and your up-b. These three can let you recover from just about anywhere. And always remember, you can attempt a spike off-stage, but hold toward the stage and land on it. You might be fastfalling your dairs if you're having trouble recovering.
oh, I use wii-mote and nunchuck (lol), so I think I press down and a to down smash, and I might hold onto the down and fastfall without knowing it...

k, other recovery question is for pokemon stadium, where the hell is the edge? I always up-b into like a weird enclave in the wall..

_eXp_

Smash Rookie
i really like this guide i see you put lots of effort in it. it help me with my combos and my moves thx i hope u expand it though but its good thx

Psycho K

Smash Rookie
Nice guide. I find the dash attack --> up tilt --> fair most useful when it comes to combos. Of course, that only works for me at certain percentages, since up tilt has considerable knockback. Up tilt is so good; I barely use up smash.

I S1NC0 I

Smash Rookie
Nice guide. I find the dash attack --> up tilt --> fair most useful when it comes to combos. Of course, that only works for me at certain percentages, since up tilt has considerable knockback. Up tilt is so good; I barely use up smash.
I agree. The uptilit very useful in combos with diddy.
And nice guide.

I S1NC0 I

Smash Rookie
And I liked the part of the guide about diddy's arial attacks and how diddy can overcome long range spammers. I've always struggled with spammers. Thnx!

Fatalities

Smash Cadet
Ok, im finally back and with some more information that i've gathered from playing and researching. Will update the guide in about one or two hours, when i get back from my cousin's house.

IDK

Smash Lord
woah seriously this has been at the bottom of the stickies for a while. i had learned to ignore it after a while. no new posts... ever...
HI FATALITIES!

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
I have a horrible problem with my diddy - I always roll WAY too much, and I don't know how to stop. It just seemed normal for me to always roll to get around, but it ends up screwing me over. does anyone else have this problem?

IDK

Smash Lord
lots of new people have this problem, but it doesnt need to be posted in here. probably should go in the Q&A sticky. you can learn to move around by dribbling, glide tossing, jumping out of shield, foxtrotting, walking, dash dancing, dashing, jumping... there's a lot you can do. if you dont know what any of those are, read stickies. especially in forums like general brawl discussion, tactical brawl discussion, diddy boards, your other mains' boards... it takes a while to get it, but you will fix your problems, and get better. just keep working at it. welcome to the diddy boards.

on another note, did fatalities die again?

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
i've been playing diddy the entire game and i know most of that stuff, i just don't apply all the technical stuff. it's just, when i'm pressured by a good player, i just keep rolling around and lose my diddy-banana momentum

DUB

Smash Lord
Diddy's pretty good at stopping an opponents momentum. Like IDK you want to avoid rolling (especially towards your opponent) as much as possible. Master the AT's. Implement them. Something I can give you that should help you regaining control. If your being pressured pretty hard and you have a banana in your hand, never forget you can Glide Toss right out of your shield.

strife928

Smash Rookie
i say you should add some pictures showing the techniques that you are showing us

Top Bottom