• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Is there -any- way to cancel his terrible jab multihits other than being hit out of them? I swear I've seen it happen to me like 10 or so times but I can never figure out what causes it.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I don't think so? I don't think there's any part of his jab you can cancel out of. You might've clashed with another move?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Definitely more so than most of the cast. Comes with playing one of the better characters. He's not as easy as his brawl self, or especially his PM self though.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Definitely more so than most of the cast. Comes with playing one of the better characters. He's not as easy as his brawl self, or especially his PM self though.
I think he's easier to play than Brawl for sure. He's more "entry level" now. 1 banana and an amazing d-grab combo certainly helps with this. Add all his momentum stuff, insta-tossing, and glide tossing and you've got a reasonably good Diddy. I could never get the hang of P:M diddy. I SD too much.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Oh, he's definitely a lot easier to just pick up and play. With all his improved normal moves. Losing glide tossing is why I say he's harder in this game. JCT doesn't quite replace it. With nerfed bananas and no glide toss, it's difficult to set up kills after an opponent knows how to DI d-tilt and d-throw.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
I've been lurking the boards but I'm gonna come out of my shell and introduce myself. The Skype chat seems dope so here's my user: OMGitzWill

Burnsy

Smash Lord
That sucks about his jab. Really the only complaint I have with his moveset, I think he has the worst jab in the game. I guess I should just avoid jabbing and just use dtilt or OoS nair/uair/up-b for a quick get off me.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
That sucks about his jab. Really the only complaint I have with his moveset, I think he has the worst jab in the game. I guess I should just avoid jabbing and just use dtilt or OoS nair/uair/up-b for a quick get off me.
I disagree, his jab is solid. It's great for when you don't appear to have any options that are fast enough for the situation you're in. DTilt on shield is easier to punish than jab. You can cancel out of the jab "combo" by holding jab. The first three jabs will come out so long as you're holding jab and then the extended combo portion won't. Once you're in the tail whipping animation though, you're basically committed.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Ah see, thats what I wanted to know. Thanks, I'll try that out.

*Edit*

Sweet, ok nevermind his jab is solid, as you said. It's weird holding A to get whats essentially a "gentleman". I'm so used to tapping A 3 times at a set rhythm, but it seems like 3 taps is what triggers the multihits.

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Is Diddy Kong a defensive/camp character like Brawl, or has he been buffed to enable a different playstyle this time? How are the bananas and popgun used, especially in FD maps? Is it anything like Sheik?

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Is Diddy Kong a defensive/camp character like Brawl, or has he been buffed to enable a different playstyle this time? How are the bananas and popgun used, especially in FD maps? Is it anything like Sheik?
I'm not pro by any means, but I play him as more of a mind-games/mix-up character. Side-b and bananas are great for keeping opponents guessing. I usually lose when my opponent has an answer for each of my approaches and I become predictable. Though that could be said about any character, it's especially true for Diddy as he lacks the requisite range and power to push through once your playstyle has been downloaded by your opponent.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Nah Diddy isnt as defensive as he was in Brawl you can still do the banana camp tactic but he has so much more going for him when your aggro. I would put him in tge Passive-aggressive category of fighters.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Hello everyone, I have a few Q's about Diddy's set-ups, that I'm having trouble getting down consistently.
Q.1: Is D-throw to Uair ever guaranteed? I've seen in videos where Diddys get them down consistently but my opponent usually airdodges.
Q.2: How do I wall cling below edges? Specifically stages without walls, like battle field. Just below the lip.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Hello everyone, I have a few Q's about Diddy's set-ups, that I'm having trouble getting down consistently.
Q.1: Is D-throw to Uair ever guaranteed? I've seen in videos where Diddys get them down consistently but my opponent usually airdodges.
Q.2: How do I wall cling below edges? Specifically stages without walls, like battle field. Just below the lip.
1. D-throw to U-air is guaranteed up until maybe 90% on most characters? In fact, you can usually connect two u-airs after a d-throw guaranteed at very low percents. It might be worth your time to go into training mode and practice it on a variety of characters at a variety of percents. If the counter displays 2 hits, you did it. It's also worth learning to connect F-air and B-air out of d-throw. Just keep in mind that the training dummy won't DI.

2. I'm not actually sure how to do that consistently. Always seems to happen when you're holding towards the stage and you're just coming out of lag for a move but I can't replicate it in training mode.

Tripswag

Smash Cadet
What up, guys! Fellow Diddy main here coming out of the woodworks. Hoping to be more active on Smashboards in this new iteration of Smash. :D

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Yeah I mainly knew you from FC before we all moved over there I went by the lame name PowaStar back then.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Why didn't anyone tell me that banana's do more damage if thrown up close? It's a whole +2%!

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
item damage is typically dependent on their speed
I know that, but I wasn't aware his bananas decelerated so quickly after being thrown...And then accelerated again after a bit of gravity. Neat.

Did a bit of testing, came up with results fairly close to this very impressive picture I puked out of mspaint.exe in 5 minutes;

Green areas are a 5% range upon hit.
Red area is 3%.

Last edited:

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, deciding to rep diddy in the new smash as well. hoping to learn a thing or two about smash 4 diddy

Luigi player

Smash Master
So how do the Diddy mains feel now after the patch?

Diddy was a contender for 1st place even before the patch (and in my opinion he already was #1), but now the others around him got more nerfs and so he stays even clearer in front of them. The no vectoring helps him even more KOing with uair, fsmash and even sideB grab attack very early, especially with some rage.

I really dislike all the tierwhores and people who talk **** about how broken Diddy is. He is really good and probably the best now, but if you know the MU more you should be able to beat "pocket Diddys" with all somewhat viable characters.

Though I do have to say he does feel just a little cheap with his dthrow to uair kills sometimes, even if people should be DIing that.

So is the patch inevitable where Diddy Kong will be nerfed? What do you guys think about all of this?

I hope his dthrow just get's a little more knockback growth and/or a little more lag after it so combos won't work for almost all %-ranges. They could even alter the angle a little. I really hope they don't screw it up though. They should also buff his jab1...

Also Diddy does have some difficult matchups even with how good he is right now. He could fall quite a bit if he loses some of his great traits...

Last edited:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Diddy main since Brawl finally checking in. Held out til I got Sm4sh Wii U on release since I despise pre-3DS-release speculation and held a bit of a grudge for a 3DS version existing.

I think I'm feelin' it with Diddy, with the speed of his aerials and few smashes (in comparison to Brawl since I don't 3DS), but I haven't played enough to the flow of his playstyle here.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think the only thing I'd change is the KBG on the D-Throw so it's not a setup at all percents. I mean beyond that he's just that kind of character, the kind that plays aggressively in a sense and fishes for a grab or a kill setup. That's perfectly fine, but that D-Throw lol.

If nothing changes we're gonna see a lot of him, but the more Diddy shows up the more people are going to meticulously focus their counter-play around him. If Nintendo doesn't change anything I can see a lot of Diddies at Apex but by then maybe people will have figured more out against him.

I personally just think the D-Throw is a bit too silly and allows for free kill setups way more than it should, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and agree with Luigi Player despite my Diddy salt.

This character, like any other character, deserves to be good, but he just needs a little bit of toning down to match the cast a bit more. This game is a lot about dynamic reads and fishing for kills, and when you cut out the latter a bit thanks to D-Throw and Uair, it's evident that it's a little swayed.

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
Being a Diddy main in all 3 games is hard. I feel like no matter what Smash he's in, he's always hated, and it's really discouraging and makes me want to play someone else, even though I love him.

WHY DOES DIDDY KONG ALWAYS HAVE TO BE REALLY GOOD IN SMASH

Justin Little

Smash Ace
People hate Diddy? What?

He isn't popular though. If RARE was still with Nintendo, Diddy would have still maintain his popularity from the 64 days and would still be more respected by people. A damn shame too.

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Yea there is a lot of hate for Diddy, already talk for people banning him (which is obviously completely ridiculous and nonsensical)

In Brawl the main tactic for Diddys was to camp with bananas, which really didn't make the game enjoyable for the other player.

PM because there is a lot of salt about his recovery I think.

Smash 4 because his grab into aerial guaranteed combos + extremely heavy hitting upair is a really broken move and has way too much power than it should (which I agree with, but I'm not salty about it since it will probably get nerfed soon enough).

Btw if the diddy skype chat is actually quite active, please add leeeyam :)

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Pretty sure it isn't the popularity of the character that's the problem, it's his play style in Smash that's getting them riled up. Don't think that any of us that liked Diddy since DKC stopped liking him when Rare got bought out. I loved the personality Nintendo gave him in DKCR and in Brawl in comparison to DK64.
:phone:

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
Do you think people would respect my Diddy if I refused to use D-Throw and U-Airs?

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I don't think they should nerf Diddy. They should just buff the other characters. I think he is good, but not as OP as some make him out to be.

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
They're probably going to change his down throw trajectory, decrease the damage of U-airs, make the bair knockback trajectory different, and something else with U airs. So be ready for that.

Top Bottom