• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I don't use any customs
Thats not the point,
My original post said that you can DI the neutral special from Robin to avoid last hit. And somebody asked me if it also worked for the custom. We particularly tested it with the custom because our Robin player does use customs.

This is something that could use some more research but it is doable.
My apologies for any miscommunication :)

Nairo

Banned via Administration
Thats not the point,
My original post said that you can DI the neutral special from Robin to avoid last hit. And somebody asked me if it also worked for the custom. We particularly tested it with the custom because our Robin player does use customs.

This is something that could use some more research but it is doable.
My apologies for any miscommunication :)
Ohh my bad haha! Also I need to see the video of that I believe you still get sent away but you just take less damage than usual by not getting hit by the whole thoron.

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If you have questions, ask here. Someone will answer hopefully. Don't post single question threads in the subforum.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
So how do you guys feel about Diddy Kong placing very high at all of these tournaments? I know he's not as bad as Brawl Meta-Knight, but enough pros are complaining that it's got me a bit concerned. Is he broken? Does he just need a couple small tweaks? I think the modification of vectoring helped him out quite a bit - and I suppose I wouldn't mind a nerf to Uair too much. Maybe give it more starting/ending lag? I'd prefer it to stay a decent kill move, as Diddy doesn't have too many reliable ones.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
People that learn how to use bananas can do much better in the matchup. I've played enough people with Diddy practice to know he's not as bad as they say. His uair isn't a problem if you can DI. His ability to camp with peanuts and banana, his fair/uair spam, his sideB, his jc toss, all of it are troublesome for many matchups, but not unstoppable. There's no one nerf that would make him stop dominating, they should just lower landing lag on more of the cast so they can shield pressure better.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
He's really good, but the character as a whole isn't that broken, just strong. I think if his dthrow -> uair setup is nerfed, he wouldn't look so strong to people all of a sudden. That combined with the fact that people still don't know how to fight him (for some reason) make him look better than he actually is. He's way easier to deal with in this game than in Brawl imo. I honestly think Rosalina is a better character overall, it's just not immediately obvious how to dominate with her like it is with diddy. As a Diddy main, I'd love it if the setup got nerfed. Diddy as he is now is kind of boring to play.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
He's really good, but the character as a whole isn't that broken, just strong. I think if his dthrow -> uair setup is nerfed, he wouldn't look so strong to people all of a sudden. That combined with the fact that people still don't know how to fight him (for some reason) make him look better than he actually is. He's way easier to deal with in this game than in Brawl imo. I honestly think Rosalina is a better character overall, it's just not immediately obvious how to dominate with her like it is with diddy.
Also, two of the opponents I faced yesterday at the tournament knew how to DI out of dthrow -> uair semi-reliably. It's not perfect.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
He's really good, but the character as a whole isn't that broken, just strong. I think if his dthrow -> uair setup is nerfed, he wouldn't look so strong to people all of a sudden. That combined with the fact that people still don't know how to fight him (for some reason) make him look better than he actually is. He's way easier to deal with in this game than in Brawl imo. I honestly think Rosalina is a better character overall, it's just not immediately obvious how to dominate with her like it is with diddy. As a Diddy main, I'd love it if the setup got nerfed. Diddy as he is now is kind of boring to play.
I'd like to see some of his other options get buffed. Maybe give peanuts more priority, or less ending lag. Less lag on his dash attack would be nice as well. I'd gladly trade an UAir nerf for both of those.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Has popgun cancelling been patched? Is there any other tech for diddy at all?
There's Popgun canceling, as others have said. This opens up the door to a few other ATs like Dash B-Reversal Slides, and a Mid-Air B-Reversal for momentum transfers. He also has a Monkey Flip Slide that is pretty handy for a couple reasons; particularly if you crawl backwards during the slide. Neat-o.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys, much like the Shiek boards, it is Diddy week on the Lucina match-up thread. Your input on the match-up would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Thread.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
We don't have the most active Diddy mod (No offense DeLux!) here, I'd be willing to set up some threads with pretty stuff like what I've done in the past if I can get the go ahead/sticky power.

This was my art/work before I handed it over to Zinoto and I enjoy doing things like this so long as there is active contributions.

Last edited:

DeLux

We don't have the most active Diddy mod (No offense DeLux!) here, I'd be willing to set up some threads with pretty stuff like what I've done in the past if I can get the go ahead/sticky power.

This was my art/work before I handed it over to Zinoto and I enjoy doing things like this so long as there is active contributions.
If someone wants to manage the thread, that would be hype. I can do them in a bit, but finals coming up has been rough while working 55 hours a week plus trying to hustle nerds for video game money at tournaments

In some respects, I am THE MOST ACTIVE of all mods. Just not always in posting. I do check this forum about every couple hours though just fyi ;)

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
If someone wants to manage the thread, that would be hype. I can do them in a bit, but finals coming up has been rough while working 55 hours a week plus trying to hustle nerds for video game money at tournaments

In some respects, I am THE MOST ACTIVE of all mods. Just not always in posting. I do check this forum about every couple hours though just fyi ;)
You set up a bot to feign activity, it's okay to admit :p

Good luck on finals! I'll brainstorm some threadstuffs at work today.

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
I think the most important thing for me to learn currently is what I can do out of dtilt. I see Jtails go for uairs which I never even think about, at what % can I still go in and grab and when I can follow with fair.

Also, do you guys connect dthrow with upair whenever possible? or go dthrow to fair/bair when you can to save the power of upair for kills?

Last edited:

DeLux

I think the most important thing for me to learn currently is what I can do out of dtilt. I see Jtails go for uairs which I never even think about, at what % can I still go in and grab and when I can follow with fair.

Also, do you guys connect dthrow with upair whenever possible? or go dthrow to fair/bair when you can to save the power of upair for kills?
I like to go for Bair early since double bair strings into a soft read situation that can lead to regrab or fair. Mid percents I like Fair, since I want to save Uair but the combo potential is gone so I just want to hit them hard as possible. At high percents, obviously Uair for kills.

Don't forget to pummel or two to refresh stale moves as percents ascend.

Unrelated: landing Uair is kinda broke not gonna lie lol

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Diddies what's your hardest matchup and why? (Ditto included)

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
at low % I normally do dtilt > dtilt > grab. mid percent I normally SH fair after the dtilt. and of course as soon as they're at kill percents, go for uair.

also as a side note, dtilt so the hitbox comes out right on the ledge is really good for characters that don't sweet spot the ledge or just have bad recovery. even if you don't get a kill off it every time, its a lot safer than run off bair

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
i really wanna learn this character but im scared to because dont want to waste my time if hes gonna get the nerf bat. hes fun and a very rushdown style character. does this character have any bad mus? how does he do against DuckHunt and Shiek?

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
would you guys mostly say Diddy is a rushdown character? also im new to him so im having issues when call a banana every time i do i get rushed down hard.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
You don't want to waste your time on a character that gets balanced?

There's this game you might like.
depends on what you considered balanced and what they do to the other so called top tiers. why would put time into a character who is going to get nerfed to crap while other top tier characters remain the same? also i personally dont feel diddy needs any changes. i play other fighters and this game has already had to many changes early on. there hasnt even been a bunch of majors to judge results on. we are nerfing stuff because of people complaining about online play which you can properly punish things to begin with. the devs need to relax and let the game breathe for a few months and let a meta game establish instead of something seems powerful now lets nerf it, when in the long run it might not even be that good compared to new tech that gets discovered.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
All true, except for the part about Diddy not needing any chances. But it's all still irrelevant; you play who you want because you are supposed to enjoy it, not because they are the most powerful.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
All true, except for the part about Diddy not needing any chances. But it's all still irrelevant; you play who you want because you are supposed to enjoy it, not because they are the most powerful.
not true for me. i only play high mid-top tier characters. i mostly compete tho. im not going to play a character that has to do twice as much work to get the same job done. regardless my personal feelings on diddy is by design with his mixups speed and pressure he will remain a top 10 character.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Rosaluma.

Luma eats banana (so does gravity field, which also eats peanuts), so we can be zoned. Our broken dthrow uair combo doesn't work because luma can hit us out before we can dthrow if the rosa has good reaction time (if not before the dthrow, then for sure before we can follow up with uair). Pretty much those two things in my experience. Without the ability to reliably land bananas or uair, she's a ***** to kill. She also has a great recovery and strong kill moves. Side b is our best friend in this matchup. It's probably 40:60 in Rosa's favor at worst.

Last edited:

DeLux

To Expand on this, What is Popgun Canceling, What is is useful for and how is it performed?
You can cancel pop gun with shield. If you do it in the air nearly simultaneously with starting it, Diddy returns to a neutral state. Combining a pop gun cancel with a special reversal will in effect cause Diddy to completely switch direction while maintaining all of his aerial neutral options. it makes punishing an aerial opponent significantly harder.

Top Bottom