• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Diddy's Q&A + Competitive Development - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

sucram

Smash Rookie
NNID
MarLoda
Hey all, Diddy scrub here. Quick question about the banana. I've seen in tournament play that when someone Down-B's from the ground, they can run back and pickup the banana, but I don't see an aerial like Nair or Fair come out. Is it just timing or are they pressing a different button?

Wow, found out it's just the grab button... carry on.

Last edited:

Jtails

Smash Lord
How do ADHD and Zero compare to them with Diddy Kong? I know ADHD recently beat JTails at a tournament.
I think ADHD is better at the Ditto right now and he's starting to gain his style back from brawl which was super strong, but I think I have the most match up exp out of us all. Zero is probably the strongest player out of us all in general, so his smarts are going to take him a long way, but I don't think m2k/Zero understand "Diddy" as a Diddy main would like Wyatt, Zinoto, and some others do.

-JD-

Smash Rookie
NNID
jamestron9000
What do you guys think of the Diddy vs Olimar matchup? I feel like with the right playstyle and pressure Diddy should do fine, but the other day i was having a tough time approaching this Olimar that got a stock ahead. His pikmin cancelled out a lot of my banana attempts and pressuring with grab and fair approaches were tough because of the range on Olimar's grab and fsmash. Any veteran Diddy mains out there that can shed some light on this matchup?

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Can Diddy autocancel his fairs or something? When I play Diddy he seems to have a substantial amount of lag after he fairs (like he lies on the ground for a bit) but I'm watching Zero and he seems to do it so much quicker?

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Judging from some videos I watched of ADHD at recent tournaments, it seems like one of his biggest problems right now is self destructing because he's used to doing certain things in Brawl with Diddy's recovery that don't work as well anymore for those purposes. He's always been a pretty risky off-stage Diddy Kong from what I've seen, so that's an area he could definitely improve in. He also used to rarely use down throw up air, but at the most recent video I watched of him playing, he seems to have adapted that into his play style now.

I'm curious how a lot of the top Diddy Kong players will do at APEX. Both you and ADHD will probably go pretty far even if you both have some difficult matchups early on. I wish good luck to both of you, though hopefully half the tournament participants aren't Diddy Kong players. >_> That would get kind of dull, though ADHD would do extremely well if he mostly had to face Diddy Kongs. lol You know, with all the talk of Diddy Kong's dominance potentially hurting interest and viewership with Smash 4 tournaments, it would be pretty funny if someone decided to throw an all Diddy Kong tournament designed to find out who are the best Diddy Kong players out there.

Last edited:

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Can Diddy autocancel his fairs or something? When I play Diddy he seems to have a substantial amount of lag after he fairs (like he lies on the ground for a bit) but I'm watching Zero and he seems to do it so much quicker?
Yes he can. Actually all of Diddy's aerials can autocancel in a Shorthop.

Last edited:

GameWatching

Smash Ace
Shoutouts to Hungrybox

Jump and air-dodge + c-stick to instantly throw it back at them? Full jump really high, preferably to a platform? Roll through their approach?
Don't defend Diddy just because you're maining him

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Shoutouts to Hungrybox

Don't defend Diddy just because you're maining him
Don't assume he's giving tactics just to defend his main. If somebody posts about a possible OP tactic people are naturally going to give counter tactics, whether they agree or not.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
My secondaries are Larry and Meta Knight. Not quite sure if they're good choices for secondaries, but they offer me unique advantages over Diddy Kong (Meta Knight's off stage combat and Larry's fun toys and tricks). Diddy Kong is definitely better than them though.

Player-1

Smash Legend
A little tibit that can help us a bit: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2tm1vs/all_omegas_are_not_created_equal_more_stage/

Diddy would probably want stages with a farther distance from the stage to the blastzone to help the barrel stall longer for more distance. I think the only stage with walls out of that is omega boxing ring if you wanted walls. I was a little disappointed not to see omega windy hill, not only does it have great music with walls, but the grass on the stage can somewhat "hide" bananas.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hear Diddy's recovery is easily gimpable. I'm not exactly feeling the same hate for him as everyone else since I don't fight him much myself, but I don't really understand all his shortcomings and weaknesses (mostly because of that Up Air...).

Though when I play as Diddy myself, I tend to **** up my vertical recovery and die :dizzy:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Which stages help Diddy the most besides Halberd?

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Which stages help Diddy the most besides Halberd?
These stages have a lower (bottom) blast zone (32ft, as opposed to 29ft)
  • Luigi's Mansion Ω
  • Kongo Jungle 64 Ω
  • Temple Ω
  • Port Town Aero Dive Ω
  • Wooly World Ω
  • Yoshi's Island Ω
  • Halberd Ω
  • Palutena's Temple Ω
  • Boxing Ring Ω
  • 75m Ω
  • Wrecking Crew Ω
  • PAC-LAND Ω
  • Final Destination
    This makes it easier for Diddy's rocket recovery, but harder to spike at lower %'s
    Of these:
    • Luigi's Mansion Ω
    • Wooly World Ω
    • Yoshi's Island Ω
    • Boxing Ring Ω
    • Wrecking Crew Ω
Have walls for wall jumping, as Diddy can near infinitely climb.
unless you have high desire for stage spikes, these are your best stages.

(thanks to DLOGD of Reddit for blast depth)

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
These stages have a lower (bottom) blast zone (32ft, as opposed to 29ft)
  • Luigi's Mansion Ω
  • Kongo Jungle 64 Ω
  • Temple Ω
  • Port Town Aero Dive Ω
  • Wooly World Ω
  • Yoshi's Island Ω
  • Halberd Ω
  • Palutena's Temple Ω
  • Boxing Ring Ω
  • 75m Ω
  • Wrecking Crew Ω
  • PAC-LAND Ω
  • Final Destination
    This makes it easier for Diddy's rocket recovery, but harder to spike at lower %'s
    Of these:
    • Luigi's Mansion Ω
    • Wooly World Ω
    • Yoshi's Island Ω
    • Boxing Ring Ω
    • Wrecking Crew Ω
Have walls for wall jumping, as Diddy can near infinitely climb.
unless you have high desire for stage spikes, these are your best stages.

(thanks to DLOGD of Reddit for blast depth)
I think this was de-confirmed. @ Piford Piford did you come to a conclusion?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I think this was de-confirmed. @ Piford Piford did you come to a conclusion?
Yeah the varying numbers were a result of Ganon's Dair on Donkey Kong. Using Luigi's Taunt on Jigglypuff gave consistent results.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Hey guys, I'm having problems to do the smash monkey flip consistently, any tips?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
What inputs cause the Monkey flip to go further and have more momentum? Holding b, holding a direction, or something else?

Also, what inputs cause the banana pull to go on a high or low arc? Iirc it's just how long you hold b, but never got around to testing it.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Yeah the varying numbers were a result of Ganon's Dair on Donkey Kong. Using Luigi's Taunt on Jigglypuff gave consistent results.
Oh really, damn. So is that new one out and somewhere?
Edit: oh i found it, so i guess they are equal.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Which direction does Diddy want to throw at low, medium, and high percent? And what are his best follow ups to them?
You nearly always have D-Throw Uair, but I think around 90% you can Up-throw to Uair and get KOs. B-Throw for damage (if you don't want to combo D-Throw). Idk if it gives more KB then F-Throw.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
New here and i think i found a new tech with Diddy i could cancel and act out of my popgun instantly not sure if this is a thing that's why i didn't wanna make a whole thread about it.
It is known but nice find, it's mostly useful for mindgames. i'm hoping that we can get a good original post on this site showing the AT's and stuff like some of the other character pages. So far I've really liked the style of Sheik's and C. Falcons

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ok, this probably sounds hella dumb, but how do you even popgun cancel? I try to do the same inputs as Brawl (press B instant shield) yet when i do that he always airdodges. Im pressing shield pretty instantly after I press B, am I not doing it quick enough or...?

And like I said I was consistent with it in Brawl, I probably sound like a noob right now but im guessing the timing is way tighter?

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Ok, this probably sounds hella dumb, but how do you even popgun cancel? I try to do the same inputs as Brawl (press B instant shield) yet when i do that he always airdodges. Im pressing shield pretty instantly after I press B, am I not doing it quick enough or...?

And like I said I was consistent with it in Brawl, I probably sound like a noob right now but im guessing the timing is way tighter?
Press B and shield at the same time

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interesting 0-death on DK. I made a vidya of it

Full Hop rising U-air > Buffered Short Hop Footstool > U-air > Buffered Full Hop Footstool > U-air > Buffered Full Hop Footstool > U-air > Double Jump > U-air
> U-air
It all combos, since you can Footstool while your opponent is in hit stun. And we know that Uair > Uair combos, so there's definitely enough hitstun for a Footstool.

If your opponent DI's out of it, end it with a F-air for damage.
Also if they DI the fair badly it could also net a Side kill

I show it can Roofio on FD, but this is not true since training mode has no stale move negation. In a real match the last uair would not have enough knockback to net a kill.

But on a platform it is devastating.

The "Full Hop rising U-air > Buffered Short Hop Footstool" only combos if it is a fresh U-air I believe but i needs to do more testing.

Getting Full Hop Footstool > Uairs is tricky.
If you Buffer an Uair during the footstool it forces the Footstool to be a Short Hop footstool. You must time teh Uairs. It is still pretty easy to pull off though.

Pretty much it only works on DK bowser and Charizard since when you footstool them, you roll off their heads, having Diddy low enough for an U-air to connect.

• It only works on charizard if you are facing the same direction has him.
  • The U-air misses Dk if you Drift forward and Full Hop Footstool your first footstool
  • it always will connect for Bowser.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Simply, holy ****. I wonder if this is something big enough to release a patch for. and what they would change.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Simply, holy ****. I wonder if this is something big enough to release a patch for. and what they would change.
Nah it does about 40% and it doesn't lead into a kill from 0 percent without a platform. Many characters can kill super early off platforms.

Though at higher percents you can sorta get an elevator kill, Full hop footstool > Uair > Uair like I showed with charizard (since you can't chain multiple footstool > Uair on charizard)

But they might remove this weakness on big characters, but not many characters can take huge advantage of it. Diddy's is teh only one that combos. Little mac nair only has enough hitstun at really high percents. Luigi can footstool > nair is only a set up for
double jump > fire jump punch. And yoshi can potentially save his Double jump by footstool nair instead.

others have moves that work like Jiggly puff can footstool > rest but why do that when you could simply straight up rest them. And jiggly can footstool > nair to save jumps but jiggly has no shortage of jumps.

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Nah it does about 40% and it doesn't lead into a kill from 0 percent without a platform. Many characters can kill super early off platforms.

Though at higher percents you can sorta get an elevator kill, Full hop footstool > Uair > Uair like I showed with charizard (since you can't chain multiple footstool > Uair on charizard)

But they might remove this weakness on big characters, but not many characters can take huge advantage of it. Diddy's is teh only one that combos. Little mac nair only has enough hitstun at really high percents. Luigi can footstool > nair is only a set up for
double jump > fire jump punch. And yoshi can potentially save his Double jump by footstool nair instead.

others have moves that work like Jiggly puff can footstool > rest but why do that when you could simply straight up rest them. And jiggly can footstool > nair to save jumps but jiggly has no shortage of jumps.
I think the idea behind footstool > rest being good with jiggs is because you can option select it with a DJ Dair. As in, if you DJ Dair and don't get the footstool animation, you threw out a retreating aerial and the special input won't register. If you get the footstool, buffer properties has the last input come out (the special) instead.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I think the idea behind footstool > rest being good with jiggs is because you can option select it with a DJ Dair. As in, if you DJ Dair and don't get the footstool animation, you threw out a retreating aerial and the special input won't register. If you get the footstool, buffer properties has the last input come out (the special) instead.
Too bad this isn't a Jiggs thread. They really know their character.

Top Bottom