• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's Last Round Up. Dillon the AT (In glorious HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think Dillon is pretty damn likely to be honest. New IP, Sakurai digs those, cool character, Sakurai digs those, variety, Sakurai digs that.
Star Fox x Rolling Western? Just yes. Everywhere.

Also, did some snooping. Dillon seems to be on the majority of the charts in smash bingo. I could take this to mean he is generally expected, or not.
It's important to keep in mind that Smash Bingo allows 25 picks. I'd say that Dillon is one of the more common roster inclusions in general once you move past already-represented franchises, which sadly always seem to get the most attention, but he definitely isn't generally expected.Much like Shulk, he is a visually neat character who gets bandied around a lot as a potential new franchise rep and therefore has a decent amount of visibility here on the boards.

I'd certainly love to see him, though, and I hope that this time around Sakurai focuses more on including unrepresented franchises rather than beefing up the representation of existing franchises.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, looks like Dillon's Rolling Western the Last Ranger got released to the European eShop after all today. Kinda unexpected but good.

Uhm... Since you guys have already played the sequel already, how was it? Is it better than the first one? Are there any story related spoilers to the first one since I still haven't finished it yet. ^^;

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oh, looks like Dillon's Rolling Western the Last Ranger got released to the European eShop after all today. Kinda unexpected but good.

Uhm... Since you guys have already played the sequel already, how was it? Is it better than the first one? Are there any story related spoilers to the first one since I still haven't finished it yet. ^^;
It's pretty good. I recommend you play the first one as this one more build off of that one. The train adds a bit of depth and difficulty. The game is harder to complete missions. It is a bit easier with the rangers, somewhat. It may be harder if you never played the first one.

There are references to the first game, but don't fret if you haven't played it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's pretty good. I recommend you play the first one as this one more build off of that one. The train adds a bit of depth and difficulty. The game is harder to complete missions. It is a bit easier with the rangers, somewhat. It may be harder if you never played the first one.

There are references to the first game, but don't fret if you haven't played it.

I did play it remember. I just didn't finish it. (And since my save file got corrupted, I need to start all over again which I.... don't really feel like doing...)

Oh well, I downloaded the new game anyway and I like how they animated the characters a little further and all.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

TheCreator

Smash Lord
When it comes down to it though, what will tip a scale between a newcomer from one new series, to a newcomer from another new series? I think it's all Sakurai's decision at that point, but what could influence his thinking?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
When it comes down to it though, what will tip a scale between a newcomer from one new series, to a newcomer from another new series? I think it's all Sakurai's decision at that point, but what could influence his thinking?

What are you referring to? Other eShop heroes like Mallo and Tempo? Unless Sakurai has some kind of criteria that only one eShop hero can be playable in the game I don't really see why any other eShop heroes would hold Dillon back, especially since their made by other developers.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
What are you referring to? Other eShop heroes like Mallo and Tempo? Unless Sakurai has some kind of criteria that only one eShop hero can be playable in the game I don't really see why any other eShop heroes would hold Dillon back, especially since their made by other developers.
Well other eShop title heroes too, what would tip scales for them? But when I said this I was thinking other complete series. More specifically Dillon >\< Shulk

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
A relatively new title for the 3DS. Dillion's Rolling Western. A unique mix of spaghetti western, 3D platforming, and Tower Defense.

Dillion takes nothing from no one, a hardened cowboy bounty hunter and the best of the best.

Dillion is an armadillo. And as such, he can roll into a ball and spin across the fields at high speeds. He also has some fierce claws that he can combo out of from his "Spin Dash" and tear up anything in his path. They are made to dig through solid stone after all. Differences between Sonic's spin dash and Dillions include stopping when hitting and enemy instead of going through and the ability to slowly grind them away.

My image of Dillion would use more spaghetti western cliche's such as a revolver with ricocheting bullets. He doesn't use guns himself in the game BUT the turrets he can construct do.

----

Found by N30N
i understand his playstyle but considering he's a 3DS character he may just be for the 3DS version of smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sakurai confirmed there are no version exclusive characters

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Sorry to bump this topic, but Dillon looks a cool choice for Smash and a rep for the eShop!

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Full support for the armadillo. No questions asked.

Nintendo can only keep people coming back with nostalgia for so long. New series can be a detrimental piece of the Smash puzzle, and Dillon would be a great addition in this sense.

Plus, this could be a way to advertise the eShop to the more casual players who don't really utilize it. To be perfectly honest, Dillon has a ton going for him.

Not only that, Dillon is one bad ass mother ******. To think he is a Nintendo character is absolutely ridiculous.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Dillon is a Nintendo Allstar, and has much importance to Nintendo?
Maybe you should ask "What makes Dillion a Nintendo Allstar? Does he have importance to Nintendo?" instead of asking for opinions? Not that you'll get a different answer...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ok I think I'll ask somewhere else. :p
By the way, where did N30N get the neat shiny model of Dillon below?

The style looks pretty similar to the Prince Sable Model I currently have as an avatar.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ok I think I'll ask somewhere else. :p
By the way, where did N30N get the neat shiny model of Dillon below?

The style looks pretty similar to the Prince Sable Model I currently have as an avatar.
It's by the same artist.

Ascended

Smash Ace
As evidenced by my profile pic, I totally support Dillon. I haven't finished either game despite owning both of them, but he would be an awesome character. Some ideas I have for his moveset:

His A moves would uses his claws, and I would like to see some things done with the combo mechanic found in his home games.
A, A, A: Triple slash.
Down Smash: Pulls out the shotgun from the shotgun tower and shoots the ground for an area of effect attack.
Side Smash: Incorporating his combo mechanic, if you hit someone, you can continually tap the A button to get up to four hits. (You'll have to time it instead of just mashing it.)
Up Smash: Jumps up a bit and slashes with both claws.
Down Tilt: Sweep kick.
Side Tilt: One-arm swipe/slash.
Up Tilt: Swipes the air above him.

Nair: Spins (like Sonic)
Fair: This would be similar, yet weaker to his side smash. If you connect with someone, you can continue pressing A to combo (Getting up to three hits.)
Bair: Does a double kick, like Mario.
Dair: Slashes with both claws at the ground.
Uair: Same as his up tilt but in the air.

His Specials would make use of the items, maybe calling in some of the other rangers:
Neutral B: Dillon curls into a ball and will begin to build energy if you hold the button. If you've built up a full charge, then when you crash into an opponent, it will create an explosion/shockwave (like in the games.) If you haven't built up a charge, then press B again when you hit an opponent to grind them for up to five hits. The grind doesn't do much damage (like 15%) but it will cause a knockback when it's done.
Side B: Tilt to throw a freeze crystal, which can freeze opponents, or smash to throw a bomb crystal.
Up B: Russ comes in with the helicopter bike and lifts Dillon to safety.
Down B: Dillon burrows underground. While burrowed, the player can move Dillon, pressing B to pop out of the ground and damage an opponent.
FINAL SMASH: Arma-Mode. Dillon unleashes the power of his belt-buckle, becoming faster and stronger for a short amount of time.

So, what do you think?

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say that Dillon is a 110% Nintendo All-Star, but he's getting there, especially since he's become all but the face of the Nintendo eShop.

I never bought the second game, but I played quite a bit of the first one. It was pretty good, and I can confidently say that it offered something I'd never really seen in previous Nintendo games. Needless to say, Dillon is a perfect character for SSB. His motif is something original, and his rolling-up-into-a-ball-for-movement shtick isn't too terribly similar to Sonic, by any means.

All in all, while there are some more retro and/or longer-lasting (been around longer, rather) IPs that I'd love to see in, I think that there are some contemporary characters that are more than deserving.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I have never heard of Dillon before Smashboards, but I think he looks like a cool character. Dillon has my support for SSB4!

Groose

Smash Champion
Add me to the supporters list, please. I've given it some thought and I think he'd be the perfect representative of the eShop.

Oh, and it's Dillon's day on Rate Their Chances. Feel free to go vote and boost his want percentage. :p

Do you guys think Dillon is a Nintendo Allstar, and has much importance to Nintendo?
Not yet. But Smash could give him the boost he needs to become one.

1) Dillon appears in two good, but underrated eShop titles.

2) Dillon appears in Smash despite being somewhat obscure.

3) Sales of his eShop games spike, Nintendo develops a retail game for him.

4) Rolling Western becomes a somewhat major Nintendo franchise, Dillon is an All-Star.

It's similar to Pit, but Dillon is a modern series, not a retro one.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I believe in the past I posted, in this very thread, that I thought Dillon would be a good assist trophy.
I was wrong. Dillon for SSB4.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Dillon deserves to be the e-shop rep. Now I am debating whether the IP series will be Xenoblade (Shulk) Golden Sun (Isaac) or Dillon.

Also I have been considering buying the first game, should I?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Dillon deserves to be the e-shop rep. Now I am debating whether the IP series will be Xenoblade (Shulk) Golden Sun (Isaac) or Dillon.

Should be all 3.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here to show some support for Dillon, who makes my top five most wanted for Smash 4.

Nintendo has a bit of a reputation for reusing the same IPs over and over again, and I feel it desperately needs to push some of it's newer IPs forward. Dillon's Rolling Western series is one of the strongest candidates. I'll be buying his sequel very soon.

acekidgravity

Smash Cadet
Dillon represents a theme that we haven't seen any other Nintendo game cover quite so well or at all! His western theme is impressive and Nintendo should try their best to make him an all-star starting with adding him to Smash!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
OK...here's a cute little Dillon moveset!

Neutral A - Claw Strikes: Dillon strikes once with each claw before starting a quick succession of claw attacks right in front of him, the attack being similar to MK's Neutral A, dealing minimal slashing damage.

F-Tilt - Claw Jab: Dillon does a big swipe right in front of him with his right claw, has some moderate knockback.

D-Tilt - Claw Spin: Dillon spins on his feet once, small sweeps appearing at his sides and damaging nearby enemies.

U-Tilt - Hat Strike: Dillon swipes upward with his hat, hitting enemies for moderate damage and little knockback.

Dash Attack - Rolling Jump: He does a small jump forward as if getting into position to roll, just like in the games when you initiate a rolling-charge, this attack sends enemies downward slightly if it hits above them, and can be channeled into Rolling Charge.

Forward Smash - Shotgun Tower: Dillon stands back and a miniature-version of the Shotgun Tower appears in a poof in front of him, charging and then shooting pellets in a small cone before dissapearing from view. This attack has great horizontal knockback but low range.

Down Smash - Cannon Tower: A Cannonball Tower appears behind Dillon as he crouches and shields himself with his hard shell, the tower charging before shooting at the ground, causing a small explosion (About the range of Mr. G&W's Down Smash) that deals damage and varying knockback before dissapearing from view.

Up Smash - Gatling Tower: Dillon has his back to the camera as a Gatling Gun Tower appears and charges before shooting a medium-sized cone of bullets above him, causing moderate damage and knockback to enemies before dissapearing.

Neutral Air - Air Grind: Dillon rolls twice in the air like Samus' Space Jump in Super Metroid, causing damage to nearby enemies.

Forward Air - Rolling Combo: Dillon swipes twice with his claws in front of him...if this attack is initiated right after a Rolling Charge's finishing jump, it causes slight knockback, and bounces slightly when it hits an enemy.

Down Air - Armadrillo: Dillon faces downwards and puts both hands together, spinning like a drill and spiking anyone he touches, although it's a pretty tricky attack to land since the sweetspot is right at the tip of the drill.

Back Air - I DON'T LIKE ONIONS!: Dillon swipes back with a plate that's empty except for some onions, cracking it on the character he hits and doing quite a bit of knockback, although it only hits in the first frame, making it kind of a Sex Kick, just not a kick.

Neutral B - Rolling Charge: When B is pressed and held, Dillon charges up his roll on the ground, the sparks coming off him going from light blue, to yellow and then red at full-power. When he's charging, the player can change direction by flicking the C-Stick in the opposite direction. When B is released, Dillon rolls a little bit in front on him (Blue charge), a single Battlefield platform (Yellow charge), or most of the Battlefield terrain (Red charge) until he brakes with his claws OR hits an enemy...if Dillon hits an enemy on the way, the B button can be held again to make him grind on the enemy, causing moderate damage before he jumps back. This attack can be started right after Dillon's dash attack.

Forward B - The Last Rangers: Dillon points forward and summons three allies in the following order (The count resets when he gets KOed)...

Gallo, The Coin Killer: Gallo appears and holds out his golden revolver, shooting a single bullet with moderate range that has a pretty decent hitstun ability if it hits closer to Gallo.

Boone, The Shotgun Berseker: Boone appears and pumps his shotgun before firing a single burst of pellets that acts as a longer-ranged, less-knockback version of Dillon's F+Smash, it also has fire attributes, so it'll blow up the Fire Crate.

Nomad, The Assassin: Nomad appears and shoots a single Sniper Rifle bullet that can be angled downwards or upwards. If the player presses B during the attack, Nomad will swipe forward with two of his Scimitars before dissapearing.

Down B - Dynamite Time!: Dillon pulls out a pack of Dynamite and holds it in his hand, almost the same as Link's bomb attack, the main differences being that Dillon can hold the Dynamite for as long as he wants at the expense of having a small delay before he throws it (As he lights it up). The Dynamite pack also has the special trait of demolishing any destroyable structure in one hit (Like Shadow Moses' pillars).

Up B - Russ, Buddy!: Dillon reaches upwards as Russell grabs him and lifts him with his Pedal Hoverbike a decent vertical distance before dropping him off, like Solid Snake's camera, Russ acts as a small hitbox before he flies up into the sky.

Final Smash - Legendary Armamode: Dillon activates the Armamode, the "Arma-Mode Villiany" theme playing in the BG as he becomes severely enhanced, his Rolling Charge turning into red sparks in half the time, all claw attacks having painful knockback and his turret attacks spawning bigger turrets with slight homing capabilities until the power runs out. Also, if he catches someone in a Grind Roll during the duration of the attack, sparks and lightning will come off the enemy for a few seconds before he/she is knocked diagonally into the air, almost being an insta-kill at moderate damage ratios.

Taunt 1: He grabs his hat and taps it before putting it back on.
Taunt 2: He plays around with a random gem in his hand before putting it back onto his pocket.
Taunt 3: He drinks a shot-glass of random-colored juice, throwing it afterwards.

If anyone has better ideas for the taunts and has some ideas for victory poses, also need someone to make up his grabs and stuff...

Victory Theme: Arranged version of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WcVY-wFXuU

Kon

Smash Journeyman

I guess Dillon will have on the alternate colors not only a different bandana but I wasn't that motivated to try different color-options for him.

I also thought about possible B attacks for Dillon and here's my outcome:

For the Final Smash, I've got 3 main ideas:

You have to imagine the train would go through the stage from left to right or the other way. So you have a possibility to escape the final smash and still the train would be a strong final smash. The shotgun tower as a final smash could be controled by the player and could only shoot 2 or 3 times. The arma mode would make Dillon's attacks stronger and Dillon would be invincible for the time arma mode works.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I did post a color scheme in the thread of color palette swap. I will leave it here if you want to add it.

.n_n.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
As much as I love the original, go for the second one if you haven't already. It's vastly superior in every way possible and you don't need to know much about the previous game to understand what happens in Last Ranger (Except for maybe one or two things).

Nietendodude

Smash Ace

I guess Dillon will have on the alternate colors not only a different bandana but I wasn't that motivated to try different color-options for him.

I also thought about possible B attacks for Dillon and here's my outcome:

For the Final Smash, I've got 3 main ideas:

You have to imagine the train would go through the stage from left to right or the other way. So you have a possibility to escape the final smash and still the train would be a strong final smash. The shotgun tower as a final smash could be controled by the player and could only shoot 2 or 3 times. The arma mode would make Dillon's attacks stronger and Dillon would be invincible for the time arma mode works.
Quite possibly the best move-set for Dillon I have seen. I would root for Idea 3 for the Final Smash. It would have an enhances grind attack from his B as well as hit harder. Also thank you for picking Russ as his up-B. ;)

As for alt. skins I like the idea for the different scarfs, but to tell him apart better his shell should change color.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Quite possibly the best move-set for Dillon I have seen. I would root for Idea 3 for the Final Smash. It would have an enhances grind attack from his B as well as hit harder. Also thank you for picking Russ as his up-B. ;)

As for alt. skins I like the idea for the different scarfs, but to tell him apart better his shell should change color.
Change his scarf, boots, spikes and gloves. Like in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom