• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Directional Influence - A Summary

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
This is really a bump because this should be stickied, but I do think I can manage one question.

Can the attacker DI? Either I'm imagining things or when I do Mario's Dair -> Uair combo, for example, I feel like I stay in the air longer if I'm slide-DIing up during the Dair.

So am I crazy, or what?

-MR

tigerbombz

Smash Journeyman
WHO DA ***! another hater i see!? NIgggga please..i will bomb on u five stock withou DI. WAT U KNOW ABOUT THAt? get off this piece

niggga even used my line!!! u will feel the wrath for that

tutata

Smash Ace
Look man im not trying to be a deush, but your just like those newbs on the halo 2 forums that think bxr, double shot, and bxb is cheating, look if u wanna play the ***** way just go to a kindger garden school and go play 5 stock all items with them:psycho:

kuenzel

Smash Ace
is it really possible to do this on the actual controller? especailly, on my crappy ones, itseems that for most of the technical stuff its all assuming you doing i on a keybaord

ant-d

Smash Lord
I added this to the main post:

Important Facts to remember:
1. Different attacks have different length DI windows.
2. The DI window never changes. EG. You will always have 6 frames to DI Fox's Down-smash. 0% or 200% this doesn't change.

Here Jigglypuff DI's upwards. As you can see, the percentage doesn't effect the DI window nor the amount of DI movement.
3. Each character has the same DI window for each given attack (see number 2).

DI window = The amount of time you have to DI.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
Are you using a force of 99, and moving one increment every frame for max DI?

ant-d

Smash Lord
If your hands are fast enough the best way is slide DI. This is how far you can get from Kirby with maximum DI:

You could do 1/4 of this DI and escape the up tilt.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
That is some seriously huge DI. Is that stronger than smash DI + auto DI in melee? (just curious)

Thanks for all the cool info so far ant-d.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I dunno what auto DI is.
SSBM has SSB and SSBM types of DI.
Thanks!

Auto DI is the easy one, where you just hold the stick(s) where you want to go, double stick is always better (I think)

Smash DI is the slide DI of ssbm, from what it looks like. The ''uber hard'' kind of DI that only pros master.

I suck at smash DI in melee... but im good at auto Di which is enough to save me in most combos, and in ssb64 I just do the direction mashing DI to escape drills and whatnot.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
lol, wow cant believe i just discovered DI. anyways i was wondering some things about slide DI. So say i was about to get uair comboed by falcon or fox and i wanted to DI to the right, would it be best to move the stick to the top/bottom corner and wait till the hit to start sliding, or should i just start sliding like mad as soon as i realize it's about to happen? Also does the movement into the corner position for slide DI count as a smash DI?

ant-d

Smash Lord
I was talking from a technical standpoint in this topic. I might change that part about sliding, it's not for real time play really.

Smashing is probably easier.

Any 42 degree change in direction counts as a DI movement. When 'smashing' the range of the stick contributes to the amount of movement. So putting the stick all the way results in more movement than a minimal range smash movement.
Sliding would technically result in more movement since your always holding the stick as far as it can go. However, it's difficult to get into that position in a real match. If you are asking about a real time example then I believe good players smash the stick, which seems easier and more effective in real time.

Well, moving the stick before you get hit does nothing. It's up to personal preference and stick mashing ability.

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
ok, time to bring back an old good topic
Sliding requires no button pressing, correct?
But you say in a real example, sliding with the controller is not as easy and effective as smashing, unless you're pro and whatnot. I want to bring up the last question asking if sliding the stick before you're hit will still work when you are hit and continue to slide. Sliding when you know you are goung to be hit seems liek ti would help me, instead of trying to time it.
Also, if I wanted to smash a bunch of times, i'm assuming that I have to do a smash attack, let the stick go back to neutral, then move the stick to smash again.
I'm sick of my friend who just learned how to juggle with falcon, so I have to stop that. Should I smash straight down or should I slide like a motherFer back and forth along the bottom of the stick area?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
ok, time to bring back an old good topic
Sliding requires no button pressing, correct?
But you say in a real example, sliding with the controller is not as easy and effective as smashing, unless you're pro and whatnot. I want to bring up the last question asking if sliding the stick before you're hit will still work when you are hit and continue to slide. Sliding when you know you are goung to be hit seems liek ti would help me, instead of trying to time it.
Also, if I wanted to smash a bunch of times, i'm assuming that I have to do a smash attack, let the stick go back to neutral, then move the stick to smash again.
I'm sick of my friend who just learned how to juggle with falcon, so I have to stop that. Should I smash straight down or should I slide like a motherFer back and forth along the bottom of the stick area?
youve got to remember some attacks and combos you wont be able to get out of, and sense you said falcon im going to asume your friend learned how to Usmash/throw --> Uair?

That is a very good combo with very little hope of you escaping (unless you play KB and through countless atempts i have found, that a KB wont plug into the N64 D:) depending on where your too you have to DI diffrent ways, if your near and edge, or will be within the combo, Smash DI towards the ledge, then you can hopfully tech, and the combo will be ruined...other wise id say Smash DI upwards and try to either jump out, or use a fast attack (most Nairs, foxs Shine, ect)

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
Alright, after a few matches I've been trying random DI downwards while being Uair juggled, and at low % I'm escaping underneath sometimes. I need to learn how to execute DI betar

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Technically, down is probably the best to escape at low damage
Up is probably the best at high damage
for falcon fairs. it's best to do to DI in the direction they are coming from.
if you DI down (IF the person using falcon is smart enough) you can have enough time in the fall to execute a nair if you try

Skrlx

Smash Champion
if they are good enough to do that then it would be trivial for them to change horizontal direction
Well that's what i do.. i DI the direction in the direction they are coming from. sometimes they notice the pattern and immediately turn around and go for a grab. sometimes i DI down where it breaks falcon's two hits. 40% chance that i can execute it and get away with it (as in after i break the combo i don't get grabbed)

Falcon's uair's are extremely hard to get away from.. what do you suggest? i saw that you said you tap up and down like crazy.. how does that help?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
well imo if you cant get to a platform, DI up...simply because with each hit your going to get hit further up due to knock back, so your best chance of getting away would be to work with the momentum, then either jump, or use an attack you think fast enough, and with enough priority to disallow another Uair..or W.E they want to try

swebits98

Smash Apprentice
well imo if you cant get to a platform, DI up...simply because with each hit your going to get hit further up due to knock back, so your best chance of getting away would be to work with the momentum, then either jump, or use an attack you think fast enough, and with enough priority to disallow another Uair..or W.E they want to try
up is hard to do thou >=]

Xelgand

Smash Apprentice
I have a doubt.

Well, you can't use DI against normal grabs, but with kirb's grab, it's like a smash when it touches the floor so i always try to down DI (like a wall DI) and i think it works.

Should this really work or no? If it works it can be used on some grabs like falcon's or jiggly's back grab.

Top Bottom