• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Directional Influence - A Summary

xX1SHOt

Smash Rookie
I have a very specific DI question about two issues that may be simplified. Lets say I am playing with fox and yoshi d-airs me, should I use smash DI to the sides or slide DI and slide up and down very fast along the left/right side of the joystick. I have been using smash DI in this situation and it works fine, but I leave the dair with about 24%, and would like this to be less. I guess the same goes for pikachu(i know this was stated in the original post but I want a real time solution) concerning the slide DI of smash DI because all I use is smash really.

Tips?

Lovage

Smash Hero
if fox is running right and then jumps to up air you, should you smash di left and left/down? that's the best method in ssbm

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I have a very specific DI question about two issues that may be simplified. Lets say I am playing with fox and yoshi d-airs me, should I use smash DI to the sides or slide DI and slide up and down very fast along the left/right side of the joystick. I have been using smash DI in this situation and it works fine, but I leave the dair with about 24%, and would like this to be less. I guess the same goes for pikachu(i know this was stated in the original post but I want a real time solution) concerning the slide DI of smash DI because all I use is smash really.

Tips?
Either one works go with whatever works best for you.

smakis

Smash Ace
about smash di, how many times is it humanly possible to smash the stick in a 10 frame window? once? twice? i find it really hard to mash fast enough for several inputs

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
well, 10 frames = 1/6th of a second. If you want, count how many times you can smash the control stick in one full second, then divide it by 6. That is how many times you would be able to successfully smash di in a 10 frame window.

As for humanly possible... well, everyone's different, so it's hard to answer.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So, this may be a stupid question, but how do you do slide DI on a keyboard? would you, to slide up and away, press up and then right quickly?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
So, this may be a stupid question, but how do you do slide DI on a keyboard? would you, to slide up and away, press up and then right quickly?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice
It's like doing a Hadouken on SF.
An example of sliding a whole circle:
-press left
-press up
-release left
-press right
-release up
-press down
-release right
-press left
-release down
To maximize your DI in one direction, for example up:
-hold up
-tap left (your char DI's diagonally up-left)
-tap right (your char DI's diagonally up-right)
-tap left (your char DI's diagonally up-left)
-tap right (your char DI's diagonally up-right)
as many times as you can squeeze into that little frame window. That's some GODLY DI if you get used to it. Theoretically what I wrote there isn't slide DI, but 2xDI, but it's practically slide DI, because the frame input will look a bit like this:
-up+left
-up
-up+right
-up
-up+left
etc.
I hope this is clear enough.. :ohwell:

FuzionMonkey

Smash Rookie
How would I DI out of multi-hit attacks like the Samus Up-B and the Pikachu Side-air?

If I just slide the control stick up and down as fast as possible on the left or right side, is that the basic idea?

So basically I the movement of my control stick would be like this:
Left -> DiagonalLeftDown-> Left -> DiagonalLeftUp -> Left

For samus up B do you want to DI down? And for the pikachu side air, you want to DI in the direction opposite of Pikachu's direction?

DMoogle

A$
How would I DI out of multi-hit attacks like the Samus Up-B and the Pikachu Side-air?
I'm pretty sure you mean Pika's forward-air, but you should specify in the future when it's not so obvious. Forward-air is different from back-air.

If I just slide the control stick up and down as fast as possible on the left or right side, is that the basic idea?

So basically I the movement of my control stick would be like this:
Left -> DiagonalLeftDown-> Left -> DiagonalLeftUp -> Left
Yeah, but use your RIGHT hand to move the joystick, since you have much more control and speed with your right hand than your left thumb. So, in that example, you would keep the joystick pressed to the left with your left thumb, then, with your right hand, shake the controller up and down (like as if you were jacking off) to get that sliding motion. You should get really good DI this way.
For samus up B do you want to DI down? And for the pikachu side air, you want to DI in the direction opposite of Pikachu's direction?
For Pika it varies depending on the position, but usually you want to end up behind him. I'm not 100% sure on the best way to DI out of Samus' up-B, but I've speculated that going down is the best way to go. The problem with my DI method is that, while you can get fantastic DI to the left and right, up and down is hard.

FuzionMonkey

Smash Rookie
Yeah, but use your RIGHT hand to move the joystick, since you have much more control and speed with your right hand than your left thumb. So, in that example, you would keep the joystick pressed to the left with your left thumb, then, with your right hand, shake the controller up and down (like as if you were jacking off) to get that sliding motion. You should get really good DI this way.
Hey, thank you. I never would have thought of that technique.

And yeah, I meant Pikachu forward-air. My mistake.

mother_brain

Smash Rookie
Is there a list somewhere of multi-hit attacks and combos and how to DI out of them?

I compiled a list of everything in this thread, but I'm sure it requires some revision.

Anyone want to help out?

I'd like this chart to be focused on realtime play, so if any of this stuff is impossible or inefficient in realtime, please correct it.
Pikachu's Fair: DI to the opposite side of Pikachu. -ant-d
Fox's Uair (first hit): DI to the left or to the right. -ant-d
Ness's Utilt: DI to the opposite side of Ness. -ant-d
Falcon's Uair: DI upwards at higher percentages, and downwards at lower percentages. -ant-d
Falcon's Fair: DI downwards or to the opposite side of Falcon. -skrlx
Kirby's Utilt: DI away from Kirby. -ant-d
Samus's Upb: DI upwards. -superboom
Yoshi's Dair: DI to the left or to the right. -ballin4life
Arwing: DI upwards. -ant-d

Some more questions:

-Is it ever useful to DI upwards or downwards out of Dair drills? Does it even work?
-Is it easier to escape Kirby's/Yoshi's/Pikachu's/Link's(etc.) Utilts by DI'ing away from them or towards them? Does DI'ing upwards or downwards work at all against Utilt combos?
-Are all Uair juggling combos (Luigi/Mario/Falcon) most easily escaped through DI'ing upwards at higher percentages, and downwards at lower percentages? Does DI'ing to the side work against Luigi and Mario?

What are the best ways to DI out of...
...Fox's jabs?
...Yoshi's Nair? Ftilt?
...Mario's Downb? Upb?
...Link's Usmash?
...Samus's Usmash? Fair?
...Kirby's UpB?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
...Fox's jabs - Upwards/Away from fox to avoid any following jabs or Usmashs

...Yoshi's Nair- Seems Situational

Ftilt - Away from Yoshi...in the same direction the Ftilt is sending you (putting you away from spikes or what ever is to follow)

...Mario's Downb - Left or Right (situational) can end up with you shooting out at and angle though

Upb- no idea :(

...Link's Usmash - What Boom Said

...Samus's Usmash - Does not seem important but...i dunno xD

Fair - Situational...DI in the direction you think puts you at the least risk for another attack

...Kirby's UpB - No idea D:

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
DI infront of link for his upsmash. Most of the time it's better to Di infront of pika's fair, but really it's situational most of the time.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
This is dumb. If my opponent always does DI to the back when I do a fair with Pikachu, I'll just press back once I hit the first hit of the fair, following him. The rule of thumb with drills is: away.
Same goes for Samus' upb. Depending on where you were and if Samus was standing or not, you will end up differently, so DI appropiately. For example, when Samus does the Upb from the ground and so are you, it's usually best to DI down and to the opposite side of Samus.
I disagree with Surri on Fox's jab. Doing down+away at low percents will allow you to tech away sometimes. At higher percents I agree on up+away though.
Samus' upsmash: Depends on which part of the smash hits you. The upsmash has five hits. If hit by any of the first three, DI to the side Samus is facing and up. If hit by the last two DI to the side Samus is not facing and up, but you're pretty much screwed in this situation.
Mario's Upb: You want to avoid the last hit, which is the one that hits stronger. Usually the best way to do this is to DI towards the side Mario is not facing. There is a risk involved, especially in edgeguarding: If you end up getting hit anyways you will be sent backwards and with enough hitstun to get comboed (considering Mario grabs the ledge instead of landing on the stage).
Fox's uair: slide up and away from Fox, not just left or right.

dandan

Smash Lord
"Fox's Uair (first hit): DI to the left or to the right. -ant-d"

I always thought you were supposed to DI up. o.o
from what i got from mahie, who has masterful di, normally you should di up and to the back of fox. unless the fox is above you then you should di down and to the back of fox.
fox uair is one of the harder things to di imo, but since i heard that advice, i manage to di out of the second hit way more often.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
from what i got from mahie, who has masterful di, normally you should di up and to the back of fox. unless the fox is above you then you should di down and to the back of fox.
fox uair is one of the harder things to di imo, but since i heard that advice, i manage to di out of the second hit way more often.
That's what I concluded too, but both of those aren't purely right or left.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Mario's up+b --> it depends of the situation, but in general this attack is fast and you cant rarely take advantage of DI unless its on the middle of the stage where you can DI downwards to try to punish his hitlag.

dandan

Smash Lord
That's what I concluded too, but both of those aren't purely right or left.
i am guessing antd figured that with tas, you can escape as far as you can with di to either directions, but with human di if you di left or right, you will most likely be hit by the second kick.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
how exactly do you Slide DI?
As in controller movements
describe the motion?

And do you fully press the controller so that the joystick touches that grey part over it

Sangoku

Smash Master
I found this vid by chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8F13WU6ERY

The thing I was wondering about is: don't you waste time by moving your left hand?

I mean, when I have to DI, I don't have much time to think about it. Let's say fox hits with the first kick of uair, the time I spend moving my left hand, the second kick will have already touched. Or do I have to anticipate?

And is that what DMoogle meant by his jacking off DI?

dandan

Smash Lord
yeah he did, i think if you get used to it you can do it pretty quickly. but i think you should try it for drills at first.
however, i do not know if this is correct, but it seems like something like this will kill the n64 stick pretty quickly :S

DMoogle

A$
I found this vid by chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8F13WU6ERY

The thing I was wondering about is: don't you waste time by moving your left hand?

I mean, when I have to DI, I don't have much time to think about it. Let's say fox hits with the first kick of uair, the time I spend moving my left hand, the second kick will have already touched. Or do I have to anticipate?

And is that what DMoogle meant by his jacking off DI?
Oh wow, that's almost exactly it for the side DI. You don't actually have to move your left hand off of the controller like that, just hold the joystick in position.

I'll make a video anyway.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Please don't make that video. If you do, hire an attractive female smasher to perform the actual hand movements. Otherwise, I might throw up.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Dang. I need some DI lessons. Severe practice. And my Hori needs to hurry the hell up so I don't destroy my nice original controllers on this ****...

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I can DI enough to stuff them up if they're going for the spike. i don't know how I do when they're using it to combo with uair chains.

Top Bottom