• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diving into Dthrow - Everything you need to know about tech chasing

mofo_

Smash Ace
? what is that exactly.
like a dacus but instead of an upsmash you shield?
its when someone shields near the edge ( which you can easily set up w/ d-throw ) and you dash attack into, the dash attack will cancel and u can do like a bair or somethin

mofo_

Smash Ace
many of you probably know this, but since were talking about dthrow...you can do infinite dthrows in Delfino plaza on the island w/ no green pipe. just go by the edge and do dthrow then theyll land in the water and you can grab them and repeat. doesnt work on small characters or slow falling characters... it didnt work for me w/ MK, ROB, Samus and Luigi . it worked w/ Dedede, Marth, Ganon, Falco( i only tried it with those characters btw )

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
at the risk of reviving a thread that was seemingly dead, i was wondering if anyone was willing to test something to do with the dthrow.

i find often when i block a getup attack with the intention of regrabbing, i will be pushed too far back and will have to move forward in order to regrab. however, i have also noticed, that this is not the case for every character.

if someone was able to test this, i think it would make this thread even more awesome.

at the risk of reviving a thread that was seemingly dead, i was wondering if anyone was willing to test something to do with the dthrow.

i find often when i block a getup attack with the intention of regrabbing, i will be pushed too far back and will have to move forward in order to regrab. however, i have also noticed, that this is not the case for every character.

if someone was able to test this, i think it would make this thread even more awesome.
That wouldn't be too hard to test. I think those with double hits on the shield like CF/Ganon push you to far away to regrab. Oh, and if anyone noticed, that whole jab -> grab thing is crap xD

RATED

Smash Lord
many of you probably know this, but since were talking about dthrow...you can do infinite dthrows in Delfino plaza on the island w/ no green pipe. just go by the edge and do dthrow then theyll land in the water and you can grab them and repeat. doesnt work on small characters or slow falling characters... it didnt work for me w/ MK, ROB, Samus and Luigi . it worked w/ Dedede, Marth, Ganon, Falco( i only tried it with those characters btw )
Marth can UP B out of this? anyone could try this?

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Are there any general strategies that snakes use to tech chase?

I know that most rolls are punishable; rolling away is punishable by Dash attack and rolling towards is punishable by Ftilt.

So aside from waiting to see how they react and then punishing, is there any other way to predict where they will go?

inb4watchtheircontroller

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Never go for the regrab unless I'm certain. Only wait and punish. If no options are punishable on reaction, just go for the read and pray.

Listen2theircontroller. /what I do

People always mash A during the dthrow when they do getup attacks. I don't know why, but that's the only time I ever shield.... few people wait until they can.. you know.. actually input the getup attack.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Never go for the regrab unless I'm certain. Only wait and punish. If no options are punishable on reaction, just go for the read and pray.

Listen2theircontroller. /what I do

People always mash A during the dthrow when they do getup attacks. I don't know why, but that's the only time I ever shield.... few people wait until they can.. you know.. actually input the getup attack.
This is actually very smart. I'll keep this in mind.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I wish I could just listen to the controller, it's always so loud here :/

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I tend to do what Shmot says.

I don't have difficulties in reading my opponents habits when tech chasing from Dthrow.
Works a treat really.

Never thought of looking/listening at/to their controllers. I don't think it's all that reliable.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The very best thing you can do is limit their options with well placed C4, Mines and Grenades, effectively limiting their options a lot and easing prediction. You are blessed to have such wonderful projectiles.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah mines more often than not blow up w/o them getting hit b/c the roll negates them, you have to be very particular about spacing.

Although with platforms like BF, I've been able to read a getup/attack and jump away -> C4 them.

I wish fsmash was more guaranteed. I actually found this weird thing where if the character's back roll sucks, sometimes they don't go past you when you use fsmash facing towards them. Pretty situational, but still funny.

Then there's the ghetto regrab tech chase where you can do ftilt1 -> grab on most of what they choose, which makes it much easier until they start getting smart to it.

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
techchasing is rock paper scissors, if they have a towards-away getup attack.
good players don't let themselfs be influenced by anything. and the habits they have, are equal to none.
good luck!

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I found out recently that Marth's roll away from dthrow doesn't actually have invulnerability at the beginning so you can actually jab him (his hurbox gets bigger as he start rolling so jab hits him) or pivot grab him out of it if times right, or other punishes too. perhaps we should get data on who else lacks invincibility so that we have another option against roll aways.

Also, I like to stress the importance of characters with Away-Towards attacks, with these characters you can react to their getup attacks, which means that you can on reaction beat their getup, getup attack, and roll behinds (this one safest punished with ftilt). And if they roll away you can follow them and can potentially get a followup depending on what they do after they are out of lag.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I believe susa or velox already posted the marth jab thing, he's still kind of hard to tech chase because he has a towards away and he lies low enough that you basically have to utilt him or maybe dtilt to stop him from just staying there and reacting to you

Yeah, this rings a bell. I remember during testing that marth's forward roll (away roll) could be hit by something. If I am remembering this correctly, you can punish it with Ftilt too. Dang it, I should have kept better track of what I found and wrote it down somewhere.

Also, I am currently trying to learn PSA so that I can figure out the true values of those tech chases. Trying to do manual testing takes too long, is prone to mistakes, and is hard to find invicible frames.

Nvm what I said. Thanks to dantarion, an animation compliation thread, and EY, I just figured it out. Give me a few hours and I should have everything we need regarding that frame data for rolls, get-up attack, and get-up.

lmao Apprently marth is the only person who we can abuse like that. His invicible frame happens on frame 5 from his forward roll. That goes to explain why we can Ftilt him out of it. Everyone else sadly has frame 1 invicibility :(

Top Bottom