• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Considering Sakurai's adoration for the originals, shouldn't DotA be the one to get a rep, not LoL?
Sakurai doesn't decide anymore though, so this doesn't even matter :4pacman:
If we were going for the original originals, we'd have Dragon Slayer and Ultima before Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
Somehow Arthas and Estelle both come out winning in this timeline

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Considering Sakurai's adoration for the originals, shouldn't DotA be the one to get a rep, not LoL?
More like we'd get a Warcraft rep before any MOBA. Or even a Starcraft one since DotA was inspired by the Starcraft mod Aeon of Strife.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, one of the few things going for DotA (2) is that their long time developer IceFrog is both very much like Sakurai and was a SNES / early PS fanboy himself (one of Dota's characters also has Omnislash - the only difference between Juggernaut's and Cloud's versions is that Juggernaut lacks the big finishing blow but recently got a mini-Omnislash as a separate spell which Juggernaut gains if he buys the Aghanim's Sceptre item).

It's one of the reasons that - in the really unlikely universe Dota 2 gets in - I'll seriously consider buying enough gold and gemstones to construct a statue of Sakurai shaking hands with an ice-colored frog.

If we were going for the original originals, we'd have Dragon Slayer and Ultima before Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
SMH we've not gotten a rep from Christopher Stratchey's Draughts - the first fully completed video game (1952) and thus the true OG - yet. For some reason.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The difference is I'm open to the possibility one way or another that someone like Chun could or could not happen next.

Your original post was "The patterns" and "In my opinion", though not worded as such.

When will we learn that we don't know what the patterns are, if there even are any at all.
I'm not using patterns. I'm weighing out the possibilities. Simply put: What are the chances of something similar happening for the last three fighters?

There are so many franchises and companies and series. What are the odds that Nintendo/Sakurai picked another fighter for a 3rd party already repped VS Them picking a completely new 3rd party series. It's not impossible for them to do it again. It very well may happen, just like you said.

But we have to consider all the variables. All the potential possibilities. If there is something that doesn't happen often vs something that does happen often, what is more likely to happen? Not what will happen. We don't know what will happen. But we can make an educated guess.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Somehow Arthas and Estelle both come out winning in this timeline
Maaaaybe. While technically a subseries of a Dragon Slayer subseries, Trails is very far removed from the original game. Legend of Heroes dropped the Dragon Slayer subtitle after only the second installment, and Trails started with the sixth game. It's even less connected than SMT and Persona; At least those two share some demons. Saying Estelle or Rean is a Dragon Slayer rep is a bit of a stretch.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not using patterns. I'm weighing out the possibilities. Simply put: What are the chances of something similar happening for the last three fighters?

There are so many franchises and companies and series. What are the odds that Nintendo/Sakurai picked another fighter for a 3rd party already repped VS Them picking a completely new 3rd party series. It's not impossible for them to do it again. It very well may happen, just like you said.

But we have to consider all the variables. All the potential possibilities. If there is something that doesn't happen often vs something that does happen often, what is more likely to happen? Not what will happen. We don't know what will happen. But we can make an educated guess.
We can make an educated guess, but blog theory was an educated guess based on collected data, and look how that turned out in the end. In the end, all that math ended up being nothing simply because Sakurai did in fact slow down the reveals, despite "The evidence" saying that it wouldn't happen.

Our data is good, until it isn't, we don't have all the pieces, and I think it speaks volumes that every time we get a new character, it more or less shatters the current speculation and makes us rethink everything from step one.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Maaaaybe. While technically a subseries of a Dragon Slayer subseries, Trails is very far removed from the original game. Legend of Heroes dropped the Dragon Slayer subtitle after only the second installment, and Trails started with the sixth game. It's even less connected than SMT and Persona; At least those two share some demons. Saying Estelle or Rean is a Dragon Slayer rep is a bit of a stretch.
I mean when the playable character of the first 2 Dragon Slayer games, literally does not have a name of any sort, it sorta slim pickings.

And Unlike Rune Factory or Persona. That were always intended to be spinoffs (they still make Shin Megami Tensei games separately from Persona) The Trails series is a continuation of the Dragon Slayer series. Xanadu is a more accurate comparison to Persona.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean when the playable character of the first 2 Dragon Slayer games, literally does not have a name of any sort, it sorta slim pickings.

And Unlike Rune Factory or Persona. That were always intended to be spinoffs (they still make Shin Megami Tensei games separately from Persona) The Trails series is a continuation of the Dragon Slayer series. Xanadu is a more accurate comparison to Persona.
Just go with the guy on the cover of the second game and call him Xanadude. There, problem solved :4pacman:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the only real wrong move at this point is taking Sephiroth as an indicator that we’d get another 3rd party villain. That’s almost never how it works.

I said it yesterday I think...each new character broke with what we knew, but no two DLC characters have broken things the same way. Joker had a gun, nobody else really has, for example.

The only thing that I would honestly keep my eye on as any indication of potential future content is that “leak” that suggested Chun-Li and Tales are in the mix. I’d argue if one of those two happens then we’re at a pretty interesting moment. But there’s also a pretty decent chance of that not actually resulting in anything.

Honestly Sephiroth was one of those characters I never expected, but thought would have been über hype, and since his release my interest in future characters is now severely less invested. They could add only a handful of characters that would legitimately leave me disappointed, and many that would get the excitement rolling all over again.

I just don’t know how you guys all keep going with this. There’s hardly anything to talk about.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Between discussion about hypotheticals, Nintendo news, and general s***posting there's enough to sustain the thread for at least another month.

Plus its nice to have a place where fake leak talk comes in a moderate amount; just enough to dismiss and intrigue.

D

Deleted member

I think the only real wrong move at this point is taking Sephiroth as an indicator that we’d get another 3rd party villain. That’s almost never how it works.

I said it yesterday I think...each new character broke with what we knew, but no two DLC characters have broken things the same way. Joker had a gun, nobody else really has, for example.

The only thing that I would honestly keep my eye on as any indication of potential future content is that “leak” that suggested Chun-Li and Tales are in the mix. I’d argue if one of those two happens then we’re at a pretty interesting moment. But there’s also a pretty decent chance of that not actually resulting in anything.

Honestly Sephiroth was one of those characters I never expected, but thought would have been über hype, and since his release my interest in future characters is now severely less invested. They could add only a handful of characters that would legitimately leave me disappointed, and many that would get the excitement rolling all over again.

I just don’t know how you guys all keep going with this. There’s hardly anything to talk about.
So...what you're saying is...the next game is 'Think of something that hasn't been done before' and that's the next character?
Just kidding for those who can't read the sarcasm/joking tone in my words

Last edited by a moderator:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Am I going crazy or has speculation become hyper focused on characters with games that have Spring releases? Or is it more that already popular characters just so happen to also have a release in the first few months of this year?

Hell, even Sora falls into this trend with the new EGS annoucement.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Am I going crazy or has speculation become hyper focused on characters with games that have Spring releases? Or is it more that already popular characters just so happen to also have a release in the first few months of this year?

Hell, even Sora falls into this trend with the new EGS annoucement.
A lot of that comes from the desire to have a speculation based on something. Smash itself has proven to be too unpredictable outside some assumptions (likely not 2 or more characters from the same third party in the same pass, likely not something that's been spirited, etc) so guessing synergy with major releases is something to go off of. Otherwise its just guessing at the many range of characters are just notable enough to be realistically considered.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still sticking to a rough schedule of 9 next month, 10 in June, and 11 in September. Gives Nintendo buzz and attention at just the right points, and if the company does anything around E3, it would be an ideal part of a presentation or series of announcements.
My prediction as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
oh

OH **** OH MY GOOOOODDDD

I GOT A SOURCE LATELY AND THEY SENT ME THIS SHES IN

yes, it's fake. this was actually made by a friend in Blender, but I do expect some people to make fake leaks in Blender eventually. yeah, the lack of thumbs up Ken gave it away :4pacman:
here's the original:

...i just want an image leak or something oh my God :c

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
oh

OH **** OH MY GOOOOODDDD

I GOT A SOURCE LATELY AND THEY SENT ME THIS SHES IN

yes, it's fake. this was actually made by a friend in Blender, but I do expect some people to make fake leaks in Blender eventually. yeah, the lack of thumbs up Ken gave it away :4pacman:
here's the original:

...i just want an image leak or something oh my God :c
Wish that were real...

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I checked the rumor page on the wiki after Milk-BOSATU got dredged up again, and I learned something new.
View attachment 302749
I thought the LoL rumor was from April, but turns out it's actually from around the January-February range.

This little bit of knowledge has the added effect of making it harder to believe, because it's highly unlikely that someone would know about this all the way back to when Byleth was just revealed.

Oof.
To Play devil's Advocate

They never gave a specific date for when a League character would be revealed. All the Fighters for FP2 is finalized at the same time, It's possible they know or heard of League character being in Smash, just don't know when exactly

I know not every character is gonna be Steve or Sephiroth where they were in the rumor mill for like 2 years before they were revealed, but I think in this scenraio it's very plausible that League character was something that was in production, and this person knows of this, but not when

The thing I wonder though is how he supposedly knew about The Knight and Spirits from Mana series, since all the info here are from 3 different 3rd party companies

I also Unsure of this leak's validity, but it has gotten things right in and outside of Smash. I will also say that even if this leak was real, it's possible FP2 might still not have League character, as the Smash talk could be negotiations actually starting, but eh

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Here’s a game for you; think of a stage that you could see as a standalone DLC, without a fighter in sight. I’d personally love to see a stage based off of You Don’t Know Jack. It could function a bit like this;
  1. Questions appear in the background while answers show up in the form of 4 platforms
  2. Players jump onto the platform displaying the answer they think is right
  3. If a player is right, they are healed depending on the time it took for them to answer, as well as receiving a status buff. If they get it wrong, they take roughly the same amount of damaged, while being crippled by negative status effects. Staying on the ground will do nothing.
Now let’s see you guys do it!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I think something interesting about that rumor is that we could get one of those characters but not another. The rumor never even said those characters would become DLC, just that they were in development for base. So there’s a chance it was real but Chun & Tales just aren’t happening for whatever reason. After development on Ultimate has ended, Sakurai could comment about how they were planned but cut which would be interesting.

Or we could get the Tales character, but it turns out Chun was straight up replaced with Ken. Or Chun is happening, but no Tales.

Chun-Leak is the one I’m most sure of right now (like only 50% sure though lol), but there’s a lot of interesting outcomes for it. If it’s fake, that guy got really lucky & was also smart enough to cover his ass heavily lmao

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So if that Tales of Chun-Li leak does come true, how many of you would be ok with that timeline?

I would be ok with it myself. While I would be disappointed that Street Fighter got 3 reps before Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, DMC, or Resident Evil got any playable characters, Chun-Li would be a solid choice for reasons that have been stated many times. Plus I do dig Street Fighter Alpha's soundtrack so hopefully in this timeline we would get some music from there. I also have been preparing myself for a Tales Of rep since I see that as the most likely Bamco series. I would be fine with Lloyd or Yuri, even if my only experience with the series is a little bit of Tales of Vesperia.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So if that Tales of Chun-Li leak does come true, how many of you would be ok with that timeline?
I'd be fine with it, not psyched about a Tales character but the excitement of having Chun-Li (one of my most wanted characters) would more than make up for it. At worst, I'm just neutral on Lloyd or Yuri.

Assuming of course that this timeline doesn't mean that Chun-Li, Lloyd AND Yuri all make it in. That would be overkill for Tales, but I'm sure that's probably not what you meant lmao. With one of my MWs in and the final spot still up for grabs I can't complain.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dude, same. Speculation cycles usually don't last this long and the information drip is so far apart that the hype train doesn't last much between character reveals. I think that when there's only one character left to be revealed there will be more excitement in general but right now it's a matter of waiting every three months for a reveal.

Also it doesn't help that we pretty much talked about every character that exists to an extensive degree. The lack of good leaks (keyword leak here, not rumor) since the SNK leak has kinda stifled speculation a bit since we don't have anything to go off of.

I'm just in it for the ride at this point. I got one DLC character I wanted (Steve) and hey if I manage to get another one that's great, but I'm not expecting that to happen. Hopefully everyone who didn't get a character they want as DLC manages to get one in the upcoming three packs.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

I would be ok with it myself. While I would be disappointed that Street Fighter got 3 reps before Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, DMC, or Resident Evil got any playable characters, Chun-Li would be a solid choice for reasons that have been stated many times. Plus I do dig Street Fighter Alpha's soundtrack so hopefully in this timeline we would get some music from there. I also have been preparing myself for a Tales Of rep since I see that as the most likely Bamco series. I would be fine with Lloyd or Yuri, even if my only experience with the series is a little bit of Tales of Vesperia.
eh.

Chun-Li is cool I guess, and I don't really care about Tales like, at all

it would be like how most of FP1 is for me, most of the characters aren't ones I hate, but don't do much for me

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'd be fine with it, not psyched about a Tales character but the excitement of having Chun-Li (one of my most wanted characters) would more than make up for it. At worst, I'm just neutral on Lloyd or Yuri.

Assuming of course that this timeline doesn't mean that Chun-Li, Lloyd AND Yuri all make it in. That would be overkill for Tales, but I'm sure that's probably not what you meant lmao. With one of my MWs in and the final spot still up for grabs I can't complain.
Yeah I thought I made it clear that I meant Lloyd OR Yuri, not both of course. But it's all good.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I don’t have any experience with Tales but it seems like a cool series; I bought Vesperia recently & plan to play it this year. I’ve been really hyped for Arise ever since the Xbox E3 event it was at. So I’d be cool with Lloyd/Yuri but not mind blown, atleast right now.

I’m mixed on Chun. I really like her as a character, she has a nice personality & she’s iconic enough to deserve a spot. I also think she’d be really fun & potentially one of my mains; I mained her in Marvel Infinite with Ultron (Team UlChun). Buuuuut getting three Street Fighter characters before Leon/Jill, Dante or Monster Hunter would be disappointing IMO. If we get another Capcom character it should be from something that’s not SF/MM.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I'd be ok. Got my three most wants:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:not to mention icing on the cake:ultminmin. Anyone else I currently want would be more icing.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Depends in who gets in. I've come to like Lloyd after pushing him as a likely candidate, I think he looks cool design-wise, and he's basically sword Terry, which is an insta-main for me. I'd be pretty happy if he got added.

Yuri and Chun-Li... Don't really scratch that itch. They'd be cool, I guess, but with so little spots left there's other characters I'd prefer. Yuri's sword/fist combination doesn't appeal to me the way double swords do; I prefer swordplay over brawling, and so double sword is cooler to me than sword and fist.

Chun-Li would definitely have a big impact, but her design and moveset just don't click with me in the way that makes me go, "I definitely want this," and I don't have much personal connection to Street Fighter either. SF2 focus aside, Street Fighter already has a good amount of content and I'd rather hold off on more Street Fighter stuff for the time being. On the Capcom side I'd prefer Dante, a Hunter, or Amaterasu, and on the 2D fighter side I'd rather have Sol.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I was thinkin' something for Smash might happen this month, but honestly? I'm now thinking they're gonna keep up the short reveal to release strategy and we ain't seeing 9 until early-to-mid next month.

Hope I'm wrong, though. :drshrug:
my current prediction is we get a general direct with a smash reveal in march tbh

followed by a sakurai presents of course

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I was thinkin' something for Smash might happen this month, but honestly? I'm now thinking they're gonna keep up the short reveal to release strategy and we ain't seeing 9 until early-to-mid next month.

Hope I'm wrong, though. :drshrug:
I expect they'll continue the short reveal to release strategy, they've done this since Byleth and haven't changed at all. And considering directs are probably not coming back I'm not optimistic about an early reveal.

When in doubt we can always rely on Amiibo theory. The next Amiibo release date is March 26, with a 2 week error that means we might see the next character between March 12 to April 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom