• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Attention!

NSMB Wii will NOT update your wii to 4.2!

I tried it myself. I bought a CD, played it when my wii was 4.0, it told me to make a system update. It was like dropping a 100-ton brick on my anticipation, but I wasn't going to let some silly update prevent me from playing my new game, so I made a backup of my wii using BootMii, and was prepared to use Brawl to reinstall the HBC (or use Gecko through brawl, either way works), and updated.

However, I didn't go to 4.2. I checked the Wii Settings and I was at 4.1! NSMB Wii will force you to update, that is true. But not by going through WiFi or internet! The Update is inside the CD itself. If you get a message to update your Wii, update it through the Disc Channel instead of going to system update. You will be able to play NSMBW with 4.1, and I know I am able to (currently at world 8-7 after using warp cannons lol). I think they got the message that 4.2 sucks **** after it bricked so many innocent Wiis, either that or NSMBW was released too soon after 4.2.

I'm still perfectly able to use music and texture hacks alongside with BBrawl, and also enjoy NSMBW at the same time.
Better question: did it try and update your boot2? But I suppose that's good news, I'll add it to the OP.

nintendo may as well just give up trying to kill off hackers. every time nintendo releases an update that blocks homebrew, twiizers finds a workaround. and preventing piracy, while a reasonable cause, is very lofty, and i would go as far to say that it's impossible.
What gets me is that Twiizers workarounds are easy for them, yet hard for Nintendo, which sort of puts Nintendo on the losing side. And I'm wondering why Nintendo can't really patch the pre-existing problems in new Wii's as opposed to trying to fiddle with everyone's.

Nintendo updates boot2 with a buggy installer? Doesn't matter, boot1 has a trucha bug! (which means BootMii really can never be deleted, just reinstalled over and over if you choose to update)

Nintendo updates their system menu to delete HBC? Change the ID from 'HAXX' to 'JODI'!

Nintendo updates their system menu to block Twilight Princess? Find another savegame exploit! (or make your own, like comex did...)

They even left a big hole open in their code in Brawl so that an exploit (Comex's Smashstack) is unpatchable unless you buy a new disc, if they patched it already that is. But this is how Balanced Brawl and sometimes Brawl+ runs so in a way I know they're trying to fight piracy but I think they're really going about it wrong :urg:

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
If they're going to release a new CD of brawl they better make it so that lucas and ness don't have GR bullcrap lol

And since my system menu is only 4.1 and I'm still perfectly able to play an ISO backup of NSMBW (just to test it out, and through gecko of course, anti-piracy checks in the game would give me a disc read error if I tried to play it w/o codes), they didn't change boot2. It's just garden variety 4.1.

Edit: This also means that games released before NSMBW (which would probably include 99% of the games out there since it was released just two weeks ago) would force an update that is COMPLETELY SAFE to do so which will retain all homebrew. After updating through NSMBW my HBC was left untouched.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
If they're going to release a new CD of brawl they better make it so that lucas and ness don't have GR bullcrap lol
Yeah, =( I had to quit lucas because of that... It really got annoying being grabbed to up tilt with snake, and many other annoying setups D; But i doupt they'll do that in a new disk, im pretty sure the creators arnt even aware of that problem. XD

That's an interesting fact to know about NSBW. Although ive already played through the game at my boyfriends house so theres no real need for me to buy it :3

DQP

Smash Ace
i haven't gotten NSMBW yet but i hear it's a lot of fun.

That's the wonderful thing about smashstack. since it uses an exploit in custom stages, it's impossible for nintendo to block through updates or disc patching. hooray!

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Wait, maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought that the Wii will always (no matter what version it is updating to) brick if you have the Homebrew Channel on it? I thought that's why it says "If your Wii has any unauthorized technical modifications, it may render the system unusable" or something along those lines.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
All the Homebrew Channel is...is a channel basically, there's not much here to modify. Not unless you mess with the IOS/SysMenu stuff or downgrading. The people from Hackmii were disappointed that they decided to blame the "Wii System Update brick" on them instead of their own fault (boot2 writer), moreso that they had to include that as well =/

DQP

Smash Ace
incorrect, brawlshifter. upgrading to 4.2 (don't do it) will only remove homebrew channel, DVDx, cIOS, and all other bells and whistles that come with hacking. with much patience and time, i've upgraded to 4.2 and downgraded back to 3.2. If you want to downgrade, i use DOP-IOS, but there's probably better methods out there.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
incorrect, brawlshifter. upgrading to 4.2 (don't do it) will only remove homebrew channel, DVDx, cIOS, and all other bells and whistles that come with hacking. with much patience and time, i've upgraded to 4.2 and downgraded back to 3.2. If you want to downgrade, i use DOP-IOS, but there's probably better methods out there.
I already did it a week or so ago. I was just curious because I heard updating with the Homebrew Channel on your system will brick your Wii. I heard this before 4.2 ever came out. Obviously, its wrong.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm not sure what use being on 3.2 is if you can get the same functionalities on a 4.1 Wii now.

DQP

Smash Ace
3.2 is easier to hack. look it up. using anything higher that 3.3 limits my options for hacking. don't downgrade if you got your wii this year, though. it won't have any data for any menu under 4.0. i got mine on launch day, so i have much more possibilities

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Like what? Starfall is replaced with Preloader and StartPatch, CCORP works on 4.x, etc. Everything that 3.2 had, 4.x now has...

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
LOL, I remember this ridiculous update giving me crap. I also use Bootmii to start up my Wii, It was kind of funny that day all the homebrew users on youtube were starting to protest XD But funny enough that very same day someone made a homebrew compatible with 4.2 which im using, Overall im glad the homebrew community cares enough :D
Hey, by that do you mean your wii has 4.2 on it and you have homebrew? My wii had 4.2 before i started the modding stuff. Before i found out of B+ i didnt care. I'm figuring the reason none of the character edits for B+ work is because of that patch.
I have homebrew, i run Gecko 1.9.3, and i used BOTH manual setup and the prepackage you just copy to your SD card to run B+ but ONLY thing i get are blanket changes i.e. autoledge grab, the lag, the char selection screen, and hitstun is definately there.

But none of the characters are faster, and half the effects that would be pretty noticable dont exist. Case in point, Lucario not going into a helpless fall after his UpB or Wario's coingrab. I dont have either of those. Skins dont work for me either.

What did you do to get this crap to work?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
hmm, i'm at 4.2 now. i didn't notice until i wanted to put ex brawl on it and all that stuff.

nothing installed yet, was gonna do it today. homebrew and all that.
should i go ahead?

i see some workarounds, just wanting to know if it's safe ~_~_~_~

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
hmm, i'm at 4.2 now. i didn't notice until i wanted to put ex brawl on it and all that stuff.

nothing installed yet, was gonna do it today. homebrew and all that.
should i go ahead?

i see some workarounds, just wanting to know if it's safe ~_~_~_~
It's safe. I lost the homebrew channel, but reuploaded it and it works fine. Just make sure you use gecko 1.9.1 and file patch 3.5.1 if you care about textures/music.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm looking to buy SSB off the Shop Channel.

Will the "Safer Update" provided let the Shop Channel to function without having to upgrade, and keep the HBC?

Just making sure,

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried the update, and it reported "error retrieving http." I have 4.0U. What should I do?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Means it can't find your WiFi connection or your network has no internet.

Search in this thread, the question's been asked 5 times ;) search for wiiscu since I'm not posting from a computer I can't give you a link.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Do you use a wired or wireless connection by any chance?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Yeah, there hasn't been any success with homebrew interacting with wired or WiFi USB connections, you'll have to do it over a router.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Just a question,

I heard that using the NSMBW update doesn't effect the homebrew channel and updates to 4.1. I wanted to update my shop channel so i could download Pokemon rumble but does the update even upgrade the shop channel? =S I remember someone else gave me a link to a program which updates the shop channel, but has a chance of bricking. So i decided i didn't want to risk it and try another option x_x

Any options i can take aside from loosing my homebrew? D:

Oh and sorry if i bumped this thread =/. I didn't know where else to ask and didn't want to make a brand new thread about it XD. This seemed seemed like the best option for my current problem.

Edit: looked into the thread, dont think anyone has the question i asked. naw well

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Either way, everything you do related to homebrew could brick your Wii :p

Google WiiSCU and use that to update the shop channel, thats the primary way of updating

Xeial

Smash Cadet
Attention!

NSMB Wii will NOT update your wii to 4.2!

I tried it myself. I bought a CD, played it when my wii was 4.0, it told me to make a system update. It was like dropping a 100-ton brick on my anticipation, but I wasn't going to let some silly update prevent me from playing my new game, so I made a backup of my wii using BootMii, and was prepared to use Brawl to reinstall the HBC (or use Gecko through brawl, either way works), and updated.

However, I didn't go to 4.2. I checked the Wii Settings and I was at 4.1! NSMB Wii will force you to update, that is true. But not by going through WiFi or internet! The Update is inside the CD itself. If you get a message to update your Wii, update it through the Disc Channel instead of going to system update. You will be able to play NSMBW with 4.1, and I know I am able to (currently at world 8-7 after using warp cannons lol). I think they got the message that 4.2 sucks **** after it bricked so many innocent Wiis, either that or NSMBW was released too soon after 4.2.

I'm still perfectly able to use music and texture hacks alongside with BBrawl, and also enjoy NSMBW at the same time.
Does anyone know if this same method can be used to play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom without having to nuke the HBC?

Top Bottom