• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I think the update gimped my Wii's graphic processor. There a flickering black lines in small areas in Legend of Spyro.

Nintendo needs to patch that. Not sure how they'll fix the pirating problem, but this isn't helping.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I have no idea what IOS Legend of Spyro runs off of, but it should be a re-install of it.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
Theres no real difference if you know what your doing between the two. I use 4.2, theres no real difference. Get the updated IOS's (except System menu stuff. get the last one before a stub for these) for everything.
could you post which numbers I should get? I don't wanna risk getting my wii bricked cuase of some IOS that I shouldn't have installed...or could you PM them to me?

Cornballer

Smash Apprentice
The boot2 update was removed from Nintendos servers according to reputable sources, its been off for a while so a safe updater with a JODI Homebrew channel really isn't need if you have a maxed out IOS250.

Booyah. Street light, creepers. Don't stop believing.

DQP

Smash Ace
as to abide by forum rules, i can't give you a link, but google wii shop updater, i think you'll find what you need.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Thanks dude/dudette. Do i need a CIOS/MIOS/IOS of any sort for 4.1? EDIT: Why cant i find it? >_< PM please! Or is that also bad?

DQP

Smash Ace
rawksd for the win. don't need cIOS or any of that unless you get really deep into some of these hacks. seeing as we mostly use homebrew for Brawl+/Balanced Brawl/Custom RB2 songs, you don't need it.

Cornballer

Smash Apprentice
It should be fine if you just install the channel. v18 is out but just updating a channel shouldn't do much unless it can find fakesigned channels.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
SifJar updated WiiSCU to 0.23, I recommend people use this homebrew application if they want to update the Wii Shop Channel without going to 4.2.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Does the shop channel update just released today ALSO remove the HBC? it had the same "will remove any unauthorized software blah blah" warning on it....

Meccs

@Meccs_
This is kinda off topic, but...:
I have Wii 3.4U, and when NSMBW comes out and forces you to upgrade to 4.2 or not play, can you just run it through Gecko OS?
I use Gecko OS to run Mario Power Tennis Wii, but my friend brought over Wii Sports Resort, and that game wouldn't work.

Smw66466

Smash Cadet
My Wii is a 3.2u. I haven't had any problems with it other than GH5, which I found a work around for. Why would I need to update to 4.2u?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
This is kinda off topic, but...:
I have Wii 3.4U, and when NSMBW comes out and forces you to upgrade to 4.2 or not play, can you just run it through Gecko OS?
I use Gecko OS to run Mario Power Tennis Wii, but my friend brought over Wii Sports Resort, and that game wouldn't work.
You might have to use DOP-IOS to get the latest IOS for Wii Sports Resort (again, I forgot which) and Wii Sports Resort will work then.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Wait, what about newer games like Metroid: Other M? Don't they force updates to play the game? I have version 3.4, but I need to know if I should delete homebrew or w/e before then. After all, I love Metroid too much to risk bricking before I play it.

roden

Smash Rookie
Hi i have been reading this thread and hope one of you knowing chaps could help.

My wii was recently at 4.1e, i used the safe updater to go to 4.2, before i knew about all this hassle.

For some reson now, when i install i wad using wad manager, it runs fine from the wii memory, but if i then copy that wad to the sd card, a vc game lets say, it then says "unable to run"

But it works fine from the wii mem, is there an ios i should patch that has been left out?

All my usb loaders ans all other homebrew stuff seems fine?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Run Dop-IOS and install IOS70 with the Trucha Bug in it, then it will work.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I don't have New Super Mario Bros Wii yet and already have bootmii and Startpatch to block updates from discs, but I was wondering.

What System Menu Version does NSMB Wii actually contain?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
If I have 4.1U on my Wii, and I want to update only the Wii Shop Channel, what do I download from WiiSCU specifically so that I don't brick my Wii?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So this explains why my Wii froze up multiple times, and getting the 32007 Error Code. when I was trying to update so I can access the Shop.

I really don't want to install anything to bypass this, though. Anything illegal, anyway. So am I basically ****ed until Nintendo comes out with the new update, whenever that is?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Downloaded WiiSCU v. 0.23 from WiiBrew, but it's not providing me any way to download from the 7-Zip files. I'm assuming that I have to download onto an SD Card and then put the Card in the Wii to make this work (which I may be wrong on, easily). So I'm stuck from here.

I'm not computer-savvy in the least. I'd be able to comprehend this if there was a video going through the step-by-step process on how to do this. But it's likely something right in front of my eyes that I'm simply not seeing.

Top Bottom