• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Thanks so much for giving warning, I woke up this morning for school at five and saw my wii glow blue, I'm like W/E. Then I get on here and immediately read this and run to my wii and unplug it. It worked so I'm still on 4.1 thank god... anyways, thanks for the notice

Gea

Smash Master
Nintendo's new hardcore fanbase are the guys who lovingly accept all of their games and business decisions as good for the consumer. Like when twilight princess was delayed for the gamecube just so it could be released on the wii first. Nintendo has other ppl buying their games now. We aren't really needed.
Since when did Nintendo actively do things for their "loyal fanbase" and not what they thought was best? They are a business, and while that can be hard to remember as they are the "Disney" of the videogame world, in the end business comes before pleasure.

Also... I'd like to point out that the hardcore fanbase of anything will overlook shortcomings. Hence being biased towards whatever they love.

How is Zelda even relevant when citing a change in fanbase? It was a move to try and sell Wiis because the success of the system was unknown and shaky at best. The system was not a "fad" when it initially came out, but quickly became so. I own the Gamecube version of the game and at the time resented the delay, but understand why it was done.

While I'm not exactly thrilled with how this update is going, I fail to see how this is not in Nintendo's best interest when it comes to dampening piracy. What do they care about the modding community? If they had an interest they would make it a lucrative one for themselves by offering tools to mod through one of their downloadable services. Nothing was ever official about this, so why feel betrayed?

Also, earlier some people were complaining about the Wii not being able to function like a DVD player. Doesn't that wear the laser out much quicker? Just asking.

RetroS

Smash Rookie
I'm no lawyer, but thinking like one...
If homebrew is indeed legal, this update may remove homebrew, but I think if it bricks your wii, Nintendo could be held responsible for some sort of malicious intent or perhaps destruction of property... I could be wrong about that. I don't think Nintendo would pull a jerk move like that anyway even if they couldn't be sued (They're trying to stop piracy, not punish it--I think), so I doubt that brickage is something to worry about.
EDIT: I thought of this based on EA Games getting sued--but now that I think about it, that was a PC game, and people have much more rights when it comes to computers. So instead of might be wrong, let's say there's a good chance that I'm wrong.

Edit again: My point was that people shouldn't worry about their wii getting bricked. But first of all, apparently Nintendo has the right to brick. And second of all, it is apparently something to worry about. So nevermind.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You make a good point about them overlooking shortcomings. I did it in the past.

I still enjoyed my Gamecube despite buying a PS2 later for MGS, DQVIII, FF, KH, and other third party games.

Enough is enough though, Nintendo.

I just want Nintendo to at least put both crowds on balanced terms, which they were during the N64 era and everything before. Even the GC had the crowds on more balance terms than the Wii does now.

By that I mean, just as much ads and PR for casual games(I.E. Wii sports Resort) for traditional or core gamers. I also want them to design the traditional gamers with the core and/or competitive gamer inmind, not compromise the quality of the game or balance like in Mario Kart Wii.

The main issue with this update is that Nintendo has already lost the battle because of the decision that Pirates can do by simply turning off updates and WiiConnect24. Forcing game updates won't do any good.
They need to stop wasting time doing this as this update won't do any good.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
I want to update just to update (Since I prefer legality), but I really want to be able to run gecko OS (Since that's all I use homebrew channel for anymore anyways, besides the ripping of isos to put on my computer, but I can sacrifice those). Is there anyway I can do this?

And so I know, the update only removes homebrew channel and prevents re-install of it, right? Nothing else that would matter to me?

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
I backed up my NAND.
Then my SD card reader corrupted.
>___>
It was working PERFECTLY, then I did a NAND backup and...blehh.

Luckily I had a backup of my SD on a flash drive.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if Ninty would ever get around to actually doing this (Now it may be a half-***** attempt but this is still going to gimp Homebrew use for some people). I'll spread the message around to my buddies, since thankfully I'm still running 3.3 and know not to update for any real reason.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I wasn't clear in that post. My apologies. It's more about the way they've been releasing games as of late.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I dont think it matters to those who stick to Smash hacks as they cant patch Brawl and we can still run homebrew apps through Smash. It sucks, but its not that big of a deal.

Gea

Smash Master
I wasn't clear in that post. My apologies. It's more about the way they've been releasing games as of late.
I'm curious how that has changed much. The one thing I can agree that Nintendo sucks **** at is third party relations. They blow chunks at that, and it makes their game libraries suffer because of it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
One question, I went to my wii settings or whatever and it said 4.1U, it is ok to have the U right?

DQP

Smash Ace
what about the homebrew community does nintendo hate? sure there are some illegal apps available (installing virtual console games without actually buying them) but the main purpose is to provide homebrew software to the people.

but the main reason i'm angry is not because they released the update (though that is a big part of it), but because i am looking to buy new super mario bros wii and the awesome game that will be metroid other m. however, these games will likely make me update my wii, therefore, unless team twiizers or someone of that ilk releases a workaround, i'm stuck choosing between nsmb wii/other m and the homebrew channel. i don't want to make that choice. so please, soft-modders, if you're reading this, get a workaround released. you don't have to do it super soon, i don't want to rush you, but please get it done so i don't have to choose between metroid and homebrew.

EDIT: just remembered to turn wiiconnect24 off. phew, that might have been close.

2nd EDIT: just remembered i'll probably be able to use gecko os for other m and mario bros. XP

Gea

Smash Master
what about the homebrew community does nintendo hate? sure there are some illegal apps available (installing virtual console games without actually buying them) but the main purpose is to provide homebrew software to the people.
Let's be honest here. How many people use the Homebrew channel for either installing channels or using emulators that they would otherwise be forced to buy from the Wii Shop Channel or not use?

That alone is enough reason. I don't think Nintendo "hates" Homebrew so much as does not care about separating it from piracy or other illegal things it can be used for.

Technically you can use flashcarts for homebrew, but most people just use them to pirate games on them. When Nintendo updates firmware on their handhelds, a few people who use these devices for legitimate purposes might be upset, but on the whole you have to realize that if Nintendo was not intending to offer Homebrew support anyways, stopping softmods or flashcart use stops the problem they are concerned about.

The only reason many of us even got into Homebrew was for Brawl mods which now can be done using other means anyways. All the extra stuff was like "oh hey, I can do that too?"

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Well, it only removes homebrew channel... are there any other 'hacking' channels that work? I found a 'Gecko OS' channel on google, not sure if it'd work.

EDIT: Downloaded that wad, installed a gecko channel...

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Thanks for the update Bionic, definitely a close call. Twiizers will definetly find another hole to get around this incident.. but for now we wait.

Darkurai

Smash Master
ok listen

Is there a way around this? Because I just got into WiiWare. I bought a bunch of Wii Points, and I'm not a fan of pirating games. I only keep Homebrew around for texture hacking now.

Is there a way around this? Texture hacking is really all I care about. I otherwise never use homebrew.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
@Dakurai

WiiSCU or or use the Shop 4.2 installer by MarcMax.

I don't think textures and music work on 4.2.

When it comes to the Wii, Nintendo is fighting a battle they already lost. It's like trying to fight in the results screen of Brawl. It doesn't make a difference because the match is over. They should just move on to something else.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I recall reading that the SD loader code doesn't work if you update through Nintendo.
It was on a Stack Smash interview.

Oop. My mistake.

Updating only the shop channel is safe.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
I recall reading that the SD loader code doesn't work if you update through Nintendo.
It was on a Stack Smash interview.

Updating only the shop channel is safe.
I've always updated through Nintendo and I've been fine. But I'm avoiding doing it for this update for now. I know I'll update eventually, but I want to make sure I'll be alright.

Gea

Smash Master
@ Eternal Yoshi.

I thought they could do the in-game code loader so the HBC isn't needed for hacks anymore?

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Do not go through Nintendo for this one. Fundamental difference, boot2 is part of the update.
Is there a problem if I've never installed bootmii and I have boot2? (I got my wii around launch date)
The only thing I'm worried about is being able to use brawl hacks.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
It makes it so if there is a bad code that corrupts your save file, you can restore it because of stupid copy protections that stop you from backing up your save file on the SD card. Also, it lets you protect so much of your Wii.

This also currently closes the door on the ability to install it.

Top Bottom