• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah the new WCSL or whatever's idea of commentary is just trash talk... I don't know why they even do it, they should just keep the original game audio... much more useful.

Roman.

Smash Champion
i love it with commentary

just makes smash that much more fun

tri-state always trashtalk against maine-hampshire island and it's the funniest **** ever

we gotta start recording it

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aight, I just got back in from TO4.

First and foremost, im sorry. I didnt record a **** match. I know some of my teams pools got recorded. You'll get to see me play like straight ***, wiff a potential Kobe (better known as the Iverson, for Iversamich), and fight in one of the most hilarious matches ever.

I think some of my singles pools might have been recorded, Im not sure.

Once I got there, I had 2 tapes and a vcr, and i was like ".... meh. I want to just play, and then i see the 2D fighter tv, so I wanna prac up on that for IC3" So. Im sorry, I'm a bad person.

__

I did learn quite a few things, I'll share some stuff 2morrow, i'm just making a quick post now before I go to bed.

When the vids drop, if you guys are looking for some good stuff to learn off of, watch greenmario. I dont know how many times I can say it, we can learn from marios. And oh-dear-god was he gettin' it on some people.

__

[ego]

And, probably the only time you will hear me put myself on a pedastal and talk smack for myself, but if you didnt hear my commentary, you missed it.

Im sorry, I think I won the ****ing internet with my Losers Finals commentary.

"This guy is the John Madden of smash commentary."

Went in that ***** radio style, no video for you? No problem for me.

Done.

[/ego]

**edit**
Actually, I may have tied or gotten place behind Marty, who has a spot in smash history. This man was the first person ever to commentate HIS OWN MATCH AS HE PLAYED IT. (my idea, i still want credit).

It

Was

Epic.
___

And that's it for now.

Like I said, i'll post some more stuff 2morrow. It might not be for a while, jx31's supposed to be coming over, so we're gunna smash for a while, then im probably gunna get lost in some GGAC stuff, cause I gotta learn how to do combos on ****ers who cant be dolphin looped. >.>

Desh

Smash Ace
dogy lol your commentary was sooo ****ing insane lol.
the matches without video were still win
best play by play commentary ever lol XD

i mean,
hmw's matches w/ commentary are good and fun

but its not even commentary, its just extra hype XD

dogy's was hype AND commentary
\
"i just blinked and PING whered that face go!?"

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Oh man, real talk.

Waffles, we respect west coast commentary down here. We respect east coast for starting it up again, and you guys making it fun. Turns out our commentary didnt get recorded :( cause we would have broke records.

I know we had like, 3 cameras, so you'll get to hear some of it, especially GAPeach's history making self commentary. XD

___

But real talk, Doc news.

Lets see.

Going off of a joke we have going in another thread, talking about "Doc is a hybrid of ganon, sheik, mario and ICs" I have 2 more to add to that list. Falco and Peach. He's like falco in how you can use pills to limit options or lock people in shield as you approach (of course he's nowhere near as strong at this as falco), and he's like peach in that alot of times you look to clear somebody out of your space then go for pills (like peach's turnip game). Second one's kinda farfetched, but hey, that's some jokes.

Doc vs Capfal.
All of you people who swear up and down FH D.air is the answer; I called it, it's not. It can handle falcons who space badly, that's it. Any falcon who spaces well will rarely jump far enough in to get caught by a FH d.air, and if a smart falcon sees you start jumping up for FH d.airs, he's just going to come with FH nair. I did get Iori to play Doc vs C's capfal to see what he did (little story goes behind why this happened), but from what I saw, the best way we have to deal with nair is to flat out avoid it. Stop trying to beat it and just avoid it.

Doc vs Ganon.
Dont jump into the ****. XD
I wound up playing Iori, RockCrock, and Chaddd in pools, then Kage in brackets (all 10 minutes of my bracket time. XD). I cant specifically remember how Iori took his game off of me, but every game I dropped to these 4 (and I dropped atleast 1 or 2) all came from the same thing; they got kinda sick of me throwing pills, so they would hop on a platform, then drop down (or run off) and aerial in response to me coming in. If a ganon's ever done that to me before, it had to of been when I was stupid so I didnt understand what was happening. (It's possible, chaddd's the only ganon I WOULD normally see and i havent seen him in forever). Im actually going to try messing around with this idea some, cause I thought it looked pretty kool, and I think Doc could do some **** offa this, and besides, I need to do SOMETHING to play on platform stages.

Doc vs Jiggs
I played Hungrybox and Seibrik, box in friendlies, seibrik in pools. I think there's no mystery behind what jiggs needs to do to beat doc. I thinK I can safely say that trying to fight jiggs inside is not just "giving them a chance" it's "jumping into the ****". It's not like you cant fight against a jiggs up close, but really, just stay back and throw pills. I tried to fight box up close just to see what would happen, and my faces kept disappearing. XD

Doc vs Falco
Oh dear god my first match in brackets was Lambchops.
YOU WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, GET A FALCO TO STOP SHOOTING LASERS.Not if he's smart. Dear god. I took a game off by letting chops do his patented lambchops SDs, but dear god even that game was ********. What's more important than avoiding lasers is staying out of d.air range, that's where the ****ing pain comes in. If you want a falco to stop shooting lasers, guess where you have to go? D.air range. Guah.

Doc vs Sheik
Yeah, CC is good. That is all.

Doc vs Samus
When the vids go up, im going to put the link up to Greenmario vs IHaveSpaceballs. I mean, we cant combo samus like the marios can, but yeah, you can learn stuff.

Doc vs Peach
Played Mike G for a while in friendlies (and in teams). Mike G plays an odd *** peach, so I know I cant say everything as a blanket statement (I mean, seriously, I dunno how many times I got hit by peach bomber. XD). One thing to realize is that jump because Peach has a turnip in her hands doesnt mean she has to throw it before she can do anything else. If you play peach, you know this because of FC aerials, but sometimes, it still gets lost in translation cause, well, you're not playing peach. Next, just ****ing be careful. Peach has a mean defense, and for the love of your life you have to mixup how you react to a FC'd aerial. They're all safe, so you keep trying to jump out, you're going to have to hope they dont FH n.air/b.air. You want to stay in shield, you better hope you dont get jabbed/grabbed/d.smash-on-your-shield/other-peach-player-specific-bull**** (i.e. Mike G's D.Tilt of Justice.), if you want to move out, better hope she doesnt just run with you. We can do the same thing too, just different stuff (I gotta work on this myself, I've come to find out my playstyle is kinda campy, but mostly counterbased)

Doc vs Mewtwo
Yeah, I got a few things to say here, but i'll save it unless you really want to know. All im going to say is M2's hitbox is dumb. Real dumb. I dont know how some of those Kobes hit.
___

In general, I felt like I showed up there with a plan, then found out that "Na, Im still about the same as I always was". Then I sat there and literally watched darkrain play for like 5 minutes and got so much smarter. It was kinda weird. *shrugs*

My edgeguarding blows. Horribly. Gunna have to work on stopping people going low.

For everybody who's saying "Doc cant combo people like reaper did in that highlight real", *laughs hysterically*, do you even try it? Cause like I said, it might not happen to THAT extent, but it happens. I juggled some people across FD. I didnt have the balls to jump off and finish, but damage is good enough for me.

DONT AIRBALL IVERSONS (kobes). NOTHING IS MORE DEPRESSING THAN AIRBALLING THE GAMEWINNING KOBE.

I wanna learn to play on platforms like ganons. That **** looks fun.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that's it.

*edit*
Play-by-play! That's the phrase I was looking for. Thanks desh!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
It's apparently one of the 2 things I do right in smash.

Type big walls of text, and talk pretty well behind a microphone. Cause I sure as hell dont play right. XD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
what? I replied to some of them. :p

But yeah, I was kinda gettin frustrated with the chat looking down seeing people go on and on about mindless bs, so I kinda just stayed focus on what was happening live.

Then people kept coming up asking me questions like I was running the tourney or something, so i just started to lose my **** mind. XD

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Awesome man glad to see someone representing doc. I might try watching some Green Mario if you say its good for us. :3

DRD

Smash Lord
Green Mario did exceptionally well. I think anyone could learn by watching im, but especially Doc players

Haha in the chatroom, I was like "Dogy get some doc on this screen", and you were like "What you want me to play? Hold on-- ah some ****er took my seat"

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
dogy i was serious when i told you i wanted to bear your children :D

also the secret to doc falcon is to throw curry powder in their eyes and then switch to sheik. they'll never see it coming!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So Dogy how about you tell the other docs about you vs Darkrain XD
because i really didnt play him.

It was more of a "I'm holding the controller, being your guest sandbag" kinda thing.

I mean, i think i took a stock or 2 legitly? And then he like, sd'd a bunch? And then he turned me into a ****ing combo video.

But hey, atleast I wasnt "that guy", i was just more of a statistic at that point.

XD

__

yeah i made it out of pools. then got ***** by lambchops and kage in brackets.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
God I was playing her today mostly, you think you might be able to take her on but I'm just GAH. Sad thing is that I realized that I don't DI at all. (always was too late) I just hope I get that down, hopefully I'll do a bit better. ^_^ Also, I have trouble deciding what to do when she is FCing and kicking me (I think its her down air). XD That gets me, should I try to backair her or something? I'm pretty good with her vegetables, I just cape them. (most of the time)

Downthrow > uair > uair is good? for peach?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I left you comments! You did great man, love the supah nintendo punch. :3

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Wow, look at you links. Not even unlocking all the stages. What kinda bulljive is this? XD

*Vid 1*
-:D You cant jab a fox out of phantasm with doc. Sorry.
-One thing you dont want to do is DJ so much. Doc's recovery blows, so if you get hit out of your DJ, you're everything short of dead.
-I Like the way you move
-NEED THEM KOBES. Upthrow -> f.air 'round 90-110% (it actually goes higher, needs DJ beyond that). D.throw f.smash works, and you're actually smart for trying it, but you really want to save that for dealing with platform interference. (D.throw -> d.smash works too, since you can wavedash into it)
-You got a tornado! Do your stubby link fingers not know how to mash buttons like a maniac? :D
-Ah, there you go. You know to go for the throw - f.air, just dunno the %s. That's fine. Good intentions.
-uthrow - f.smash 'in the 70-90% range. That's legit. Good move.
-Wow. That was a nice edgeguard. Good follow. And..... **** you got ***** for bringing him back! That was a nice edgeguard though.
-Chain Mcgriddles. Tasty. Nice jab reset there.
-OH NOW YOU WANNA TORNADO. XD

*Vid 2*
-When somebody's the wall like that, sometimes it's better to come up with a n.air or cape. Not saying d.air is a bad idea, it's actually good.
-1:15 - ...*Takes a few notes himself Nice.
-Oooh snap, tried to go with the downthrow chaingrab. That's some dirty stuff. XD
-*watches 2 more missed d.throw f.smashes* Ok now I just wonder, do you know doc's b.throw is good?
-Looking to f.tilt the phantasm. Good.
-UPSMASH TO F.AIR. LASANGA ON THE GRILL! Good!

*Vid 3- DA MARIO*
-take your steps to get your f.smash to hit after u.throw. You got time.
-WHAT. D.TILT?! WHY?!!?!? Mario's d.tilt is worse than docs!
-u.throw f.smash at 80%? Not legit. :|
-Taunt cancelled.
-Oh, nice lil' combo. Like that jab after the f.air.
-F.smash vs F.smash? Good call
-yeah see! The marios' recovery isnt so hot! None of that crazy *** FF n.air bull**** to recovery!
-and then the end of it was good.

You actually got a pretty good doc and mario. You're movement is real good (im under the assumption you can actually use platforms unlike me :( ) Hell, I even learned a few things. Good stuff.

_____

Against a peach, you dont want to stand next to her unless you have her blocking or something. All of her **** comes when you're next to her. That's blatently obvious, but I say that because what gets lost in translation is the fact that she is a character you can run from. You can run from her and throw pills at her and basically get away free everytime.

If she pulls a turnip, that takes out her ground game until she throws it, but she can still do FC aerials with a turnip in her hand. Dont get fooled into thinking she cant do ANYTHING with a turnip in her hand. If you go into shield, she can toss it pretty much anywhere no penalty. She can also do a stuff to fake you out like start zoning a ****ton of FC aerials to throw off your timing or to bait a cape.

Speaking of baiting a cape, cape is not "the answer" for turnips. If peach sees you constantly caping her turnips, she might get smart and throw the turnip at one level and approach from another (i.e. FH throw a turnip, land then run in). You cape that one, you're liable to get punished. You have to check and make sure she's coming in behind the turnip.

If and when you go to approach a peach, dont telegraph a f.air. Unless you've got the gap closed with a pill or you've got her scared to jump, she can beat it with a n.air every time. Dont jump at her back with a f.air, or you'll run into an ***. If she's just kinda standing there, dont land next to her with anything OTHER THAN F.AIR or she'll just CC. Most peach players would CCCounter their mom for coming in with wack *** weak moves, you're no exception. Ground approaching is a-ok, but be mindful where she's going to be when you get there. She can keep you out with f.airs pretty well if you're not ready to get her out of the air.

Pill approaching is great. Although she can swat your pills away just like everybody else, moving out isnt as much of an option. So if you start throwing pills at her, you're working towards pinning her in place. One dirty peach trick to watch out for, though, is Toad. She can pull toad on pills. There's no real sign for it, it's just something to keep in the back of your head.

One thing to watch for with peach is her roll. Her roll is actually good. One because it's fast, two because her wavedash isnt so great. A good peach obviously isnt going to be rolling all day long, but dont be too surprised when you see one.

If peach is on a platform, abort the mission. Just abort the ****ing mission. You can try to be a hero and poke at her with an u.air, but if you like your % staying at a nice low number, abort the mission and live to fight another day.

d.throw f.air is a-go-go. 'round 90%-100ish. DONT BE LATE OR YOU'LL AIRBALL. XD

Sumo to answer your question, i guess throw u.air uair works, i dont know i dont really try it. You do want to keep peach up in the air for the most part, but her d.air is ok for coming back to the ground, so you have to watch for it.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Dogy: MY COUSINS COUSINS ****ED UP THE FILE LIKE THE WEEK BEFORE AND I COULDNT GET MY MEM OR MELEE DISC SINCE ITS SOMEWHERE IN MY MELEE COMMUNITY XD ANYWAYS .. JOHNS XD

TIME TO READ YOUT POST =D

EDIT: TY DOGY =D

it says.

"This video is not available in your country."

WOW THATS GAY XD

imma try fixing it.

Edit: so i failed fixing it.

anywyas

thanks a lot dogy =DD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
not available in your country? LOL!

It's a link to "The Way You Move" by Outkast. So if you've never heard that song, go check it out (it's actually pretty good). If you have, well, that was my pun. >.>

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Dogy, the way you actually link times is pretty freaking sweet.

So... I was playing Peach against a Doc and I thought I was pretty cool because I had kinda sorta maybe learned to float cancel, and I got my float game kinda sorta maybe completely shut down by pills. Is this just my Peach sucking or is this a viable tactic for Docs in general?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Dogy, the way you actually link times is pretty freaking sweet.

So... I was playing Peach against a Doc and I thought I was pretty cool because I had kinda sorta maybe learned to float cancel, and I got my float game kinda sorta maybe completely shut down by pills. Is this just my Peach sucking or is this a viable tactic for Docs in general?
Your Peach sucks.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i wont go as far as to say "Your peach sucks", you're just letting him get away with something he shouldnt be.

Pills dont lock peach down, they just slow her down.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Wow, look at you links. Not even unlocking all the stages. What kinda bulljive is this? XD

*Vid 1*
-:D You cant jab a fox out of phantasm with doc. Sorry.
-One thing you dont want to do is DJ so much. Doc's recovery blows, so if you get hit out of your DJ, you're everything short of dead.
-I Like the way you move
-NEED THEM KOBES. Upthrow -> f.air 'round 90-110% (it actually goes higher, needs DJ beyond that). D.throw f.smash works, and you're actually smart for trying it, but you really want to save that for dealing with platform interference. (D.throw -> d.smash works too, since you can wavedash into it)
-You got a tornado! Do your stubby link fingers not know how to mash buttons like a maniac? :D
-Ah, there you go. You know to go for the throw - f.air, just dunno the %s. That's fine. Good intentions.
-uthrow - f.smash 'in the 70-90% range. That's legit. Good move.
-Wow. That was a nice edgeguard. Good follow. And..... **** you got ***** for bringing him back! That was a nice edgeguard though.
-Chain Mcgriddles. Tasty. Nice jab reset there.
-OH NOW YOU WANNA TORNADO. XD

*Vid 2*
-When somebody's the wall like that, sometimes it's better to come up with a n.air or cape. Not saying d.air is a bad idea, it's actually good.
-1:15 - ...*Takes a few notes himself Nice.
-Oooh snap, tried to go with the downthrow chaingrab. That's some dirty stuff. XD
-*watches 2 more missed d.throw f.smashes* Ok now I just wonder, do you know doc's b.throw is good?
-Looking to f.tilt the phantasm. Good.
-UPSMASH TO F.AIR. LASANGA ON THE GRILL! Good!

*Vid 3- DA MARIO*
-take your steps to get your f.smash to hit after u.throw. You got time.
-WHAT. D.TILT?! WHY?!!?!? Mario's d.tilt is worse than docs!
-u.throw f.smash at 80%? Not legit. :|
-Taunt cancelled.
-Oh, nice lil' combo. Like that jab after the f.air.
-F.smash vs F.smash? Good call
-yeah see! The marios' recovery isnt so hot! None of that crazy *** FF n.air bull**** to recovery!
-and then the end of it was good.

You actually got a pretty good doc and mario. You're movement is real good (im under the assumption you can actually use platforms unlike me :( ) Hell, I even learned a few things. Good stuff.

_____

Against a peach, you dont want to stand next to her unless you have her blocking or something. All of her **** comes when you're next to her. That's blatently obvious, but I say that because what gets lost in translation is the fact that she is a character you can run from. You can run from her and throw pills at her and basically get away free everytime.

If she pulls a turnip, that takes out her ground game until she throws it, but she can still do FC aerials with a turnip in her hand. Dont get fooled into thinking she cant do ANYTHING with a turnip in her hand. If you go into shield, she can toss it pretty much anywhere no penalty. She can also do a stuff to fake you out like start zoning a ****ton of FC aerials to throw off your timing or to bait a cape.

Speaking of baiting a cape, cape is not "the answer" for turnips. If peach sees you constantly caping her turnips, she might get smart and throw the turnip at one level and approach from another (i.e. FH throw a turnip, land then run in). You cape that one, you're liable to get punished. You have to check and make sure she's coming in behind the turnip.

If and when you go to approach a peach, dont telegraph a f.air. Unless you've got the gap closed with a pill or you've got her scared to jump, she can beat it with a n.air every time. Dont jump at her back with a f.air, or you'll run into an ***. If she's just kinda standing there, dont land next to her with anything OTHER THAN F.AIR or she'll just CC. Most peach players would CCCounter their mom for coming in with wack *** weak moves, you're no exception. Ground approaching is a-ok, but be mindful where she's going to be when you get there. She can keep you out with f.airs pretty well if you're not ready to get her out of the air.

Pill approaching is great. Although she can swat your pills away just like everybody else, moving out isnt as much of an option. So if you start throwing pills at her, you're working towards pinning her in place. One dirty peach trick to watch out for, though, is Toad. She can pull toad on pills. There's no real sign for it, it's just something to keep in the back of your head.

One thing to watch for with peach is her roll. Her roll is actually good. One because it's fast, two because her wavedash isnt so great. A good peach obviously isnt going to be rolling all day long, but dont be too surprised when you see one.

If peach is on a platform, abort the mission. Just abort the ****ing mission. You can try to be a hero and poke at her with an u.air, but if you like your % staying at a nice low number, abort the mission and live to fight another day.

d.throw f.air is a-go-go. 'round 90%-100ish. DONT BE LATE OR YOU'LL AIRBALL. XD

Sumo to answer your question, i guess throw u.air uair works, i dont know i dont really try it. You do want to keep peach up in the air for the most part, but her d.air is ok for coming back to the ground, so you have to watch for it.

Thanks a ton, Dogy. :] I'll try to apply this when next I play peach. (I think I have been playing peach alot lately, lol) I do throw the cape out alot at her, I'll try to do that less.

Top Bottom