• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

otg

Smash Master
Good assessment Viers, I def agree with your ledge ideas as they have saved me/screwed me in the past. It's a bad habit for people to DI towards the stage after being thrown off by Marth, and even DJ. Both of those things are just asking you to get Fsmashed.

I'm not 100% sure on Fox being able to Uthrow->uair you. I'm pretty sure if you DI in a direction and than use Dair/Nair you can beat him out, but if you DJ immediately after the throw, he can catch you with a DJ uair. I've also DIed perfectly with a Dair and w'o a DJ and still gotten smacked out of it. There is a small window of time immediately after the throw where I believe he can FJ Uair you w'o you being able to do anything about it, but it's very hard to get correct. You can see this in specifically here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9LDl7-Vk0Y

Jman is literally just a second or too off and cannot connect those Uairs even though they should connect. This might apply to Doc as well.

Also, Fox doesn't have a lot of options from the shine on you in comparison to other characters... but it def does exist. With a perfect waveshine he can; waveshine->dash->grab or waveshine->usmash . You can probably get out of that with SDI, but some of the Fox's I play are crazy fast and will catch me with a Waveshine->usmash before I can react.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I have never had a fox successfully up-air me through a double jump and d-air. Perhaps though the foxes I've played aren't used to the precision needed to do it, but yeah >_>

re: shine--he can do the basics, but nothing crazy, so that's something, yeah. I'll have to see about the upsmash whenever I get ot play a good fox.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
aight yo im gonna record matches soon and post them um with some major ****ing kobes! yo

otg

Smash Master
I have never had a fox successfully up-air me through a double jump and d-air. Perhaps though the foxes I've played aren't used to the precision needed to do it, but yeah >_>

re: shine--he can do the basics, but nothing crazy, so that's something, yeah. I'll have to see about the upsmash whenever I get ot play a good fox.
Yeah, Waveshine->usmash is iffy, it's only happened to me a hand full of times, but it seems if they are fast enough out of the shine and travel the right distance they can catch you. Some input on this from a Fox might be useful.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I don't know if someone has already asked this, but is there a Dr. Mario power rankings anywhere? I'm kinda interested to see who the top doc's are. (I saw the player finder, but it wasn't really what I'm looking for)

Thanks

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^no there isn't.

though I think we did decide a best doc >_>*

*It was someone's cat

Seriously, doc players have never done well enough consistently to have any way of determining this.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
True, Doc needs more representation. :3 Although we are doing best we can.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
oh yay, time to rip some **** about worthless "proving grounds."

Best doc? Doesnt matter, we dont win important ****. We win like, local tourneys and whatnot, but we barely place in major tourneys. So, honestly, who cares?

Doc dittos? Irrelevant. Dittos in large are irrelevant. They hold a little weight if you play a character where you would actually see dittos in tourney (fox, marth, sheik, peach, etc), but a ****ing doc ditto? Last week, i was || this close to having my first doc ditto in tourney ever in all of the 3/4 years i've been going to tourneys, but the guy was a doc/marth main and went marth on me.

Seriously, i dont see why people are so bent on it. I honestly would love for somebody to be a best doc, but like i said, we dont really do **** as a whole.

I mean seriously, ill put this out there right now. I will say that the best doc player right now probably is NOT a doc main. Who it is? Who knows, but i know it's not a doc main.

I mean, i sitting next to pb&j right now, telling me about DJN's adventures of jungle japes doc, and then last week I know i saw greenmario playing a lil doc at TO4. Same names you always hear, but that's kinda my point. I wouldnt be too surprised if m2k was ridiculously **** with doc. He's good with doc, just plays better characters.

>.>

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Well what about Cyphus? Doesn't he only play D Mario, or has he moved on?

Anyways, that's sad that Doc isn't placing in major tournaments, someone needs to find some weird new **** that Doc can exploit and encourage people to play him more competitively in higher level matches.

Also, for playing Doc at high level, maybe people need to be less aggressive with him and just, hate to say it, camp the whole match. I know it doesn't work exceptionally well, but it's worth a try, no matter how boring it may be. I'm just saying that people won't really know what to expect when they see someone play a different style from the norm (in theory :))

I just don't want to see Dr. Mario become one of those character's that someone will say, "well if it's a friendly, I'll play him", but from what I've heard, it looks like it's going that way (maybe I'm wrong)

Desh

Smash Ace
Well what about Cyphus? Doesn't he only play D Mario, or has he moved on?

Anyways, that's sad that Doc isn't placing in major tournaments, someone needs to find some weird new **** that Doc can exploit and encourage people to play him more competitively in higher level matches.

Also, for playing Doc at high level, maybe people need to be less aggressive with him and just, hate to say it, camp the whole match. I know it doesn't work exceptionally well, but it's worth a try, no matter how boring it may be. I'm just saying that people won't really know what to expect when they see someone play a different style from the norm (in theory :))

I just don't want to see Dr. Mario become one of those character's that someone will say, "well if it's a friendly, I'll play him", but from what I've heard, it looks like it's going that way (maybe I'm wrong)
camping with doc doesnt work.
lol
unless theyre below him on the tier list, and in most cases, it still doesnt work.
and when it will work, it'll be in match's that dont matter against negative tier chars.

with doc just get in, grab, get them off, and gimp.
honestly it makes docs job that much easier, theres really no need for doc discussion past that, unless ur bored.

well not literally i mean, getting in is half the match with doc, so theres always room for discussion, but once u get in, do what u know will work.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ i cant believe your ****ing ignoring me bby.

*breaks up with deshy desh*

no homo..

Camping works all the time >.>

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I'm kinda pushing my expectations for him. Besides, camping is a bad word, how about, non aggressive, super-defensive...-_-

**** it. Spaceballs is on, I lost my train of thought

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ lurk around my profile you'll see funny stuff LOL.

Also check out my short unofficial combo video with Link =DD

Edit: i feel like making a "Doc all dai" or something lol.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Camping works, to some extent--the problem is that against the people that matter, fox, falco, marth, shiek, all it doen is force them to approach. The way I see it, the first challenge is knowing when, and how to stop. Stop too late, and you get punished---stop too early, and you lose the opportunity to do anything but reset and start camping.

As I've said, I'm thinking about what not to do in punishing--namely, trying to shield-grab, or trying to throw out the first move.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
How much of an advantage does Doc have against Ganon/Samus?

Oh yeah, Stos is ****. Falcon. ALL. DAI.
I thought the general consensus was that Ganon / Samus were about even.

Samus because it's just a slow, horrible poking battle where her range is better and your only approaches are like Fair, pill --> Fair and shield. But in exchange your camping game is better. And you have no way to kill her other than random Fairs, whereas her Nair / F-tilt / whatever into an easy edgeguard will kill you so the matchup was about split.

And where Ganon was about the same thing only you have chain grab (I think) and kill setups from throw and he's slow and dumb dumb and gimpable.

Or has something changed?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
speaking of Samus..
Why do i find Samus hard to play when im Doc.
Seriously im like watching myself explode every where >.>

St. Viers

Smash Champion
SR28: Doc goes around even with both of them, maybe a bit advantaged against ganon, perhaps a bit disadvantaged against spamus.

Ganon--dogy prolly has a copy paste wall of text, but pretty much he's tougher than people think, but as long as you don't jump into the ownage, you should be fine.

Samus: she's a ***** to kill, due to wait, aerial movement, and inability to be gimped. Luckily, you shut down her projectile game, but that isn't much help. SHe CCs everything, so again, baiting attacks and going for grabs is best idea, as is simply outcamping her to the best of your ability,

@Stos, just spam, and make sure you don't just cape the projectiles, as then they can be tricksy. I simply went fox against my friend until I realized that I simply had to pay attention and camp/grab.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i basicaly beat samus by like always countering...like SH fair oos and stuff like i cant be offensive =(

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
See, Doc has no range.

He can't really take to the offensive all that well against characters with such long limbs.

Fortunately for him, he can actually outcamp Samus. It becomes more problematic when he's fighting someone like Sheik and there are fifty needles flying at him from all sorts of sporadic directions and he has to saunter through them like a duck and then engage her in close combat with only his sexuality to protect him (and chain grabs ;)).

Desh

Smash Ace
uuhh i talked to dogy about ganon a little bit ago
i forget mostly what we had said though lol.
basically just wait till you find an opening
grab
and ****.
but honestly its like playing in a maze of fire looking for water or something lol.

you just need to be careful cuz he can **** the crap out of u if u arent patient and keep running into his ****.

this is ONE of the match ups i'd say to play safely, and cover ur approaches with pills.
i wouldnt even recommend approaching too often unless hes slipping up.

in general just play safe, get a grab, do what you gotta do and then get that ******* off the stage,
once hes out there you can gimp him. =p

samus is a stupid ******** match up.
i dont even know what to say for that,

wait for dogy, i think he plays with a samus main (alpha) a lot.

edit: **** i type slow, 7 posts in the time it took me to type this ****.
i have mine and dogy's discussion saved somewhere, im not sure though.
aim is a confusing mother ****er

edit edit: viers why would u go fox vs samus if ur having a hard time w/ doc LOL
i swear doc has a better match up vs her D:
she ***** spacies

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone answered my question about Cyphus because I asked like 10 in one post XD, but is Cyphus still only playing Doc, or has he moved on to one of his secondaries?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
See, Doc has no range.

He can't really take to the offensive all that well against characters with such long limbs.

Fortunately for him, he can actually outcamp Samus. It becomes more problematic when he's fighting someone like Sheik and there are fifty needles flying at him from all sorts of sporadic directions and he has to saunter through them like a duck and then engage her in close combat with only his sexuality to protect him (and chain grabs ;)).
Saunter like a duck? I dunno what ducks do in Canada, but here in America, they waddle.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
oh yay, time to rip some **** about worthless "proving grounds."

Best doc? Doesnt matter, we dont win important ****. We win like, local tourneys and whatnot, but we barely place in major tourneys. So, honestly, who cares?

Doc dittos? Irrelevant. Dittos in large are irrelevant. They hold a little weight if you play a character where you would actually see dittos in tourney (fox, marth, sheik, peach, etc), but a ****ing doc ditto? Last week, i was || this close to having my first doc ditto in tourney ever in all of the 3/4 years i've been going to tourneys, but the guy was a doc/marth main and went marth on me.

Seriously, i dont see why people are so bent on it. I honestly would love for somebody to be a best doc, but like i said, we dont really do **** as a whole.

I mean seriously, ill put this out there right now. I will say that the best doc player right now probably is NOT a doc main. Who it is? Who knows, but i know it's not a doc main.

I mean, i sitting next to pb&j right now, telling me about DJN's adventures of jungle japes doc, and then last week I know i saw greenmario playing a lil doc at TO4. Same names you always hear, but that's kinda my point. I wouldnt be too surprised if m2k was ridiculously **** with doc. He's good with doc, just plays better characters.

>.>
I agree. For some reason people have the idea that if you want to see who is the better at Doctor mario you play them against each other and the winner is the better player. It doesn't rly work like that.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@desh: the chars I use are weird--I have a samus-specific fox, and a jiggz specific sheik. I dunno, it just works for me. Pretty much, fox can avoid samus's spam, get grabs easier, and break her CC with falling up-airs.

Top Bottom