• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
am i the only doc here who hates mario?
I don't like him at all :/

All he has over doc imo, is his fsmash.. which has already been discussed

But I'm going to leave it at that, I don't want to start anything. Its just usually when mario is mentioned in tournament play its followed by a "LOL" Whereas some people consider doc high tier sometimes or at least tournament viable.

There's a mario player in my crew that's just about equal to me and he admits doc is easier to win with.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
And at this point, i will go ahead and point out that between the 2, mario normally places higher in the grand scheme of things through way of greenmario and dj nintendo.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
Doublejoint: No problem.

I never liked Mario in Melee. The thought of playing as him just makes me feel dirty. I'm too used to bair gimps, and dunks, and the REVERSE SEX KICK! It's also because my Mario is absolutely, inexcusably bad. No details on that one. Just trust me.

Deff: Waiting for word from Vex about team mate status.

Dogy: To taunt cancel (With doc in this game, with everyone in smash 64) run toward an edge and taunt. If your momentum carries you to the edge of the stage when that the wobbly standing animation starts, the taunt will cancel.

Edit: (I edit too much)

OTG: Thanks for the clarification on the B+Up save thing.

doublejoint

Smash Cadet
i find the backwards wd>taunt cancel a lot sexier

but its really inconsistent, at least for me

you have to be perfect distance from the ledge to get the pill to be obvious; and extremely perfect wavedash moves so **** fast nothing comes out at all, unless you're a lot farther away, which is a bad idea because missing it leaves you very vulnerable to the supposedly respawning opponent

on this note, when i was practicing this i was really warmed up in perfect wavedashing, and i started to realize frame perfect you can wavedash holding straight horizontal; for real?

(sorry about the double post; wasn't thinking D: )

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you can wavedash straight horizontal but you can do it really **** close. You can waveland straight horizontal though.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
No, you cant perfect wavedash. You can perfect waveland, but not perfect wavedash.

__

Today has been pretty ****in hilarious. I think im almost back into the "gaming spirit" of my high school days.
I think i spend like, the whole entire day playing something.

Played some RE5, then played some Melty Blood, 3s, Super Turbo, and POCKET FIGHTERS (YAYHUZZ) online.

2morrow I have to go practice some stuff. Gotta gear up IC4 next week. I'm actually under the assumption melee wont happen, but im makin it a mission to go **** somebody up in GGAC.

__

*Looks at avatar*
and the more I look at that pic, the more jacked up it becomes.

Looks nothing like Estelle, but I love having a matching sig/avatar.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i like mario

at first eggz was my favorite mario, now it's the Cape

he should play again
is DJ Nintendo's mario good?

i wanna play his bowser with my mario

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
DJN's any thing is good, but the thing you have to realize when you watch/play him is that it's all about the mental.

Like, watching any of his vids really do no justice unless you're real good at thinking. Even I get kinda turned off when I watch some of his stuff. He does stuff like a ****ton of rolling. (I equate DJN's rolling to Drephen's spotdodging.) But DJN is just ridiculously good at reading people, so he knows how to do stuff like that and make it work.

__

And the cape? He's actually over here in GA right now. I was supposed to play him a few weeks ago but he (and the other people that were playing) never got ahold of me till the day before a tourney.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
DJN is the man, I completely agree with all your points

I play him all the time since we both live in tristate :] its ****. He beat me in doc dittos pretty hardcore before just by taking it steady.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
When you boost grab (Like JC grabbing, but with A instead of X/Y) he does that too.
That's probably what you did.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yo i think i found a bug/glitch whatever,just dash and press R/L and a almost at the same time to dashgrab and doc will do the waahaaa sound from a dash attack XD
boost/lunge grab for characters with a boost with their dash attack (sheik)

grunt grab with characters who make a sound with their dash (marios)

Boost grab is the term that stuck for it, since it's the only one that's really useful.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Sticky walk, afaik, is moonwalk > forward dash, but you end up running really slow, like you're running in syrup.
I think it's possible with a WD backwards > Forwards dash, too.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
I did a forum search for Sticky walk, and it seems Vulcan55 is right. Stickywalking is moonwalk to forward dash at a certain point.

As for WD backwards > Forwards dash... I don't know if it causes stickywalking, but I used to do that all the time after I got KOs. (Except for me it was more like WD >dash WD >dash etc. etc. You wavedash longer than you dash, so you move backwards) It's pretty fun, and got me pretty good at wavedashing, I think. I wonder if there's a name for that...

On a complete side note: For the first time in my 2ish years of maining Doc, a PTP I tried in a match (a friendly) actually saved me a stock. I'm still not brave enough to try it in tournament, since when I get into position to twitch tap I usually screw up the direction, and cape and then I hammer B and my concentration gets all messed up when I'm falling and throwing pills instead of PTPing. But meh, I did it once. Now I need more practice.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
but the reason shiek's is so hyped is both dash grab and standing grab come out at the same time, so there is no draw back to dash canceled grabs unlike other people whose running grabs have a better range, but comes out slightly later.

Desh

Smash Ace
lol eggz's mixes are ****ing sick.
boss was showin them to me in january D:
egggzzz im ****** u on msn until you send me links today o_o

sticky walk is funneh x3
BGJKWDGHFUKWEDF
SCHOOOL >=[

Shroomed

Smash Master
cape sux

djn *****
im not a fan of DJN

3 fsmashes in a row

in the set vs scar, like ALL he did was full jump dair to uair lol

but i guess it kept working on scar for some reason, all scar had to do wuz space a nair and gg for the dair

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
3 fsmashes in a row; that's him making a read that people are trying to punish the f.smash (which, unless you're like, right there and powershield, it's safe).

I watched him at fast1 do double f.smash to EVERYBODY IN OUR POOL. I was the only person who didnt get hit with double. No, I was smart enough to wait for that second one.....

.... i sure as **** didnt think a 3rd one was coming. XD

___

FH D.air works. You cant spam it but it works. It works because to beat it you have to be on the same level as mario (or doc) to stop it. It's the same concept as every other character doing FH aerials, it's just there arent that many good docs or marios to note that kinda thing.

It's the same thing as fox coming in with a FH d.air. You cant jump up and beat him, you have to already be above him or come from the same level (read: you cant SH and beat it).

Brickwall tactics.
___

That's exactly what I mean about DJN, unless you know what he's trying to do, he really looks terrible (no offense). But in all actuallity he's actually so smart it's ridiculous. He doesnt play like everybody else, he doesnt even try. That's not how he works.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Treat him like jiggs and dont combo him. (Read: Dont put forth too much effort for it)

he's really not hard to combo; the problem is if you try to cheat him and he calls you, not only do you get your combo interrupted, more-often-than-not you actually get punished by his combo.

Top Bottom