• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does a lack of "true combos" hurt Brawl?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
actually items can be regulated in brawl
one of the reasons among the fact that melee got rid of items is that you cant turn of exploding capsules and boxes/crates/barrels in item play...no matter what item you leave on. asides from the fact that one one ones are balanced pretty well without them

brawl just took the melee and 64 format and pasted it on to their game
even though the developer tried to legitmately **** on the this type of play

Signias post is the ****ing truth though

lack of combos hurt brawl bad some matchups against meta knight wouldnt be half as lopsided if you could get a hit in and not have to back off because of the laser sword/trascendant priority

the threat of further punishment is always better. in melee fox vs captain falcon is clearly in foxes favor but with combos and correct assesement of di captain falcon can kill at early percents. could you imagine if he had to do hit and run like you have to do in brawl because thats what brawls offense basically boils down to. hit and run/ hoping for a dodge
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTHfcafE9ig?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTHfcafE9ig?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTHfcafE9ig?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTHfcafE9ig?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
no offense but i really dont see how that attacks my point at all.
im sure you can pull out the most extreme matchups everytime but it really doesnt help. i could pull out a vid where a jigglypuff gets comboed by fox even though thats not realistic ether.
as im sure you noticed that both have the tools for extreme styles of play. puff combos fast fallers.

combos are more then just flash. lmao look at how some matchups are completely warped out of reach for sonic

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
no offense but i really dont see how that attacks my point at all.
im sure you can pull out the most extreme matchups everytime but it really doesnt help. i could pull out a vid where a jigglypuff gets comboed by fox even though thats not realistic ether.
as im sure you noticed that both have the tools for extreme styles of play. puff combos fast fallers.

combos are more then just flash. lmao look at how some matchups are completely warped out of reach for sonic
I can't even tell what you are saying with the bolded.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
IMO for the next SSB game, they need to do -isms. M-Ism, B-Ism, 64-Ism, and SSB4-Ism.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I can't even tell what you are saying with the bolded.
what im saying is that sonic would have a way better placement in brawl if he could combo
i also feel that alot of people in this thread just look at combos/follow up and think of them as simple flash but they assist in getting you closer to taking off a match (or stock in this case)

okisme

Smash Cadet
Do you even see what you're typing? You're just flat out fabricating information to suit your needs. There are certainly risks worth taking in brawl, and certainly characters that are suited to take those risks. The DK vs Snake match up, relies on DK taking the risk of approaching to minimize snakes camping abilities while still maximizing his own spacing ability. You think that running through, potentially, 2 grenades, a land mine, c4, and a nikita isn't a risk?

You're also putting words in my mouth, which is a logical fallacy if I've ever heard one. It does NOTHING for your argument other than making you look like a presumptuous jerk. As a matter of fact, I do enjoy the idea that you can lose a stock from being punished appropriately. The whole reason melee combo videos were entertaining to watch, is because it was cool seeing a player dominate his opponent. What YOU fail to understand, is that simply because you can't rob a whole stock in 10 seconds anymore, doesn't mean that the game has been injured in any way.

And what I mean by the reading opponent thing, is that your little buddy talking up the faults of brawl, is essentially saying that having to read your opponent more often is somehow hurting the game. That's ridiculous. Just because one read doesn't result in 100 friggen percent damage, doesn't mean that it's less of a game. So you have to read your opponent more often, and try to keep track of his actions on a more constant basis. Melee relied more on technical proficiency then methodical countering. My point is that there is nothing wrong with taking smaller steps towards a stock. If you have to constantly read your opponent to get those hits in, then so be it.
this is the truth, but fanboys of melee will ignore it completely

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
what im saying is that sonic would have a way better placement in brawl if he could combo
i also feel that alot of people in this thread just look at combos/follow up and think of them as simple flash but they assist in getting you closer to taking off a match (or stock in this case)
You don't know Sonic do you? Because he does have true combos when he hits people with a spin dash.

Also 5th and 6th at a national is pretty dang good.

Sliq

Smash Master
Do you even see what you're typing? You're just flat out fabricating information to suit your needs. There are certainly risks worth taking in brawl, and certainly characters that are suited to take those risks. The DK vs Snake match up, relies on DK taking the risk of approaching to minimize snakes camping abilities while still maximizing his own spacing ability. You think that running through, potentially, 2 grenades, a land mine, c4, and a nikita isn't a risk?
And what risk is Snake taking? Would almost NONE be accurate? That's why being defensive and campy is better. It makes RISK LOBSIDED. The Snake isn't in risk of being hit and combo'd for equal percent that he just gave for camping with explosives.

You're also putting words in my mouth, which is a logical fallacy if I've ever heard one. It does NOTHING for your argument other than making you look like a presumptuous jerk. As a matter of fact, I do enjoy the idea that you can lose a stock from being punished appropriately. The whole reason melee combo videos were entertaining to watch, is because it was cool seeing a player dominate his opponent. What YOU fail to understand, is that simply because you can't rob a whole stock in 10 seconds anymore, doesn't mean that the game has been injured in any way..
Except that now camping is the best strategy, and doesn't really have a counter. In Melee, you could counter it by landing a hit and comboing. In Brawl, you land one hit then hope to do it again before they can start camping again. You take 50% just to get in and do 14% with one move (assuming they just don't shield your approach and punish the crap out of you). You have the potentially to get more percent, but there is no promise. The risk is not equal to the reward.

And what I mean by the reading opponent thing, is that your little buddy talking up the faults of brawl, is essentially saying that having to read your opponent more often is somehow hurting the game. That's ridiculous. Just because one read doesn't result in 100 friggen percent damage, doesn't mean that it's less of a game. So you have to read your opponent more often, and try to keep track of his actions on a more constant basis. Melee relied more on technical proficiency then methodical countering. My point is that there is nothing wrong with taking smaller steps towards a stock. If you have to constantly read your opponent to get those hits in, then so be it.
You don't have to read your opponent more, though. Snake isn't reading his opponent when he camps it up and just throws **** all day. That's easy to do, and brick walls almost the whole cast. MK doesn't have to read anything, either. He has the option to do safe moves, and depending on whether they land, he can follow up with another safe move until it doesn't land, then he follows that up with another safe move. If he up airs and you air dodge, he just down airs and hits you at the end. No risk involved because it's SAFE.

The problem with smaller steps to winning a stock is that the characters are so polarized in how balanced they are that you have to be about as twice as talented in order to win with any character that isn't op.

In Melee, Roy vs Fox and Falco was heavily in favor of the spacies, but a good Roy could still win because he could COMBO THEM BOTH. Now, it's all about who has the best punishment, poking, and camping options. If your character doesn't have ANY of these, good luck winning a match. MK has the best of poking and punishment, and is up there with his edge camping, being beaten only by Snake, IMHO.

Brawl would be fine without combos if there weren't such god awful and unbalanced gameplay mechanics, making hitstun and shield stun LESS than most moves. What kind of fighting game gives the defensive player the advantage? Even in SSF4, moves can give the offender and the defender the advantage, as well as have an equal frame advantage. In Brawl, there are only a very small amount of safe moves, and they are already taken by the best characters in the game, even without these moves.

The real problem with Brawl is how low it's shield stun is.

Also, how ******** Nintendo is for not being able to properly code its own game. Seriously, Ganon would have been usable if his fair autocanceled and he could ****ing approach. Goddamn.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Fixing somethings

A good Roy is still going to deal with the fact he suffers huge hitstun, is combo bait, has little to no safe approaches, has one of the worst recoveries in Melee. Also Sheik and Climbers will destroy him.

Combos don't mean jack when it's given to everyone to use against good and bad characters, because some character can get them easier or are better at avoid set-ups into them, ie good characters in Melee.

You can say you feel Melee is more balanced if you want to ignore tournament results.

If Ganon's fair did auto cancel, it wouldn't save him from being terrible because his moveset is still too slow.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Note that I'm saying this as someone somewhat neutral on tournaments.

Why do tournament results matter? Hell, why are the tier lists made around them? A character more commonly used is far more likely to win a tournament than one that is rarely used. Of course, I'm saying this with player skill and differences in quality of the characters themselves out of the question.

Again, what I am about to say is out of ignorance so I apologize for my inaccuracies.

While Roy may have those flaws, the player can still try to outsmart the opponent with mixups and baits. It'll be a lot of effort, but it sounds like it's doable.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They matter because it shows if someone is viable that they can prove it. Anyone can theory craft that someone is viable or argue it, but if those character don't show up or place usually low, how does that prove that the game has more viability? People can't say a game is more diversified or balanced without taking results into consideration.

MLG Dallas:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290675&highlight=APEX+results
Singles Results (182 Entrants, $35,000 in Prizes)
Championship Bracket Results
1st (9) Gnes -Diddy Kong - $12,500
2nd (3) TyRaNt - Meta Knight - $7,500
3rd (2) ESAM - Pikachu - $5,000
4th (1) Ally - Snake - $3,500
5th (11) Espy - Sonic - $2,500
6th (12) _X_ - Sonic - $1,750
7th (4) LeeMartin - Meta Knight/Lucario - $1,250
8th (7) Atomsk92 - King Dedede/Ice Climbers/Meta Knight$1,000
9th (14) mikeHAZE - Marth
10th (15) -Dojo- - Meta Knight
11th (13) DEHF - Falco
12th (16) Mjg7tlink - Toon Link
13th (6) RichBrown - Olimar
14th (5) NickRiddle - Zero Suit Samus
15th (8) FatalMatt - Snake
16th (10) logic- - Olimar
APEX:
BRAWL SINGLES:

1st - DEHF (Falco)
2nd - Brood (Olimar)
3rd - Mew2King (Meta Knight)
4th - Lee Martin (Lucario/MK)
5th - Ally (Snake)
6th - Lain (Ice Climbers)
7th - Atomsk (Ice Climbers/D3/Wario)
8th - Rain (Falco/MK)
9th - Anti (MK)
9th - Shadow (MK)
9th - Shugo (Falco/MK)
9th - San (Ike)
13th - Gnes (Diddy)
13th - Malcolm (Wario)
13th - Inui (MK)
13th - SweetPea (D3)
17th - ChuDat (Kirby)
17th - UltimateRazor (Snake)
17th - Vex Kasrani (D3)
17th - Jerm (Toon Link)
17th - Doom (MK)
17th - Bizkit (Snake)
17th - Ninjalink (Ice Climbers/ROB/Diddy)
17th - Earth (?)
25th - Logic (Olimar)
25th - Blue Rogue (Wario)
25th - PatG (Lucario/ZSS)
25th - HolyNightmare (ROB/MK)
25th - Swordgard (Ice Climbers)
25th - Nairo (MK)
25th - SK92 (Falco)
25th - Jash (Toon Link)
33rd - Vinnie (Game and Watch)
33rd - Squall (Snake)
33rd - vVv Fino (Olimar)
33rd - Bloodcross (Falco)
33rd - Snakeee (Zero Suit Samus)
33rd - Mintyflesh (MK)
33rd - Speed (Sonic)
33rd - Kel (MK)
33rd - Jtails (MK)
33rd - CO18 (D3)
33rd - Eggz (?)
33rd - Keitaro (Falco)
33rd - Cable (Donkey Kong)
33rd - Junebug (Lucario/Donkey Kong)
33rd - Koolaid (Snake)
33rd - Bill_ (?)
49th - Suinoko (Pokemon Trainer?)
49th - Dr. Grandpa (Donkey Kong?)
49th - Boss (Luigi/Mario)
49th - DeltaCOD (Pokemon Trainer)
49th - Chaos Marth (Marth?)
49th - Jbandrew (D3)
49th - Big Lou (Luigi)
49th - Fujita (?)
49th - Will (Donkey Kong)
49th - TUSM (?)
49th - Orion (MK)
49th - Trela (Lucario)
49th - TeeVee (ROB)
49th - Zucco (Lucario)
49th - Coney (D3)
49th - (no one, M2K had a bye)
MLG Raleigh:
Singles Results (148 Entrants, $7,000 in Prizes)
1: Mew2King (MW)- Meta Knight - $2,500
2: LeeMartin (S) - Toon Link/Meta Knight/Lucario - $1,500
3: Felix (WC) - Diddy Kong - $1,000
4: Seibrik (S)- Meta Knight - $700
5: NickRiddle (S) - Zero Suit Samus - $500
6: TyRaNt (WC)- Meta Knight - $350
7: DEHF (WC) - Falco - $250
8: Havok (WC)- Meta Knight/Marth - $200
9: ESAM (S) - Pikachu
10: Kel (MW) - Meta Knight
11: FatalMatt (EC) - Snake
12: NinjaLink (EC) - Diddy Kong/Ice Climbers
13: RichBrown (WC) - Olimar
14: Atomsk (EC) - Falco/Meta Knight/Ice Climbers
15: ch33s3 (EC) - Ice Climbers/Meta Knight
16: _choice_ (WC) - Falco/Wolf
17: Sky Hazuki (WC) - Wario
17: Ally (CAN) - Snake
17: CO18 (S) - King Dedede/Snake
17: Bizk1t (EC) - Snake
17: Big Lou (S) - Luigi
17: Will (EC) - Donkey Kong
17: Bloodcross (EC) - Falco/Meta Knight
17: Grimace (MW) - Snake
25: Kismit (S) - Falco
25: ADHD (EC) - Diddy Kong
25: Zex (WC) - Marth/Meta Knight
25: MikeHaze (WC) - Marth
25: MVD731 (S) - Snake
25: Reflex (S) - Pokemon Trainer/Sheik
25: Chaz (S) - Marth
25: Hunger (MW) - Wario
33: Fonz (MW) - Lucario
33: Xaltis (S) - Falco
33: only4GOD (S) - King Dedede
33: KirinBlaze (EC)- Link/Mario
33: Inui (EC) - Meta Knight
33: Stockfield (S) - ROB
33: Vinnie_C (EC) - Game & Watch/Ice Climbers
33: Kadaj (EC) - Marth/Meta Knight
33: Foxy_ (S) - Meta Knight/Donkey Kong
33: Stingers (S) - ROB
33: Zucco (EC) - Lucario
33: Micaelis (S) - Meta Knight/Donkey Kong
33: TuRtL (S) - Zero Suit Samus
33: Izumi (EC) - Meta Knight/Toon Link
33: Xzax (EC) - Falco/Meta Knight
33: Mister-Eric (MW) - ROB
MLG Columbus
Singles Results (250 Entrants, $7,000 in Prizes)
1: Mew2King (MW) - Meta Knight - $2,500
2: Ally (CAN)- Snake - $1,500
3: NickRiddle (SE)- Zero Suit Samus - $1,000
4: LeeMartin (SW)- Meta Knight/Lucario - $700
5: -Dojo- (SW) -Meta Knight - $500
6: Gnes (SW)- Diddy Kong - $350
7: Tearbear (?)- Meta Knight - $250
8: ESAM (SE)- Pikachu - $200
9: TyRaNt-WC (WC) - Meta Knight
10: Shaky3 (?) - Ness
11: San (EC) - Ike
12: Judge (MW) - Meta Knight
13: Seibrik (SE) - Meta Knight
14: _choice_ (?) - Wolf/Falco
15: Atomsk92 (EC) - Ice Climbers/Meta Knight/King Dedede
16: RichBrown (WC) - Olimar
17: theboss8 (EC) - Luigi/Mario
17: HavokZ (WC) - Meta Knight
17: CO18 (SE) - King Dedede
17: Shugo (MW) - Falco
17: Bizk1t (EC) - Snake
17: Will (EC) - Donkey Kong
17: DEHF (WC) - Falco
17: Ook (MW) - Donkey Kong
25: mikeHAZE (WC) - Marth
25: Blue_Rogue (MW) - Wario
25: grimacepok (MW) - Snake
25: Fino (MW) - Olimar
25: Jem. (WC) - Meta Knight
25: NinjaLink (EC) - Diddy Kong/Ice Climbers
25: TheLegendaryJash (EC) - Toon Link
25: Lain (MW) - Ice Climbers
33: MVD731 (?)
33: ch33s3 (EC) - Ice Climbers/Meta Knight/Donkey Kong
33: Fizzle_Boy (MW) - Lucario/King Dedede
33: Keitaro (EC) - Falco
33: junkk (?)
33: CONEYZZzzz (?) - King Dedede
33: t0mmy (WC) - R.O.B.
33: Sky Hazuki (WC) - Peach
33: meepxzero (EC) - Ice Climbers
33: Kel (MW) - Meta Knight
33: VexKasrani (EC) - King Dedede/Game & Watch/Snake
33: FatalMatt (EC) - Snake
33: hunger1455 (MW) - Wario
33: SteelSamurai7 (MW) - Marth
33: Quivo (MW) - Toon Link
33: InfernAngelis (MW) - Snake
49: DarkLouis
49: Mikey Lenetia - Peach
49: Seph
49: MalcolmM - Wario
49: Wakka - Diddy Kong
49: [Z]IKO
49: Big Lou - Luigi
49: Anther - Pikachu
49: Amazing Ampharos
49: Nope - Snake
49: KIDGoggles
49: Speed - Sonic
49: dextasmurf
49: ChiboSempai - R.O.B.
49: Kain - Wolf
49: Vinnie
65: Sumer
65: SneakyTako - R.O.B.
65: rolrctermaniac
65: nvh2pc
65: GIMR - Game & Watch
65: kirbycpok
65: RalphCecil
65: ArgentStew - Lucario
65: Arty - Falco
65: dj_iskascribble - Meta Knight
65: Sai90 - Diddy Kong
65: MX778
65: esojose - Diddy Kong
65: Krystedez - Wario
65: Dark 3nergy
65: Suyon - Pit
65: Mekos
65: xzax - Meta Knight
65: Ripple - Donkey Kong
65: MetalMusicMan
65: FuRyOf1000SuNs
65: Lie - Falco
65: Punishment Divine
65: asc853
65: -Hilt- - Olimar
65: Joey
65: Sago - Meta Knight
65: YoshQ
65: Tmacc
65: KirinBlaze
65: Pyronic Star - Olimar
65: pikapika - Pikachu
97: Ankoku - Sheik
97: Xyless
97: DSF
97: Acton182
97: Mothuzad
97: Nasty
97: solecalibur
97: Stealth_Raptor - Pikachu
97: DLA
97: ithrowthings - Sonic
97: King Beef - Peach
97: TheGreatMuldini7
97: Trent
97: cranz
97: jt5565
97: HeyItsYO
97: egosin33
97: Smash64 - Ness
97: cr4sh - Luigi
97: Allied
97: [GLASSJAW]
97: ScytheMagus
97: lukedu4
97: Watkins1247
97: Arc.Revived
97: sorasin
97: kingtoon
97: Fonz - Lucario
97: TakeYouDown
97: Silhouette - R.O.B.
97: Red_Ryu
97: stephaney
129: aposl
129: Sharky
129: Jiffyboob
129: BlaizeRaz0r
129: coswhite
129: Koojiboo
129: Mister-Eric - R.O.B.
129: Aeon v1
129: Mav
129: TheRealFatty
129: KassandraNova
129: circleguy
129: Bead
129: Xero_Levantine
129: VorpalLyric
129: Poe-
129: spongejordan123
129: Lumi
129: Champ - Falco
129: Auspher - Wolf
129: Chuee95
129: King0Gus
129: fzk_
129: TheBanhammer - Game & Watch
129: Eviltwin0688
129: TommyGreenShirt
129: Judo
129: SlaughterinStew
129: Riku
129: Legan - Link
129: Holmes
129: peep_rivers
129: T.K.O.
129: Twilight Prince
129: LK24
129: Blazing Katakiri
129: roflteedaniel
129: Y.b.M. - Kirby
129: GURU3LIVE
129: t1mmy - Meta Knight
129: friendlyhacker7
129: MulticolorShyGuy
129: King Yoshi - Pikachu
129: Colaya - track
129: Sovereign90
129: whitley79
129: bschung
129: Prizefighter_Inferno
129: downanda
129: Matser
129: XeroXen
129: Rathrn
129: clowsui - Falco
129: kamenriderw
129: Thinkaman
129: THE_SMILE
129: Noctournez
129: glove24
129: ADHD
129: Braggins
129: Dark-Kakashi
129: Xionix
129: Maverick5809
129: Phoenix2005
193: Duck131313
193: Higatron
193: Joshkipime
193: revrabies
193: Silenoz666
193: Ebo
193: FaTaL-ThUmBs
193: Framerate
193: Mudvayne91
193: calic.
193: distortlove
193: L-R-A-Start
193: Wafles_
193: poptartlovesyou
193: PositiveExternality
193: Machiave
193: Chaz
193: dj.asakura
193: cammjohn
193: Henry_H13
193: MysteriousSilver
193: AirborneReborne
193: Gumby2
193: yeti610
193: Boisfat
193: Snackk
193: Xyphercoop01
193: DuhZex
193: PharaohTPM
193: -Ensis-
193: Tutu_No.2
193: JTSM
193: Dalegendarysamus
193: BMX09
193: L_Cancel - Olimar
193: lou_4222 - Game & Watch
193: Ori_bro
193: FS_SlimJim
193: Today
193: CaptainPlatypus
193: Atopgun007
193: WhatsThePoint
193: insanedifficulty09
193: Sphere.
193: DrillbitSammy
193: Shadow_111
193: LoliLovesRain
193: bellboys6779
193: Calebyte
193: giobot
193: Nistacular
193: The_crum
193: Snakeee
193: RoyalTempest
193: SniperSnakeCQC
193: Lokeloki
193: HigherCalling
193: drj12
Apex 2010
I haven't seen anything in Melee results to suggest it is more diversified than Brawl is KumaOsa. As Brawl has moved forward the game has actually improved in diversity compared to last year where diversity was much worse.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
From what you've posted and what I've seen before, results diversify the 1st half of the year then MK starts rising again XD

QUIVO

Smash Master
Falco/Fox are the most dominant and take at least 6 of those 10 spots. I'm counting them pocket foxes/falcos too.

Then depending on who's attending you get maybe a puff or two, falcon or two, one marth/sheik (if m2k entered).

If you're real lucky, you get to see MAYBE ICs/Ganon/Peach depending on the region!
(or if those players are on fire that day)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They matter because it shows if someone is viable that they can prove it. Anyone can theory craft that someone is viable or argue it, but if those character don't show up or place usually low, how does that prove that the game has more viability? People can't say a game is more diversified or balanced without taking results into consideration.

I haven't seen anything in Melee results to suggest it is more diversified than Brawl is KumaOsa. As Brawl has moved forward the game has actually improved in diversity compared to last year where diversity was much worse.
I never said Melee was more balanced.

Whether you like it or not, that tier list is still very flawed. You can't make accurate results if there are several players of one character and barely any for another. If that was the case, characters like C. Viper and El Fuerte would be lower than the already are on the tier list since there are not that many people that play them and even fewer are well known pros. Since they made both first and second last night in a tournament, this would call for a re-examining of the tier list or people would launch them higher in the tier list if the SF community included tournament results in their making of tier lists.

You have to consider both the player and the character combined. A mix-up character like Sonic (or so I hear) is difficult to determine because mix-ups depend entirely on the player.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Melee's lower tiers are highly underrated, unfortunately a lot of people are tier *****s and go for the top. Then again, the top/high tiers imo were really fun to play as.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I never said Melee was more balanced.

Whether you like it or not, that tier list is still very flawed. You can't make accurate results if there are several players of one character and barely any for another. If that was the case, characters like C. Viper and El Fuerte would be lower than the already are on the tier list since there are not that many people that play them and even fewer are well known pros. Since they made both first and second last night in a tournament, this would call for a re-examining of the tier list or people would launch them higher in the tier list if the SF community included tournament results in their making of tier lists.

You have to consider both the player and the character combined. A mix-up character like Sonic (or so I hear) is difficult to determine because mix-ups depend entirely on the player.
I understand that results aren't the end be all of any debate about a character, but there is a point where somethings are theory crafted and not proven in practice as to how good a character is.

Sonic used to be the 5th worst character in the game, then his results showed he was outclassing his tier position by 10-12 spots. That is a pretty big alert that people need to reevaluate the character, at least to me it is. Sonic is difficult to evaluate due to his mix-up potential from his SideB or DownB, plus his punishing potential with having the fastest running speed in a game about platform fighting.

I do think on paper discussion and other such things are very important when looking at a character for a tier list.

When it comes to diversity and balance in some ways however, I think results are a better indication of it since a tier list doesn't necessarily reflect either.

Melee's lower tiers are highly underrated, unfortunately a lot of people are tier *****s and go for the top. Then again, the top/high tiers imo were really fun to play as.
Guess I'm partly at fault for this since I went for Peach when I picked up Melee again.

I guess the main reason I picked up Peach in Melee was due to the fact she plays very similarly to her Brawl counterpart, which I play sometimes. Link just feels, really different when I play him in Melee.

NNID
Budget_Player
really? when I see 5 metaknights in the top 10 I don't call it diversity.

hahah what a joke of a post.
All right, you're probably right. Show me some melee results with similar diversity.

Also, let's differentiate here-there's a difference between the following two types of diversity:
Top8: MK, TL, Diddy, MK, Wario, Sonic, MK, MK
and
Top8: Fox, Falco, Jiggs, Jiggs, Fox, Falco, Falco, Fox

Which is better?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
nah i read the sonic guide a while back (learning all the tricks with the spins) and thats way too situational against the top tiers.
Hitting someone with sideB or downB is situational?

All right, you're probably right. Show me some melee results with similar diversity.

Also, let's differentiate here-there's a difference between the following two types of diversity:
and

Which is better?
The top.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

and

Which is better?
biased list is biased (not saying that Melee has good balance.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
When it comes to diversity and balance in some ways however, I think results are a better indication of it since a tier list doesn't necessarily reflect either.
Are they better? Maybe, but they are still inaccurate for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

In a sense, Smash tier lists are part popularity contest. I would much prefer to see that a tier list is made based solely on matchup data, like so:
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

At least this way, popularity is cast aside in favor of something more objective. Yet, popularity can help in making matchup strategies and therefore more accurate numbers. Someone like Ryu, because he's played so much, is easy to make matchup data for whereas someone like Hakan, because he's hardly played, is hard to make data for that's really accurate as some tricks may be left unsearched.

I guess you can say that I'm proposing for a new way tier lists are made here.

and

Which is better?
Way to cherry pick. I don't know if these results ever actually happened, but I can easily make a top 8 list of my own that favors my argument.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Are they better? Maybe, but they are still inaccurate for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

In a sense, Smash tier lists are part popularity contest. I would much prefer to see that a tier list is made based solely on matchup data, like so:
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

At least this way, popularity is cast aside in favor of something more objective. Yet, popularity can help in making matchup strategies and therefore more accurate numbers. Someone like Ryu, because he's played so much, is easy to make matchup data for whereas someone like Hakan, because he's hardly played, is hard to make data for that's really accurate as some tricks may be left unsearched.

I guess you can say that I'm proposing for a new way tier lists are made here.
To be honest, I'm getting sick of the popularity contests the tier lists have turned into at times. Pit's dumb unwarranted rise ticked the community off even to a point multiple BBR members called out people who voted Pit too high for no reason.

Personally I prefer what people know as a fact on paper first, results second. I don't like how our community does value results too much for making a tier list, hwoever I don't think we should ignore them per say since they do reflect changes in the meta game, which I think is how the tier list is looked at for Brawl rather than objective best via match-ups.

I think it works in some respects because having a MU worse than 4-6 with MK is much worse than having it with most other characters, which does have merit if they view some match-ups like that.

I guess I has this discussion with someone about Peach vs Fox on which is better or worse, ignoring the results parts, which I called BS on some cases, I was looking at the match-ups.

Fox is hard countered by 3 characters, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, and Sheik, if he can avoid them he actually has nice match-ups with everyone else, he loses to some like MK 4-6 but it's not too bad.

Peach has harder time with MK than Fox does, she also loses to Snake, Falco and a few others, on the flip side though none of these are hard counters. Even better she has advantages against a couple of A tier characters, Ice Climbers & Wario, Diddy is debatable.

So the question was, does her making bad match-ups with more common character, while not hard counters, matter more than Fox who has 3 hard counters but none outside of Ice climbers are A tier or higher.

This is partly what I beleive is happening as people are who exactly they lose to rather than overall spread. I don't think this is a bad approach, however I do think we are valuing results far more than we should.

So I do like how SF does it, but at the same time I can see how in some aspects how the smash community does it has valid reasons.

This is of course talking about making a tier list, when it comes to diversity I think Results are a better indication because a tier doesn't necessarily say someone never shows up or someone does etc.

~

I'm sad for Sakura, she still has a bad spread in SSF4, even if she loses only 4-6, but it's to almost everyone. :<, but that's a bit off topic and I'll leave that aside.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Personally I prefer what people know as a fact on paper first, results second. I don't like how our community does value results too much for making a tier list, hwoever I don't think we should ignore them per say since they do reflect changes in the meta game, which I think is how the tier list is looked at for Brawl rather than objective best via match-ups.
I understand. Why else would matchup scores change over time? To an extent it's tournament results, but that's a product of the overall changing metagame.

I think it works in some respects because having a MU worse than 4-6 with MK is much worse than having it with most other characters, which does have merit if they view some match-ups like that.
Then you might as well make a weighed tier list or something. After all, on that tier list I linked too, Honda got fat off a lot of the lower tier characters, yet he has his problems with characters closer to him on the tier list.

This is of course talking about making a tier list, when it comes to diversity I think Results are a better indication because a tier doesn't necessarily say someone never shows up or someone does etc.
Diversity is really more of a metagame product than anything else. To me, it doesn't mean a lot.

I'm sad for Sakura, she still has a bad spread in SSF4, even if she loses only 4-6, but it's to almost everyone. :<, but that's a bit off topic and I'll leave that aside.
She's getting quite the number of buffs for Arcade Edition. It's a matter of time to see how much they help her.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think I can respect what your saying at this point. Personally I would go with a weighted tier list, if SF4 went by that Guile or Chun-Li would be #1 if we went by how I think the smash community views it.

I agree with a weighted list, but I do admit it has some flaws.

Either way, your smart and I like your knowledgeable input.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I think I can respect what your saying at this point. Personally I would go with a weighted tier list, if SF4 went by that Guile or Chun-Li would be #1 if we went by how I think the smash community views it.

How exactly would the weighted tier list work?

Like, character X essentially wrecks any "low" tier, which Mu wise makes him one of the best, but has trouble vs some top tier characters, which means even though MU wise he should be high tier, he is Mid due to his bad Top tier MUs?

And then copy/paste with each character...

wouldnt it then have to keep on being revised as old top tiers go "down" makign their "oh it's a top tier MU" problem vs (Character X) be less relavent?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Thanks for the compliment. I still prefer a matchup score based tier list; but I think we can respect our reasons for our preferences. I'd like to see what you'd have in mind for a weighed tier list because all in all,the construction of the tier list needs to be re-evaluated. I'm still trying to see how you can make a weighed tier list. I suppose what you can do is make sub-tier lists. Like for the one I posted, if you made a list of just the top ten, the rankings would change to this:

10. Cammy
9. Ryu (Because he has an advantage over Cammy)
7+8. Rufus, E. Honda
4+5+6. Dhalsim, Bison, Balrog
3. Abel
1+2. Guile, Chun-Li

As you can see the rankings are so much different. Why did I do this again?

All in all, it's up to you how to use a tier list. I see mine as an indicator of which matchups I should keep an eye on and try to improve against.

Back to the combo topic at hand.... Where were we on this again? I guess I'll throw some thoughts in, including ones that may or may not be irrelevant.

Combos help balance the risk-reward ratio by countering defensive play. At the same time, it can topple the balance where offense is too strong of an option and punishments have too much gravity.

You don't need long strings of combos, you need damaging combos. I'd rather do a 5-hit combo over a 20-hit combo if they give me the same amount of damage.

Combos can help balance out the characters. Let's say every character can combo really well. You have the top tier go against the bottom tier. Assuming that the bottom tier character doesn't suck THAT bad and the player knows what he's doing, he can bait and punish the top tier character player with damaging combos by using fighting game fundamentals. I remember this from a really good post: If you take away the hitstun in a fighter, every time a hit lands, after the attack recovery, the game essentially resets itself. If one character can get away with going in and out and has room for mistakes in the form of weight or health, we have a problem.

Sliq

Smash Master
Brawl may have a lot more variety not because it is more balanced, but because it has more characters, or more people willing to play non OP characters.

IMHO, there are about the same number of overused characters in Brawl and Melee.

It doesn't matter which game is MORE balanced, it just matters that Brawl suffers a lot of balancing issues because of gameplay mechanics, a lot of which are pretty ******** (standing infinite, really Nintendo? you don't even need to play test it, just look at the ****ing frame data, holy ****).

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Brawl may have a lot more variety not because it is more balanced, but because it has more characters, or more people willing to play non OP characters.

IMHO, there are about the same number of overused characters in Brawl and Melee.

It doesn't matter which game is MORE balanced, it just matters that Brawl suffers a lot of balancing issues because of gameplay mechanics, a lot of which are pretty ******** (standing infinite, really Nintendo? you don't even need to play test it, just look at the ****ing frame data, holy ****).

Can't sheik cg all of the low tiers in melee?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
To me, reviewing frame data is a form of play testing, but that's just different standards.

I think so, but chain grabs don't sound like they're something you can catch just by looking at frame data. Besides, all this chain grab bull**** would've been avoided had Sakurai been smart enough to put in tech grabs. That, or make it like how Dedede is in Balanced Brawl where his chain grab becomes an okizeme guessing game ala El Fuerte.

Sliq

Smash Master

A lot, not all. Also, it is not an infinite, and you have at least some control over your character while it is happening. I'll agree, though, it is ****ty.

Big lol at Sheik CGing Pichu.

In Melee, characters had safe offensive options to avoid being grabbed, making it less of a big deal to avoid getting grabbed. With proper spacing and l-canceling, you would never could shield grabbed, which is almost unanimously D3's game again CGable people.

It's funny to me how the Ice Climbers grab game stayed about exactly the same, seeing as how it was easier for them to land grabs in Melee compared to Brawl because of how much mobile they were, while it's easier to land grabs in Brawl compared to Melee because of how immobile everyone else is.

Besides, all this chain grab bull**** would've been avoided had Sakurai been smart enough to put in tech grabs.
BEST IDEA EVER.

Top Bottom