• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down to Business (Competitive)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lol v-k go to 1:30 and convince people they made the game floatier Kappa but yeah some gameplay footage seals the deal. Not quite what I wanted but it looks faster than brawl for sure..gunna keep watching.

And Samus' f-smash is from melee, yes it has more range, didn't know she lost the explosion in brawl.

Edit: M2K is there and will be play testing back stage but right now he's watching the smash showcase with a guy from Empire Arcadia. www.youtube.com/watch?client=mv-google&gl=CA&hl=en&v=rqxDPJmO6f8&nomobile=1&t=4m11s is sakurai playing as megaman.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Everybody is going to WTF over the Wii Fit Trainer.

But watch her become God Tier and everybody is going to use her :awesome:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
-BOWSER HAS A NEW ****ING DROP KICK
-Pit has a new firey uppercut looking move.
@Bowser: Huh? ._.
@Pit: Upperdash Arm from Kid Icarus: Uprising. He also has the Guardian Orbitars from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Obviously for reflecting attacks.

Edit: I'm late on this. :I

The "tree cutting" move looked really strong, but it probably takes some kinda set up. Like you have to grow it first or something.
That tree cutting move looks so low-priority. If you watched Sakurai show the game, you need to plant the tree first, and cut it whenever you want to.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
edit: remembering why I don't post in the smash 4 section

But I guess I'm going to.

I see high knockback across the board and low hitstun but you seem to be able chase people out of your own moves better without stupid IASA frame ratios disproportional to knockback/hitstun. Stage control might be a bigger focal point than combo'ing.

That being said I like combos but we don't know yet.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I wish someone with half a clue about the competitive environment could get a few mins with the game or even some questions answered.

Kef

Smash Apprentice
Was going to create a new thread but...

Analyze this. Is the complete reveal at E3 (includes Wii Fit Trainer presentation).

For me, I've noticed:
- Brawl Shield
- Brawl Airdodge system
- Jumping out of shield is possible
- Pivot grabs have different/separate animations (?)
- Game looks less floaty/slow than Brawl
- Less universal landing recovery frames (?) (saw Fox/Mario recovering quickly from his Nair and Megaman from his spike and his flame sword extremely quickly) 5:34 for flame sword example.
- Percent takes a while to reset after a character has been killed.
- No intros yet.
- Megaman has same animation for first jump and double jump.
- Blue hitting effect (6:16)
- Mario's side-b still helps with horizontal recovery.
- Can't comment on overall hitstun, but maybe, my wishful thinking makes me thinking there's a little more of it overall.

Game looks to be in early stages so we'll be seeing a lot of change most probably so I would worry too much about undesired mechanics.

And is M2k play-testing? Than everything should be alright.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I wish someone with half a clue about the competitive environment could get a few mins with the game or even some questions answered.
...M2K is there now. He was beside/with the guy who filmed the megaman vs. mario video. He's also going to play test it today and release a video of himself playing apparently.

Nick Schovitz

Smash Cadet
I hope items will be implented in a way that we can actually see a good number of itme tournaments in the nation.

Kef

Smash Apprentice
...M2K is there now. He was beside/with the guy who filmed the megaman vs. mario video. He's also going to play test it today and release a video of himself playing apparently.
What?! How? Smash is not playable at E3. Where are you getting this info?

BSP

Smash Legend
The question isn't whether there's more hitstun. It's whether or not you can cancel it early or not. I'm really hoping no.

nessokman

Smash Lord
from what i see, this will be pretty competitive, moreso than brawl. They un nerfed bowser by making him faster. I thinnk with some glitchy ass techniques similar to wavedashing being discovered, it will be all good

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Yea, that looks very early in development. They didn't even have character entry intros so things are bound to change.
But at least there was no tripping in sight.

Kef

Smash Apprentice
from what i see, this will be pretty competitive, moreso than brawl. They un nerfed bowser by making him faster. I thinnk with some glitchy *** techniques similar to wavedashing being discovered, it will be all good
That's definitively way too early to take a conclusion from. Honestly, it's way too early to take a conclusion from almost anything though.

I like the positive attitude.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
@Bowser: Huh? ._.
@Pit: Upperdash Arm from Kid Icarus: Uprising. He also has the Guardian Orbitars from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Obviously for reflecting attacks.

That tree cutting move looks so low-priority. If you watched Sakurai show the game, you need to plant the tree first, and cut it whenever you want to.
How is no one noticing bowser drop kick?! AHHG!

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/bowser.html

Also nah, tree will probably have some use. It takes set up, but so does snake's mines and C4.
Mmkay.
Imagine you plant the tree near the ledge while your opponents off stage, and set it up so that a single chop will make it fall. The hitbox of the tree looks absolutely massive. The opponent gets read while trying to get up from the ledge, thats either a **** ton of damage or a stock. I ain't saying it's omg broken, but I have a feeling it will have it's uses. Villager can also probably camp near the tree against some characters if he has a stock lead or something seeings as how he has a nice way to deal with projectiles.

Just my 2 cents.

V-K

Smash Ace
lol M2K stood right there when Sakurai played the 1v1.
From his twitter

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
What?! How? Smash is not playable at E3. Where are you getting this info?
One of his sponsors, empire Arcadia, apparently got him a chance to do so but maybe not any more, I dunno have to wait for him to talk about it but he's definitely there so I'm sure he'll have some input.

Peter_Parker

Smash Cadet
NNID
thomfolk
3DS FC
3368-2346-7128
image.jpg

Mario appears to be tripping here. So there might be that.

Or he's being effected by a nick of Donkey Kong's move.

Peter_Parker

Smash Cadet
NNID
thomfolk
3DS FC
3368-2346-7128
He's pretty obviously getting hit.
I don't find it that obvious. Like I said it could be a nick. But the move appears to be a back-hand aimed towards Metroid.
And the hit-sequence Mario is going through too specific to the location/trajectory he's getting hit.

micegoose

Smash Rookie
Well no one tripped in that Megaman vs Mario match. Looks like there isn't tripping in the game currently, unless they were just lucky.

Revven

FrankerZ
it seems marios flood didn't go away, but hopefully its been revamp from brawl.

Don't expect it to stay. Remember Melee Kirby Side B with the Brawl reveal? That was there and then the next time we saw Kirby, it was gone.

Mario's FLUDD is irrelevant nowadays so I expect them to change it. But if they don't, well... it's clear they somehow couldn't think of anything else (which I find oddly suspicious). Either way, FLUDD, the way it was designed in Brawl was bad and since it's seen here doing the exact same thing, IF it stays, it'll still be bad. I'm calling it.

Edit: Forgot to mention but in speaking with Magus, he apparently saw someone air dodging to cancel the hitstun anim in one of the videos released. Not sure which one but we should be hunting for it so we can have a .gif of it for more clarity. Not looking good if that still exists.

Life

Smash Hero
I thought I saw a Samus airdodge out of tumble in Sakurai's trailer, but it didn't look like it happened as early as it would have in Brawl.

BSP

Smash Legend
Mario's FLUDD is irrelevant nowadays so I expect them to change it. But if they don't, well... it's clear they somehow couldn't think of anything else (which I find oddly suspicious). Either way, FLUDD, the way it was designed in Brawl was bad and since it's seen here doing the exact same thing, IF it stays, it'll still be bad. I'm calling it.

I don't think Fludd would've been that bad in Brawl if the game didn't have its ledge magnets. The concept was good; implementation, bad, like you said.

Fludd has so much potential. I don't see why they don't use it.

Any clarity on which video the supposed airdodge during stun was in?

Rykard

Smash Ace
I think the biggest thing i noticed is that they fixed the ledges so they are back to the way they were in 64 and Melee. That alone is the most fantastic news we got today from a competitive standpoint. One of the things that made 64 and melee so dynamic is the ledge play and edgeguarding which was more or less removed from brawl because of the auto sweet-spot mechanics.

In all honesty, I was pretty skeptical about this game at first, but the more I think about what they showed us today, the more it grows on me. The ledges were the biggest complaint most people had about brawl with planking and everything of that nature being exploited within a week or so of the game coming out. With that theoretically gone (at least in the footage today), this game is already shaping up to be great

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
And Samus' f-smash is from melee, yes it has more range, didn't know she lost the explosion in brawl.
Samus' f-smash never had explosions to begin with.

What do you guys' think of Megaman's f-smash. I believe this is the first f-smash that acts as a projectile. It's range seems huge, even compared to other characters' disjointed f-smashes.

nessokman

Smash Lord
It appears to have speed, i like that. I hope it isn't too fast to learn. Ledges will take some getting used to, i haven't played melee in a long time. I can imagine if someone is below the ledge coming up, and the tree hits them, it would meteor smash them down

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't find it that obvious. Like I said it could be a nick. But the move appears to be a back-hand aimed towards Metroid.

I'll gloss over 'metroid' but what do you think DK's right hand is doing? It's clearly his up-b.

Hello.

Smash Cadet
The game seems to play more faster than Brawl. Also anyone notice Sakurai never used the GamePad in the Developer Direct nor the Mega Man gameplay? He used the Pro Controller.

Of course, the game is still early in development. There was still a lot of cinematics like Brawl's intro.

Top Bottom